Which Northern Track You Dislike The Most

What about some of the hideous crap that were massive at Wigan in the day -  like Nosmo King, Goodby Nothing To Say and that bloody Cochise.

How embarasing, they packed the floor. Thank god I've never heard them since. Although I'm surprised no one has included them on one of those cheesy so called Northern Soul CD's.

Social source share

Useless records which should never have been played:

miss dee dee philips - hey little girl

mike mcdonald - god knows

king errison - zola

montclairs - hung up on your love

carstairs - it really hurts me girl

jc messina - time won't let me

ellingtons - destined to become a loser

happy cats - these boots are made for walking

baby dolls - got to get you into my life

have to disagree with u on a few of those Pete

Social source share

another two that have me running outside for a smoke :sleep3: 

kirk franklin  looking for you  [often played back to back  with bob sinclair] imagine that :g: 

billy davis      stanky gets funky  [words fail me ]

YEP A LOAD O RUBBISH THE PAIR OF EM

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Streuth SOAP you can read and write as well, is there no start to your talents. :g:

Judging by the amount of time you spend outside venues smoking you must hate a awful lot of the stuff played :wicked: 

john, its just as well you don't smoke, you would spend as much time outside as me :thumbsup: we are becoming to be known as waldorf and stadler :thumbup:

Social source share

King of Crap - Dean Barlow - "3rd window from the right." (This was actually directions given to him while in a tower block.)

In second place,DJ Genesis - "tribute to betty".(I've found that this is just long enough to go to the loo,then back to the bar for a beer.Try it.If you're lucky it will have finished by then.)

Third,or is that turd,Travis Wammack - "Scratchy"...(a truly scary record, a swede ripper.)

Social source share

Guest Dave Ward

Maurice Chestnut - Too darn Soulful; (The vocals sound like Jim Davidson doing his crap impression of a Jamaican accent).

Frank Wilson - Do I love You; ( 5 beats per minute too fast, even Motown binned this turd).

Ronnie McNeir - Sitting in my Class; (You may well be, but I'll see you outside at playtime).

Social source share

What about some of the hideous crap that were massive at Wigan in the day -  like Nosmo King, Goodby Nothing To Say and that bloody Cochise.

How embarasing, they packed the floor. Thank god I've never heard them since. Although I'm surprised no one has included them on one of those cheesy so called Northern Soul CD's.

I love it.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

i think a lots of these dislikes are based on the fact the listener has heard them far too much (understandable to a degree if you've been listening since mid 70's)..but honestly some are not crap as often cited!!..and i think some are jumpin on a bandwagon..it seems Frank Wilson is fave to be maligned..

In my case my dislikes are purely down to taste. I've heard Please Stay - The Ivories a million times but it's my all time number one. I love soul music across the board and if I like it fine, if not it's my personal preference. Each to their own.

Edited by Mrs M
Social source share

It's gotta be a toss up between The Casualeers and 'You're Ready Now' for me.

Mind you I used to despise The Del-Larks though finally came to my senses. Which I don't think I'll do with the two above.

Did someone say Joey Delorenzo was a recent discovery?! How recent was 2003? I used to love this and still do. A proper Marmite record.

Social source share

the biggest surprise this thread throws up is the variety of sounds disliked. Some I'd consider stone cold northern soul classics, others decent records probably played too often, and then some lesser 'soulful' which were massive in the heyday and now are almost hated.Some are truly annoying..Scratchy..etc..but again compare them to lesser known, almost unknown rarer items ( sometimes played imo only coz they're rare) and it doesnt stack up.Instead of 'keep the faith and right on'  I suggest a new northern soul soundbite 'Northern soul-Each to their own!'....

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I guess the real test are records that don't get played any more. No revival etc.

Black Soul Music - Black Soul........... Never heard it since the Winter Gardens in the late 70s.

No doubt it will be loved and played somewhere..................

The list of terrible records is in the hundreds, that's a fact

Social source share

Guest Soulsurfer

You can look through this thread and see some truely crap records but for me the scene has sunk to as yet uncharted depths with this......

WTF!!!!!.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cARPXpHYCE

Unbelievably, this got played in the main room last night at the tower weekender by Kev Roberts. on a CD or MP3 no less. It put the cap on a shocking evening. Predictably, the floor was absolutely rammed.

:thumbup:  :rofl:

Edited by Liamsoul85
Social source share

Unbelievably, this got played in the main room last night at the tower weekender by Kev Roberts. on a CD or MP3 no less. It put the cap on a shocking evening. Predictably, the floor was absolutely rammed.

:thumbup:  :rofl:

Yeah, figures.... It's not even a good house record! I wish someone would put a quality niter on there. With people playing real records. Or just, in this case, records.

Also, as an aside it's interesting what people have chosen as their least favorite sounds. I'll be honest and say that I'll never be able to connect on an emotional level with someone who thinks Pyramid by Soul Bros Inc. is dross. 

• Helpful 2
Social source share

You can look through this thread and see some truely crap records but for me the scene has sunk to as yet uncharted depths with this......

WTF!!!!!.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cARPXpHYCE

.. Wow, a new one on me... That needs a hammer taking to it.... What shite " come on".. What's the story on this track?? Edited by little-stevie
Social source share

Guest Soulsurfer

Yeah, figures.... It's not even a good house record! I wish someone would put a quality niter on there. With people playing real records. Or just, in this case, records.

Also, as an aside it's interesting what people have chosen as their least favorite sounds. I'll be honest and say that I'll never be able to connect on an emotional level with someone who thinks Pyramid by Soul Bros Inc. is dross. 

In fairness, I thought the 40th anniversary nighter was ok - I took it at face value and had a good night, and there was some fantastic stuff played - Ginger Taylor played Heartache Souvenirs for example, WONDERFUL!

Social source share

It's been filling floors around the East Midlands for 4 or 5 years now, it's a B side to an obscure Italian 12" which goes for about £75 if you can find one.

it's one of those that got hammered on the modern scene and picked up by the northern crowd, Neo, Mario Biondi etc etc

It didn't even get hammered  on the modern scene, did it? Certainly not that I'm aware of. It's utter crap. I know some crap tunes are popular on the modern scene e.g. Lisa Stansfield, but God knows how someone that this would work at any kind of soul gig let alone a northern one.

Social source share

It didn't even get hammered  on the modern scene, did it? Certainly not that I'm aware of. It's utter crap. I know some crap tunes are popular on the modern scene e.g. Lisa Stansfield, but God knows how someone that this would work at any kind of soul gig let alone a northern one.

There was some discussion of this record on the events look back on Prestatyn this year.

I don't care for the record personally but it absolutely rocked the modern room on the Friday night at that weekender!!!

A case of wrong tune in the right place at the right time maybe?

Social source share

never heard the tribute /bob Sinclair crap at any of the east midland venues I have been to , its more of a handbaggers thing played at some south Yorkshire venues and first time my angie heard this she said she thought she had been teleported to Chicago rock in Barnsley ffs

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Doug Banks - I Just Kept On Dancing - absolute dirge - as is Ain't That Just Like A Woman (though isn't that a different DB?) - and Romance effing Watson.

Dx

PS Oh and I forgot sodding JD Bryant - sometimes records are rare because they deserve to be!

Edited by DaveNPete
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!