Excello Doubt

Guest rnb1980

Guest rnb1980

hi!,

firstly, sorry if it has been posted before.

does anyone knows why the labels are different? i suppose it could be a difference between pressing plants, but...

more info?

thanks in advance!

post-16289-0-28603400-1314455770.jpg

post-16289-0-36825400-1314455794_thumb.j

post-16289-0-03373200-1314455817_thumb.j

post-16289-0-81361400-1314455832_thumb.j

post-16289-0-62325500-1314455846.jpg

post-16289-0-04988500-1314455869_thumb.j

Social source share

• Replies 9
  • Views 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

while there may be different labels, what are you noticing that's different about those? They are all different scans / pictures which can look different due to scanners, cameras, lighting, etc. Those don't look that different to me.

They are different boba,some have writing round the edge at the botton some are blank round the bottom and writing on top..

Edited by ken
Social source share

They are different boba,some have writing round the edge at the botton some are blank round the bottom and writing on top..

Ok I didn't notice that. That really seems to be the only difference, label variations like that are common across releases even at the same pressing plant. Thanks.

Social source share

thanks, Ken. that's exactly what i mean.

Voodoo working booted though.

Borrowed this

I've been carefully looking at the dead wax of "Voodoo working" original and it's got machine stamped "Sheldan" on both sides with very carachteristic lettering that I doubt the bootlegs have. So beware from now on when you're offered a copy of this.

Edited by ken
Social source share

Guest rnb1980

yes, I know it. also the label colours are a bit different.

I've really attached those pictures as an example. It doesn't really matter talking about the Charles Sheffield, the Roscoe Shelton or the Slim Harpo, because the doubt is the same. I'm a bit confused. why are they different? could they be 1st or 2nd issues? in this case, which is earlier?

Social source share

yes, I know it. also the label colours are a bit different.

I've really attached those pictures as an example. It doesn't really matter talking about the Charles Sheffield, the Roscoe Shelton or the Slim Harpo, because the doubt is the same. I'm a bit confused. why are they different? could they be 1st or 2nd issues? in this case, which is earlier?

what I was trying to say in my first response was that, at least from the scans and pictures, the label colors are not necessarily different

Social source share

Excello had records pressed in several plants at the same time. Those all look like designs I have or have seen with legitimate releases. Usually, the print of the boots looks a bit shakier, as it comes from a photo. Sheldon, Nashville Matrix or the like (mastering references) stamped in the track should be proof that its real.

Social source share

Guest john s

One of those label designs (the one with the address round the bottom of the label) also features the RACOL mark (the little 'R' in a circle) which designates a registered trademark, while the other doesn't.

Not sure if Excello started using the mark at a particular time - or when the mark was introduced...

...but there could be a clue there, particularly IF the RACOL mark was introduced some time in the early 60's, say...

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!