Record Lists From The Past

I was looking for an old list from years ago for some info on a record, and thought I'd post this up.

The first is from Craig Moerer about 1980. I'll take that Joseph Webster please.

post-4623-0-52944900-1312884027_thumb.jp post-4623-0-41244800-1312884091_thumb.jp

And this one from Simon Soussan a bit earlier - July 1976. How to win friends ...

post-4623-0-77623800-1312884006_thumb.jp

Interesting to see the early incarnations of his ling a long's - Sharon Scott became "Dena Barnes" etc

Cheers

Mick

• Helpful 1
Social source share

So, did you actually buy the stuff marked on the list Mick? :)

I got some of them - on the cheaper list at the top I had the Del Satins, Shirley Matthews etc, but things like the Rubies and Sharon Scott never emeged , possibly due to the fact they didn't exist !! A bit later the "Dena Barnes" These heartaches emerged, and the Cigarette Ashes was later advertised as "Judy Chuch", again never happened (not counting the UK female recording by C. Willis)

On the more expensive list, think I got Herbert Hunter and nothing else.

Cheers

Mick

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

5 copies of Mickey Lanay for $25, :ohmy:

If only we could go back Grant. I was going to sell a copy of this a few years ago, but Baz told me to hang on to it.

Social source share

It used to blow my mind looking at the cheap prices of expensive records whenever people posted these lists. But after a while I would look at the soul bowl lists and see that most of the records hadn't gone up and some have actually gone down from 30 years ago. How would you know back then which ones would go up -- ultimately you would have lost out buying everything. Still cool to look at though.

That craig moerer list does have a lot of nice stuff on it.

Social source share

Guest martyn

I got some of them - on the cheaper list at the top I had the Del Satins, Shirley Matthews etc, but things like the Rubies and Sharon Scott never emeged , possibly due to the fact they didn't exist !! A bit later the "Dena Barnes" These heartaches emerged, and the Cigarette Ashes was later advertised as "Judy Chuch", again never happened (not counting the UK female recording by C. Willis)

On the more expensive list, think I got Herbert Hunter and nothing else.

Cheers

Mick

I had these lists too but never bought anything - were any of them actually originals that he sent out (ie your herbert hunter) ? I know some were never pressed but did anyone who ordered those titles actually get them ?..............A mate of mine got The Renfro Orchestra - Case of Love instrumental off of his March 76 (I think ) list which I now own , but even that turned out to be a new recording if my memory serves me well

Social source share

I had these lists too but never bought anything - were any of them actually originals that he sent out (ie your herbert hunter) ? I know some were never pressed but did anyone who ordered those titles actually get them ?..............A mate of mine got The Renfro Orchestra - Case of Love instrumental off of his March 76 (I think ) list which I now own , but even that turned out to be a new recording if my memory serves me well

One of Simon's list is ok, :yes: the other one isn't. :no:

Social source share

Guest martyn

One of Simon's list is ok, :yes: the other one isn't. :no:

Thanks Dave , I just never trusted the lists to risk it .......being a mere 16yo at the time I probably wasnt clued up enough to distinguish !

Social source share

The Herbert Hunter was real, and as it has been pointed out, all the records on that list were real. As to weather he HAD all those titles to begin with is anyones guess. It was the only one I got.

The other list were all boots an re recordings, but we didn't have to ask in those days, you just knew. For example the Jades on Ree was obviously a boot and the Del Satins / Charades etc were all new recordings (in some cases I feel that they were so new the hadn't been built ie. Rubies).

Edited by Mick Holdsworth
Social source share

Guest martyn

The Herbert Hunter was real, and as it has been pointed out, all the records on that list were real. As to weather he HAD all those titles to begin with is anyones guess. It was the only one I got.

The other list were all boots an re recordings, but we didn't have to ask in those days, you just knew. For example the Jades on Ree was obviously a boot and the Del Satins / Charades etc were all new recordings (in some cases I feel that they were so new the hadn't been built ie. Rubies).

Seem to remember the "OH Lord Whats Happened to The Soul Fox " article in Black Echo's about that dodgy list , mainly concentrating on the Kenny Smith on Gold Spot he was selling .....Which turned out to be kosher - if he actually had them in stock (?) . While The Jades was an obvious boot on Ree, didnt some counterfiets turn up on Nite Life as well a couple of years later ?

Edited by martyn
Social source share

Seem to remember the "OH Lord Whats Happened to The Soul Fox " article in Black Echo's about that dodgy list , mainly concentrating on the Kenny Smith on Gold Spot he was selling .....Which turned out to be kosher - if he actually had them in stock (?) . While The Jades was an obvious boot on Ree, didnt some counterfiets turn up on Nite Life as well a couple of years later ?

I think there where some green Nite Life boots around at one time.

Talking of The Jades on Nite Life, as anybody on here got my old copy, easy to tell mine I coloured the lettering with a red marker.

post-9388-0-39211800-1312932823_thumb.jp

Social source share

Guest audiavant

The clue being the list with Jades on Nite-Life looks ok, the list with Jades on Ree not ok.

I don`t need a clue-hence the emoticon.

Thanks.

Social source share

Guest martyn

I think there where some green Nite Life boots around at one time.

Talking of The Jades on Nite Life, as anybody on here got my old copy, easy to tell mine I coloured the lettering with a red marker.

The copies I seem to remember knocking about were yellow 'issues' supposedly , would have been late 70s or very early 80s as I remember handling one in the record bar at Wigan ....Might be wrong about the colour - it was 30 odd years ago with Mr Riker in attendance !

Social source share

Guest audiavant

The Jades I had was black and silver, can't remember label name for sure but think it was a nite life. :huh:

Ree was defo black and silver.

Social source share

The copies I seem to remember knocking about were yellow 'issues' supposedly , would have been late 70s or very early 80s as I remember handling one in the record bar at Wigan ....Might be wrong about the colour - it was 30 odd years ago with Mr Riker in attendance !

You are correct...the bootlegs had yellow lookalike labels and were on thin vinyl.

Has anyone got the Soul Symbol lists that were pumped out in the early 8Ts...they were SImon Soussans actual collection of originals...absolutely packed with quality stuff and all at crazy cheap prices even for that time! Sweet, sweet memories!

:thumbup:

Social source share

Ree was defo black and silver.

I'm confused, although that doesn't take much these days!!!!

I used to have the Jades on Ree many, many years ago (25-30 possibly). I can't for the life of me remember where or who it went to (maybe Pat Brady / John Manship / Carl Fortnum... don't recall) but I'm damn sure it would have come from John Anderson. John as we all know didn't deal in boots.... and, to make things even more interesting, I'm 99.9 percent sure that my copy was stamped. Can anyone add anything more?

Best

Steve

Social source share

I'm confused, although that doesn't take much these days!!!!

I used to have the Jades on Ree many, many years ago (25-30 possibly). I can't for the life of me remember where or who it went to (maybe Pat Brady / John Manship / Carl Fortnum... don't recall) but I'm damn sure it would have come from John Anderson. John as we all know didn't deal in boots.... and, to make things even more interesting, I'm 99.9 percent sure that my copy was stamped. Can anyone add anything more?

Best

Steve

Yep, all Ree copies are boots (or reissues), there's no such original label as Ree for The Jades. The yellow Nite Life ones must have come out several years later.

Social source share

Guest martyn

You are correct...the bootlegs had yellow lookalike labels and were on thin vinyl.

Has anyone got the Soul Symbol lists that were pumped out in the early 8Ts...they were SImon Soussans actual collection of originals...absolutely packed with quality stuff and all at crazy cheap prices even for that time! Sweet, sweet memories!

:thumbup:

Thanks Flynny , nice to know the old grey matter still works sometimes :thumbup:

Social source share

I think it me that has got the colour wrong (boot) reading other posts.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!