A Taste Of Honey Alldayer, The Hell Fire Club, Manchester

Well it was off to sunny Manchester yesterday afternoon (OK I'm lying, it rained !) A Taste of Honey at the Hellfire Club. The line up was top notch for an alldayer: Chris Morgan, Soul Sam, The Willinghams, Phil Shield, Matt from Rugby, and Kenny all the way from Tottenham, plus some bloke from Dudley.

I really enjoy these dayers because they are so relaxed (Or is that the bottles of Hobgoblin ?) and there is no pressure on the DJs to fill a dancefloor. People dance if they want to, simple as that.

This time though I was only there till about 6.30pm, and to be honest the numbers through the door were dreadful, it was almost as though each punter had their own personal DJ at one point. Hopefully it picked up after I left (Or perhaps people were waiting until I'd DJ'ed and left before they turned up !)

I can't understand why a line up like that failed to attract large numbers, every one of the DJs is an experienced niter DJ with a great collection, and in Soul Sam & The Willinghams you have two (Three ?) of the biggest names in the country, well, Barnfather and Willingham do have a lot of letters, so they really are two of the biggest names in the country !

Perhaps it was because it was the August Bank Holiday weekend, and people were doing other things, or perhaps just the, sadly common, overkill of events on a Bank Holiday. But with a catchment area like Manchester I really did expect more there.

Anyway, to give you a flavour of the day, here's my playlist . I did about and hour and fifteen minutes, and thoroughly enjoyed every one of them. These are roughly in the right order, and there may be a few missing:

Started off with a few R & B

Lee Shot Williams – Mark My Words – Palos

Betty Harris – 12 Red Roses – Sansu

Little Daddy Walton & Sons – Highway Blues – Big Hit

Daniel E Skidmore – Little Old Groovemaker – Parkway

Bobby Bland – Sweet Lips Of Joy – Duke Lp

Then onto some mid-tempo and Beat Ballads

La Reine La Mar – That’s Not The Way To Love – Cloud

Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings – Better Things – Daptone

Quotations – I Wanna Thank You Baby – Unreleased Di-Venus

Gwenn Douglass – The Picture – Michelle

Tempos – Lonely One – Rileys

Kenny Hamber – Anything You Want – Arctic

Andrea Henry – I Need You Like A Baby – MGM

George Smith – I’ve Had It – Turntable

Rose St John – I Know The Meaning – Veep

Rose St John – And If I Had My Way – United Artists

Charles Lamont & The Extremes – I’ve Got To Keep Movin’ – Challenge

Suger & The Spoices – Have Faith In Me – Swan

Jewel Akens – My First Lonely Night – Era

Finishing off with some Detroit

Edwin Star – My Kinda Woman – Ric-Tic

Linda Griner – Goodbye Cruel Love – Motown

Liz Lands – Midnight Johnny – Gordy

Thelma Lindsey – Why Weren’t You There – Magic City

Tony Hestor – Just Can’t Leave You – Karate

Bob & Fred – I’ll Be On My Way – Big Mack

Jackey Beavers –Love That Never Grows Old – Revilot

Stewart Ames – Angelina Oh Angelina – J & W

Brooks Brothers – Lookin’ For A Woman – Tay

Melvin Davis – I Must Love You - Groovesville

So if you are looking for a relaxed Sunday afternoon, in one of the most unusual venues you will ever come across, with DJs playing what they want to play, quality all the way though, keep your eyes open for the next Taste Of Honey alldayer.

• Replies 3
  • Views 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

An eloquent and accurate summation of the day Dave, Thankyou once again for your company and the mighty fine tunes!

Very quiet yet the rain and the fact that there were only a few of us to savour the sublime music on offer didn’t dampen our spirits.As you say Dave an excellent line-up and thanks for lightening the mood ‘a bouncy castle’ an inspired promotional attraction which no doubt will be featured soon ! But IThink we’ll stick to Quality tunes and keep it cozy with a small yet appreciative and adventurous crew of fellow Souls . In Short ‘I’d rather ride a Thoroughbred than a Pantomime Horse’ !

As is the norm these days, a very busy Events calendar affected attendance but hey that’s life and it’s a choice to promote not a right so musn’t grumble yet last minute local events springing up certainly did us a disservice and with friends involved in staging these promotions it leaves you wondering about the motivation behind such ventures as ‘Chico Mendes’ said ‘It is a sad and a beautifull world’ but there’s a bigger picture folks. All I can say is : for us it’s about the music and having , and sharing , goodtimes ....and long may it continue!

Musically the day was sweet bliss with many sides new to my ears ...so a massive Thankyou to our Fab DJs and especially to everyone who shared the day with us.........You’re The Bees’Knees !!!!

Future dates will be posted soon

Bless Y’all

Cptn M

EARLY & LATE SETS (NOT IN ANY ORDER)

MAXINE BROWN . I CAN’T GET ALONG WITHOUT YOU. UK MAJOR MINOR

BOBBY PATERSON . RECIPE FOR PEACE . PAULA

THE INVINCIBLES . THIS IS MY STORY . WB

THE COMMANDS . HEY I’TS LOVE . BACK BEAT

CHRIS MYERS . SWEETEST GREATEST GUY . TRUDEL

THE EPSILONS . I’M SO DEVOTED . SHRINE

STAGE IV . JUST ANOTHER GUY . MILLIE

THE JOYS OF LIFE . GOOD TIMES ARE OVER . COLUMBIA

THE SUPERBS . I WAS BLIND . DORE

THE OUTRIDERS . THE TELEGRAM SONG . UK DART

ANSWERS TO LOVE . TRY MY LOVE . LION

DEL ROYALS . SOME KIND OF WONDERFUL . MERCURY

THE DeVONS . GROOVIN WITH MY THING . MR G RECORDS

JUDY McDONALD WITH THE MELLOWETTES . THERE’S NOTHING I’D RATHER DO . VRC

HOAGY LANDS . DO YOU KNOW WHAT LIFE IS ALL ABOUT. SPECTRUM

VERBLE DOMINO . I’VE BEEN FOOLED BEFORE . TOI

JIMMY MACK . GO ON . PALMER

EDDIE HOLMAN . FOUR WALLS . VIRTUE ACETATE

JUNE JACKSON . YOU NOW HOW LOVE IS . MUSETTE TP

RAY POLLARD . THIS TIME . SHRINE

ELOISE LAWS . I THINK YOU NEED LOVE . UNNISUED

LARRY SAUNDERS . FLY AWAY LOVE BIRD . SOUL INTERNATIONAL

LOVE UNLIMITED . TOGETHER . MEXICAN MCA

LOLEATTA HOLLOWAY . I KNOW WHERE YOU’RE COMING FROM . GAMMA MEXICAN

SILVER LINING . MY SONG . DUSIC

PERCY THOMAS ‘HEY LOVE’ DYNA GROOVE

JOEY IRVING & ‘JUST US’ . THERE’S A MAN . BALTIC

ARTHUR PRYSOCK . PIECES . C/U

BETTY WRIGHT . IF I WAS A KID . ALSTON

FRANK DELL . WHAT MORE CAN I DO . VALISE 12"

JOHNNY CASWELL . ALL MIXED UP . MIRASOUND ACETATE (FOR CPL SHIELDS...CHEERS PHIL ‘YOUR A GENT ! )

Edited by bearsoul

Had a wonderful day with music of the highest order from some of the best dj's in the land,enjoyed the banter as usual too,especially after the footie results.

Love these alldayers,so relaxed and great fun,me and the guys will be back for more next time.Steve,Conrad and Jimmy.

p.s. "Mary had a little pig" lol.

Source Advert