Dance , Dance , Dance .... / Who Did / Does And Still Cut The Rug

northernsoul.jpg

I have seen and responded to a " plethora " of Dancer related topics over the years !!

But always wondered about those that did and still do stand out from the floor ,

We all have our favourites from venues ,

There have been many posts of dance competition winners from Wigan , Leicester , Morecambe , and beyond ,

I always believed the best dancers NEVER entered these contests !!

So if you were the Wigan Champ in 73 onwards , did you continue at Staffs , Leics and the 100 Club in the 80's , to emerge at a soul night in the 90's or even now at a weekender ?

My example would be Tony " Chippy " Nichols , Wigan from 76 onwards and a recent winner at Blackpool , a great dancer ,

BUT there must be loads out there ........................................................................................................... :g:

Social source share

• Replies 12
  • Views 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

• 5 weeks later...

northernsoul.jpg

I have seen and responded to a " plethora " of Dancer related topics over the years !!

But always wondered about those that did and still do stand out from the floor ,

We all have our favourites from venues ,

There have been many posts of dance competition winners from Wigan , Leicester , Morecambe , and beyond ,

I always believed the best dancers NEVER entered these contests !!

So if you were the Wigan Champ in 73 onwards , did you continue at Staffs , Leics and the 100 Club in the 80's , to emerge at a soul night in the 90's or even now at a weekender ?

My example would be Tony " Chippy " Nichols , Wigan from 76 onwards and a recent winner at Blackpool , a great dancer ,

BUT there must be loads out there ........................................................................................................... :g:

personally I've been told I would wipe the floor with the best dancers but dancing is a passion for me ! I have never entered a competition! But does it really matter how good we are at it? As long as one has the balls and the passion to get up on the floor ? Micky p Newcastle upon Tyne and by the way a big hello to the St doms crew in the toon, respect

Edited by micky p
Social source share

• 6 months later...
Guest manusf3a

Black Gino,best shuffler ,For spinning in his day little Danny Daniels,My good friend Mick Gavin r.i.p was also good when he got going ,again a style that didnt give a f*ck about acrobatics.Danny is very ill these days and has had rheumatoid arthritis for many years,unfortunately for Danny he got ill early on and had a run of bad health because when he won the dancing competition at wigan he was only 16 just turned and he stopped going to all nighters not long after he would have only got better, again no acrobatics but footwork step and spins that looked impossible they would go on so long.Matchie had the name from back then but didnt really see him at what was said to be his best so therefore wont rate him.There were lots of good dancers around Northants cambridshire from the early seventies on.I havent been for a long time but when I watch video thesedays its all pretty much the backdrop and swallow dive is king(or so it seems to me)Anyway must make an effort to get to an all nighter somewhere to see for myself.

Social source share

Black Gino,best shuffler ,For spinning in his day little Danny Daniels,My good friend Mick Gavin r.i.p was also good when he got going ,again a style that didnt give a f*ck about acrobatics.Danny is very ill these days and has had rheumatoid arthritis for many years,unfortunately for Danny he got ill early on and had a run of bad health because when he won the dancing competition at wigan he was only 16 just turned and he stopped going to all nighters not long after he would have only got better, again no acrobatics but footwork step and spins that looked impossible they would go on so long.Matchie had the name from back then but didnt really see him at what was said to be his best so therefore wont rate him.There were lots of good dancers around Northants cambridshire from the early seventies on.I havent been for a long time but when I watch video thesedays its all pretty much the backdrop and swallow dive is king(or so it seems to me)Anyway must make an effort to get to an all nighter somewhere to see for myself.

The thing is...everybody was different..there wasn't a composite dancer in the early years...Matchy had a style of his own as did many of us...the best dancers like Frank New at the Wheel and Dave Murray from Blackpool were the best of that generation...personally Rob Day was the best dancer I've ever seen although Jethro was good..as far as Sheffield was concerned I think it was a toss up between Mick France and Wayne Johnson

Social source share

Guest manusf3a

The thing is...everybody was different..there wasn't a composite dancer in the early years...Matchy had a style of his own as did many of us...the best dancers like Frank New at the Wheel and Dave Murray from Blackpool were the best of that generation...personally Rob Day was the best dancer I've ever seen although Jethro was good..as far as Sheffield was concerned I think it was a toss up between Mick France and Wayne Johnson

There were some really good dancers at samanthas I think the dancefloor itself size and type made it ideal for someone with really good footwork as you would be pretty tightly packed (Imo much better all nighter than Wigan,brilliant atmosphere)It wasnt really made for doin acrobatics on,some really good movers in the oldies room on that tiny floor as well..
Social source share

There were some really good dancers at samanthas I think the dancefloor itself size and type made it ideal for someone with really good footwork as you would be pretty tightly packed (Imo much better all nighter than Wigan,brilliant atmosphere)It wasnt really made for doin acrobatics on,some really good movers in the oldies room on that tiny floor as well..

Ahhh the small packed floor in the newies room gave rise to the fast small shuffle type dancing basically dancing on the spot as there wasnt enough room for the more expansive style and acrobatis were a rarity on that floor in 76

The Sammys shuffle we used to call it as opposed to the Wigan stomping style

Just my opinion I'm sure some body wil find fault

Speedy spike

Social source share

Ahhh the small packed floor in the newies room gave rise to the fast small shuffle type dancing basically dancing on the spot as there wasnt enough room for the more expansive style and acrobatis were a rarity on that floor in 76

The Sammys shuffle we used to call it as opposed to the Wigan stomping style

Just my opinion I'm sure some body wil find fault

Speedy spike

there was a piece I read once - think was on a mod site - that used similar thinking as a reason for the difference in north v south dancing styles

along the lines of

south/london - property was expensive so clubs were smaller and so the floor smaller

north - the opposite - less cost - so larger dance floors

all sort of "in general" but sort of made sense to me

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest soul elite

The first thing that attracted me to Terry was his beautiful dancing and that was at 53yrs old (4yrs ago) and I still love to watch him dance!?!?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!