Supurbs - Only For Lovers - Alteen

ritchie

• Replies 20
  • Views 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Alteen Records was formed in 1968 by owner Bill Meeks (who also had a commercial music jingle production business). Alteen ran into the early 1970s (1972?). Meeks produced the recording sessions, with help from Marshall Thompson and Billy McGregor. I have the following 3 records:

AL 8652 Drake and The En Solids "Please Leave Me"/"I'll Always Be There" 1968

HP 3001 Sunday (Williams) "Ain't Got No Problems"/"Where Did He Come From" 1969

AL 3004 Superbs "Only For lovers"/"You Don't Care" 1970

I have seen at least one more Drake and The en-Solids It might be AL 3002 or AL 3003. And, I believe that there was likely another in the early '70s (1970 or 1971), on which McGregor also worked (according to his interview with Bob Abrahamian on his "Sitting In The Park" streamed radio show (BobA) on THIS forum. I'm sure he can tell you a lot more about Alteen than I, especially as I believe he has also interviewed Marshall Thompson and, possibly members of The Superbs, and maybe Sunday Williams (or, at least, people who knew them). If he notices this thread, you will learn as much about Alteen Records as is possible.

I believe there was also a release on Robert Taylor (produced by Billy McGregor

I have seen mainly this powder blue pressing of The Superbs record, but seem to also remember seeing a red one as well. I lived in Chicago at the time it was out, and never saw a silver nor gold issue. I wonder if those could be Bootlegs of British origin?

Here's my copy:

Edited by RobbK
Social source share

Hi Robb. I have not interviewed Marshall Thompson or the Supurbs, sorry. I did interview the Voices who are the girl singers on all the Al-Teen records. Other records on the label include Johnny McCall and Earl Duff. Winner (the label elvin spencer was on) is also the same label as Al-Teen.

In Chicago I see the superbs most commonly on the gold label, blue is the rarest in my experience.

Social source share

Hi Robb. I have not interviewed Marshall Thompson or the Supurbs, sorry. I did interview the Voices who are the girl singers on all the Al-Teen records. Other records on the label include Johnny McCall and Earl Duff. Winner (the label elvin spencer was on) is also the same label as Al-Teen.

In Chicago I see the superbs most commonly on the gold label, blue is the rarest in my experience.

Thanks for the info, Bob. You've interviewed so many people from The Business who were around in Chicago in the late '60s, that I figured some of those interviews touched on Alteen Records. I even thought I'd remembered hearing some of that in some of the interviews. i had gotten caught up on your interviews to about 3 months ago. But, it's hard to remember all that everyone covered in their responses.

Nice to hear that I've got the "rarest' pressing.

Do you remember seeing another Drake and The En-Solids and The Robert Taylor releases? Do you think the grey Superbs pressing is legit? Or could it be a boot?

Social source share

Thanks for the info, Bob. You've interviewed so many people from The Business who were around in Chicago in the late '60s, that I figured some of those interviews touched on Alteen Records. I even thought I'd remembered hearing some of that in some of the interviews. i had gotten caught up on your interviews to about 3 months ago. But, it's hard to remember all that everyone covered in their responses.

Nice to hear that I've got the "rarest' pressing.

Do you remember seeing another Drake and The En-Solids and The Robert Taylor releases? Do you think the grey Superbs pressing is legit? Or could it be a boot?

I have the Robert Taylor and two different Drake and the Ensolids. Drake and the Ensolids are from Morgan Park (southwest Chicago neighborhood near Beverly). I'm not sure about Robert Taylor as apparently there were like 3 different Robert Taylors recording in Chicago and Milwaukee. Thanks.

I'm pretty sure the grey supurbs is not a boot. Thanks.

Social source share

I've only seen the blue, the gold, and the white D. I've never seen the grey nor the gold with the head silhouettes. The different colours must be from different pressing plants. I saw the gold and blue ones around the same time, back in 1970, and the silver soon after. I wonder if the gold with the heads is a later pressing?

Edited by Robbk
  • Listening now 1
Social source share

the robert taylor is the same one who recorded a couple of records on the sonic lable i think, col

I don't think it is. The Sonic artist is from Milwaukee. Billy though this guy was from Chicago. I don't think it is the Bobby Taylor on Chytowns either, who is supposedly somehow from new york.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!