• Replies 5
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

an Interesting article that concerns itself with the 'old' and the 'new'

https://www.philly.co...yl-Johnson.html

Reading between the lines I guess this affair may now be in the hands of lawyers or heading that way...

clip below..

Chicago soul man Syl Johnson, who was the subject of a massive retrospective box issued by the Numero Group last year, has a beef with fellow Windy City resident Kanye West and his Watch The Throne partner Jay-Z. It seems that last year, West's lawyers and Numero were in negotiations over the use of a sample of Johnson's song "Different Strokes" on "The Joy," a West creation targeted for My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy.

Talks broke down, and the song didn't make the album, but now it's turned up on Watch The Throne, the celebrated collabo by the two hotshot rappers, even though an agreement was never reached.

Read more: https://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/inthemix/Note-to-Kanye-and-Jay-Z-Dont-Mess-with-Syl-Johnson.html

Click here to view the article

Mike,

Syl came to Australia for the first time around 18 months ago and was brilliant live (backed by the Bamboos) and it was obvious from his demeanour and the language he used on stage (especially during "Ms Fine Brown Frame") that he really did come from the mean streets of Chicago and is not a guy to be messed with, even in his mid 70's !

He made such an impression that he's back again performing in Sydney next weekend.

Has he ever performed in the UK ? Surely he would be an excellent attraction to UK promoters for a Northern/rare Soul weekender ???

Edited by sunnysoul
Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

Syl will be appearing "live" at the Scottish Weekender in November, if you've not seen him live i recommend you get your arse up to Dumfries! saw him at Dave Box's 60th a few years back.

Is it because I'm black, one way ticket, etc sound brilliant live.....be there !

Hi Rob how you and your's doing mate not seen you for yonk's me duck! it's amazing how popular Syl is even to non northern folk his funk and protest fans are almost uncountable here in the U.K. We have stocked his singles box set since it came out and have just re stocked it sells all over although I think it's about sold out by numero now as they told me that the last order would be thae last that they would let out .So his popularity is still huge all over hopefully I'll see you soon regards and respect Simon.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!