What's The Story? (The Duck)

Hi All ....Ken what I am saying and after seeing probably over a million 45s in my life (must be around that mark) the record you have in my opinion is much rarer than the more common release, as "cross my hart" is a far better record, and rare,

Now record collecting is a strange world indeed, as Ted Massey the Midlands Top Rare Soul DJ said the other day on the subject of pricing & value of records, he mention the 80s and compared with todays prices, some records do not reflect the real price, I would go one step further and say it is sad that people spend so much money to pay for an in demand sound and not have a proper soul collection to fully understand why there record is so rare, rare does not mean it is a brilliant soul recording, well I don't think so anyway?

When the Glen Miller "where is the Love" first got played, I was lucky to already have it in my collection, when I was told how much it was selling for within 6 months I had 6 copies that I got of collectors of Jamaican recordings, and was lucky to buy from a mate the 1st Jamaican STAG copy in the UK £30 from Andrew in Notts, I still have not come across another copy as all the STAG copy's that are about are 2nd issues on yellow & white label, where the 1st issue is mauve & silver, I have noticed that Glen Miller other record on Doctor Bird sells for stupid money, as it's rubbish not rare and a waste of money, there is some excellent Jamaican music about at £5-10 each why spend good money on crap??

To conclude your value of £20 is your value, but just think before you sell it, that out there are people who by all theses bootlegs of classic rare records for stupid prices? and one day they will try and sell them. only to find out the dealers will offer them £2 each if they buy them at all, one day calling a record rare will have a proper meaning.

I was just lucky with the Glen Miller "where is the love" as initially I did not realize how rare the record was, although not in the same league "cross my hart" is rare and should be played as a quality SOUL SOUND, I am glad you play it. :thumbup: DAVE

Social source share

• Replies 63
  • Views 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

I too have both issue and demo on Pye Inter with 'Cross my heart' on the b-side. However unlike Dave's die-cut centre mine are both solid centres. Is that what you were think about Ken ? (Not for one moment insinuating you can't tell a pye from pye inter).

Pete - as an oracle on such matters which came first die-cut or solid or is just a different pressing plant ?

thanks

Graham

Social source share

I too have both issue and demo on Pye Inter with 'Cross my heart' on the b-side. However unlike Dave's die-cut centre mine are both solid centres. Is that what you were think about Ken ? (Not for one moment insinuating you can't tell a pye from pye inter).

Pete - as an oracle on such matters which came first die-cut or solid or is just a different pressing plant ?

thanks

Graham

I would have thought that there would have only been the one pressing run of that record, and that maybe they split them 50/50 but I honestly don't know in this case.

Social source share

thanks

Graham

You could be right, solid as well searched through a big heap of stuff it'll turn up.

Social source share

I would have thought that there would have only been the one pressing run of that record, and that maybe they split them 50/50 but I honestly don't know in this case.

:hatsoff2: Hi All I have to disagree with Pete, even though I think he was guessing, It's about 10% at the best, of PYE co DEMO with die cut centers, I personally have only about 5, I was told that they where die cut just for the Pirate Radio Stations of the time, also the US style Dinker was not used until the end of 66 any record that you may have with the US dinker was done by hand as a 1 of, the Die cut is pretty unique, I may be wrong, but this is the most plausible and logical answer. :thumbup: DAVE

Social source share

:hatsoff2: Hi All I have to disagree with Pete, even though I think he was guessing, It's about 10% at the best, of PYE co DEMO with die cut centers, I personally have only about 5, I was told that they where die cut just for the Pirate Radio Stations of the time, also the US style Dinker was not used until the end of 66 any record that you may have with the US dinker was done by hand as a 1 of, the Die cut is pretty unique, I may be wrong, but this is the most plausible and logical answer. :thumbup: DAVE

Yeah maybe you're right, but the percentage must be higher than that, maybe 30/70?

Social source share

Yeah maybe you're right, but the percentage must be higher than that, maybe 30/70?

:hatsoff2: HI ALL ....PETE YEH! maybe 25% as at least 2 copies would have been sent, again I seem to recall that RADIO LUXEMBOURG 208, had 5 DEMO'S, & many more of the BEATLES, 1962 LOVE ME DO, 45-R-4949 R&W DEMO,1st SOLD by the ROYAL RULER,

SINCE THEN THEE HAS BEEN ABOUT 8, TURNED UP ALL REPORTED TO HAVE BEEN PLAYED FROM THE GRAN DUCHY??

I suppose it all depends on what PYE labels CAMEO PARKWAY, COLPIX, CHESS, AND ALL, Are limited to 150 and CP are by far the fewest, RED BIRD especially the SHANGRI-LAS REMEMBER, are about and easy to find compared to BESSIE BANKS DEMO,

I was hoping that, things such as how many DEMO's where made by the different UK labels, would have already done, when I joined SOUL SOURCE?? but it still seams that MICK ROY RANKING JOHNNY BOY, YOURSELF & OTHERS. are the people to ask??

:ohmy: DAVE

Social source share

:hatsoff2: HI ALL ....PETE YEH! maybe 25% as at least 2 copies would have been sent, again I seem to recall that RADIO LUXEMBOURG 208, had 5 DEMO'S, & many more of the BEATLES, 1962 LOVE ME DO, 45-R-4949 R&W DEMO,1st SOLD by the ROYAL RULER,

SINCE THEN THEE HAS BEEN ABOUT 8, TURNED UP ALL REPORTED TO HAVE BEEN PLAYED FROM THE GRAN DUCHY??

I suppose it all depends on what PYE labels CAMEO PARKWAY, COLPIX, CHESS, AND ALL, Are limited to 150 and CP are by far the fewest, RED BIRD especially the SHANGRI-LAS REMEMBER, are about and easy to find compared to BESSIE BANKS DEMO,

I was hoping that, things such as how many DEMO's where made by the different UK labels, would have already done, when I joined SOUL SOURCE?? but it still seams that MICK ROY RANKING JOHNNY BOY, YOURSELF & OTHERS. are the people to ask??

:ohmy: DAVE

John reckons demos are mega rare but I disagree, I'm on my 4th demo of Jerry Jackson on Cameo Parkway now, if I've had four alone, and there were only 150, surely some mistake there!

Social source share

John reckons demos are mega rare but I disagree, I'm on my 4th demo of Jerry Jackson on Cameo Parkway now, if I've had four alone, and there were only 150, surely some mistake there!

:hatsoff2: HI PETE That's my piont, by now we should no how many of this & that's about record production in the UK?

I am sure that Davs Godin said it was only 100, when he was talking abouy Cubby Checkers "at the Discoteque" CP DEMO, Personally the CP label issues and DEMOs are a must have bunch of 45s/

I need a DEMO of Bunny Siglers "let the good times roll" if you see one or pick one up :thumbup: DAVE

Social source share

• 8 years later...
On 06/08/2011 at 22:44, Mick Holdsworth said:

Pete

It was booted well before the ABC issue - as James Conwel Jr, both sides with the correct titles and recorded at the right speed (The RT was speeded up) - It was a black label with silver text, can't remember the label name though - there were plenty around in about 1975 or so. Surprisingly scarce now - last copy I had flew out for £30 - that was about 4 years ago, haven't had another since.

Cheers

Mick

Just noticed the post above me by Ringleader, saying the same - 'sorry bout that.

Just found this fantastic thread and wondered about the others on "Patches" label and this is the James Conwell "Patches"

James A.jpg

James B.jpg

Soul Runners A.jpg

Soul Runners B.jpg

Don.jpg

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!