Calendar Girl - Good Night And Thank You

chrissie

As some of you know, for the last 6 years I have kept a calendar of dates for the Beds, Herts and London and the South East. This was started to avoid clashes wherever possible and has worked well for a number of years.

However the irony is, that after putting this calendar out on Soul Source, Face Book and through my own mailing list, it seems that a certain promoter takes no notice and I feel that recently my efforts have been in vain.

The date for my annual charity event was circulated back in November 2010, and been on Soul Source since March and still a local promoter, who is on my mailing list, put a night on the same date splitting the local crowd. Clashing on purpose is not big and it's not clever and then blatently insulting my DJs on his onwn thread is just childish. I wouldn't mind but I have plugged his event on my face book group in the past for him and ensured that it always got a mention on Sean Chapman's radio show along with any other local events.

To infer that the likes of Ted Massey, John Weston, Steve Gaurnori, Woody, Steve Clarke, Bearsy, Lou, Kev Draper and a few more would be playing chin stroking, obscure mid tempo dross is an insult to some of the best DJs around. I really don't care what people say about my sets as I am not a DJ but dust off the vinyl every now and again for a bit of fun but it hurts when someone is prepared to insult the DJs that have kindly travelled half way around the country and given their service for nothing.

Well we may not of had the numbers last night but we certainly had the quality of toonage and raised around £400 TBC.

I will no longer be putting together the calendar but will keep the group page open on Face Book and will plug any events I feel are worth plugging.

So thank you and good night.

QoFxx

• Helpful 1
Social source share

As some of you know, for the last 6 years I have kept a calendar of dates for the Beds, Herts and London and the South East. This was started to avoid clashes wherever possible and has worked well for a number of years.

However the irony is, that after putting this calendar out on Soul Source, Face Book and through my own mailing list, it seems that a certain promoter takes no notice and I feel that recently my efforts have been in vain.

The date for my annual charity event was circulated back in November 2010, and been on Soul Source since March and still a local promoter, who is on my mailing list, put a night on the same date splitting the local crowd. Clashing on purpose is not big and it's not clever and then blatently insulting my DJs on his onwn thread is just childish. I wouldn't mind but I have plugged his event on my face book group in the past for him and ensured that it always got a mention on Sean Chapman's radio show along with any other local events.

To infer that the likes of Ted Massey, John Weston, Steve Gaurnori, Woody, Steve Clarke, Bearsy, Lou, Kev Draper and a few more would be playing chin stroking, obscure mid tempo dross is an insult to some of the best DJs around. I really don't care what people say about my sets as I am not a DJ but dust off the vinyl every now and again for a bit of fun but it hurts when someone is prepared to insult the DJs that have kindly travelled half way around the country and given their service for nothing.

Well we may not of had the numbers last night but we certainly had the quality of toonage and raised around £400 TBC.

I will no longer be putting together the calendar but will keep the group page open on Face Book and will plug any events I feel are worth plugging.

QoFxx

Hi Chrissie, some well respected djing names above, you keep on djing and enjoy what you are doing. As Ian Levine said in '98 article 'strange world of northern soul'.

Cheers Billy

Social source share

QoFxx

I can understand how you feel Chrissie. I was asked to DJ at your event and I opened the proceedings. I thoroughly enjoyed it, the decks were great and idiot proof. I haven't got any expensive rare records but think my set was okay. Steve G followed me with some fantastic tunes that anyone who enjoys Northern would have loved. We then had to leave to drive up to Preston where Steve was DJing at the Soul People event at the Swallow Hotel. But knowing the calibre of the DJs you'd booked I'm sure i missed plenty of my favourite tunes. The venue was a nice size and the dance floor was fine, as both Bint of Soul and I proved.

Maybe I am naive but it seemsa pity to book a soul event on the same day as a charity do in the near vicinity that's been arranged ages ago. I don't know the ins and outs of it so maybe there was a valid reason but it's a shame. Strange world of Northern Soul indeed.

Chrissie, don't let things get you down.

Social source share

I can understand how you feel Chrissie. I was asked to DJ at your event and I opened the proceedings. I thoroughly enjoyed it, the decks were great and idiot proof. I haven't got any expensive rare records but think my set was okay. Steve G followed me with some fantastic tunes that anyone who enjoys Northern would have loved. We then had to leave to drive up to Preston where Steve was DJing at the Soul People event at the Swallow Hotel. But knowing the calibre of the DJs you'd booked I'm sure i missed plenty of my favourite tunes. The venue was a nice size and the dance floor was fine, as both Bint of Soul and I proved.

Maybe I am naive but it seemsa pity to book a soul event on the same day as a charity do in the near vicinity that's been arranged ages ago. I don't know the ins and outs of it so maybe there was a valid reason but it's a shame. Strange world of Northern Soul indeed.

Chrissie, don't let things get you down.

I'm not down Geoff, in fact quite the opposite, last night was great. Somebody asked me why I start sdo early..........my answer is because it means that I get great people like you DJing for me if I didn't start till 8 how could fit in such a fantastic line up. It's an honour to have you all there every year.

Bring on next year, already in the planning and the date will be.................

Saturday 1st September

So put it in your diary :thumbup:

QoFxx

Social source share

QoFxx

Chrissie,

Before I book any dates with the Stewartby club I always check the soul source events calendar, just to make sure we don't clash with another local event. So when I listed the 3rd September in the events section, last year, I double checked to see if there was anything else listed in the area, there was not. Then, this year in March you posted your event up. So when you did this you would have seen that Stewartby was already in there, and had been in there since the previous year ! Why on earth didn't you say something at that point?

Regarding : "To infer that the likes of Ted Massey, John Weston, Steve Gaurnori, Woody, Steve Clarke, Bearsy, Lou, Kev Draper and a few more would be playing chin stroking, obscure mid tempo dross is an insult to some of the best DJs around". You've put their names to that statement, not me !

Steve Clarke did a set at Stewartby once, great records, loved it. ThenTed Massey was kind enough to come & dj for us at Stewartby on one occasion, as our headline dj, I loved his set, but sadly that was our lowest attended night since we started. In fact it was because of that night that we decided to stop asking big name dj's to appear at Stewartby & just Hammie, Geoff & myself would spin bits n bobs from our collections, just have a bit of fun kind of thing, then the numbers went back up.

It's a shame you clashed with Stewartby because we'd have liked to have come along to your event. Perhaps next year :thumbsup:

Regards,

pottsy

Social source share

The reason there was a poor attendance when i was on was because you had had another night only 2 weeks before as you said at the time it was a mistake to have it on so soon, but your post on your event was totaly over the top and full of comments designed to screw up an event for a very worthy cause, hope you are very proud of your self

Edited by Ted Massey
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Chrissie,

Before I book any dates with the Stewartby club I always check the soul source events calendar, just to make sure we don't clash with another local event. So when I listed the 3rd September in the events section, last year, I double checked to see if there was anything else listed in the area, there was not. Then, this year in March you posted your event up. So when you did this you would have seen that Stewartby was already in there, and had been in there since the previous year ! Why on earth didn't you say something at that point?

Regarding : "To infer that the likes of Ted Massey, John Weston, Steve Gaurnori, Woody, Steve Clarke, Bearsy, Lou, Kev Draper and a few more would be playing chin stroking, obscure mid tempo dross is an insult to some of the best DJs around". You've put their names to that statement, not me !

Steve Clarke did a set at Stewartby once, great records, loved it. ThenTed Massey was kind enough to come & dj for us at Stewartby on one occasion, as our headline dj, I loved his set, but sadly that was our lowest attended night since we started. In fact it was because of that night that we decided to stop asking big name dj's to appear at Stewartby & just Hammie, Geoff & myself would spin bits n bobs from our collections, just have a bit of fun kind of thing, then the numbers went back up.

It's a shame you clashed with Stewartby because we'd have liked to have come along to your event. Perhaps next year :thumbsup:

Regards,

pottsy

not quite true the bit highlighted above :thumbsup:

Chrissie put her event in the events calendar on April 27th 2011

Stewartby was put in events calendar on May 29th 2011

Chrissie started thread in events section on 6th March 2011

Stewartby thread started in events on 14th July 2011

Edited by Bearsy
Social source share

ask please dont use the events entry date guide as 100% proof

because if there were events with duplicate entries then we may delete one (normally the earlier one as take it the later is out of date) and so on

am not saying this happened here, but it does happen and do need to be aware that it may happen

thanks

mike

Social source share

ask please dont use the events entry date guide as 100% proof

because if there were events with duplicate entries then we may delete one (normally the earlier one as take it the later is out of date) and so on

am not saying this happened here, but it does happen and do need to be aware that it may happen

thanks

mike

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Chrissie,

Regards,

pottsy

Pottsy

I don't really want to say any more on the subject. You are on my mailing list and the 3rd of September was on the calendar sent out in November 2010. If you don't bother to read it, that is my point on why I am going to stop with the calendar which was set up 6 years ago to avoid things like this. I do not want to fall out with you and certainly have no problem with Geoff or Hammie.

Your digs about what sort of music we would be playing was totally out of order and an insult to some of the best DJs around some of the comments you made on your thread were an obvious dig at my event. Anyone who reads your Stewartby thread and yiour post made 2 days before my event can put 2 + 2 together and make up their own minds if this was a blatent dig or not.

Lets all just move on from this and so you know well in advance, my date for next year is 1st September.

QoFxx

Edited by chrissie
Social source share

not quite true the bit highlighted above :thumbsup:

Chrissie put her event in the events calendar on April 27th 2011

Stewartby was put in events calendar on May 29th 2011

Chrissie started thread in events section on 6th March 2011

Stewartby thread started in events on 14th July 2011

:thumbsup:

Going to close the thread and if anyone wants to make any comments please PM me as I am sure the rest of Soul Source don't really want to read about this.

QoFxx

Edited by chrissie
Social source share

Chrissie,

Regards,

pottsy

Well maybe you would like to donate £50 from your profit from Saturday night to the North Beds Motor Neurone Disease association as because it was, by your own admission the best night you have ever had your taking must of been good so thats the door taxt from 10 people.

QoFxx

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I have been asked by few people to re-open this thread, so going to but if it turns into a slanging match I will shut it straight away.

This is only partly about the clash of events last saturday but more about me not doing the calendar any more as if promoters on the copy list don't read it to avoid clashes and it does take up a lot of time and effort to keep it going, what's the point of me doing it.

I would normally be starting to circulate 2012 calendar about now so should I keep it going or not? Maybe some of the other promoters who are on the mailing list and use this can comment.

QoFxx

Edited by chrissie
Social source share

How many promoters used your calendar and what was the numbers who received this calendar or read it? Surely if the numbers are there and you are willing then sensible to keep it going. Quite clear though from this topic that in planning some come straight to Soul Source, not just nationally but in your region?

Social source share

A member of soul source staff managed to check back through the amendments made to the Stewartby event listing, that was placed in the events calendar, and It was put in there for all to see on Tue, 16 Nov 2010 21:01:22 GMT

Why did you not contact me when you saw my date. I did not know anything about your September date until June. I have just found the Calendar that I sent out in August 2010 and you will see that the date is clearly marked and I have doubled checked you are one of the 50 members of this mailing list.

Dates 2010 11.pdf

Also you will see from this that there is a section for your events which you never bothered to send me maybe if you had of done we could of talked about it at the time.

QoFxx

Edited by chrissie
Social source share

How many promoters used your calendar and what was the numbers who received this calendar or read it? Surely if the numbers are there and you are willing then sensible to keep it going. Quite clear though from this topic that in planning some come straight to Soul Source, not just nationally but in your region?

I can't really answer that but I have 50 people on the mailing list and also see the thread from Jan 2010 and Jan 2011

QoFxx

Social source share

A Celebration of Soul was set up to help the North Beds Motor Neurone Disease Association and to celebrate the life of my late ex husband who died from MND last year and was a big soul fan.

I will be taking donations up to the 16th of September fo anyone who couldn't make it and would like to donate :wink:

pay pal ckemp@mmm.com title NBMND 2011

At the end of the day, this was about raising money and awareness of this terrible fatal illness.

Have I no shame begging for money.....................No not when the clash of events effected us by probably about £100 if not more. Skank in the Park also affected us to a lesser degree but hey that couldn't be helped as the organisers are not on my mailing list and wouldn't of know of this date.

QoFxx

Edited by chrissie
Social source share

Chrissie,

I've just checked back & found your calender that you sent out with your date on for 2011. You sent this out in May 2010. As can clearly be seen you were going to put on your event on 29th August 2011, not 3rd September.

This is the calendar I printed out & worked around.

Dates 2010.pdf

Yes but this was amended and sent out in August as the August Bank Holiday was difficult to get DJs and a venue. I would of thought that August 13 months notice would be plenty. This calendar was sent out at regular intervals throughout the year. Had you bothered to give me your dates I would of spotted it.

QoFxx

Edited by chrissie
Social source share

Yes but this was amended and sent out in August as the August Bank Holiday was difficult to get DJs and a venue. I would of thought that August 13 months notice would be plenty. This calendar was sent out at regular intervals throughout the year. Had you bothered to give me your dates I would of spotted it.

QoFxx

If you hadn't made it clear in your mail out that the date had been amended why would I bother to open any further 'pdf files' with your calendar on ?

So the facts are, you sent out the calendar for 2011 with your date on as 29th August 2011. You then posted your event in the soul source calendar on 6th March 2011 with your date having been changed to the 3rd September. At that point you would have seen that Stewartby had been on that calendar since 16th November 2010. These are facts.

As extra proof to the above, please look at chriisies posts of 27th April 2010 & 26th May 2010. You even posted your calendar on soul source with your date as being 29th August.

Edited by pottsy
Social source share

If you hadn't made it clear in your mail out that the date had been amended why would I bother to open any further 'pdf files' with your calendar on ? So the facts are, you sent out the calendar for 2011 with your date on as 29th August 2011. You then posted your event in the soul source calendar on 6th March 2011 with your date having been changed to the 3rd September. At that point you would have seen that Stewartby had been on that calendar since 16th November 2010. These are facts. As extra proof to the above, please look at chriisies post of 26th May 2010 at 10.50 am. You even posted your calendar on soul source with your date as being 29th August.

Pottsy

The Calendar is a live document and updated on going thorughout the year, this is made clear in my mailings. The first one for the following year is always only a skeleton and more events are added on going. What would be the point of sending the calendar out on a regular basis if there were no updates. Most of the mailings were headed Dates 2010/11 Updates. Again, I must stress you did not send me your events.

QoFxx

Edited by chrissie
Social source share

Pottsy

The Calendar is a live document and updated on going thorughout the year, this is made clear in my mailings. The first one for the following year is always only a skeleton and more events are added on going. What would be the point of sending the calendar out on a regular basis if there were no updates. Most of the mailings were headed Dates 2010/11 Updates. Again, I must stress you did not send me your events.

QoFxx

So you are saying that because I had not contacted you to put Stewartby on your calendar, that on 6th March when you looked on the soul source calendar you chose to ignore the fact that Stewartby was on there, and had been on there for 4 months ! So you just went ahead without saying anything ? hmmmm :g: I think there's more to this than meets the eye.

Social source share

So you are saying that because I had not contacted you to put Stewartby on your calendar, that on 6th March when you looked on the soul source calendar you chose to ignore the fact that Stewartby was on there, and had been on there for 4 months ! So you just went ahead without saying anything ? hmmmm :g: I think there's more to this than meets the eye.

Pottsy

There is nothing sinister about this at all. I have worked hard this last 6 years to help avoid clashes in our area and certainly would not of clashed on purpose and have never had any issues with you or your events.

You missed my date, I didn't see yours, you didn't contact me back in March. I didn't find out about your do till June end of.

May be if you had bothered to read the calendar updates I sent out and I had taken more notice of Soul Source.

QoFxx

Social source share

Soul source is the place all promoters check when booking their dates. To have other independent event calendars running along side this is counter productive & is a recipe for a date clash, as has been proved in this case. Why on earth do we need two calendars ?

This is not a calendar for event promotion it is purely an aid for advance planning for promoters, it has worked well in the past and is also a double check as some events do not get put in the SS calendar that far in advance.

QoFxx

Social source share

This is not a calendar for event promotion it is purely an aid for advance planning for promoters, it has worked well in the past and is also a double check as some events do not get put in the SS calendar that far in advance.

QoFxx

What on earth are you talking about ? Of course it's an events calendar. You call it a "calendar", you call yourself the "Calendar Girl" :huh:

Social source share

OK, I have wracked my tiny brain and my party would never of been planned for the 29th of August as this was a Monday this year. The SS calendar puts peoples birthday dates up. The 29th is my actual Birthday. Secondly the other reason I would not of had it on the 28th the bank holiday Sunday, is because this would clash with the Filthy Soul Alldayer in London which is attended by many of my DJs every year.

I could not move it to the week before as it would of clashed with the Wellingborough alldayer which is also a charity event that I try to support. So I put it up for the 3rd September which you were made aware of in August 2010, which I suspect was before you had booked your 2011 dates, again in March when it was put in the Calendar and the thread was started and as I said, I had no idea of your date until June.

QoFxx

Edited by chrissie
Social source share

Chrissie,

I've just checked back & found your calender that you sent out with your date on for 2011. You sent this out in May 2010. As can clearly be seen you were going to put on your event on 29th August 2011, not 3rd September.

This is the calendar I printed out & worked around.

Dates 2010.pdf

If you look at the calendar you have posted you will see that this is for the 2010 date not 2011 date which was a bank holiday sunday, which in the end did not go ahead as my ex husband died last year and I really could not get my head around it.

QoFxx

Edited by chrissie
Social source share

If you look at the calendar you have posted you will see that this is for the 2010 date not 2011 date which was a bank holiday sunday, which in the end did not go ahead as my ex husband died last year and I really could not get my head around it.

QoFxx

No chrissie, it's not. If you look at your post of 26th May 2010 at 10:53am (link is above) you state in that post : "Time to start getting the dates in the calendar for 2011!!!" Under that line you have posted the calendar with the date of 29th August.

Social source share

No chrissie, it's not. If you look at your post of 26th May 2010 at 10:53am (link is above) you state in that post : "Time to start getting the dates in the calendar for 2011!!!" Under that line you have posted the calendar with the date of 29th August.

At that point the 2010 event was going ahead and that was the date for 2010.

post-2137-0-49635300-1315396999_thumb.jp

QoFxx

Edited by chrissie
Social source share

So why email out the 2011 calendar with a 2010 date on it ?

It is a rolling 12 month calendar that is updated monthly to reflect the up and coming 12 months not just a particular year., events get added on going. If you look at the one I sent out in August is titled 2010 11

QoFxx

Social source share

Well maybe you would like to donate £50 from your profit from Saturday night to the North Beds Motor Neurone Disease association as because it was, by your own admission the best night you have ever had your taking must of been good so thats the door taxt from 10 people.

QoFxx

I think this would be an excellent idea. Then, let's move onwards and upwards.....

Social source share

I think this would be an excellent idea. Then, let's move onwards and upwards.....

Ah, ok steve, lets sweep the business of this date clashing with Stewartby under the carpet & start talking about charity.

So what would be talking about if all the big name dj's at Esquires had pulled in a large crowd & Stewartby ended up with 20 or 30 people through the doors ?

Social source share

I take that as a "no" then Pottsy. Oh well no one is forcing you. Not sweeping anything under the carpet - I don't organise Calenders, or gigs, but it would have been a nice gesture for you to make a donation to such a worthwhile charitable cause, since you had such a grand night of things.

Social source share

I take that as a "no" then Pottsy. Oh well no one is forcing you. Not sweeping anything under the carpet - I don't organise Calenders, or gigs, but it would have been a nice gesture for you to make a donation to such a worthwhile charitable cause, since you had such a grand night of things.

Just because some people don't come on here & shout about what they do for charitable causes does not mean that they do nothing for charity, you don't have a clue fella. We have all suffered personal family or friend loss, or both, this usually reflects in where charitable givings are directed. So don't you dare question where I direct my charitable gestures towards, thin ice comes to mind.

Social source share

This looks like it is getting personal so might be better for all to take some time out and calm down otherwise you will be going back and forth all afternoon. To me it seems Ady picked a free date for his event and Chrissie changed her date after Ady had advertised Stewartby? If that is right I can't see why Chrissie can't just accept this and move on to her other question which is do you carry on with the calendar?

Social source share

Just because some people don't come on here & shout about what they do for charitable causes does not mean that they do nothing for charity, you don't have a clue fella. We have all suffered personal family or friend loss, or both, this usually reflects in where charitable givings are directed. So don't you dare question where I direct my charitable gestures towards, thin ice comes to mind.

Slight over reaction there Adrian -me thinks the Lady doth protest too much. I said fine if you don't want to make a donation, it really isn't a problem.

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

This looks like it is getting personal so might be better for all to take some time out and calm down otherwise you will be going back and forth all afternoon. To me it seems Ady picked a free date for his event and Chrissie changed her date after Ady had advertised Stewartby? If that is right I can't see why Chrissie can't just accept this and move on to her other question which is do you carry on with the calendar?

I did not change my date, The date pottsy refers to is for 2010. The 2011 date was set back in August last year and published as such.

If you look at the calendar Pottsy attached this clearly says 29 August 2010 and the said file is names as "Dates 2010". The calendar I attached is named "Dates 2010 11" and clearly says Sept 3rd 2011.

QoFxx

Edited by chrissie
Social source share

You didn't have a venue for your event on the date you say you put in your calendar? :huh:

As I said I had a number of options but the date was always fixed. I had run 2 of these events before in 2008 and 2009 and wanted to get the date booked to coincide with my birthday and Tony's birthday so that is why I booked the date before I decided on which venue I was going to use.

QoFxx

Edited by chrissie
Social source share

Wise words Chalky.

Promoters, please use one national calendar and have a bit of thought for other promoters and, more importantly, for us paying punters.

I looked at a "southeast calendar" once, I think it included Rugby, Devon, Prestatyn and Cleethorpes, discontinued venues and incorrect and missing dates.

Charity fund raisers - good luck, it can be hard work raising funds as many of us know. Please don't try to morally blackmail others, it's a big turn off.

Best wishes to you all.

Social source share