Ashford & Simpson - (Artist Of The Week)

45cellar

• Replies 48
  • Views 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Very timely Roger. I've been re-reviewing the career of Nick & Val since mid this week. They're basically right up there with the greatest songwriters in music history and they've been doing it for 5 decades which is astonishing.

Here's a clip from February this year where they filmed a promo film for a new act they signed - Terry Lavell. It's an utterly brilliant song which I think out does Valentino's "I Was Born This Way" in terms of Gay anthems (not that I'm an expert by any means). However, then I remembered that Sylvester got his breakthrough hit with Ashford & Simpson's "Over & Over" so they have form in this area. It's got that whole Ashford & Simpson late 70's rhythm vibe going on and obviously the delivery is too cheesy for most tastes, but underneath all that, there's a great song with all the traditional Ashford & Simpson hallmarks. Plus good to see Val on keyboards and Nick grooving away in the background. I presume it was filmed at their club in New York but maybe someone can verify......?

Terry Lavell - Born This Way - Ashford & Simpson Video Clip From February This Year

Also, gratuitious plug here, but I have an Ashford & Simpson tribute coming up LIVE at 2.00pm today which covers a huge body of their work. 2 hours worth in fact 'cos every tune is connected with Nick & Val.......

August Bank Holiday 28/08/11 - ORIGINAL MASTERCUTS Ashford & Simpson Special Tribute Show!

Following the sad news of Nicholas Ashford’s passing away last week, we’re doing an ORIGINAL MASTERCUTS Ashford & Simpson bank holiday special which will feature two hours of wonderful music from the last 4 decades, all of which involved Nick Ashford & Valerie Simpson in different capacities, whether as solo and duet artists or writers, producers and arrangers. It’s a breath-taking look at a pair of careers that stretched from the mid 60’s to February 2011. The fact that Val Simpson met Nick Ashford on a park bench when he was down and out in New York simply adds to the mythology of two of the greatest songwriters of all time.

I had the pleasure working with Val & Nick in the early 80’s when I promoted “Solid” for Capitol/EMI and watched it become a smash in the UK. I hooked up with them again in 2007 when I interviewed them before their last UK gig at the Luxury Soul Weekender in Birmingham and, as always, it was a pleasure. Val was very prim and proper, sat very gracefully and formally in a table chair and allowed me to commence the interview. Nick was sprawled out on the sofa with legs akimbo and a huge grin on his face. He laughed like a hyena throughout the interview, especially when I asked Val what inspired the lyrics to “Let’s Go Get Stoned”, their first bona fide hit with Ray Charles. I’m trying to dig the interview out because it was great so I’ll post up when I get my hands on it! RIP Nick!

Anyway, this show will be a perfect soundtrack to a bank holiday weekend, so if you’re around then try and join me and the rest of the gang this Sunday afternoon LIVE for 2 hours of pure Soul pleasure!

Six Million Steps Presents The Original Mastercuts Show LIVE with Ian Dewhirst between 2.00-4.00pm on Sunday 28th August 2011 on everyone’s favourite Soul station www.starpointradio.com.

Featuring……

Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell * Diana Ross * Ashford & Simpson * Terry Lavell * The Braxtons * Ashford & Simpson * Marlena Shaw * Garland Green * Valerie & Nick * Marvin Gaye * The Marvelettes * The Four Tops * Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell * Collins & Collins * Ace Spectrum * Teddy Pendergrass * Valerie Simpson * Diana Ross * 6th Borough Project * Ashford & Simpson

This one's a BEAUTY!

Ian D :D

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

OK, for anyone who wants to spend 2 hours listening to nothing but great Ashford & Simpson tunes, then here is a playlist and download link for this weeks ORIGINAL MASTERCUTS Ashford & Simpson Bank Holiday Tribute Show......

ORIGINAL MASTERCUTS Ashford & Simpson Bank Holiday Special Tribute Show

OK, we have the download nice and early this week for a change! This was a truly beautiful show musically, albeit pretty sad to present under the circumstances. If you missed it, EVERY song played on the show is a Nick Ashford & Valerie Simpson tune spanning the 45+ years of an impeccable career. Naturally I’ve sprinkled the show with a variety of hot re-edits, some great remixes, numerous great early tunes they cut with other acts, a wonderful unreleased Marvin A&S cover and even the last release they were involved in, in February this year.

Hope you enjoy!

Six Million Steps Presents The Original Mastercuts Show Ashford & Simpson Bank Holiday Special Tribute LIVE with Ian Dewhirst between 2.00-4.00pm on Sunday 28th August 2011 on everyone’s favourite Soul station www.starpointradio.com.

Download link below!

Featuring……

1st Hour

Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell - Ain’t No Mountain High Enough – Dimitri From Paris Remix

Diana Ross – Remember Me – Futura Remix

Ashford & Simpson – Tried, Tested & Found True – Mike Maurro Remix

Terry Lavell – Born This Way – 2011 New Release

The Braxtons – The Boss – Album Version

Ashford & Simpson – Found A Cure – Frique Re-Edit

Ashford & Simpson – It Shows In The Eyes – From Performance Album

Ashford & Simpson – Street Corner – Womack Re-Edit

2nd Hour

Marlena Shaw – California Soul

Garland Green – Ain’t That Good Enough

Valerie & Nick – I’ll Find You

Marvin Gaye - When I Feel The Need – Unreleased Motown

The Marvelettes – Your Love Can Save Me

The Four Tops – Can’t Seem To Get You Out Of My Mind

Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell – The Onion Song

Ace Spectrum – Don’t Send Nobody Else

Collins & Collins – Top Of The Stairs

Valerie Simpson – Silly Wasn’t I

Teddy Pendergrass – Only To You

Diana Ross – It’s My House – Promo-Only 12” Mix

Ashford & Simpson – Get Out Your Handkerchief

Ashford & Simpson – It Seems To Hang On – Touchsoul Re-Edit

Ashford & Simpson – Over & Over – Original 12” Mix

https://www.sixmillionsteps.com/6MS-2011-08-28-Starpoint.mp3

Al’s back next Sunday so I’ll see you on Sunday 11th September @ 2.00pm LIVE!

Thanks for listening!

Ian D :D

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

• 7 years later...

Here’s one of my favourites,  Ashford & Simpson ‎– It'll Come, It'll Come, It'll Come..,

utterly brilliant building song that never gets much recognition as far as I can see, can’t find a you tube clip I’m afraid, so all I would say is seek it out and buy blind with utter confidence !!! Can’t go wrong on this one 

mal

4EF247E0-0AA4-48B3-A7AF-B250E11CB353.jpeg

Edited by Mal C
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Always loved this calibration between them... just so I got this right, as in the back of my mind remember this may not have been them, but this is penned and sang by Josie, Nick and Valarie...??

arranged by Gene Page :/) 

Edited by Mal C
Social source share

4 hours ago, Mal C said:

Always loved this calibration between them... just so I got this right, as in the back of my mind remember this may not have been them, but this is penned and sang by Josie, Nick and Valarie...??

arranged by Gene Page :/) 

Jo Ann = Jo Ann Campbell, Troy is her husband Troy Seals

jo ann.jpg

seals.jpg

Edited by The Yank
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Guest Polyvelts

Vals brother, [who sings backup on so many of their revordings] whole LP is Ashford/Simpson written and produced

Social source share

On 27/08/2011 at 20:54, Kris Holmes said:

just bought Destination Anywhere yesterday from a local store, on the other label design though.

i also dug out that Gospel LP from the early 60s which Ashford is on, raw, good stuff.

It is the Followers "Gospel Meeting" and both Ashford and Simpson are on it (according to notes on back)...

(was released on Roulette and Forum Circle, but not sure which was first)

https://www.discogs.com/The-Followers-Gospel-Meeting-With-The-Followers/release/9440313

Social source share

On 23/06/2019 at 19:10, polyvelts said:

surely one of their finest .

Still stunned by the ‘many’ unbelievable Gladys Knight + pips tracks there are, just when you think, I heard all they gotta give, you hear another you have never heard of... just unbelievable group:-)

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Guest Polyvelts

Valerie Simpson still killing it at The Sugar Bar , upper Westside NYC

Edited by Polyvelts
Social source share

Hiya, not read all the thread but is ' when I feel the need ' by nick Ashford on there ? Bought another copy a few years ago and it's great but when I heard marvyns version it took the song to another level. Prob 25 / 30 years when I first heard marvyns version and played it to death and it still blows me away. Awesome!!!! Just shows a good song with class arrangement and a great singer changes everything, a true spine tingler. Cheers, pete

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Well joe you were out of the blocks there mate, but urrrr I think we all had the ‘monster’ several times... lol

Bourgie bourgie is great, Romona Johnson did s good cover back in early 2000 or so, also did a great cover of ‘taste of bitter love’ on Dome records... 

liberal use of the ‘hat’ thumbs up, well if you can’t say it about Ashford Simpson what’s the use of having it!!! 

Edited by Mal C
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!