Bournemouth: The End For Northern Soul All-Niters In The South?

Guest Matt Male

I'm sorry I didn't make this, I was on holiday in Cornwall, but I do feel guilty that I can't support more events like this. The lineup was truly phenomenal and many of my favourite DJs and friends were on the bill.

As for earlier suggestions that this wasn't well promoted, well Rod and Sallie go to a lot of places up north and the midlands and i've seen flyers for this event for months. So I don't think either of them failed to promote the event fully.

It sounds like it suffered in terms of numbers in exactly the same way we did at Move On. There simply aren't enough people into rare and underplayed and the funkier sounds to go around and it's also impossible to rely on local soul fans who attend oldies nights. Most of our regulars were travellers and hard-core nighter goers, Rod and Sallie amongst them, and even though we have one of the biggest northern soul nights in the country less than five miles away (the co-op in Nuneaton) we still couldn't get many locals to attend to make a difference.

Sallie you are probably right when you say that without local support it may not be sustainable, but in my opinion you are still doing the right thing running nights like this with this music policy. Like I say, I wasn't there but I can imagine the quality of the stuff Dave and Killa and Pat and Des and the others were playing because they always deliver every time I hear them DJ.

Yourselves, Burnley, ToD room at Gloucester and a few other places are keeping this scene alive for many of us. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

some tunes i played off the top of me head in the main room in sort of order between 1-30 to 2-15 am

clarence jackson - if it dont fit dont force it

roy roberts - you move me

kent meade - funky to me

soul blenders - love built on a strong foundation

rudy love - suffering wrath

vondells - hey girl youve changed

celebrities - i choose you baby

dynamics - woman

papa bear and cubs - your so fine

curtis liggins - what it is

Gene Redding - you got to have soul

intentions - im losing you love

little tommy - baby cant you see

soul incorporated - my proposal

the puzzles - my sweet baby

the intensions - feel so good

these are tunes ive been playing a lot over the last few years so will be familiar to anyone who knows me and typical of what i would play in a main room, all dancers thats for sure imho

Social source share

the excuse that its not worth bothering to attend an all nighter in Bournemouth coz it's never gonna be a regular event, all the more reason to support it if its just gonna be a one off!, people reading that excuse may decide in the future not to even consider attending when even the locals feel its doomed for failure!

I didn't say that at all nor intimated that either. You're making things up as you go along.

Social source share

Yeah, come on Dave, let it all out!!! Repression is not good for the Soul!

Its a coming Rich...and now - but i will say thanks to Rich for starting this deabte off, i don't know Rich, so no matie thing there and he doesn't know me BUT!! WE do know each other - and if you go 'out' then you wil know what i mean...

Social source share

There were definately flyers at some of the events you attend Moldie, because I put them out. Lutterworth for example. You obviously weren't looking properly

Hi Dave,

Probably didn't see them for looking! As in - TOO MANY FLYERS - TOO MANY EVENTS! There was a time if you were giving out flyers, people would actually approach you and ask for one! (Happened to me several times) - I don't even bother looking at flyers at all now and am only supporting about four different events which keeps me busy enough (Soul wise)

Len.

Social source share

It seems to me that many of these posts have been directed at the issues of music policy ??? Our policy was to include most if not all music policies including Rare, Underplayed, Current Oldies & Funk Edged Soul under the general banner of "NORTHERN SOUL" in the hope to capture a wider audience. Oldies are rare, underplayed & Funk Edged & always have been as far as I'm aware. Many people I know attend Rare & Underplayed events as well as Oldies events, I do myself. Why is it in some people's minds there should be a divide or split in the scene, it confuses me as I only listen to what I feel is a quality record & always have ever since I was a teenager.

Down South it seems taboo to attend an event with rare & underplayed policies attached to it, why ??? All it means is that some people might not have heard the tunes for many a year or not at all, what's so wrong with that ??? In my mind, that is a good thing & adds to my knowledge of Soul music. Once again, something I've done ever since I was a teenager.

Many so-called Oldies only punters seem to take this attitude to heart but is'nt this the attitude we all had when we 1st attended a Soul do whether it be in the 70's, 80's, 90's whatever, we all had to start somewhere....it is ALL SOUL MUSIC whether it's Rare, Underplayed, Current Oldies or Funk Edged in my view or am I wrong ???

Social source share

Hi Dave,

Probably didn't see them for looking! As in - TOO MANY FLYERS - TOO MANY EVENTS!

the flyer table at lutterworth showing how flyers are placed on top of others..most were put there by me

moldie

post-18760-0-31682800-1313442667_thumb.j

Social source share

Down South it seems taboo to attend an event with rare & underplayed policies attached to it, why ???

Who knows? I really thought it would be busy and similar in numbers that Bumbles realised. Do you think the majority of those (locals) that attended that night actually knew this one was on?

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

It seems to me that many of these posts have been directed at the issues of music policy ??? Our policy was to include most if not all music policies including Rare, Underplayed, Current Oldies & Funk Edged Soul under the general banner of "NORTHERN SOUL" in the hope to capture a wider audience. Oldies are rare, underplayed & Funk Edged & always have been as far as I'm aware. Many people I know attend Rare & Underplayed events as well as Oldies events, I do myself. Why is it in some people's minds there should be a divide or split in the scene, it confuses me as I only listen to what I feel is a quality record & always have ever since I was a teenager.

Down South it seems taboo to attend an event with rare & underplayed policies attached to it, why ??? All it means is that some people might not have heard the tunes for many a year or not at all, what's so wrong with that ??? In my mind, that is a good thing & adds to my knowledge of Soul music. Once again, something I've done ever since I was a teenager.

Many so-called Oldies only punters seem to take this attitude to heart but is'nt this the attitude we all had when we 1st attended a Soul do whether it be in the 70's, 80's, 90's whatever, we all had to start somewhere....it is ALL SOUL MUSIC whether it's Rare, Underplayed, Current Oldies or Funk Edged in my view or am I wrong ???

Spot on Rod.

Social source share

the flyer table at lutterworth showing how flyers are placed on top of others..most were put there by me

moldie

Says it all doesn’t it Moldie? You only have to do some maths - Divide roughly the amount of people that go out even say twice a month by the amount of events on, it’s just not sustainable.

Hope this isn’t going to ‘off topic’ - Back to the original post, as Terry said - You tried but unfortunately there can’t be the call for it in that particular location. Not sure if local politics have also had an effect? - Don’t want to know either!

My advise (For what it’s worth) - Put it behind you, go out somewhere else and enjoy yourselves.

All the best,

Len.

Social source share

Having read all the replies, I still stand by my original perception. With all the people who claim to be 'into the scene' in this area, the turnout for an event like this was absolutely pathetic. It might be happening in other places I am sure but that is equally as sad. And I am still baffled as to why 193 adults say they are considering attending an event and then don't. Everybody who is seriously into this scene knows how tough it is for Promoters and thats a hell of a lot of people to write off but those who say ignore FACEBOOK resposnes are clearly right...

As for there being over 100 DJ's in this area concerned, then why were the majority of them not there then? Why? Because they were not booked?? DJ's are Soul fans first are they not? The line up here should have had something to attract them shouldn't it? Maybe too many little egos abounding has something to do with it? Too many so called DJ's, too many Promoters, too many Soul nights and not enough open minds. Whatever, a damned shame and we enjoyed ourselves anyway.

Social source share

Who knows? I really thought it would be busy and similar in numbers that Bumbles realised. Do you think the majority of those (locals) that attended that night actually knew this one was on?

We thought it would be well attended by the locals too Karen !!! But perhaps because there was a more traditional allnighter on down the road in Brighton the next day they all went there instead!!!

Social source share

I didn't say that at all nor intimated that either. You're making things up as you go along.

what you stated was that Bournemouth will "never" have a regular all nighte for attracting masses and therefore, "Not such a bad thing", it is a bad thing for Sallie and Rod to hear that dispite their efforts, no matter what direction they take, according to you it will "Never" happen!, i hope they prove you wrong and stay with it

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Having read all the replies, I still stand by my original perception. With all the people who claim to be 'into the scene' in this area, the turnout for an event like this was absolutely pathetic. It might be happening in other places I am sure but that is equally as sad. And I am still baffled as to why 193 adults say they are considering attending an event and then don't. Everybody who is seriously into this scene knows how tough it is for Promoters and thats a hell of a lot of people to write off but those who say ignore FACEBOOK resposnes are clearly right...

As for there being over 100 DJ's in this area concerned, then why were the majority of them not there then? Why? Because they were not booked?? DJ's are Soul fans first are they not? The line up here should have had something to attract them shouldn't it? Maybe too many little egos abounding has something to do with it? Too many so called DJ's, too many Promoters, too many Soul nights and not enough open minds. Whatever, a damned shame and we enjoyed ourselves anyway.

cant say anything but i totaly agree with you on this Rich :hatsoff2:

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

cant say anything but i totaly agree with you on this Rich :hatsoff2:

what you stated was that Bournemouth will "never" have a regular all nighte for attracting masses and therefore, "Not such a bad thing", it is a bad thing for Sallie and Rod to hear that dispite their efforts, no matter what direction they take, according to you it will "Never" happen!, i hope they prove you wrong and stay with it

hi there, was you there yourself on Friday if so what is your honest opinion, are you a local ??

atb

Bearsy

Social source share

Says it all doesn’t it Moldie? You only have to do some maths - Divide roughly the amount of people that go out even say twice a month by the amount of events on, it’s just not sustainable.

All the best,

Len.

totally agree len..its easy to see why flyers are missed too...ppl just pile them on the table and at the end of the night i put those that are left back in my holdall ready for the next event

regards moldie

Social source share

It might all be Soul music but imo you are wrong.

Two separate scenes now.

The oldies only brigade who are happy to hear the same tunes from 40 years ago.

And have no desire to stray from there comfort zone.

I’ve no problem with that but Groundhog Day springs to mind.

And those who want to continue with the original ethos of hearing something new and fresh.

Matt made the point Move On struggled when less than 10 miles away there is a huge Soul catchment area.

To each their own.

Good luck to you and Sallie whatever you decide to do in the future.

....... or am I wrong ???

Social source share

although i never went....this cant be used as any kind of excuse as the first one at a different venue closed early too

moldie

ps..im often up in the midlands or beyond and never saw rod or sallie at any of the venues i attended or any of their flyers either

they have tried there best with great line ups of djs and moved venue but to no avail

they must be congratulated on there fine efforts but now must make a major decision..carry on or give up

the old opera house niters had around 300 plus at each event but only around 50% were soulies...the rest were handbaggers out for a late drink

why would ppl travel all the way down south for a niter when they can stay localish and have one and know for sure it will be open for the hours stated on the flyer

pps...maybe the end for bournemouth but not for the south.....isnt brighton niter very well attended....its always said to be a packer...sell out etc

Gonna reply - but my better half to me not to...but f*ack him...

MOLDIE - How very facking dare YOU insinuate that Sallie or Rod do not attend events in the 'midlands' fack me that is SOUTH for them - the reason you aint seen them is cos they go to ALLNITERS not the events (allbeit very good i am sure) that you DJ at - oh yes - the 'you DJ at' cos where else will you be? - WE are talking ALLNITERS

Where where YOU?? i saw you you on saturday nite - and dont give the Friday excuse - you weren't there cos you weren't part of it!! you weren't DJing (and why should you be? - there were proper DJ's down South and didn't need the play by numbers routine that you do)

HOW VERY F*CKING dare you insult my friends Sallie and Rod and all my other brothers and sisters like that - they have something YOU and yours will never have - PASSION!!

AND - The last reason of attendance - is pureley because down the south coast there is NO allniter scene - andf that is it - it dosent mater what the music policy is posted...

APART...from maybe someone who thinks that is is OK to put an Allniter on in Brighton the following nite and not think that it will effect either venue - but yeah let's check the source on the two events this weekend - Bournemouth - ran by two very passionate people who attend alniters over the country... and Brighton - ran by someone who has not attended an allniter out of the county for years and runs it only for the money...Sickening

Love Sian - she could bring her mini bus down here to go to an allniter up north - if she collected all the REGULAR Allniter people form Brighton to Bournemouth and i think we would probably go trade the bus in for a Ford Ka - There are NO niter people down here except those that turned up on Friday nite.

Social source share

Guest BintofSoul

Thank you very much for doing so Vikki & Bev & I'm really pleased you enjoyed it. As far as I know we had around 15 tops from the South....that's not including dj's of course.

I wonder if holding the event on a Friday is an issue for some people travelling from the South? I took a day off work and travelled up in the morning. The Brighton all nighter attracts a different type of soulie so I don't think this was a problem. Keep at it guys, its a great event :thumbsup: .

Social source share

Ah, now you've made sense. My thoughts were based on my experiences; not only having attended their nighters but also an extensive support of Bournemouth events over a considerable amount of years. My statements weren't derogatory to Sally and Rod's efforts, more of an educated presumption based on the locals and their logistics where soul do's in the area are concerned. I said it's not a bad thing as there are many other nighters to attend; in other words, the world has not ended and nighters are still available.

However, everything I have said is my opinion and my thoughts. Perhaps you'd like to furnish us with yours because so far you've only made an effort to pull mine apart.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

We thought it would be well attended by the locals too Karen !!! But perhaps because there was a more traditional allnighter on down the road in Brighton the next day they all went there instead!!!

No they didnt Sally, there were 5 from bmth / soton and all those were also at the Bmth niter, think a few would have gone to soul shoes which was on the Sat, im suprised also that the some many djs on the south coast didnt turn up to have a listen / dance, because there wasnt anything else on locally, so that old chestnut about , i cant make it as im booked somewhere else lol

Social source share

Rod/Sal,

Sometimes it's not a all about bums on seats as I'm sure you know. Sometimes (ALL the time for some of us), it's about the music, and enjoying it with similar minded Mates. Sounds like you ticked those particular boxes so pat on the back and onward and upward. Don't let anyone piss on your parade. First beers on me in Sept. (but don't tell Greety or he'll be ordering some big glass of posh shyte).

Regards,

Dave

Social source share

No they didnt Sally, there were 5 from bmth / soton and all those were also at the Bmth niter, think a few would have gone to soul shoes which was on the Sat, im suprised also that the some many djs on the south coast didnt turn up to have a listen / dance, because there wasnt anything else on locally, so that old chestnut about , i cant make it as im booked somewhere else lol

Must be my body odour that put them off then Tim lol

Social source share

I wonder if holding the event on a Friday is an issue for some people travelling from the South? I took a day off work and travelled up in the morning. The Brighton all nighter attracts a different type of soulie so I don't think this was a problem. Keep at it guys, its a great event :thumbsup: .

i got some coffee in my play - wanna come smell ;-))

Social source share

MOLDIE - How very facking dare YOU insinuate that Sallie or Rod do not attend events in the 'midlands' fack me that is SOUTH for them - the reason you aint seen them is cos they go to ALLNITERS not the events (allbeit very good i am sure) that you DJ at - oh yes - the 'you DJ at' cos where else will you be? - WE are talking ALLNITERS

Where where YOU?? i saw you you on saturday nite - and dont give the Friday excuse - you weren't there cos you weren't part of it!! you weren't DJing (and why should you be? - there were proper DJ's down South and didn't need the play by numbers routine that you do)

HOW VERY F*CKING dare you insult my friends Sallie and Rod and all my other brothers and sisters like that - they have something YOU and yours will never have - PASSION!!

AND - The last reason of attendance - is pureley because down the south coast there is NO allniter scene - andf that is it - it dosent mater what the music policy is posted...

APART...from maybe someone who thinks that is is OK to put an Allniter on in Brighton the following nite and not think that it will effect either venue - but yeah let's check the source on the two events this weekend - Bournemouth - ran by two very passionate people who attend alniters over the country... and Brighton - ran by someone who has not attended an allniter out of the county for years and runs it only for the money...Sickening

Love Sian - she could bring her mini bus down here to go to an allniter up north - if she collected all the REGULAR Allniter people form Brighton to Bournemouth and i think we would probably go trade the bus in for a Ford Ka - There are NO niter people down here except those that turned up on Friday nite.

In the fire bewteen the rage and the passion, somewhere lies the truth...

Good words Dave and don't you feel a bit better now? I do after reading that!

Edited by rich chorley
Social source share

Never went, had the choice or should i say option to go but decided not to bother. Just did not fancy it if truth be told, but that is a choice i would like to be able to keep..........nothing nasty or political but people do have a choice.

Don't think that it being on a Fri had anything to do with lack of souls on show as contrary to what you said Fri night nighters used to be the norm and just as frequent as Sat nighters, though granted not so these days.

If true though what i have been hearing about the night was that apart from the lack of people the music was good but the venue was not so good and the management were wan***s shutting the venue down at 4am because the bar takings was not going to make them rich on the night........WTF is that all about??

Have to say i feel very sorry for the promoters and i hope that if this is true then they did NOT pay for the use of the venue.

Social source share

i got some coffee in my play - wanna come smell ;-))

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Never went, had the choice or should i say option to go but decided not to bother. Just did not fancy it if truth be told, but that is a choice i would like to be able to keep..........nothing nasty or political but people do have a choice.

Don't think that it being on a Fri had anything to do with lack of souls on show as contrary to what you said Fri night nighters used to be the norm and just as frequent as Sat nighters, though granted not so these days.

If true though what i have been hearing about the night was that apart from the lack of people the music was good but the venue was not so good and the management were wan***s shutting the venue down at 4am because the bar takings was not going to make them rich on the night........WTF is that all about??

Have to say i feel very sorry for the promoters and i hope that if this is true then they did NOT pay for the use of the venue.

Hi Daz, like you say you have the choice and righlty so its yours and should always be that way i am exactly the same and choose where i go and we cant do them all :thumbsup:

the venue was actually awsome imho but the floor wasnt the best which is very important to me but i still danced without any problems all night, you got the rest just about right though :yes:

Social source share

Just realised that if this thread goes on much longer, there will be more postings than there was people there! Well Sal and Rod as the old saying goes, there is only one thing worse than being talked about...Lets just hope that if you do decide at some point to try again, a few people will have have had their conscience pricked.

Social source share

IF YOU READ MY POST DAVE IT SAYS I NEVER SAW THEM..NOT THAT THEY DONT GO

I HAVE NO INTENTION OF WANTING TO BE PART OF IT..I WASNT THERE COS THE EVENT DIDNT INTEREST ME

ONCE AGAIN DAVE READ MY POST..I NEVER INSULTED ANYONE..IN FACT MY POST SAYS THEY MUST BE CONGRATULATED ON THERE FINE EFFORT

MOLDIE

Social source share

Guest Glawsters Best

Think some of the souths promoters tend not to support, each others do's and tend to have loyal followers that dont seem to want to venture to the other local do.s for whatever reason and to say what has been said before, most want to hear oldies all night and have a chin wag with folks they know, at the end of the day, thats what choice gives us, still think folk are scared off by the term rare, even though there were loads of oldies played on the said night, thought it was the perfect mix myself

Tim

I think you got it bang on there with other local promoters they just can't wait for it fail then have there giggle

it's was a shame really there wasn't a better turn out it was a good mix of music i hear what some of you guy's are saying on here it being on a Friday night Bah bah finishing work late etc traffic on motorway etc. etc etc.I came from Gloucester it took me nearly 3 hours to get to Bournemouth. To be honest I've known Sallie and Rod for the best part of 35 years or so i would say that I'm really gutted for them. I at to leave about 3.30 because I was going out with friends on Saturday afternoon. or I would have been there until close

Sal and Rod what ever you decide to do you have my support

Leon

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

league of gentleman reference Bearsy, local shop for local people etc etc, but if you haven't seen it..........

no i ant Win i need to get of the laptop and watch more tv :lol:

Social source share

Tim

I think you got it bang on there with other local promoters they just can't wait for it fail then have there giggle

it's was a shame really there wasn't a better turn out it was a good mix of music i hear what some of you guy's are saying on here it being on a Friday night Bah bah finishing work late etc traffic on motorway etc. etc etc.I came from Gloucester it took me nearly 3 hours to get to Bournemouth. To be honest I've known Sallie and Rod for the best part of 35 years or so i would say that I'm really gutted for them. I at to leave about 3.30 because I was going out with friends on Saturday afternoon. or I would have been there until close

Sal and Rod what ever you decide to do you have my support

Leon

Leon it took you nearly three hours cos you came via Salisbury lol.....Great to see you here tho....

Social source share

Guest Glawsters Best

Leon it took you nearly three hours cos you came via Salisbury lol.....Great to see you here tho....

Sal it would have took longer on the M4 / A34 on a friday aft :yes:

The thing I can't understand is MOLDIE poking his nose in again about this that and the other why he goes to some where or another since Mike Eskins took him off the Gloucester lineup we haven't seen him going to Gloucester as a punter or is that because he goes to the Midlands well I see you sal and rod out and about more often than I see him.

isn't it better to have your own experience before you start jumping on the back of some else's views Bah bah ing :shhh:

play list from my two sets ( did 2 because I was on 9.30 and 12.45)

not in order of play

Valerie & Nick - I'll find you

Garland Green - Girl i love you

Robert Thomas - Salvation

Jesse Fisher - your not lovin a beginner

Fenton Robinson - I believe

California Rock choir - Whoever you are

Johnnie Mae Matthews - lonley you'll be

Larry Williams - you ask for one good reason

Timi Yuro - I ain't gonna cry no more

Soul Gents - wonders of love

The Drapers - your love as gone away

The Four Tracks - charade

Joe Valentine - I lost the only love I had

Albert Jones - Fifteen cent love

bobby patterson - I'm in love with you

Terry Calier - look at me now

the Millionaires - and the rains came

Larry Davis I've been hurt so many times

Wade Flemons - jeanette

Joe Tex I wanna be free

The Majestics - love so much it hurt's

Jesse johnson - Left out

the invert's Look out love

Archie Bell - A Thousand wonders

Bill Bush - I'm waiting

Lost soul - Secert of mine

Tangeers - Let your heart and soul be free

The wonderettes - I feel stange

Marke Jackson - I'll never forget you

Four tracks - like me love for you

sonny Craver - i'm no fool

TJ Wiliams - Baby I need you

The Natural Four - I thought you were mine

Montclairs - Hey you

Sam Dees - lonley for you baby

Leon :thumbsup:

Edited by Glawsters Best
Social source share

Sal it would have took longer on the M4 / A34 on a friday aft :yes:

The thing I can't understand is MOLDIE poking his nose in again about this that and the other why he goes to some where or another since Mike Eskins took him off the Gloucester lineup we haven't seen him going to Gloucester as a punter or is that because he goes to the Midlands well I see you sal and rod out and about more often than I see him.

isn't it better to have your own experience before you start jumping on the back of some else's views Bah bah ing :shhh:

What He Said

Social source share

In answer to the original posters question; "Is there any future or desire for Niters in the area stretching from Portsmouth to Bournemouth?", my answer would be yes. I suspect that Southampton or Portsmouth could sustain enough interest to develop an oldies/classic all nighter on a regular basis.

However I haven't seen anything that implies that Bournemouth has enough local interest to develop a regular, all nighter with 150-300 people that isn't a 100% oldies/classic event.

I don't think that it's a coincidence that the longest running, best attended night within a reasonable distance of Bournemouth (Bisley) is an oldies/classic night.

At the previous Bournemouth all nighter , the rare/underplayed 2nd room DJs played to a dance floor with no more than a handful of people dancing and most of the time an empty floor between 8 and 12.

The passion, great taste and devotion shown by those in the South towards rare , underplayed, funkier sounds deserves better and I hope Rod and Sal can develop something special at another venue.

:hatsoff2:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

In answer to the original posters question; "Is there any future or desire for Niters in the area stretching from Portsmouth to Bournemouth?", my answer would be yes. I suspect that Southampton or Portsmouth could sustain enough interest to develop an oldies/classic all nighter on a regular basis.

However I haven't seen anything that implies that Bournemouth has enough local interest to develop a regular, all nighter with 150-300 people that isn't a 100% oldies/classic event.

I don't think that it's a coincidence that the longest running, best attended night within a reasonable distance of Bournemouth (Bisley) is an oldies/classic night.

At the previous Bournemouth all nighter , the rare/underplayed 2nd room DJs played to a dance floor with no more than a handful of people dancing and most of the time an empty floor between 8 and 12.

The passion, great taste and devotion shown by those in the South towards rare , underplayed, funkier sounds deserves better and I hope Rod and Sal can develop something special at another venue.

:hatsoff2:

good reply BUT that holds NO subsatcnce with me cos we do no know whot you are... Mr or Mrs Oldfeet

Social source share

Guest Glawsters Best

I don't know how many people turned out at Brighton in the south east this weekend, but Fridays attendance at Sally Reynolds and Rod Walker's 'Soul in the South' Niter in Bournemouth poses a serious question. Is there any future or desire for Niters in the area stretching from Portsmouth to Bournemouth? Sally and Rod flogged their guts out to stage this Niter and have been battling to establish a regular one in the South for the last couple of years. This was a well-advertised, well organised Niter with a terrific nine-strong DJ line up in a perfectly sized venue(for a small 150-300 Niter) and if this one could only attract the 70 or so souls that tuned up, it is hard to imagine what you would have to do to stage a well supported event of the same nature in the region.

Following problems with their previous venue and political issues with The Railway Club, home of a regular Bournemouth Soul night, Sally and Rod continued their efforts and found 'The Spire', a nightclub built into an old Church close to Bournemouth town centre. With a smaller downstairs Cellar room and a comfortable atmospheric main room upstairs, I know they had great hopes that their quest was finally over. Utilising personal contacts built up over 30 years on the scene, Soulsource and Facebook, they set about advertising. Here is where the first major question arises. On Facebook, 71 people stated that they were definetly attending this event. This in the three week build up to the date. A further 193 stated that they were 'maybe attending'. Even acknowledging the propensity for people to register on FB sites simply for the hell of it, those figures - along with the fact that some people would be bringing partners etc and some people do not even look at Facebook - surely gave Sally and Rod a reasonable expectaion that a half decent crowd would materlialise. Again, ignoring crossover aspects between the 'Defos' and 'maybes', numerically it means about 193 people all supposedly spontaneously decided to give it a miss in the end for whatever reasons. What the hell do as many as193 people (Northern Soul fans at that...) press a button like that for if they think there is not a reasonable chance of them arrving? Doing the promoters who are laying out hard earned cash and perhaps losing a bundle of it - a lot of favours arent they?

Secondly the geographical question, threw up more interesting and perhaps worrying conclusions. In Southampton, twenty odd miles from Bournemouth there is the regular Soul Shoes Bishopstoke Soul Night, Southampton Soul Club's own numerous Soul nights at different venues and the Peoples Choice mod-flavoured events. Hundreds of punters attend these events. More recently a new 60s Soul saturday night event at the city's Soul Cellar has been announced and I believe is starting shortly. There is a tradition of Southampton Soul fans travelling and supporting Bournemouth Soul events going back to the mid-70s. Southampton has a solid hard core of Northern Soul fans who have frequented the major niters on the scene over the years and four or five months ago a Charity Soul and Motown night for Ex-Yate and Wigan face, Kev Coombes saw over 300 people turn out. With that in mind, it beggars belief that only one person from Southampton attended this event and that he was a Promoter putting leaflets for his own gigs on tables. (Not counting myself and Roger Saint being we travelled from Banbury and London). One person for a Niter with a DJ line up like this? What not even 5 of those 300 could be tempted to share a car down? In Bournemouth itself there are three regular local Soul nights. Bournemouth Pier, Bournemouth University and The Railway Club. All three of these could fairly be classed as reasonably long running venues. So how is it that hardly anybody from Bournemouth stepped through the door? How is it that the promoters of those other Soul nights were notable by their virtual non-attendance at a Niter in the town in which they all promote Northern Soul? Sally and Rod have attended events ran by all of them but if you cannot depend on getting a couple of dozen people through the door from the host town which hosts three of its own regular Soul nights, what hope is there? The vast majority of us who did go were old friends of their's whom had travelled a considerable distance to be there. The no-show from Bournemouth Soul fans was absolutely baffling to me. People can point out that Friday is not the traditional Niter night, but hey, if 70 odd people can travel from outside the area, then that argument goes out of the window. (Well done to the Banbury Mini Bus.) If anything, the Friday could have given people an extra day to recover before work and more time overall with their family over the weekend.

Musically, this was a quality night. Consistently high standard spots from all the DJ's, great records, great people (the promoters and the people who did turn up) and even under the circumstances everybody tried to have a good night. If even another 50 (out of the 193???) or so people had been interested in a Northern Soul All-Niter in the South, this would have been a cracking little do and the basis would have been laid for a future regular event. Thanks to Leon Brown who did a second spot of classy Northern oldies which was right up my personal street but as said, the music was quality in both rooms all night. The ultimate sadness came when the management decided that due to the poor attendance they were going to close the club at 4.30, this when the assembled souls inside were trying to make the best of it and it was pissing with rain outside. I have known Sally Reynolds a very, very long time and to say she looked heartbroken (crossed with furious) was understating it. Sal, bless you girl, you are one of the hardcore stalwarts of the southern Northern scene going back to the 70s and in a commitment sense, you and Rod were badly let down by Soul fans in the region. It might be little consolation Sal, but you know you were there with a bunch of good friends on Friday.

So with all that in mind, what hope is left for a regular All-Nighter across this region in the future? Very little I would have thought. I cannot imagine anybody else being brave enough to take it on after this and that is a sad development. I can't speak for Sally and Rod, if they were to have another go, I would try to be there but you could not blame them at all if after this they call it a day. Maybe people down here are getting too old and lazy. Maybe they are spoilt by all the various Soul nights. Maybe they really don't enjoy Niters anymore. Whatever the reasons, I am minded of an essay by one of the DJs from Saturday night. In his book 'A-Z of Northern Soul' , Dave Rimmer wrote a piece on Niters and how- eventwise - they encapsulate the true heart of the scene. Dave concluded that when the day comes when people do not wish to attend Niters, then that will be the end of the real Northern Soul Scene in this country. I think Dave was right. Northern Soul without Niters is like Fish without chips. Even a good Soul Night is a pale imitation/replacement for a good Niter. At sometime in the future I suppose it might become inevitable that there will be no more Northern Soul All-Niters anywhere in the UK. Well, after Fridays non-show from the region's Soul fans it looks like that day might have arrived for the South already.

Rich great post

and it was good to meet you hope to see you out and about soon :thumbsup:

Leon

Social source share

I've just perused the comments on the Facebook event page and noticed there were a very large number of no's due to the distance. Being from North of Watford (as I don't know where they are) they conclude that they don't need to travel so far I presume, which they don't.. Us from the South don't think twice about a 600 mile round trip without stopping over because we have to :)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I've just perused the comments on the Facebook event page and noticed there were a very large number of no's due to the distance. Being from North of Watford (as I don't know where they are) they conclude that they don't need to travel so far I presume, which they don't.. Us from the South don't think twice about a 600 mile round trip without stopping over because we have to :)

The call us Southern softeees....huh! Agree Karen we travel because we have no choice...but they do have a choice and they choose to stay nearer home. Travelling, to us, is a part of the fun...lol

Karen we travel the distances because we have no other choice...if you had a selection of venues on your doorstep wouldn't you stay closer to home? To us the travelling is all part of the build up ...lol

Social source share

Great for Rod & Sally to try this in Bournemouth, but as others have said just don't seem that there's enough folk into "rare and underplayed" for a Niter down there. Exactly the same round these parts where we've run gigs til 4 am (but no Niters). Put on a rare and underplayed night and you get 70 in, mostly travellers. Put on an oldies night and the locals all come out the woodwork for a knees up. But then again personally I wouldn't go to a pure olides all nighter if it was across the road from me gaff. Two very distinct scenes these days, some shared musical interest, but that's about it.

Edited by Steve G
  • Helpful 1
Social source share