Atterclffe Liberal Club Soul Night

THANK YOU TO ALL THAT TURNED OUT FOR OUR FIRST NIGHT OF-

NORTHERN SOUL & MOTOWN

at the attercliffe liberal club , attercliffe road sheff''9

and to the guest dj, mick clements,, fantastic set micky lad' enjoyed by all, and i mean all!!,,

we hope that the night went well for you all, and the music policy was right,

it was nice for us to see a rotherham following as well as sheffield,

graet to see roger barrett from the victory club back to support us

cheers lads,

we are back the first friday of the every month, 7 october next one.

and only £2 on the door, late late bar, dance floor, side road parking,

8pm till 1am or longer pending on how many's left in at that time..

***********HOPE TO SEE YOU ALL AGAIN SOMETIME**************

KEEPING IT BACK2BASICS MICK & JARVO

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Replies 7
  • Views 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Well, what a great first night with everyone enjoying themselves.......£2 to get in, small intimate atmosphere, easy to get to, fabulous hosts in Gloria and Malcolm, a bar that was kept open, I went at 12.45 and they were still serving!, its the oldest working men's club in Sheffield (estab.1882) and we met with a very warm welcome from the regulars, a few who used to follow the scene all those years ago, indeed some of them came through from the other bar and had a groove to some of the great sounds being played! Jarvo and Mick Lait simply consistently brilliant in their tunage, music was ATB and everyone danced.

Thanks to Mick and Jarvo for giving me an hour, its knackering standing behind those decks hoping people like your music and then worthwhile seeing them dancing to it! RESPECT

Met some great people from Rotherham and Wickersley along with the Victory Crew- Roger and Lindsey/Charlie - many thanks for your supportive comments as well as Simon and friends whose dancing display was awesome, that spin at the end you did well what can I say, your knowledge of the Northern scene vast and hopefully you will soon be dj'ing mate!

A lovely way to spend a Friday night, well done all! KTF

Here's my Playlist: Mick 9-10pm

"We're Gonna Make It" - Hugh Boynton - Soul-Potion

"Stick By Me Baby" - The Salvadors - Wise World

"I Can't Get Away" - Bob & Earl - Jay Boy

"Look At Me Now" - Ethics - Vent

"Blowin My Mind To Pieces" - Bob Relf - Black Magic

"Voltaire Pier" - Chocolats - Aquarius

Love You Baby" - Eddy Parker - Ashford

"Sitting In My Class" - Ronnie Mneir - Deto 2nd

"You Don't Mean It" - Towanda Barnes - A&M 2nd

"Talkin Bout My Girl - The Reflections - Golden World

"Things That A Lady Ain;t Supposed To Do" - The Four Dynamic - Grapevine Promo

"Soul Time" - Shirley Ellis - CBS

"Come On And See Me" - Tammi Terrell - Motown

"A Case Of Too Much Lovemaking" - Gloria Scott - Casablanca

"Right Track" - Billy Butler - Okeh

"Please Let Me In" - JJ Barnes - Ric Tic

"I Can't Make It Anymore" - Spyder Turner - MGM

"Cashin' In" - Voices of East Harlem" - Just Sunshine

"Just A Little Misunderstanding" - The Profiles - Bamboo

"Stoned Love" - Supremes - Tamla Motown

"Open the Door To Your Heart" - Darrell Banks - Revilot

"Walking Up A One Way Street" - Willie Tee - Atlantic

"Sorry Ain't The Word" - Paramount Four - Kent

See You All Soon x

cheers mick, i think for a friday night out listening and dancing to great soul music for £2, not having to worry about the bar closeing at 11.20 like most clubs and staying till you feel like going home aint to bad for a couple of quid.

and its so old school, it has that back then kind a feel,

and you are spot on about the landlords gloria & malcolm at there age you would think they would have kicked us out at 12,

but he just kept saying carry on bars staying open 1.30 we finished,

anyway i have a bone to pick with you !! you stole half of my play list, only joking,

i had to change about 5 records, problem is when i've had a drink or 6!! i forget what ive played when i get home,,

so heres mine i think!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

jackie pain/no puppy love velvelettes / lonely lonely girl am i denise lasalle/love peputation

billy davis / stanky get funky contours / just a little misunderstanding mel britt/she'll come running back

the fi dels / try a little harder danny white / cracked up over you tommy neal/ going to a happening

pookie hudson / this gets to me artistics / hope we have artistics/this heart of mine

fantastic puzzles / come back chris jackson / ill never gorget you girl martha reeves/no one there

showmen / our love will grow little anthony / gonna fix you good

magic night / if you and i had never met dooley silverspoon / game players

carstairs / it really hurts me girl paula parfit / love is wonderful

brenda holloway / just look what youve done moses smith / girl across the street

thanks for looking,, back next month with more old school soul classics from the attercliffe liberal club soul nights

That Jackie Pain - Mick - a serious tune 100 mph stuff, never heard it played out any where else, also liked the Contours "Stanky Get Funky" a few people liked that and Simon asked what it was so it must be good! Talk about easy going landlords they were bloody brilliant! Welcoming in something a bit different....a night of Northern.....then keeping the bar open....(how good is that hehehe), .just hope next month more people want to come in and give it a try I hope so! You and Jarvo are the "quiet men" of the soul scene in South Yorkshire, modestly preferring to let your music do the talking, always something new and trend seting in your approach.....something old, new, rare and blue, for dancers.

Anyway Mick- must apologise for second guessing what you might have played on your list LOL! I was going to play Dee Dee Sharpe but left that to Jarvo! As you have often said we three think alike, maybe thats reflected in our playlists I don't know, what I do know is I'm privileged to have met you all. Forward thinking people with a top attitude, who love soul music and live it to the full.. Never forget also the 3 ladies who tried to do the northern soul dancing last night, they really enjoyed themselves, thanks for all the food girls- (photos on Facebook!)

Here's to the next one matey!

ATB and KTF!

MASSIVE CONGRATULATIONS , EVERYTHING WAS BRILLIANT. OUR MOB DID'NT ROLL IN TILL ABOUT 8.45PM AND IT WAS IN FULL SWING. THE ROOM WAS PERFECT, DIM LIGHTS - GREAT SOUND SYSTEM - GREAT MUSIC & TO TOP IT ALL THE STEWARDS GAVE ALL THE SOULIES A WARM WELCOME. WE WERE POSSIBLY NEAR THE LAST TO LEAVE ABOUT 1.45AM & WERE ASKED IF WE WOULD LIKE ANOTHER DRINK ?? - THE MAIN THING IS ITS THE BEGINNING OF A GREAT VENUE AND I HOPE IT GOES FROM STRENGTH TO STRENGTH.

ROG,LINDSEY & BIG MICK

cheers roger for your kind comments, we felt the first night went well, and alot ot people enjoyed the night,

and thats all we ask,

we had alot of request for records and was able to play most,

i like the size of the room ,,the rotherham transport club was a big room to fill with the politics behind that venue,,

so its nice to be here,, and we would have gone on till 2am but cos' we put 8 til1 peoples taxi's started to turn up at 1am,

thats the only reason we rounded it up at 1,15,

so here's next months oct 7th, and we are looking into 2 xmas specails, see how things go first,,

thanks again brinny mick ''lait''

Late late BAR!, cheap entry, great music, nice people, top attitudes all round, people talking to each other......... wanting to hit the floor........all genres of soul covered ......and its "ok" to ask for requests.........an irresistible recipe for a great Friday night.........more please!

KOKO

Mick

Source Advert