Mar-V-Lus

hi

whats the score with the 3 different designs on this label , is it different pressing plants , reissues etc as i have seen several of the tunes on all 3 designs

i have just started collecting the label and was curious about the different designs incase one was reissued etc as didnt want to get caught out paying top ££ if one was reissues etc

many thanks in advance

Social source share

• Replies 20
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Am pretty sure there wasn't any re-issues / later re-presses of the Mar-V-Lus catalogue. Just different label designs as you say. Off the top of my head the Du-Ettes came on 2 different designs but both originals.

Of course there are probably boots of perhaps the harder ones on the label (Blenders? Joseph Moore?) But more likely these would be blatant modern ones unless one of the 'old boys' can rememeber look-a-likes/boots from back in the day.

NB: Just checked the above 2 have come out on OuttaSite - but it does state that on the label.

Fabulous label, indeed group of labels. From northern to ballads to deep to funk! Dave Rimmer has all the discogs over at soulful Kinda Music

Edited by harrogatesoul
Social source share

The label with the flags is the earlier one, and that with the explosion is later. Difference was a change-over, rather than different pressing plants (although one or two plants may have used the older design a bit later than others. They DID have re-issues of their earlier "hits" also come out on the later design. One-Der-Ful and M-Pac also had a design changeover at that same time. All of them had slight variations in label design at different plants. Columbia Midwest (ZTSC) used a different design for all three labels from that of the other major plants. M-Pac had one with the same ink design but only colour difference (all yellow vs. yellow and white).

Social source share

Johnny Sayles - "Dont turn your back" is listed as 1963,explosions design.(6000).First on discography?

Yep,

First four issues all on 'explosion' label - the third of which - 6002 Alvin Cash - can also be found on the blue flags label.

Not seen any later than 6003 on the explosion label.

Edited by pikeys dog
Social source share

Looking back at my Mar-V-Lus records, I see that the explosion design was first. Mar-V-Lus started in 1963. One-Der-Ful had already been going from late 1962. All my early One-Der-Ful releases were pressed at Columbia Midwest, and have a "rainbow" design. The design changeover seems to occur in spring 1963. I thought that the style of the later One-Der-Ful label was analagous to the "explosion" design on Mar-V-Lus. And they seemed to be out at the same time. But, I had it reversed. One-Der Ful had started their changed design before Mar-V-Lus started, and Mar-V-Lus changed design later in that same year (1963), while One-Der-Ful didn't change. M-Pac also started in 1963, and my earliest are also Columbia pressings, with a fancy script, and after that a style similar to the later one, but with all yellow colour (maybe just a peculiarity of one pressing plant?), and then, finally, for most of the run, the yellow BG with the white "eye-slit' logo (similar to One-Der-Ful's).

So, Mar-V-Lus had a label design change that the other two labels did not. Midas, Toddlin' Town and Halo all seem to have been subsidiaries (at least partly-owned by The Leaners), and Kell-Mac was distributed by them. But their unrelated label design changes occurred at different times.

Social source share

Guest julesp1905

Johnny Sayles - "Dont turn your back" is listed as 1963,explosions design.(6000).First on discography?

There is also a mispelt "Johnny Sails" 6000

JM quotes it as being a demo, but here's an issue

post-10426-0-98985600-1312405885_thumb.j

Edited by julesp1905
Social source share

The label with the flags is the earlier one, and that with the explosion is later.

this is wrong

edit: should read the rest of the thread before posting :D

anyway, with the earlier titles which appear on both the explosion (either color variation) & the flag design. the flag copies are indeed 2nd press, legit but still later than the explosion label copies. There is an Alvin Cash 45 at least from memory (might be Twine Time) which is an example of this. Doesn't seem to alter the price much though on those titles.

Edited by Kris Holmes
Social source share

Wait until you get stuck into collecting Ha-Lo as well....

:hypo:

Did have quite a few Ha-Lo titles - About 25 releases in total was it? Recall 2 designs to my knowledge.. Salem Travellers & Redemption singers (i think!) on M-Pac / One Der Ful as well as Ha-Lo.

Midas & Toddlin' Town both owned by Ernie Leaner but would assume ownership with brother George? According to an interview with Deniece Williams Eugene Record had an interest in Toddlin' Town too. 'New Girl' obviously being a link with Jimmy & Entertainers / Accents versions across the labels. Isn't it their United dist. stickers you sometimes see on 45s?

Picqued my interest in Pruters' book again now so a bit of light chicago soul reading tonight I think. :thumbsup:

Edited by harrogatesoul
Social source share

Now I dont know where they are but... many years ago, when I was down at Johns (Soul Bowl) I happened to come across a promotional pack of playing cards with the M pac, MarvLus, Onederful logos on the back. I erm... opened it to take a look. Then I put the pack back in the box, and then back in the sellophane wrapper as if it had never been opened. Guess that doesnt make it mint then but how much would that be worth........ when I find it!!!!!!!!

Its a cracking piece of memorabilia and I'm sure John only had about half a dozen packs. Now thats rare :)

Steve

Social source share

this is wrong

edit: should read the rest of the thread before posting :D

anyway, with the earlier titles which appear on both the explosion (either color variation) & the flag design. the flag copies are indeed 2nd press, legit but still later than the explosion label copies. There is an Alvin Cash 45 at least from memory (might be Twine Time) which is an example of this. Doesn't seem to alter the price much though on those titles.

Yes, "Twine Time" was on both designs. So, the second was a re-issue.

Social source share

Did have quite a few Ha-Lo titles - About 25 releases in total was it? Recall 2 designs to my knowledge.. Salem Travellers & Redemption singers (i think!) on M-Pac / One Der Ful as well as Ha-Lo.

Midas & Toddlin' Town both owned by Ernie Leaner but would assume ownership with brother George? According to an interview with Deniece Williams Eugene Record had an interest in Toddlin' Town too. 'New Girl' obviously being a link with Jimmy & Entertainers / Accents versions across the labels. Isn't it their United dist. stickers you sometimes see on 45s?

Picqued my interest in Pruters' book again now so a bit of light chicago soul reading tonight I think. :thumbsup:

Larry Nestor, pianist at one-der-ful, produced the jimmy and the entertainers record on toddlin' town. that's how the song ended up being done twice. He told me jimmy's last name once but i forgot.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert