Captain Croasdell Does It Again New Kent 45's

A nice new batch of Kent City And Town 45's have just landed at Bicknell Towers and what beauties they are too, as ever Mr Croasdell and the masters of soul at Ace/Kent have gone the extra mile with this latest batch of stunning 45's, first class sound quality, well presented and just darn good, not really collecting records so full on as I once did anymore these releases still keep the buzz going and warrent being in any collection, quality legit records for around £10.00 a pop, pretty sure all the leading dealers will be stocking these. check out the Ace Records website for further information www.acerecords.com

Candi Staton - One More Hurt b/w Do Right Woman - City 020 - Sublime, stunning, simply as good as it gets,

The Paramount Four - Sorry Ain't The Word b/w James Carpenter - (Marriage Is Only) A State Of Mind - City 021 - Blinding, just hits all the right spots.

J T Rhythm - My Sweet Baby b/w O.C. Tolbert - All I Want Is You - City 022 Bugger me Ady give us a break pal, quality and simply outstanding.

Jackie Lee - Anything You Want aka Any Way You Want b/w Jackie Lee - Trust Me - City 023 - Long overdue for release, without question two of the finest recordings which were never released at the time, well worth the forty year wait, awesome.

The Hytones - Good News b/w Young Brothers - What's Your Name - Town 141

Trini Lopez - Sinner Not A Saint b/w Johnny Copeland - No Puppy Love - Town 142

Tommy Tate - If You Got To Love Somebody b/w Luther Ingram - Trying To Find My Love - Town 143

The Sound Of Young Hollywood - Mirwood LTDEP 011 Limited edition EP

Jackie Lee - Oh,My Darlin'

The Olympics - I'll Do A Little Bit More

The Mirettes - He's Alright With Me

Bobby Garrett - Keep It Coming

This EP looks good, sounds good and by golly it does you good, has an authentic 60's EP look to it and proves that Fred Smith and James Carmichael certainly had a good thing going on the West Coast in the mid 60's, well done Ady you deserve the first soul related MBE mate, arise Sir Croasdell or shall we just call you King Croasdell lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

• Replies 24
  • Views 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Guest trickbag

can see why your excited mark, some great stuff there, all have been posted on you tube

by soundofsoulvienna,like the bobby garrett-keep it coming has the same backing track as the

olympics-mine exclusivley, never tire of hearing it.

ricky.

Social source share

I'd be excited if I just got £80 worth of records for nothing :lol: (to clarify: not a pop at Mark but a lot of people can't afford to buy them all, however good they are)

do Kent sell out of every copy, because they never ask me if I want to stock any, I'm pretty sure I could manage to sell half a dozen of everything they put out.

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

Guest trickbag

im sure that mark isnt the only dj on here thats on

ace/kents mailing list to receive their products,but

he is the first to write a critque of the recordings,

and i agree some super stuff by kent/ady.so if anyone

wants to send me something to review please do :lol:

ricky.

Social source share

Totally agree with Mark on this one...

Ady and the team take a bow ,not just for the 45's mentioned but for all the stuff on the kent 45's and anniversary stuff ,that was previously unknown /un-issued .

Not wishing to sour or bring this thread/post into another dispute :D:boxing:ranting_1.gif

From the perspective that the ethos of the rare soul scene has always been about new discoveries ,i wonder how many venues/ promotors /dj's will rush to get these onto the decks even though some of em constantly insist they are an "oldies" event ?

Point being, these records are not expensive and readily available to all ,unlike a lot of rare soul originals :g:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Hi Ady

Coul you put a Candi Statton and a Jackie Lee-Anyway you wanna to one side for me. I could pick them up at the Anniversary.

Cheers Kev.

Also Ady the biggest round of applause at Mark Chaimbelain's 50th Party was for Willie Bollinger 1/2 way through the song half the room started a slow clap. Great moment i thought I'd share with you.

See you at the anniversary.

Kev

Social source share

Pete i'm not even sure Mark gets all the 45s we put out, as they're limited very few indeed go out as promo, 10 each at the most

I'll get you wholesale details on Tiuesday, everyone's free to make an order, just ask on the Ace web site or pm me

Cheers

Ady

Just wanted to praise your efforts gaffer, credit where it's due and as ever these little beauties hit the spot.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

I'd be excited if I just got £80 worth of records for nothing :lol: (to clarify: not a pop at Mark but a lot of people can't afford to buy them all, however good they are)

do Kent sell out of every copy, because they never ask me if I want to stock any, I'm pretty sure I could manage to sell half a dozen of everything they put out.

Only the Kent Select (City prefix) are limited, I think five have sold out completely so far, but some of the regulars (Town prefix) sell out over time too.

I just sent you wholesale contact details; if anyone else needs 'em just ask.

Ady

Social source share

:hatsoff2: HI ALL....Totaly agree with your point Pete, however in fairness to the 1oo CLUB ALL-NIGTER'S, for 17 years of giving out the Anniversary 45 to the paying public, I was given a copy from Mick, but the Demand and common sense of giving a free copy, to someone who does not go there, (I have asked to be put on the guest list at least 3 X) the real reason I don't go, is my mate Jim Silles, a 100 CLUB regular in the early days,stopped going, also the atmosphere reminds me of BLACKPOOL MECCA, nothing wrong with that, i suppose but it all becomes a we bit clicky, great people, I suppose I never gave it a chance, the last visit there, Mick said it's great here, I said yeh if you don't like rare up tempo soul??

The subject of geting yourself on a record company mail list depends on 2 factors only by promotion of the company's product, are you a DJ who plays to a large crowd or are you a music journalist for a paper (I don't no if Dave Rimmer gets free review stuff? I am sure he must) the last stuff I got was from Lawrence Cane Honyset from TROJAN Sanctuary Records, but nothing these days, :g: DAVE

Social source share

:hatsoff2: HI ALL....Totaly agree with your point Pete, however in fairness to the 1oo CLUB ALL-NIGTER'S, for 17 years of giving out the Anniversary 45 to the paying public, I was given a copy from Mick, but the Demand and common sense of giving a free copy, to someone who does not go there, (I have asked to be put on the guest list at least 3 X) the real reason I don't go, is my mate Jim Silles, a 100 CLUB regular in the early days,stopped going, also the atmosphere reminds me of BLACKPOOL MECCA, nothing wrong with that, i suppose but it all becomes a we bit clicky, great people, I suppose I never gave it a chance, the last visit there, Mick said it's great here, I said yeh if you don't like rare up tempo soul??

The subject of geting yourself on a record company mail list depends on 2 factors only by promotion of the company's product, are you a DJ who plays to a large crowd or are you a music journalist for a paper (I don't no if Dave Rimmer gets free review stuff? I am sure he must) the last stuff I got was from Lawrence Cane Honyset from TROJAN Sanctuary Records, but nothing these days, :g: DAVE

I wasn't really talking about getting stuff for free Dave - I was just saying that if they needed to promote the product a little more, I'd be happy to stock it.

Social source share

I stock the kent stuff so does Roger Banks as do numerous outlets it's also on Amazon plus they are always mentioned on here, I would imagin you have to be blind not to be aware of them, so as far as Kent releases are concerned I don't think they could do anymore to promote them, which is why some titles sell out quickly.

Social source share

I wasn't really talking about getting stuff for free Dave - I was just saying that if they needed to promote the product a little more, I'd be happy to stock it.

:hatsoff2: HI ALL......SILLY ME! PETE, I see what your saying, you want to stock some ACE/KENT Records, that should not be to hardm make sure you get a return for old stock, you don't want to get stuck with half-dozen Lux Mead Lewis records?? mind you he did make them 88's SWING. :hypocrite: And cheers for letting me have the free promotional stuff, that's cute touch :thumbup: DAVE

Social source share

I stock the kent stuff so does Roger Banks as do numerous outlets it's also on Amazon plus they are always mentioned on here, I would imagin you have to be blind not to be aware of them, so as far as Kent releases are concerned I don't think they could do anymore to promote them, which is why some titles sell out quickly.

Well that's fine then, if they're selling out of them, they don't need any help from me.

Social source share

Guest enchantedrythm

Only if we were selling out of them all. We're not, you're free to help if you fancy it.

in this day and age i dont see how you could sell out, its not like the days where 500 copies are made and 10 sell to leave 490 in some cut out store to be picked up by some limey 10/15 years later. unless you guarantee a limited run, there can be as many as demand requires.

so adrian put me on your mailing list and i'll give you a big kiss at the weekend-also make sure my names on the door list because i love you anyway-chris fletcher XXXX

Social source share

All the Kent Select with the City prefix are limited press Chris, that's why some have sold out.

What's a guest list? I don't understand the concept!

A guest list is selling tickets, keeping the number for fire regs and keeping the names of the applicants on file thats all. Some guest lists are kept at the door so you can tick off who arrives and who doesnt therefore the people who cannot attend get the benefit of any freebies ie - 45

Social source share

I went down to my local record shop Monorail and bought the Mirwood EP, Candi Staton .and Jackie lee took them down to The Flying Duck and played them at Soul Cellar last Saturday night. I remember doing that every fortnight. Buying new records from a shop. Tell the kids taht these days and they won't believe you.

Keep up the releases.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!