Collecting Records

Guest Brett F

Guest Brett F

Collecting records…

To me it’s entrenched and a part of the soul world I have been a part of for over 30 years, I bought my first soul record in the late 70’s today I received another, it is, as a good friend of mine said many years ago ‘A Vinyl Habit Brett ‘ it always made me think, that one sentence, I guess I’m not unlike a heroin junkie, when you get your hit it kicks in, the moment is complete, but then the feeling fades, I need another score…In my environment it’s the music, I desire the records the sounds, of course only originals will do, no faux copies that’s just like drinking dilute orange with tap water…That might work for some, but it doesn’t for this addict, no ‘Baby’ doesn’t work one bit, that is like cheating, only the real deal will cut for this addiction. I hear the shouts when I’ve been out ‘ahh I’m just a dancer’, well brilliant, I love too dance too, but I need to hear the sounds at home in my own space, I did 30 years ago, before the internet, before CD’s, yes I swapped tapes, but they were a mere stepping stone, I craved the black vinyl/ styrene reality, nothing ever did fill that void until the holy grails were captured, one by one. It makes no difference to me if you have say 100 records or 70,000…I’m drawn to the collector for good or ill, I’m with kindred spirits, I truly believe the Soul world is almost unique in it’s love of the vinyl record, yes other scenes have a dalliance with the beloved 7”/12” , but what other musical genre captivates to the degree the Soul scene does…………Doo Wop….?.......British Blues Rock..?...Nah this boy ain’t buying it, the music is paramount, I could care less if it was recorded say in 1960 or next week if it sounds good I want it. I am always slightly disappointed if a new release has no vinyl output, yes I understand the marketing aspect..sales, sales….But soul music is different. Yeah the modern world has it’s download generation, not unlike the myriad of poor Youtube clips, it’s a quick fix, but how many of those who post on that site actually have and recorded that 45’ or 12”, impostors, seeking the kudos it brings, I admire those who admit they don’t own the single or album, yes music is for sharing, of course it is, but our scene is built on the foundation of the dj/ collector, and I for one take my hat off to each and everyone of you…..God bless the record Collector…

Brett F.

Social source share

I truly believe the Soul world is almost unique in it’s love of the vinyl record, yes other scenes have a dalliance with the beloved 7”/12” , but what other musical genre captivates to the degree the Soul scene does

Brett,

I completely agree with you that it’s an addiction and I'm getting back in again after 5 months of self-imposed cold turkey. The Classical music collector can be as, if not more picky than the soul collector, looking for that elusive recording by certain orchestras, conductors or venues. I worked with a classical collector, who in the late 80s'/early 90's was a heavy collector of Japanese pressings and would think nothing of paying £100's+ for one of his wants.

Social source share

Collecting records…

To me it’s entrenched and a part of the soul world I have been a part of for over 30 years, I bought my first soul record in the late 70’s today I received another, it is, as a good friend of mine said many years ago ‘A Vinyl Habit Brett ‘ it always made me think, that one sentence, I guess I’m not unlike a heroin junkie, when you get your hit it kicks in, the moment is complete, but then the feeling fades, I need another score…In my environment it’s the music, I desire the records the sounds, of course only originals will do, no faux copies that’s just like drinking dilute orange with tap water…That might work for some, but it doesn’t for this addict, no ‘Baby’ doesn’t work one bit, that is like cheating, only the real deal will cut for this addiction. I hear the shouts when I’ve been out ‘ahh I’m just a dancer’, well brilliant, I love too dance too, but I need to hear the sounds at home in my own space, I did 30 years ago, before the internet, before CD’s, yes I swapped tapes, but they were a mere stepping stone, I craved the black vinyl/ styrene reality, nothing ever did fill that void until the holy grails were captured, one by one. It makes no difference to me if you have say 100 records or 70,000…I’m drawn to the collector for good or ill, I’m with kindred spirits, I truly believe the Soul world is almost unique in it’s love of the vinyl record, yes other scenes have a dalliance with the beloved 7”/12” , but what other musical genre captivates to the degree the Soul scene does…………Doo Wop….?.......British Blues Rock..?...Nah this boy ain’t buying it, the music is paramount, I could care less if it was recorded say in 1960 or next week if it sounds good I want it. I am always slightly disappointed if a new release has no vinyl output, yes I understand the marketing aspect..sales, sales….But soul music is different. Yeah the modern world has it’s download generation, not unlike the myriad of poor Youtube clips, it’s a quick fix, but how many of those who post on that site actually have and recorded that 45’ or 12”, impostors, seeking the kudos it brings, I admire those who admit they don’t own the single or album, yes music is for sharing, of course it is, but our scene is built on the foundation of the dj/ collector, and I for one take my hat off to each and everyone of you…..God bless the record Collector…

Brett F.

I believe there are two roots that feed the rare soul scene. The first is the collector of original issued recordings, gaining knowledge of what is available, and making or breaking the reputation of records, which may then become desirable and even canonical. The second are the archivists and researchers, like Ady C and Tony R and the other Ace boys, who enrich the available stock by discovering new stuff, and who also give the genre credibility by by giving the sounds an historical context.

Edited by Billy Freemantle
Social source share

bought three nice billie holliday 78's today, they're on shellac, not vinyl..still happy tho

never heard of shellac until today and here it is again :huh: a guy i work with does some dj'ing...blues and stuff didnt really get into a full blown convo but he was saying that he dj'd at some place with 78's and he was saying some places are similar to the soul scene with there mentality ...... you could only play 78's that were 'shellac'

he told me shellac is crushed bettles and the conversation took a turn when this other guy who is an artist said he used it in his work :huh:

Social source share

American Doo-Wop collectors from the 70's were some of the most fanatical I ever met. Some downright nasty characters involved too - wouldn't think twice of holding a gun to your head for the right record.

Is there an element of vinyl fetishism about holding the physical record in your hand do you think Brett? :lol:

Ian D :D

Social source share

I'm with you 100% Brett. There's no doubt collecting is an addiction. We lie to our Missus how much we pay and how much we spend. We buy in secret and we crave the next hit. All the things that drink/drug addicts do.

I do sometimes wish I could turn to laptop Soul, but what would I do then?........

301376_10150434425493849_629423848_10913459_174304_s.jpg

Edited by tsu tomatoes
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Had a couple of young girls in the shop today buying vinyl, it was interesting watching them through boxes of 45's and Lp's, got talking to them and they were taking music in school, they were aged 14 & 15 and when I asked them what the attraction of vinyl was they both said it was holding the physical item and the sound sounded much better then mp3. They spent £30 between them, which I guess was quite a sum for them and they haggled me down on a few items. They were into 60's soul and mod so there's hope for the future still.

Social source share

Guest Brett F

American Doo-Wop collectors from the 70's were some of the most fanatical I ever met. Some downright nasty characters involved too - wouldn't think twice of holding a gun to your head for the right record.

Is there an element of vinyl fetishism about holding the physical record in your hand do you think Brett? :lol:

Hi Ian, yes of course there is a sexual connection :lol: , interesting your view on the Doo - Wop collectors, as was Neil's on the Classical side of collecting, i guess all genres have their addicts, but i'd rather be in the the Soul enviroment..It's just more fun isn't it ?. Did you ever get that book about record collecting i told you about some years back ?, Non soul related but a good read, i'll send you the link. By the way get yourself down to Filthy Soul in London, Hobgoblin bar on Sunday 28th of this month (next week ), yours truly is playing some records.

Atb Brett

Edited by Brett F
Social source share

never heard of shellac until today and here it is again :huh: a guy i work with does some dj'ing...blues and stuff didnt really get into a full blown convo but he was saying that he dj'd at some place with 78's and he was saying some places are similar to the soul scene with there mentality ...... you could only play 78's that were 'shellac' he told me shellac is crushed bettles and the conversation took a turn when this other guy who is an artist said he used it in his work :huh:

Shellac is a resin secreted by the female lac bug apparently not the actual bug. Was used in paints etc in not to distant past, primers, varnish etc and in nail varnish.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shellac

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Hi Ian, yes of course there is a sexual connection :lol: , interesting your view on the Doo - Wop collectors, as was Neil's on the Classical side of collecting, i guess all genres have their addicts, but i'd rather be in the the Soul enviroment..It's just more fun isn't it ?. Did you ever get that book about record collecting i told you about some years back ?, Non soul related but a good read, i'll send you the link. By the way get yourself down to Filthy Soul in London, Hobgoblin bar on Sunday 28th of this month (next week ), yours truly is playing some records.

Atb Brett

Great. I can give you a shout out on the show and then pop down hopefully!

Social source share

Chalky.....seek medical advice.....sooner than later...it may not be too late.

Too late Brett me thinks. Just thought others might be interested in where/why/why etc. I knew of it's use in records before vinyl etc and of its use in paints, varnish etc. Couldn't remember where it came from so rechecked :D

Social source share

Back to collecting.

To have an original mint copy of every single from 1963 to 1980 that could be regarded as good enough to play at rare soul events would number well over 10,000 and cost over £2m. If I win the euro lottery £7m tonight, I may well start buying again!

Back in the day, I was astounded at Nev Wherry's UK demo collection he used to carry about dj'ing with.

I only wish I could have gone on those USA warehouse record collecting trips in the 70s when $10k would have got you a collection to die for if you hit the right spot.

Ed

Social source share

Collecting Vinyl?

Pah.

MP3s is the way to go daddio.

Help please ,i have a weird obsession :yes:

I buy original vinyl only ...................................................then upload the sound and subsequently sell the original vinyl :huh:

Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

Too late Brett me thinks. Just thought others might be interested in where/why/why etc. I knew of it's use in records before vinyl etc and of its use in paints, varnish etc. Couldn't remember where it came from so rechecked :D

Used by professional decorators as a stain block - sold in Dulux Trade Centre's still today Chalky...............recommended by Major Insurance Companies to treat fire and flood damaged properties. Seriously harmfull if most of the older collections contain it ..... :excl:

Social source share

Shellac is a resin secreted by the female lac bug apparently not the actual bug. Was used in paints etc in not to distant past, primers, varnish etc and in nail varnish.

.....and to make my beautiful billie holliday 78's :wub:

also used has an insulating varnish on electric motors and transformer windings , used it back in the day when panel wiring .

there used to be a oft used saying regarding this ,

to give someone or something a good shellacing, :hatsoff2:

Social source share

dont own any vinyl, got loads of cds legit and downloads plus mp3 and laptop full of tracks,

feel sorry for you vinyl junkies, the price you pay for a flat plastic disc with grooves in it is beyond belief,

to me the scene is about the gigs and the people who go to dance/listen .

just my humble opinion of course :yes:

Social source share

dont own any vinyl, got loads of cds legit and downloads plus mp3 and laptop full of tracks,

feel sorry for you vinyl junkies, the price you pay for a flat plastic disc with grooves in it is beyond belief,

to me the scene is about the gigs and the people who go to dance/listen .

just my humble opinion of course :yes:

dont feel sorry for me barney - i love it :)

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

I have a few young lads come round buying reggae they love ska but not too bothered about originality so long as it's a "seven" they've really taken a shine to soul records and a couple of them are really into jazz funk type thing's .I'm lucky enough to see two collecting worlds both the northern and the reggae apart from the skinhead type british collectors who want original mint British release's most of the west Indian guy's have a different aproach if a reggae record gets "oldied"(pressed up) they'll probably sell thier original and buy a "oldie" and pocket the dough.Some of the northern guy's who buy off us that wouldn't shudder at spending a grand on an original sixties northern 45 are now collecting reggae and the general attitude is the simplistic one of reissue will do .....but I'll buy 30!! so long as it's vinyl.Intrestingly vinyl is latin for flowing wine so no wonder we all get drunk on these great little drug's and let's face it no matter whether it's original or not records represent amazing value what else can you buy for let's say a tenner and it'll last you for the rest of your life ? each one a memory .I'm afraid once you dance with this particular Demon She won't let go regards Simon.

Social source share

Guest Brett F

I have a few young lads come round buying reggae they love ska but not too bothered about originality so long as it's a "seven" they've really taken a shine to soul records and a couple of them are really into jazz funk type thing's .I'm lucky enough to see two collecting worlds both the northern and the reggae apart from the skinhead type british collectors who want original mint British release's most of the west Indian guy's have a different aproach if a reggae record gets "oldied"(pressed up) they'll probably sell thier original and buy a "oldie" and pocket the dough.Some of the northern guy's who buy off us that wouldn't shudder at spending a grand on an original sixties northern 45 are now collecting reggae and the general attitude is the simplistic one of reissue will do .....but I'll buy 30!! so long as it's vinyl.Intrestingly vinyl is latin for flowing wine so no wonder we all get drunk on these great little drug's and let's face it no matter whether it's original or not records represent amazing value what else can you buy for let's say a tenner and it'll last you for the rest of your life ? each one a memory .I'm afraid once you dance with this particular Demon She won't let go regards Simon.

I'm struggling with the so long as it's a 'seven' ? for me it has to be original or it just isn't fun, what's the point, may as well just get them on a CD download etc, etc. I'm on about collecting here, I can't really understand why if you like record collecting you somehow miss the point of the original ethos, each to their own but i'm sure the majority of people into Soul records wish to obtain the original, it's the thrill of the chase for me, searching and waiting in some cases years till something turns up, then you get it , and hey presto the cycle continues, where's the thrill in re-issues or God forbid bootlegs !!

Social source share

I'm struggling with the so long as it's a 'seven' ? for me it has to be original or it just isn't fun, what's the point, may as well just get them on a CD download etc, etc. I'm on about collecting here, I can't really understand why if you like record collecting you somehow miss the point of the original ethos, each to their own but i'm sure the majority of people into Soul records wish to obtain the original, it's the thrill of the chase for me, searching and waiting in some cases years till something turns up, then you get it , and hey presto the cycle continues, where's the thrill in re-issues or God forbid bootlegs !!

Like stamp collecting, (NO I DONT) WHY buy a fascimle???????, which all boots/reissues are.

Social source share

Guest Brett F

Like stamp collecting, (NO I DONT) WHY buy a fascimle???????, which all boots/reissues are.

Yeah, stamps is a decent analogy ( and probably as dull :wink: ), but on a grander note the guys in the States who collect the baseball trading cards, the legendary T206 Honus Wagner trading card has sold multiple times and has the world record price of $2.8 million to an anonymous buyer !!!!

I suppose the art world is another obsession (if only for the very wealthy), where only originals will count, I'm happy to be involved in my own small closed world, i enjoy my passion, because as well as owning the record you also get to enjoy the sound.

Social source share

Following on from John Reed's post about Classical collectors, and speaking as someone who is currently dabbling in collecting and selling early Stereo Classical LPs, it is a very intricate field of collecting.

For example, a collector who wants early UK Stereo LPs will focus mainly on three main labels; Decca, Columbia and HMV (some issues on Mercury "Living Presence" also count). However, there are FOUR label variants for Decca (ED1 to ED4), three for Columbia (ES1, ER1 and ER2) and three for HMV (EW1, ER1 and ER2) releases. Obviously the first editions of these labels will command the highest price, but a second issue (which may only have been pressed a matter of months after the first) will only go for around two-thirds the value of a first issue. Third edition Decca (ED3) releases will be worth around a half to a third of an ED1, and ED4 (usually called the 'narrowband' label, and dates from the '70s), may only be worth a quid or two, unless the ED4 is the first issue of an LP and, then again, only very few first issue ED4s are collectable.

Condition plays a major part in collecting Classical LPs - most LPs with more than a few tics or noise would be worthless.

As a general rule, the majority of Classical collectors are based in the East (mainly Korea, China and Japan), with very few based in Europe.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!