** Soul Source Content For Vinyl Anoraks Way Down? **

Seems like the level of SS content of interest to vinyl anoraks has plumeted of late

Is it true or it it just me?

Seems like more than just a dip in interest due to the holiday season here in the UK

I'm struggling myself to think of a decent vinyl related puzzle to post up :sweatingbullets:

Cheers

Richard

Edited by Premium Stuff
Social source share

• Replies 14
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I still have the collecting bug Richard, as strong as ever.

I'm always hungry for Information and sharing same relating to these sometimes elusive discs.

Always enjoy the label and artist of the months. Can't always contribute due to time / responsibility but always enjoy glancing through other contributions.

Subject may be aligned to the old "bus" saying, you wait for ages and then 3 come along at once.

Social source share

Which was the high point of August thus far........... :lol:

Have you got into groove measuring yet Bob? There's whole new world right there........... :lol:

Ian D :D

Well are we talking 45s or LPs? If it is a 7", then on average the run in starts at approx 2.5mm from the edge, giving a starting radius from the centre of 85mm. The runout finishes at approx 8mm from the label, giving the radius at this point of 55mm.

Using the formula for the circumference of c=Pi*(2*radius) we find that the starting circumference is 534mm and the end circumference 346mm. For a record with an rpm of 45, and a nominal length of 3 minutes, then there would be 3*45=135 revolutions per track. Based on the *average circumference of (534+346)/2 = 440mm then the length of the groove if stretched out would be 440mm*135=59,400mm (59.4metres) or in old money 194' 10'' and a bit.

I hereby hang my anorak back on its peg!!!!

Social source share

Well are we talking 45s or LPs? If it is a 7", then on average the run in starts at approx 2.5mm from the edge, giving a starting radius from the centre of 85mm. The runout finishes at approx 8mm from the label, giving the radius at this point of 55mm.

Using the formula for the circumference of c=Pi*(2*radius) we find that the starting circumference is 534mm and the end circumference 346mm. For a record with an rpm of 45, and a nominal length of 3 minutes, then there would be 3*45=135 revolutions per track. Based on the *average circumference of (534+346)/2 = 440mm then the length of the groove if stretched out would be 440mm*135=59,400mm (59.4metres) or in old money 194' 10'' and a bit.

there you go ian

Social source share

But what if it was scratched........... It wouldn't be a continuous groove then??????????

:g:

Steve

Social source share

You'll also need a micrometer for vinyl thickness.(Anorak hood up).

Social source share

would'nt it have been measured in imperial rather than metric ?

:wicked:

mark

Edited by mark.b
Social source share

Perfect. Exactly what I was looking for Dave. Many thanks! :lol:

Can you knock off a quick calc for an average US 60's album please?

Ian D :D

Social source share

And REAL experts can tell what the tune is by the visual layout of the grooves, and with the label covered over :wave:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!