Which Northern Track You Dislike The Most

It's crap. All versions are. Except Harold Melvin's.

In my opinion, obviously :D

But you used to like the Jewels Pete..... and as I've pointed out before - that IS crap! (In my opinion of course) :lol:

Social source share

What the f*ck has that got to do with 'Get Out'?

Yow wuz insinewating that surtin vershuns ov it was "crap"

PS

Did Gene Pitneys Aardvark recover from its back problems?

Social source share

Guest allnightandy

I could live without "The Flasher"by Misturer

Oh and "Dance a la music" The French Fries

"Cut your Motor off" Black Nasty

Edited by allnightandy
Social source share

Agree with many, but several eye openers , lou pride? frankie love man crocker ?MEL BRITT?magnetics? its beyond me.... personal hates include joey lorenzo, the present ,per so nally, any thing levine has touched.true that some stuff is probably only ok due to the memories , for me zola is acase in point. i,m well sick of the majestics too, never understood the appeal of the carstairs neither.

Social source share

Guest turntableterra

Yep, well remember going to Torch on one occasion, scored some sulphate, first time we'd seen it, couple of wraps, I'll swear they only had two records they played that night....Times a wasting and a tune I can hear in my head even now, but not enough to identify it, might be love you baby or self soul satisfaction.

Bad records, having bought a copy of Wombat, off fleabay, but on spec, not having heard it but seen it mentioned on another site, I'm inclined to agree :-

How did get classed as Northern?, I've relegated to back of record box, waste of greens as far as I'm concerned, anyone after a near mint copy PM me with a reasonable offer.

CHECK OUT THE OTHER SIDE OF DANCE DANCE DANCE, GREAT SOUL

Social source share

Any thing that Ian levine got his hands on ( just rembemer the stange world of northern soul ) all these classic's killed

At least he had a go, he documented all of those artists, half of them have died since and if he hadn't done it, there'd be no record that half of them even existed. I don't like a lot of the backing tracks, the drum samples etc but that film gets better every time you watch it, seriously. I watched about 2 hours of it last night so it's still fresh in my mind, and I was one of, if not the, biggest detractor of the film when it came out.

Ian Levine should be knighted for his services to soul music on the basis of this film alone.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

• 1 year later...

Barbara McNair "Your Gonna Love My Baby" & Tobi Legend "Time Will Pass You By"

Altough I like their other stuff the above two tracks are total depressing dross ! :facepalm:

Also have to agree with a earlier post about Pookie Hudson, sounds like his pissed.

If your gonna get slaughtered and then try and sing leave it to a professional Like Dean "Little Ole' Wine Drinker" Martin :lol:

Dave

Social source share

Guest BAKUNIN

Only just come across this thread and was going to read through all the pages.

Having read only the last 3 pages  that Benny Troy pile of **** has come up 3 times already

so as that gets my vote as well must be winning hands down by now.

Social source share

Reggie Garner - Hotline

I still get a thrill every time I hear this record, reminds me of saving up my paper round money for weeks to buy my first ever made to order Emidisc - Hot Line with Lou Pride on the other side.  1975, 15 years old with the whole world in front of me...

• Helpful 2
Social source share

i think a lots of these dislikes are based on the fact the listener has heard them far too much (understandable to a degree if you've been listening since mid 70's)..but honestly some are not crap as often cited!!..and i think some are jumpin on a bandwagon..it seems Frank Wilson is fave to be maligned..

• Helpful 1
Social source share

another two that have me running outside for a smoke :sleep3: 

kirk franklin  looking for you  [often played back to back  with bob sinclair] imagine that :g: 

billy davis      stanky gets funky  [words fail me ]

Edited by soap
Social source share

What - Judy Street. Despite its popularity I consider this to be a totally naff sound. A must have for the all wedding DJ's in the land to compliment their "northern" collection siting nicely alongside Needle in a Haystack and Ghost in my House. I cringe with embarrassment when the 10 minute SOUL slot at family weddings typically throws this crap up and all the pissed up dads get up doing their bit by dancing out of time to what they consider to be classic northern soul. What a load of b*llocks!! And as for being rated no. 37 by Kev Roberts in the definitive Top 500.... Each to his own I guess

Edited by pikeys dog
swearing - workplace filters
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!