Bournemouth: The End For Northern Soul All-Niters In The South?

Karen we travel the distances because we have no other choice...if you had a selection of venues on your doorstep wouldn't you stay closer to home? To us the travelling is all part of the build up ...lol

That's the point I'm trying to make; If I lived up North I wouldn't travel down South - there's so much choice up there :)

Social source share

Great for Rod & Sally to try this in Bournemouth, but as others have said just don't seem that there's enough folk into "rare and underplayed" for a Niter down there. Exactly the same round these parts where we've run gigs til 4 am (but no Niters). Put on a rare and underplayed night and you get 70 in, mostly travellers. Put on an oldies night and the locals all come out the woodwork for a knees up. But then again personally I wouldn't go to a pure olides all nighter if it was across the road from me gaff. Two very distinct scenes these days, some shared musical interest, but that's about it.

Very true Steve. It's so sad to think that people don't want to move the scene on and would prefer to stay on a nostalgia trip. There's nothing wrong with oldies, the class oldies that is, and indeed most "rare and underplayed" djs include them in their sets anyway. This was done very successfully at our allnighter, but I just guess the words rare and underplayed just frighten people off. Crazy.

But surely that is what the whole scene has always been about, djs wanting to discover new records. It certainly was the case at Wigan, Stafford, Yate etc and some great tunes were discovered, which would probably be classified as oldies or underplayed now. Why has this culture changed so much? Or is it just an age thing and people don't want to step outside their comfort zone. For me if the scene stagnated I would hang up my dancing shoes !!!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I posted about a year or two about this Rod, but it seems to me the vast majority of people seem to stagnate musically in their early 20s, whether it be soul, rock, whatever music. Witness the numbers that will block all the roads around Twickenham for hours because they want to go to a Phil Collins or Status Quo concert. Or how many 30 somethings will fight each other for a ticket to see a "Take That" reunion. No different in soul from what I can see, there are those that like to hear something new, and a far greater number who's receptors for hearing something fresh fell off many years ago.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I posted about a year or two about this Rod, but it seems to me the vast majority of people seem to stagnate musically in their early 20s, whether it be soul, rock, whatever music. Witness the numbers that will block all the roads around Twickenham for hours because they want to go to a Phil Collins or Status Quo concert. Or how many 30 somethings will fight each other for a ticket to see a "Take That" reunion. No different in soul from what I can see, there are those that like to hear something new, and a far greater number who's receptors for hearing something fresh fell off many years ago.

What seems to happen with live music events throughout country is that many venture into the more underground scenes rather than the mainstream ie: Festivals promoting Blues, Folk, World Music, Indie etc etc thus broadening their minds musically, seems that has'nt happened on the Northern Soul Scene apart from with the Rare, Underplayed, Latin, RnB, Funk Edged Allniters/Nites like Bidds, Lifeline, Rugby, Burnley etc. What does that say about an Oldies event ??? & I love Oldies too !!!

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

This thread reminds me of how disappointed I was when the Berkeley allnighters failed to get enough people in.

Yet the Oldies night - Yate Revival. Packed the place.

I would think that Bournemouth and Berkeley would be trying to attract many of the same people, with Berkely having the added benefit of being pretty close to the M5.

It is a shame for both. But luckily for us dancers, Mike E seems to have found the right blend in the Main Room and the Ton Of Dynamite room at Gloucester.

Social source share

Very true Steve. It's so sad to think that people don't want to move the scene on and would prefer to stay on a nostalgia trip. There's nothing wrong with oldies, the class oldies that is, and indeed most "rare and underplayed" djs include them in their sets anyway. This was done very successfully at our allnighter, but I just guess the words rare and underplayed just frighten people off. Crazy.

But surely that is what the whole scene has always been about, djs wanting to discover new records. It certainly was the case at Wigan, Stafford, Yate etc and some great tunes were discovered, which would probably be classified as oldies or underplayed now. Why has this culture changed so much? Or is it just an age thing and people don't want to step outside their comfort zone. For me if the scene stagnated I would hang up my dancing shoes !!!

It has undoubtedly changed Sal and the single biggest reason is the Soul Nights thing. Age, laziness, jealousy and childish rivalry all come into it but they are elements tied up with the number of easy nights that are available to people across the region. Bloody hell, everytime I go on Facebook it seems like the Gosport Soul Club are posting me about Five Soul nights a month just in the Portsmouth area, thats not an exaggeration, it drives me nuts. Me and Roz drove down from London to try one and it was so depressing. When I asked why the music was so stale, the Promoter there ( A nice guy) told me that to people there BENNY TROY was a new record...In which case I would say TABS is definetly right when he says there are two distinct scenes now.

As for the guy who says Southampton could sustain a classic/oldies AllNighter. That might be the case if it was possible to stage a Niter of any description in Southampton which it is not. I should know, over 35 years, I have tried enough times to find a venue and the only times we have ever been able to pull it off was way back in the day in places like St Marks Church Hall which we hired privately for a birthday party and just went on until dawn...(Great memories of Pete Widd backdropping into a pile of broken glass and my mate Tommy Leech laying out 200 quid to stock the bar and waking up with 30 quid in his pocket the next day after the bar got drunk dry and he passed out behind it!!!) Thing is in Southampton, for decades we had the red light district and all the West Indian 'Blues' and 'Shebeenz' which I myself frequented for many, many years. Trouble was all the spin off crime and police attention, drugs, murders and everything else made damned sure that anytime anyone ever suggested to a club (or Licensing Magistrates) that a Soul event could last all night, they reacted in horror. The 'All night' reputations of the blues from the late 60s onwards, killed any chance ever of Niters in Southampton. That was made even worse when Acid House happened and parties in warehouses and houses and factories saw mass police raids etc...Very annoying being nowadays all the crap dance and 80s revival Student clubs stay open to 5 am anyway and spue out hundreds of legless young students, high on all sorts of gear and vomiting their way back home through the town...

Anyway, there has been people from Southampton travelling going right back to the early 70s as you well know which is what made this so strange to me. I know WIDD was driving to Sam's birthday the next day that was a long return trip for him which is why he was not there, (GUY COOCH was in Spain) but as for all the others, only they could say why they missed out. Their loss at the end of the day.

Edited by rich chorley
Social source share

Perhaps the South/South West/South Coast is'nt ready for a blend of Rare, Underplayed, Current Oldies & Funk Edged Soul in the same venue without separating into a Oldies Main Room & a Rare & Underplayed Room then, perhaps that's the only way to go, shame but we tried but just to let you all know......loads of real class oldies were played @ The Soul In The South Allnighter on Friday August 12th, it's a pity the South did'nt support it in the way it should have done !!!

This thread reminds me of how disappointed I was when the Berkeley allnighters failed to get enough people in.

Yet the Oldies night - Yate Revival. Packed the place.

I would think that Bournemouth and Berkeley would be trying to attract many of the same people, with Berkely having the added benefit of being pretty close to the M5.

It is a shame for both. But luckily for us dancers, Mike E seems to have found the right blend in the Main Room and the Ton Of Dynamite room at Gloucester.

Perhaps the South/South West/South Coast is'nt ready for a blend of Rare, Underplayed, Current Oldies & Funk Edged Soul in the same venue without having a Main Room for Oldies & the other for Rare & Underplayed. It's a shame because there were loads of real class oldies played in the our Main Room & it should have been far better attended by the South to support what was without doubt the best dj line up EVER to have graced the South Coast !!! Thank you to the 10-15 Southerners who did turn up & the 80 or so regular Allnighter folk from the Midlands & beyond including those from Carlisle/Nottingham/Lincoln etc, you were BRILLIANT !!!

Social source share

As for the guy who says Southampton could sustain a classic/oldies AllNighter. That might be the case if it was possible to stage a Niter of any description in Southampton which it is not. I should know, over 35 years, I have tried enough times to find a venue

There are all nighters in Southampton all the time! Just not Northern Soul nighters.

I'm pretty sure that Rhino have had all nighters at Bank Holidays for the last 10 years, and Junk have them nearly every month, the last one I think was the beginning of July. Mind you if you don't know anything about Techno, Rave, Drum & Bass you might have missed them.

Still that doesn't move the 'rare soul scene' forward and it is a great loss if Sal and Rod are made to feel that their passion and dedication is under valued when it shouldn't be. I have no idea how to set up an event let alone promote it and I'm not suggesting for a minute that this nighter could have been arranged any better but maybe something different needs to be tried, again I wouldn't know what ,I have no experience at all. Just trying to remain positive and hoping that Sal and Rod can find the magic button to get the sort of attendances that their hard work and dedication deserve.

:hatsoff2:

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Having read all the replies, I still stand by my original perception. With all the people who claim to be 'into the scene' in this area, the turnout for an event like this was absolutely pathetic. It might be happening in other places I am sure but that is equally as sad. And I am still baffled as to why 193 adults say they are considering attending an event and then don't. Everybody who is seriously into this scene knows how tough it is for Promoters and thats a hell of a lot of people to write off but those who say ignore FACEBOOK resposnes are clearly right...

As for there being over 100 DJ's in this area concerned, then why were the majority of them not there then? Why? Because they were not booked?? DJ's are Soul fans first are they not? .

I,m afraid my friend there are too many of these types about who will gladly walk to china over broken glass to dj in a cesspit ,but when it comes to going up the road to dance to someone elses music.......not me i,m busy.........they're all frauds to a man

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

sally and rod just getyaself to the venues that have the people at that make it worthwhile attending.......along with top music :thumbsup:

Social source share

There are all nighters in Southampton all the time! Just not Northern Soul nighters.

I'm pretty sure that Rhino have had all nighters at Bank Holidays for the last 10 years, and Junk have them nearly every month, the last one I think was the beginning of July. Mind you if you don't know anything about Techno, Rave, Drum & Bass you might have missed them.

Still that doesn't move the 'rare soul scene' forward and it is a great loss if Sal and Rod are made to feel that their passion and dedication is under valued when it shouldn't be. I have no idea how to set up an event let alone promote it and I'm not suggesting for a minute that this nighter could have been arranged any better but maybe something different needs to be tried, again I wouldn't know what ,I have no experience at all. Just trying to remain positive and hoping that Sal and Rod can find the magic button to get the sort of attendances that their hard work and dedication deserve.

No, I do not know much about those forms of music but I have been in the Rhino a number of times - the last time on the re-opening special last year...courtesy of my young friend Raymond Williams on the door. Those venues as you well know are aimed fairly and squarely at people under twenty five years old. When I have listened to the standard of records played in there, (particularly in reference to vocal standards) it has reinforced my gratitude for being born at a time that left me able to appreciate the Soul era...As for their 'All Nighters' yes, but being they close every weekend on a normal night at 5 am now anyway, whats the difference of an extra hour or two - I thought I pointed that out. None of those Bedford Place clubs are ever going to lose out on their Student/under 25 groover clientele for the risky business of Northern Soul so not sure of your point...

Edited by rich chorley
Social source share

No, I do not know much about those forms of music but I have been in the Rhino a number of times courtesy of my young friend Raymond on the door. Those venues as you well know are aimed fairly and squarely at pople under twenty five years old. When I have listened to the standard of records played in there, (particularly in reference to vocal standards) it has reinforced my gratitude for being born at a time that left me able to appreciate the Soul era...As for their 'All Nighters' yes, but being they close every weekend on a normal night at 5 am now anyway, whats the difference of an extra hour or two - I thought I pointed that out. None of those Bedford Place clubs are ever going to lose out on their Student/under 25 groover clientele for the risky business of Northern Soul so not sure of your point...

We've got a number of clubs like that in Bournemouth, that stay open til 6am. But as you said they cater to students and hen/stag parties. In fact they have all ripped up their dance floors and replaced them with concrete !!! Totally unsuitable venues for a proper nighter even if they would play ball !!!

Social source share

No, I do not know much about those forms of music but I have been in the Rhino a number of times courtesy of my young friend Raymond on the door. Those venues as you well know are aimed fairly and squarely at pople under twenty five years old. When I have listened to the standard of records played in there, (particularly in reference to vocal standards) it has reinforced my gratitude for being born at a time that left me able to appreciate the Soul era...As for their 'All Nighters' yes, but being they close every weekend on a normal night at 5 am now anyway, whats the difference of an extra hour or two - I thought I pointed that out. None of those Bedford Place clubs are ever going to lose out on their Student/under 25 groover clientele for the risky business of Northern Soul so not sure of your point...

I,m afraid my friend there are too many of these types about who will gladly walk to china over broken glass to dj in a cesspit ,but when it comes to going up the road to dance to someone elses music.......not me i,m busy.........they're all frauds to a man

I think you are right....Never quite got what being a 'DJ' does to certain people's egos. It's only playing some records. Some do it a lot better and with more taste and style but you're not making the bloody records. I always think most of the best DJ's are pretty modest people and I would personally like to hear from these supposed '100 DJ's' in this area' in this thread now as regards why they don't think a forward thinking style Niter is worth attending, but I am not holding my breath...

Social source share

I doubt very much that many of those 100 local jocks had even heard of any of the names on our dj line up, simply because of their commitment to local Oldies nites or even considered attending an Allniter that often these days. If so, why put on a Soul nite the following nite or was it just to encourage people not to go the Allniter....seems weird to me ???

The South these days is littered with local Soul nites for local people that rarely travel 20 miles let alone 200. How are they supposed to know anything about the real soul scenes in this country anymore ???

Perhaps it's totally true, the Northern Soul Allnighter in the South is dead, at least on the South Coast anyway.

Social source share

If so, why put on a Soul nite the following nite or was it just to encourage people not to go the Allniter....seems weird to me ???

If you're on about Toddy & Anne's do, they've done that soul night for years and years to the same time-table so it wouldn't have been to upset anyone. I think Mr Abbott came to the right conclusion; the South just aren't an allnighter or progressive type of soul fan. :)

Social source share

I know its a novel idea and I know people would not take kindly to it but to me, I cannot see why people should not be occasionally prepared to alter their time schedules or even cancel a Soul Night when there is something like this type of Niter on Karen. I don't understand all this bollocks. Far too many people promoting do's in the south and why???? Like I said better one good Niter every couple of months with a few hundred people, good DJ'S and something to really look forward to than ten bloody 'soul Nights' inbetween, although i accept this is probably not going to happen now, sadly...I suppose it's about how you view a 'scene'. I just think that in the past two decades, people's ego's as regards 'their' nights and 'their' DJ's have taken over from what were the original driving ethics, i.e travelling, hearing records you had not heard before or records that had been almost forgotten, mixed in with a few classics and most of all wanting to stay up all night with other people who love this music...To have all that on your doorstep should be a dream for a Northern Soul fan....100 bloody DJ's indeed, in the 70s there were a bloody handful down here, Northern do's were rarer and and better for it too...which is perhaps why we were prepared to travel in the first place for that mix I just described.....Yes Dave is right, but I still think a lot of it is down to ego and that is the saddest bloody part.

Social source share

I know its a novel idea and I know people would not take kindly to it but to me, I cannot see why people should not be occasionally prepared to alter their time schedules or even cancel a Soul Night when there is something like this type of Niter on Karen. I don't understand all this bollocks. Far too many people promoting do's in the south and why???? Like I said better one good Niter every couple of months with a few hundred people, good DJ'S and something to really look forward to than ten bloody 'soul Nights' inbetween, although i accept this is probably not going to happen now, sadly...I suppose it's about how you view a 'scene'. I just think that in the past two decades, people's ego's as regards 'their' nights and 'their' DJ's have taken over from what were the original driving ethics, i.e travelling, hearing records you had not heard before or records that had been almost forgotten, mixed in with a few classics and most of all wanting to stay up all night with other people who love this music...To have all that on your doorstep should be a dream for a Northern Soul fan....100 bloody DJ's indeed, in the 70s there were a bloody handful down here, Northern do's were rarer and and better for it too...which is perhaps why we were prepared to travel in the first place for that mix I just described.....Yes Dave is right, but I still think a lot of it is down to ego and that is the saddest bloody part.

As I posted earlier locals from what I am getting from friends/Promoters around the Country are not as a rule, supporting their respective local soul do's. I note from the numbers of Travellers that Sallie and Rod have mentioned that attended against locals. That is an extreme inbalance but at my own Niter in Gloucester we are getting increasing numbers of travellers against decreasing numbers of locals. We even get people travelling 50+ plus miles to see the same DJ's we get in the Ton of Dynamite room, whereas they are only 5 minutes away or so from the same line up. Whats that about then, you may say?. Yes, there are at least 100 DJ's locally? Love the comments of Peggy Babcock and Terry you are spot on mate.

Mike

Edited by Mike E
Social source share

I know its a novel idea and I know people would not take kindly to it but to me, I cannot see why people should not be occasionally prepared to alter their time schedules or even cancel a Soul Night when there is something like this type of Niter on Karen.

Why would you think they'd do that? After all, most of the punters attending that night wouldn 't have done a nighter anyway including the promoters and many, I'm sure, look forward to their monthly outing there. If it was that important to have a weekend with nothing else on then Sallie and Rod should have chosen a different date. However, every weekend has something on.

It's sad it wasn't sucessful but as I've said before, it's no biggie to a nighter fan like me (and Lindsay) as I'll hop in my car and go to many others in the Country :) At least they tried :wub:

Social source share

Although I was there for only a couple of hours, apart from the early closure, I thought it it was a great night!!The lack of local support and the "if I'm not D.J.,ing, I'm not coming" attitude is not new and certainly not unique to Bournemouth! ! Learn. from this, find a more suitable and "scene friendly" venue (not easy, I know) keep an eye on your costs and keep going!! I'll certainly be there to support you!!!

Des Parker

Edited by SOUL.INC
Social source share

The soul-source calendar is not the Bible and not all promoters use it either; Events can be added by anyone for any reason. An input date here doesn't mean that's the date it's been confirmed with the venue for example.

This link shows that Soul Shoes is a very regular event going on for some time and each event is only added to the calendar a month before the off although it's been 'booked' for a lot longer than that I expect.

As for the 7th Brighton event, that's regular too, well, 7 so far, and he has quite a following on his own social-type website so has a customer base at hand who would be loyal followers. They've got quite a community going on over there which has been growing for quite some time.

Does it beg the question, playing the Devils Advocate, that in fact there wasn't room for another event in the South in the first place as the two soul nights I've mentioned are long standing and well attended (unsure about Brightons numbers though) and I've not even mentioned the ton of others in the South that have been going a long time but don't draw so much attendance.

London is the South and the 100 club nearly closed due to the lack of punters - prime example of a great allnighter not being supported by us.

Too many events, not enough people and not enough weekends. :(

Social source share

We can all think of excuses why people DID'NT attend but with the massive amount of Soul nites across the region, it would be nice to find out from those people at those clubs exactly why they did'nt come along to an Allniter that could have been a regular event & not just an annual one like Brighton ??? Sorry but a dozen locals in a region with a so-called Northern Soul following as massive as that (Soul nites it may be) is a disgrace & a total embarrassment to the scene down here !!! Nothing that has previously been said on this thread can alter that fact in my view.

Many thanks to all those great people who travelled from such far away places as Carlisle, Nottingham, Lincoln, Wolverhampton, Kettering,, Rugby, Banbury etc etc & even Nigeria as well !!! You are the true Soulies of the real Northern Soul Scene of this country & you all made this event the best niter atmospherically & musically that I personally have ever attended in this region....YOU ARE BRILLIANT !!!

Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

We can all think of excuses why people DID'NT attend but with the massive amount of Soul nites across the region, it would be nice to find out from those people at those clubs exactly why they did'nt come along to an Allniter that could have been a regular event & not just an annual one like Brighton ??? Sorry but a dozen locals in a region with a so-called Northern Soul following as massive as that (Soul nites it may be) is a disgrace & a total embarrassment to the scene down here !!! Nothing that has previously been said on this thread can alter that fact in my view.

Many thanks to all those great people who travelled from such far away places as Carlisle, Nottingham, Lincoln, Wolverhampton, Kettering,, Rugby, Banbury etc etc & even Nigeria as well !!! You are the true Soulies of the real Northern Soul Scene of this country & you all made this event the best niter atmospherically & musically that I personally have ever attended in this region....YOU ARE BRILLIANT !!!

cold hard truth is purely that the vast majority just dont want to or cant be bothered to got to nighters no matter where they are

Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

cold hard truth is purely that the vast majority just dont want to or cant be bothered to go to nighters no matter where they are

Social source share

Many thanks to all those great people who travelled from such far away places as Carlisle, Nottingham, Lincoln, Wolverhampton, Kettering,, Rugby, Banbury, Wiltshire lol etc

They're all regular travellers anyway :)

I think Andy's right... no matter how you wrap it up or present it, some just don't want anything different to that which they do already.

Like you say, it would be interesting to hear directly from those who didn't as to why.

Social source share

Mine neither. 100 per cent agreement.

Social source share

Mine neither. 100 per cent agreement.

They're all regular travellers anyway :)

I think Andy's right... no matter how you wrap it up or present it, some just don't want anything different to that which they do already.

Like you say, it would be interesting to hear directly from those who didn't as to why.

Seeing as this thread is about 4 days old now, it hardly looks like we are going to hear from them does it? (Too embarrassed maybe, some of them? And I suppose without their input it's just about run it's course.

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

snapback.pngrich chorley, on 17 August 2011 - 05:18 PM, said:

Seeing as this thread is about 4 days old now, it hardly looks like we are going to hear from them does it? (Too embarrassed maybe, some of them? And I suppose without their input it's just about run it's course.

They aren't on here that's why. Most of the people who go to strictly oldies events aren't on here, in fact most likely 90% of the scene aren't on here. I think you're wasting your time looking for a reason why the people who prefer to go to nostalgia nights didn't support Rod and Sallies. As several people have already said we have two scenes, which between the two some of us move but the majority stick with what they know (unfortunately). That's one of the reasons why nighters like Radcliffe, Stoke and Gloucester have two rooms. Some people drift between the two, but that's such a small percentage of the scene thesedays.

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

im going to go on a mission and ask everyone and anyone i know down this way if they would attend a nighter with the dj line up and music policy this one had, i will ask them if they like doing nighters, if they were to go to a nighter what music policy would they like, what djs would they like to hear playing, what time would they leave,where would the prefered town be for a nighter, how much they think is fair to charge for a nighter,how often would they attend, would they not go to a nighter if there was a soul night on the same night or same weekend, how far woudl they be willing to travel, and most of all to all those that dj would they attend a nighter with all the right boxes ticked for them would they attend if they wasnt asked to dj, then ask them if they would attend if they was asked to dj,

gonna draw up a chart and see what the answers add up to. not for any other reason than to see if a nighter would be sustainable in the south.

i love me nighters and im sick of having to travel minimum 2 hours for them also the costs of travelling etc so anything that could help cant be a bad thing or can it :g:

Social source share

Why would they be embarrassed? That's a bit of a rude assumption really.

LOL @ Bearsy :D

Social source share

Although I was there for only a couple of hours, apart from the early closure, I thought it it was a great night!!The lack of local support and the "if I'm not D.J.,ing, I'm not coming" attitude is not new and certainly not unique to Bournemouth! ! Learn. from this, find a more suitable and "scene friendly" venue (not easy, I know) keep an eye on your costs and keep going!! I'll certainly be there to support you!!!

Des Parker

Thanks Des for your words of encouragement, and to all the others that have voiced their support. As those who know us can verify, we are passionate about the music and the scene, and will not compromise on those beliefs by putting on a totally commercial allnighter.

Think we both need time now to reflect and see where we go from here. In the meantime though, I want to enjoy the scene and get out and hear the tunes that I love. See you in ToD room at Gloucester.

All the best

Sallie

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

As those who know us can verify, we are passionate about the music and the scene, and will not compromise on those beliefs by putting on a totally commercial allnighter.

Agree 100% :thumbsup:

Social source share

Why would they be embarrassed? That's a bit of a rude assumption really.

LOL @ Bearsy :D

Well, I've been called a lot worse than rude on various debates on here in the past so I think I'll accept that one quite happily. If you want me to be frank I am talking about the percentage of those people who did not come because they willingly wanted it to fail - as several people have touched upon and I happen to agree with that - and that all comes down to the ego stuff DJ'S/PROMOTERS etc and despite what Matt says there are a good fair few of those people on here although I am not surprised we have not heard from them.

Fair play BEARSY if you are up for doing that. Here are my answers as your first unofficial respondent to your poll.

1. yes, Niters are the Soul of the scene, too many boring Soul Nights.

2.The music policy at this last one was fine. As people have pointed out whatever the labels, there were plenty of classy oldies mixed in with the rest. Worked for me.

3. DJ'S from across the country if possible supported by a couple of locals if they are genuinely up to it, not just for tokenism etc.

4. Anytime between 4 and 7, depending on how tired the Mrs is.

5, Between 8 and 12 quid seems pretty fair, round it off at a tenner and most people would be happy.

6. Bournemouth, Poole, Southampton, Basingstoke, Swanage, Andover, Wareham, Salisbury, Dorchester, Shaftesbury anywhere between Southampton and the backside of Dorset etc, It might be peverse but I don't mind places out of the way in weird locations...

7. Most definetly yes, Niter over a regular Soul Nite every time...

8. If people managed to get a proper one going I'd try to support it on a regular basis....As for time prepared to travel that was a 2 hour travel anyway. The fact that it was on the South Coast was an incentive to me. Contrary to some views, I would rather travel south if it was a good Niter because I am from the south and would like to see the south hold up it's head proudly with its own Niter.

There you go mate, now all you have to do is get another 200 to come up with the same type of responses and in theory we are away! Thought I'd made my last contribution to this thread but I have now for sure! Good luck Sal and Rod, let us know if you come up with anything new.

Social source share

Yes but don't you end up with 200 people saying they'll come and they're up for it. As you said at the beginning, that's no sign that they'll actually pitch up. Isn't that what you said happened on FB?

And what's more I'm convinced that the vast majority don't want to hear anything different. Same ole' same ole' and the same all over I am sorry to say. People wanting to hear different stuff are in a minority, judging by attendances most places.

Steve

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

Wasn't gonna say anymore....but don't like where this is going !!! We've always attended local nights, where possible, and do not have a problem with any promoter, they do their thing and attract their own crowds, and we have respect for that. I think Rich just wondered why the promoters and their followers did not attend a local Allnighter.

We would like to thank those from Bournemouth and the surrounding area that did make the effort to come on Friday. It is just sad that others didn't want to show their support so that we could get a regular eg 4 times a year allnighter established on the South Coast.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Glawsters Best

Wasn't gonna say anymore....but don't like where this is going !!! We've always attended local nights, where possible, and do not have a problem with any promoter, they do their thing and attract their own crowds, and we have respect for that. I think Rich just wondered why the promoters and their followers did not attend a local Allnighter.

We would like to thank those from Bournemouth and the surrounding area that did make the effort to come on Friday. It is just sad that others didn't want to show their support so that we could get a regular eg 4 times a year allnighter established on the South Coast.

Sal

I really think the answer to this question goes back to when you original tried to put your first allnighter on at the railway club in Bournemouth every thing was going fine then out of the blue so sorry we can't do the allnighter police etc licenses etc etc etc you probably don't want me to say this but I'm going to we know the promoter from soul night at the railway club put the kibosh on it etc etc etc

as you said you have supported there events so why won't they support your's well we know the answer

short but to the point

Leon

Edited by Glawsters Best
Social source share

Sal

I really think the answer to this question goes back to when you original tried to put your first allnighter on at the railway club in Bournemouth every thing was going fine then out of the blue so sorry we can't do the allnighter police etc licenses etc etc etc you probably don't want me to say this but I'm going to we know the promoter from soul night at the railway club put the kibosh on it etc etc etc

as you said you have supported there events so why won't they support your's well we know the answer

short but to the point

Leon

If you remember Leon we were gonna do an allnighter at The Railway Club to celebrate Rod's 50th. It never got off the ground because of various issues at the Club..... and it went on to close down, which was a pity as it was a good local venue. One of the co-founders of the Railway Club, Tim Smithers, is now one of our djs and we are really pleased to have him on board. However, where we go from here remains to be seen. Will let you know when we've had a chance to reflect on things.

Social source share

I read it the same Steve, just is it realistic that someone is going to come on the thread to probably be chastised? If it's a promoter war thing can it go any other way?

Sorry, just cannot let this go...Hold on a minute...It's a debate...It would have been good to hear just as too why so many of those people don't feel able to support such an event, would be handy for future reference too and at the end of the day, they could have 'chastised' us back couldn't they? Promoter war - don't be so bloody dramatic...As Sal has said, her and Rod have supported all those people in the past and I have attended most of their nights at one time or another too. This was just a very definitive 'no-show' that surprised a few people and it would have been nice to know why - if there was resentments or jealousies, it's a one way thing, As for the sanctimonious 'why should anybody have to justify their actions'....(or Views) They don't have to, but if people were to hold that position permananetly bloody thousands of the threads on here would never have taken place!

Social source share

Sal I really think the answer to this question goes back to when you original tried to put your first allnighter on at the railway club in Bournemouth every thing was going fine then out of the blue so sorry we can't do the allnighter police etc licenses etc etc etc you probably don't want me to say this but I'm going to we know the promoter from soul night at the railway club put the kibosh on it etc etc etc as you said you have supported there events so why won't they support your's well we know the answer short but to the point Leon

Glad you came out and said that LEON, because yes, thats where this all started but now we all know what they are.

Social source share

Sorry, just cannot let this go...Hold on a minute...It's a debate...It would have been good to hear just as too why so many of those people don't feel able to support such an event, would be handy for future reference too and at the end of the day, they could have 'chastised' us back couldn't they? Promoter war - don't be so bloody dramatic...As Sal has said, her and Rod have supported all those people in the past and I have attended most of their nights at one time or another too. This was just a very definitive 'no-show' that surprised a few people and it would have been nice to know why - if there was resentments or jealousies, it's a one way thing, As for the sanctimonious 'why should anybody have to justify their actions'....(or Views) They don't have to, but if people were to hold that position permananetly bloody thousands of the threads on here would never have taken place!

How is asking why someone has to come on the thread and justify why they didn't go to this nighter sanctimonious?

Social source share

Glad you came out and said that LEON, because yes, thats where this all started but now we all know what they are.

Just to clarify things, the railway club had one promoter,Mark ( jonah ) jones, who holds no grudges and attended the last allnighter before this one and was also down to come to this one, but due to his other half having to work, he had to do baby sitting duties, hope that sets the record straight

• Helpful 1
Social source share