Richard Marks Tuska

Guest Pipp23

Guest Pipp23

I am new to collecting and dont know much about Nothern Soul or Southern Soul. I recently bought a box of 1,000 45s off of Ebay (mostly 70s/80s rock) and one of the records in the box

Richard Marks , Tuska , Never Satisfied

Looks clean and almost unplayed.

I looked on Popsike and see 2 that have sold, both of which were 6 years ago and the prices ranged wildly 169 and 1500.

Can anyone give me any information about this record? I tried the Ebay board and Record Collector Guild board but all I got was crickets. The records store guy here offered me 200 bucks in trade but this seems low , I know the economy is horrible here but it seems like it should be better.

Social source share

Guest Pipp23

Thanks. I had one other Northern Soul record in this lot I could find on popsike. Ray Scott and the Scottsmen , Right Now , Decca. Needless to say I emailed the guy bought this lot off of and asked for another 1,000 lol. He said his dad ran jukeboxes in the NC area for years and he has a garage full of 45s. These two records where in basically big piles of records without covers , I think it was in between an ABBA and Marvin Gaye lol. I asked if these are sorted anyway and he said that they are basically just in stacks on the ground in his garage . Hopefully I can find some other cool records.

Social source share

I'm sure some of the members here will be more than willing to offer you some advice via personal message with regard to this particular 45.

:D :D

The silence is deafening, Good find Pipp, and good luck with any sale.

Edited by jocko
Social source share

Guest Pipp23

Im just glad you guys have heard of him. The other message boards I went too they basically had no idea who he was but they did know who Sleepy La Beff was apparently.

Social source share

Richard Marks was an Atlanta guitarist and singer who only ever recorded a handful of records but also wrote for other artists and played on other artists records as well. He died a few years ago but Roy Lee Johnson (one of R.M.'s contemporaries) always speaks very highly of him. I don't really have a lot of information about his life right now, though. That Tuska 45 is legitimately rare, though his "Funky Four Corners" 45 is pretty easy to get on Tuska or Roulette (maybe easier on Tuska). I'm sure you have received many offers privately, and you could count me among the interested parties to be perfectly honest.

Very nice find. Now I'm curious about what other records you found too!

Social source share

Guest Pipp23

I have a couple others I cant find anywhere but not sure what type they are. I dont have a record player . So any help is appreciated.

Pride , Jim Whitener and the Drifting Serenaders , "Ask me no questions" & " This lonely heart of mine" .

GIant, Ben Sharon , " You've Never Done it Before" " I'll Be With You"

Progo , Shelby , "The Valley" "Take A Little More Time"

Mega, Station Braake , "I just wanna make you feel so good"

Chattanooga Tavern Time Sound , Elena Giles , "Madam Barmaid" "Without A Daddy's Love"

securedownload1.jpg

securedownload.jpg

Social source share

I have a couple others I cant find anywhere but not sure what type they are. I dont have a record player . So any help is appreciated.

Pride , Jim Whitener and the Drifting Serenaders , "Ask me no questions" & " This lonely heart of mine" .

GIant, Ben Sharon , " You've Never Done it Before" " I'll Be With You"

Progo , Shelby , "The Valley" "Take A Little More Time"

Mega, Station Braake , "I just wanna make you feel so good"

Chattanooga Tavern Time Sound , Elena Giles , "Madam Barmaid" "Without A Daddy's Love"

https://i1124.photobu...redownload1.jpg

https://i1124.photobu...uredownload.jpg

I think it's unlikely that these are soul 45s but I don't know them so can't tell you for sure

Social source share

I think it's unlikely that these are soul 45s but I don't know them so can't tell you for sure

I guess I was wrong about Station Braake, they appear to be a mixed race 80s funk/soul group.

"Jim Whitener" would be a funny name for a soul singer

Social source share

I am new to collecting and dont know much about Nothern Soul or Southern Soul. I recently bought a box of 1,000 45s off of Ebay (mostly 70s/80s rock) and one of the records in the box

Richard Marks , Tuska , Never Satisfied

Looks clean and almost unplayed.

I looked on Popsike and see 2 that have sold, both of which were 6 years ago and the prices ranged wildly 169 and 1500.

Can anyone give me any information about this record? I tried the Ebay board and Record Collector Guild board but all I got was crickets. The records store guy here offered me 200 bucks in trade but this seems low , I know the economy is horrible here but it seems like it should be better.

If you've checked popsike on the value you'll already know that one alone is worth considerably more than $200! Your best bet is either to take the best offer from the many PMs you've probably had, or re-bay it and see what it makes. Feel free to divulge the detail on the garage full of records, too, if you like :D

Social source share

Guest Pipp23

Thanks for the help everyone. I will let you know what I find, he is putting the next lot in the mail today!

Does anyone have a recording of the 2 Marks songs ( I dont have a record player and im afraid to touch it now) ? I wanted to hear what they sounded like but cant find it anywhere on the internet. I searched for days trying to find out information on him and there is almost nothing out there, in fact 99% of all the relevant information floating on the web about him is on this site. I only live about an hour from Atlanta so I thought about going down there to find this studio ( I go down for Estate sales alot) but I cant find anything about the studio ,anywhere either.

Social source share

good find.

that $1500 popsike was listed on a forum for around $400ish and promptly baught then immediaely resold for the price you can see.

that was the only time i've got close to a decent price copy of this 45.

very good double sider.

Social source share

• 3 years later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!