News: Hype & Soul - Al Abrams - It's Arrived!

• Replies 20
  • Views 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I spent most of last night reading through the book but eventually fell asleep as it was so late. There is a mountain of stuff in there and all pf it, beautifully illustrated and presented. There are superb examples of how Motown was promoted and the hard work spent trying to get the music to the people. This book makes the reader feel as though they were there as it happened and as a staunch Motown follower, it can't get any better than that.

Well done to everyone that was involved in this project. An excellent publication for all music fans.

Social source share

Thanks for the nice comments.

We are having a launch weekend for the book Manchester this weekend.

It will be on sale at Beatin' Rhythm on Saturday & Sunday, and at The Twisted Wheel session on Sunday from 3pm till 8pm.

All copies sold at The Wheel will be marked with a stamper confirming they were bought on the day.

All the books will have the bonus Tamla Motown Appreciation Society disc included, I know because I have just packed them.

If you cannot get to Manchester and want the book then you can order online - www.souvation.biz

It is also available on Amazon too - but ignore the £29.99 price "not in stock" listing. That is from Amazon and it is not in stock because we are not supplying them. The other listing is from me and is in stock.

All The Best,

Neil

Social source share

My copy arrived in the Netherlands today. I have to say it looks jaw-droppingly good.

Glad the overseas copies are getting through to their destinations.

Pleased you like it Russell, the book is causing quite a stir.

Getting it out has been a marathon, and we hit the wall more than once, but it has come out great.

The story about Al, Barrett Strong and the young lady seems to creating the biggest stir.

For me it is Al's meeting with Alan Freed to get the dub of "Money" played that makes me smile each time I read it.

And how about "The Detroit Sound" memo about the two bit labels.Priceless!

Social source share

Just a quick note to say that the advance copies of the Al Abrams book "Hype & Soul - Behind The Scenes At Motown" turned up last night. They have been approved and we will have the bulk stock delivered early next weeek, and will be mailing out on Tuesday or Wednesday to everyone who has ordered an advance copy.

The book looks amazing and we are thrilled with it. If you are into Motown and Soul it's a must read.

It's strange how things work out. The approval copies turned up yesterday around the same time as Al sadly,attended the funeral of his former boss an...

this is an 500 chrs clip of the article - use link below to view the article in full (images, video etc)

Click here to view the soul article in full

Hey Neil i thought i purchased one of those pre-purchase opportunities but i never received it Is there anyway i can check. I cant even remember if i paid with a credit card or paypal If there's no way of checking dont worry yourself about it It's my fault-cheers

DJ

Social source share

Hey Neil i thought i purchased one of those pre-purchase opportunities but i never received it Is there anyway i can check. I cant even remember if i paid with a credit card or paypal If there's no way of checking dont worry yourself about it It's my fault-cheers

DJ

All pre-orders have gone out. You would have received a copy of the bonus single as soon as you paid, and the book went out last week.

If you haven't got either it means either you have not ordered or we have messed up. Please PM me with your full details and some idea of the date you think you paid and we will check.

Social source share

Only the first 500 copies of the book contain the bonus TMAS single. After that it is the book without the single which will available.

To get the book with the single you can order online from

www.soulvation.biz

or

Amazon

but if you order it for £29.99 you won't get it, as that it Amazon trying it on and we have not supplied to them.

The £39,99 listing is from our Amazon shop and if you order it you will get it.

All The Best,

Neil

Social source share

Been asked a lot about selling the book on Amazon.

Amazon have been offering it for sale but after undercutting us and not even approaching us about taking stock they HAVE NOT HAD STOCK.

But it is now on Amazon via our web shop, and WE DO HAVE STOCK.

Link is -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/browse.html?ie=UTF8&marketplaceID=A1F83G8C2ARO7P&me=A333GCMWVYSTRY

All The Best - Neil

Social source share

The Detroit FREEP newspaper ran a massive spread/review of the book on Sunday,and that has resulted in a rush of sales in Detroit and Michigcan book stories. The book has also infiltrated to Japan and is creating a stir over there..

In fact we have done a lot more on export that I imagined would be the case, just shows how much Motown is loved all round the world. .

Anyway as a result the frst 500 books with the bonus replcia TMAS

are going fast.

If you want one you can order from www.soulvation.biz or Soulvation shop on Amazon. Amazon themselves are saying it is out of stock (they never had it!) but if you persevere you will see the book available on the Soulvation Amazon shop..

After these sell out, books will be available without the TMAS single.

All The Best - Neil

Social source share

Got my copy yesterday...recommended it to some fellow collectors in the store at the same time and x3 more left the shelves!

:thumbsup:

A stunning piece of work featuring a fabulous account of behind the scenes realities of the day. I am particularly interested in the picture on page 18 taken during '66(?) whilst the Supremes were on tour in Japan...anyone got any other details of that Japanese trip? I've seen some poor quality clips of 'the Supremes In The Orient' video footage, but doesn't tell you much. I've also seen some colour pics of them dressed up in kimono, but can't source those at present...anyone help?!

:g:

Edited by Flynny
Social source share

The Supremes' Far East tour took place in the Fall of 1966. They appeared in Tokyo, Okinawa,

Taiwan, Hong Kong, Manila and also stopped at several U.S. Naval and Air Force bases.

Many thanks...have followed that up and found some great useful information for my own book on American Soul released in 1960's Japan!

:thumbup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!