The General State Of Our Beloved Soul Scene

mrs soul

As a life server for my sins, and as a punter, promoter, collector, and hopefully DJ, the scene is an ever changing one, sometimes for the good , but most times not would I would like. for the most part. what I really cant get my head round, and it really displeases me , why some people feel the need , to put down ,or go out of there way to have ago, or make a nasty dig, on forums, about other people, I know its all part of a healthy debate, however, sometimes it gets very personal, I thought we where all in this to-gether? for the greater good. to hear fantastic music, to send that shiver up your back ect, to be enlightened, to go out and just have a bloody good time,As someone said to me a long time ago, the scene is very tribal, which is true, of course I understand that we all have our favourite venues, theirs no shame in that, I for one, have mine. and make no bones about it, BUT..its getting worse IMO.The scene is over saturated, week by week even more nites, niters, DJ,s, at the end of the day, each and all have every right to DJ or promote, and the days when we was all youngsters.adorning our big name Dj s have long gone. Good thing or bad thing? we are getting older, of course, dying, illness , all these things impact on us all. There is a younger generation, waiting to fill the shoes of us old school soulies,and I think the scene will be very different in 10 or twenty years time, it has to evolve, for all things do.Yes I know all about the you pat my back I will pat yours, that will never change, Tit for tat DJing always goes on and it allways will.And I know some people will never get on! But I still ask the question why? Beasys made a comment about my passion and that's why I have decided to post up this thread, and for no other reason.......

hi lou interesting posting, i like my oldies, i like the rare across the board, i must be lucky i hav never been to a disappointing nighter or weekenders, i do tend to pick and choose now, and where ever i go i make the best of it, i hope i have a few more days in me lol keep on keeping on cheers billy

Social source share

well im enjoying all the allniters i visit,,,not had a bad one in over two years

each one is different but the niter people are still the best in the world

if i have one criticism is the hammered to death big oldies,,,time to give a few a rest and the leading djs to lead from the front and find some more biggies to unleash

wherever you go just try and enjoy it

i do and im loving it!

Social source share

yes Billy, so do I, I do pick and choose where I go, I will always try to support my friends , but if it turns out to be dreadful then actually I wont, and please dont ever ask me what I think as someone who is not afraid in coming forwards I will say the truth, much to woodys embarrassment :ohmy: but of late or is it just me, the sniping is getting out of hand and going way too far!!!! and its this which is spoiling it for a lot of people.you can lead a horse to water, but you cant make em drink it up.I have some very dear friends on this scene, and will always go where I feel welcome thats as much a part of it as the music, the whole feel of it.the word that is lacking in everything which has already been mentioned is RESPECT..don't seem much of it about these days.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Promoters will have to start showing some balls, introduce a few Dj's who can advance things,

I've been looking at playlists for several venues, boring boring boring....many good rare records but simply boring play lists, you hear them all the time. A Dj who spends a fortune will always get the bookings yet a DJ who plays good imaginative sets (I don't mean upfront either, oldies included in this) without resorting to the cheque book is always over looked.

I fear though it is too late and that we are past the tipping point.

Can only comment personally on the Central band of the country..but for me this is a spot on comment ... :hatsoff2:

Same old ..same old... resident DJ's with the same dear old pals circle guest lists sharing the door tax...very few imaginative guest spots to refresh the nights....hence boring boring lack of interest lack of attendance nights..... Long standing DJ circle friendships are nice for the DJ's... but what about the paying customers...

Seems everyone's running around in circles chasing their own tails trying to make sense of all the complexities and reasons ...when its quite obvious...

Think back to origins of Northern Soul and its diversity of Venues & creative DJ's. The anticipation and excitement of attending any venues whether known or new was electric because you didn't know what to expect..sure it was nice to have 1 familiar DJ name but most nights were spent asking who's playing now and whats the name of this etc etc..

Not so now.. I have to echo earlier posts and say that many of venues today are sadly disappointing.

Social source share

It seems lots of the posters share the same opinions by and large (and yes we recognise those amongst us who loved and lived through the fantastic post stafford, pre revivalist years, where the spirit of the blitz shone through, and sixty through the doors for a soul nite was worth writing multiple paragraphs about) but although my favourite times on the scene in the past have been at either one room venues, or one main playing newies and one smaller room playing quality oldies, these days I think the variety of music is just too broad to be handled in one room. Perhaps this might explain better what I'm trying to say. Having spent time in the main room and thoroughly enjoyed it, I had a fabulous time when I popped into the R'n'B room at the last Radcliffe. Lots of the tunes I heard, maybe a third of them, were not what I'd call R'n'B. To me they were old Stafford tracks or old Catacombs tunes etc, but this ISN'T a criticism, because I understand that these magnificent tunes which sat beautifully alongside the out and out R'n'B probably wouldn't get aired anywhere else these days, and the chances of main room play at a big Niter is very unlikely for most tracks of this ilk. To me this is the best arguement in favour of multi room Niters like Radcliffe. I also stuck my nose in to the Modern room next door when Neil Rushton was banging away with pounding recent soul, and the happy faces dancing away in there summed it all up. Dancing the nite away with a smile on yer face, now who said that?

Personally I like almost all the branches under the soul scene tree ( with funk being the exception) but cannot imagine how you can make a banging Y2K set work alongside early soul/popcorn/r'n'b, so I do think that multi roomers are perhaps what we need now for our bigger Niters. There is an "unless" at this point - unless it's advertised as a limited amount of styles, i.e. Oldies only, Modern & Crossover only, etc. or a "special" one room venue, like the 100 Club. Perhaps a part of the problem is when venues don't advertise accurately exactly what's on offer musically?

Like a lot of folk it seems, I too would rather drive miles past "Commercial Soul and Motown" nites to go to venues playing more interesting music. I'd rather go out less often, travel further (and hence pay more money out) to hear good music, good dj's, or have a grand social with friends made over the decades. This weekend, health and wealth permitting (and not counting whatever soul nites I may get to) I shall be Niter-ing at Rugby. Partly for the social side in the record bar, but mostly to listen to Rob Gray, who is a perfect example of the type of unsung DJ who can get it right imho and deserves more main room time. Also I know during the nite® I shall spend time in the Freestyle room in the hope that my mind will be expanded by DJ's (or Collectors) who may bring some new, or forgotten, gems, to give that 'tingle' we all crave. That feeling we had back when we were kids when we heard, say Lenis Guess or Willie Hutch's Love Runs Out, for the first time. That feeling that had us jumping trains, begging lifts, and hitching, hundreds of miles each weekend, spending every penny you could earn to get home stinking of sweat when you'd danced while the 'normal folk' slept their nights away.

Doom and gloom ? Are we saying it in the hope that some who seem intent on ruining our scene will effoff ? The best times for me were when it was more underground, when there was maybe 2-400 regulars you'd see at most every Niter and decent soul nite, topped up with great folk who mostly stayed regional but loved the real scene just as much. But lets not forget it was also fabulous when there were tens of thousands in the 70's, and venues were packed, and northern, albeit watered down northern, was played everywhere from the local Mecca Ballroom and Night Clubs, to Miss Selfridges and Chelsea Girl.

I'll welcome anybody into the tribe - if they're for real. But perhaps you'd better get somebody else to handle the situations when they arise, because I'm too old and grumpy now to explain to somebody why James Carr is Northern, and has been ever since the Wheel. Personally I'd much rather send folk out to the door where they paid in, with a note saying " please give this person their money back and tell them not to go to any northern doo's ever again, because they're making themselves unhappy and worse still they're making me and all the other genuine soulies unhappy". Useless requests seem the norm at silly soul nites (not saying this previously mentioned J Carr incident was at a silly soul nite, dunno where that happened? just speaking from personal experience) They generally disrupt the flow and almost always start with something like " Oi mate, play Christine Cooper" when that very record had been played less than 20 minutes earlier, or the classic, and I swear this happened to me, while it was on the decks and coming out of the speakers !!!

I'm not anti Oldies, far from it, but I'm repeating what was said earlier, I want to hear a mixture of well known tracks along with 'less often played' in fairly equal measures when I'm at such an event ( and good oldies DJ's seem to be able to pull this off) Personally I don't consider commercial events or those that use various arists CD's, to be part of this scene, as I understand the definition. The scene to me is DJ's playing warm and fuzzy vinyl through big bass heavy systems, and they can stick crystal clear clarity where the sun don't shine. Let's remember what it was that started this thing, the pursuit of vital, exciting, recently discovered alongside previously tried but never quite made it's, and classics from previous clubs and years dropped in for good measure. Yes the flow of exclusives has slowed, but there's maybe twenty thousand tracks that folk could hear, and loads of album only things, and tons of exciting early soul/R'n'B/Popcorn yet to have it's day, so why be boring? Boredom is the only thing that will ever kill my love of this scene....that and Funk :-)

" It's just too easy today " - this is my favourite quoted answer to why the scene isn't as it once was, and perhaps this is the truth (out there) that Fox Mulder spent his time chasing

Finally, without getting political with a large P, everybody's saying there's financial hardship for most folks right now, and it's gonna last and last. Yes, Okay, I'm not an idiot, I see it. Record prices falling, not yet back at the all time low 80's levels but certainly heading in that direction, but like Lou said, I shall still keep collecting until they put me in my box, and if the best we can manage is to go 'round each others houses once a fortnight, with a once a year get together in the old folks home at the seaside, then so be it, "Book me a ticket. Can I pay by Paypal ? " :-)

Now Get Out & Enjoy Yourself, It's Later Than You Think !!!!!

• Helpful 2
Social source share

The scene, unfortunately, has been fractured for a very long time now.

If a punter went to say, a rock night, or a folk night, or whatever happened to be his fancy, he/she would be pretty sure of hearing stuff they like, because most music genres are pretty specific.

But it a soul punter goes to a "Northern" venue, will he have any idea what is gonna be played?

A while back, a girl of perhaps 18 or 19 came up to the Dj booth and said to me "I thought you were gonna play some Northern Soul tonight?". The record that I was playing as she said that was "Losing Game" by James Carr. She'd never heard of it.

The term "northern" now tries to cover SO much different stuff, that folks listen to for many different reasons.

This is not helped by many so called DJs who are, in fact, simply record collectors. They don't play stuff cause it's good to dance to. They play it to impress fellow "collectors".

If there is one phrase which has been killing this music since it was first said, it is "It's really rare, so it MUST be good!"

A friend of mine, who DJs at a very well respected club, was telling me about the guy he had invited to the next session. "His collection is amazing", he enthused..."all his stuff is on Demo!"

My mate was a little nonplussed when I replied "So they'll be better to dance to, will they?"

If you wanna hear rare stuff, just cause it's rare - that's cool.

If you wanna hear modern stuff, just cause it's new - that's cool.

If you wanna hear "underplayed", just cause it never got played before - that's cool.

And if you wanna dance your head off to great dancers - that's cool.

But as long as we class it all under the same genre, folks are gonna continue to be confused. And the apathy and argument will continue until it kills the scene stone dead. :huh:

James Carr a losing game is a great record for most soulies (if a little on the blues side of Northern) but if she is only 19 hardly a sin she didnt know it or think it was Northern Soul, its not such an "immediate" sound to new ears, but wasnt it great a 19 year old was up asking you?

Ive never heard a dj say "It's really rare, so it MUST be good!",

Tho i get your drift where guys play rare for the sake of it

I thought the great thing about NS is its hard to define, now people want to pigeon hole everything.

My little gripe is with comments on SS where people reading to much into the words used to define an event, its becoming a strap line creators nightmare :)

Use NORTHERN SOUL and this infers it oldies night

RARE / UNDERPLAYED see up your arse/ chinstrokers convention (its rare coz its shite)

UPTEMPO this means songs with angst and heartfelt soul arnt needed here

ACROSS THE BOARD, its gonna be Angie Stone, Drizabone, Voices of E Harlem plus hammered oldies all the way

SOUL NIGHT lightweights who meet up and gratuitously dj for each other usually at the expense of an Nighter

Each venue/dj has their take on NS, surely its alot easier to gauge which one suits ya in these times without having to pigeon hole everything.

Agree with Carm's post :wave:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Simple Solution - It seems to me reading the thread that its those that have been doing it for years and prefer their soul underplayed and rare that are unhappy about the state of affairs, Only the promoters of those types of events can solve this one

Why don't all the Rare Soul/Underplayed nighter promoters get together and agree to take turns to host a ONE AND ONLY rare soul allnighter once a month ,You will then achieve a larger gathering that is in perfect harmony ?

The downside means you will lose your regular monthly slice of the action though as you will be having to share and take it in turns to host the event.

I would like to see those who are so passionate about preserving "The Rare Soul Scene" put their names to such a policy.

You see you are playing a "Losing Game" with the mass at soul nights if you think they are going to follow your path so you have to clean up/organise yourselves better to achieve what you want.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

It seems lots of the posters share the same opinions by and large (and yes we recognise those amongst us who loved and lived through the fantastic post stafford, pre revivalist years, where the spirit of the blitz shone through, and sixty through the doors for a soul nite was worth writing multiple paragraphs about) but although my favourite times on the scene in the past have been at either one room venues, or one main playing newies and one smaller room playing quality oldies, these days I think the variety of music is just too broad to be handled in one room. Perhaps this might explain better what I'm trying to say. Having spent time in the main room and thoroughly enjoyed it, I had a fabulous time when I popped into the R'n'B room at the last Radcliffe. Lots of the tunes I heard, maybe a third of them, were not what I'd call R'n'B. To me they were old Stafford tracks or old Catacombs tunes etc, but this ISN'T a criticism, because I understand that these magnificent tunes which sat beautifully alongside the out and out R'n'B probably wouldn't get aired anywhere else these days, and the chances of main room play at a big Niter is very unlikely for most tracks of this ilk. To me this is the best arguement in favour of multi room Niters like Radcliffe. I also stuck my nose in to the Modern room next door when Neil Rushton was banging away with pounding recent soul, and the happy faces dancing away in there summed it all up. Dancing the nite away with a smile on yer face, now who said that?

Personally I like almost all the branches under the soul scene tree ( with funk being the exception) but cannot imagine how you can make a banging Y2K set work alongside early soul/popcorn/r'n'b, so I do think that multi roomers are perhaps what we need now for our bigger Niters. There is an "unless" at this point - unless it's advertised as a limited amount of styles, i.e. Oldies only, Modern & Crossover only, etc. or a "special" one room venue, like the 100 Club. Perhaps a part of the problem is when venues don't advertise accurately exactly what's on offer musically?

Like a lot of folk it seems, I too would rather drive miles past "Commercial Soul and Motown" nites to go to venues playing more interesting music. I'd rather go out less often, travel further (and hence pay more money out) to hear good music, good dj's, or have a grand social with friends made over the decades. This weekend, health and wealth permitting (and not counting whatever soul nites I may get to) I shall be Niter-ing at Rugby. Partly for the social side in the record bar, but mostly to listen to Rob Gray, who is a perfect example of the type of unsung DJ who can get it right imho and deserves more main room time. Also I know during the nite® I shall spend time in the Freestyle room in the hope that my mind will be expanded by DJ's (or Collectors) who may bring some new, or forgotten, gems, to give that 'tingle' we all crave. That feeling we had back when we were kids when we heard, say Lenis Guess or Willie Hutch's Love Runs Out, for the first time. That feeling that had us jumping trains, begging lifts, and hitching, hundreds of miles each weekend, spending every penny you could earn to get home stinking of sweat when you'd danced while the 'normal folk' slept their nights away.

Doom and gloom ? Are we saying it in the hope that some who seem intent on ruining our scene will effoff ? The best times for me were when it was more underground, when there was maybe 2-400 regulars you'd see at most every Niter and decent soul nite, topped up with great folk who mostly stayed regional but loved the real scene just as much. But lets not forget it was also fabulous when there were tens of thousands in the 70's, and venues were packed, and northern, albeit watered down northern, was played everywhere from the local Mecca Ballroom and Night Clubs, to Miss Selfridges and Chelsea Girl.

I'll welcome anybody into the tribe - if they're for real. But perhaps you'd better get somebody else to handle the situations when they arise, because I'm too old and grumpy now to explain to somebody why James Carr is Northern, and has been ever since the Wheel. Personally I'd much rather send folk out to the door where they paid in, with a note saying " please give this person their money back and tell them not to go to any northern doo's ever again, because they're making themselves unhappy and worse still they're making me and all the other genuine soulies unhappy". Useless requests seem the norm at silly soul nites (not saying this previously mentioned J Carr incident was at a silly soul nite, dunno where that happened? just speaking from personal experience) They generally disrupt the flow and almost always start with something like " Oi mate, play Christine Cooper" when that very record had been played less than 20 minutes earlier, or the classic, and I swear this happened to me, while it was on the decks and coming out of the speakers !!!

I'm not anti Oldies, far from it, but I'm repeating what was said earlier, I want to hear a mixture of well known tracks along with 'less often played' in fairly equal measures when I'm at such an event ( and good oldies DJ's seem to be able to pull this off) Personally I don't consider commercial events or those that use various arists CD's, to be part of this scene, as I understand the definition. The scene to me is DJ's playing warm and fuzzy vinyl through big bass heavy systems, and they can stick crystal clear clarity where the sun don't shine. Let's remember what it was that started this thing, the pursuit of vital, exciting, recently discovered alongside previously tried but never quite made it's, and classics from previous clubs and years dropped in for good measure. Yes the flow of exclusives has slowed, but there's maybe twenty thousand tracks that folk could hear, and loads of album only things, and tons of exciting early soul/R'n'B/Popcorn yet to have it's day, so why be boring? Boredom is the only thing that will ever kill my love of this scene....that and Funk :-)

" It's just too easy today " - this is my favourite quoted answer to why the scene isn't as it once was, and perhaps this is the truth (out there) that Fox Mulder spent his time chasing

Finally, without getting political with a large P, everybody's saying there's financial hardship for most folks right now, and it's gonna last and last. Yes, Okay, I'm not an idiot, I see it. Record prices falling, not yet back at the all time low 80's levels but certainly heading in that direction, but like Lou said, I shall still keep collecting until they put me in my box, and if the best we can manage is to go 'round each others houses once a fortnight, with a once a year get together in the old folks home at the seaside, then so be it, "Book me a ticket. Can I pay by Paypal ? " :-)

I still dont get you ?

Could you expand ?

LOL

Edited by mosschops
Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Weekenders have given guys like Carms and I who dont particularly enjoy hitting that 4am wall a chance to dance til dawn and sleep it off a few hundred yards away.

Mikey I am a laaaaaady lol

Can also add I love the idea of Sunday art centres playing rare soul , cross over , blues , funk , whatever ...and they are on the way..the future ... doesn't York have one now at the riverside? and theres the horse and groom at Donny which I haven't had a chance to visit yet :( ...

There is much to be happy about

Why don't all of you nighter people have an email group and support each other ? I think your expectations that you are going to appeal to the mass is a bit unrealistic so what you need to do is consolidate what you have , that should be easy cause they are all on here...where the mass handbag /baggy people arn't ?

Off course I am an exceptional hand bagger lol cause I think i know my rare meat ... :wink:

I know you is a lady Carms. I got that impression when we first met at Soul In The City (If you are the same Carms). I was using guys in the non sexist generic way :thumbsup:

Social source share

Billy F,

I was stood outside Burnley 3 or so years back at 3.30am in January, in the cold and damp,having a fag, wondering what I was doing really, when I spied coming up the street these two old blokes. I thought to myself WTF are these two doing wandering the streets at this time. If I weren't here I certainly wouldn't be trudging around Burnley.

They came into the allnighter.

Beginning of mid-life crisis. Do I look like that? I must do. Too old for this sh*t rapidly followed and haven't been out since except for the one occasion.

ROD

I felt exactly the same the last time I went out (2 years ago), I had a moment of clarity when I looked round and saw a load of 50/60 plussers (with very few exceptions) shuffling around (with very few exceptions) and thought "what am I doing here?"

Then I realised I was doing the same thing! :lol:

It would be worse in a room full of youngsters, I'd look even dafter. I hope there is (or will be) an underground youth scene somewhere involving the music but I also hope the mainstream Northern Soul scene doesn't find out about it.

I still enjoy the music and occasionally buy records but I'm not venturing out again.

Social source share

Have to say I have never been one for doom and gloom. I enjoy myself every time I go out, some places more than others of course, but so what? If somewhere doesn't do it for you - just don't go again. Simple.

Life's too short to do something you don't enjoy and it's certainly too short to spend all your time moaning about it.

It's all good if you want it to be :thumbup:

Stop being so Happy Joan! lol

The fact we are all analising it is not a good sign in its self. Years ago we were all just doing it! We had no desire to get on the computer and tell everyone what an awful night we had just had etc, we just looked forward to the next night out....Well back then it would have been the desire to seperatelly ring 500 people and tell them 'what an awful night we had just had etc' as there were no computer forums! lol

Len.

Social source share

I felt exactly the same the last time I went out (2 years ago), I had a moment of clarity when I looked round and saw a load of 50/60 plussers (with very few exceptions) shuffling around (with very few exceptions) and thought "what am I doing here?"

It would be worse in a room full of youngsters, I'd look even dafter. I hope there is (or will be) an underground youth scene somewhere involving the music but I also hope the mainstream Northern Soul scene doesn't find out about it.

I still enjoy the music and occasionally buy records but I'm not venturing out again.

Looking through the photo galleries here creates the same sense of - ugh, they're all old! It's like being a teenager and accidentally wandering into an OAP's party.

Worse, remember the elderly Teddy Boys who, years after their 50s heyday, continued to wear drape jackets and crepe shoes, and had greased back hair, which would typically be grey? People see the same thing now, except it isn't the ageing Teddy Boys, it's the Northern Soulers!

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Nothing wrong with you 'Oldies' coming out to play still. Chr*st I can have better laughs with folk like Bob Cornack (Who's actually 83 years old) than some folk I know in there 30's!

Your as young as you make yourself - Now put that 'One huge heated slipper' back under the bed, get ya dancing shoes on and come on back! (To Me Baby...etc)

All the best,

Len.

Edited by LEN
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

going out on occasion and having a crac,bit of a dance and a good old chinwag with folk you,ve known for years whats wrong with that ffs. Just keep a balance in ya life......failing that get yaself an alottment......jesus!!! hate when people start using their age as a reason to stop living........rest of their lives sat in front of the telly just like our parents did before us. this is all just a euphamism for " I CAN,T BE BOTHERED ".......not a go at you personally fella just this excuse for living that gets trolled out all the best tezza

Social source share

Looking through the photo galleries here creates the same sense of - ugh, they're all old! It's like being a teenager and accidentally wandering into an OAP's party.

Worse, remember the elderly Teddy Boys who, years after their 50s heyday, continued to wear drape jackets and crepe shoes, and had greased back hair, which would typically be grey? People see the same thing now, except it isn't the ageing Teddy Boys, it's the Northern Soulers!

What do you mean,remember the Teddy Boys?.Still alive and well in Mansfield,and harder than most.If it wasn't for them discovering Elvis and his "black" music,we'd have never have heard all this fine music.Hats off to Teddy Boys.

Getting old?.Maybe my piss stained sta-pres give me away.

Social source share

going out on occasion and having a crac,bit of a dance and a good old chinwag with folk you,ve known for years whats wrong with that ffs. Just keep a balance in ya life......failing that get yaself an alottment......jesus!!! hate when people start using their age as a reason to stop living........rest of their lives sat in front of the telly just like our parents did before us. this is all just a euphamism for " I CAN,T BE BOTHERED ".......not a go at you personally fella just this excuse for living that gets trolled out all the best tezza

Yes,but Red or Black as just started with Ant and Dec.Worth the license fee alone.

Social source share

If you enjoy stopping in and getting old before your time then thats your perogative, after all its a free world, BUT FFS if you can and want to, get out and enjoy yourself while you still can - we'll all be dead soon enough.

Back on topic, agree with many of the points raised and was vocal about certain issues in the past. However you're pissing in the wind if you think things can be changed, the many headed monster that is the northern scene has evolved into its present state and there's no going back or altering anything dramatically. There's just too many different people all with their own interpretations of things for any sort of unity, its as simple as that.

Just pick the bits you like and enjoy it and ignore the rest (admitedly thats not easy sometimes) thats all you can do

Social source share

Guest Lobster Madras

Have to say I have never been one for doom and gloom. I enjoy myself every time I go out, some places more than others of course, but so what? If somewhere doesn't do it for you - just don't go again. Simple.

Life's too short to do something you don't enjoy and it's certainly too short to spend all your time moaning about it.

It's all good if you want it to be :thumbup:

I think some of this is more about mid-life crises than the state of the scene; yes we are all getting old, still partying after 30 odd years... problem ? Don't see one myself !

Too much critique and analysis on the scene IMO, just enjoy the music , dance and have a good time .. dead right Joan..

I get to a couple of events a year if that, I live in the middle of the countryside in mainland europe; even a little soul night with well known oldies is fun for me.. take a break if you get bored with it all.... :hatsoff2:

Edited by Lobster Madras
Social source share

Its not a case of stopping living, I still do that, I'm out racng my single hander dinghy every weekend and that is bloody hard work, but it gives me enjoyment, a buzz, an adrenalin rush when its windy, keeps me fit (ish) and fuels my competitive streak. I go out regularly just not NS.

I'm afraid the Northern Soul scene, or that bit that I ventured into, didn't give me any of that and started to seem faintly ridiculous, partularly people dressing up. My wife had been telling me that for years though!

As I said, the music is great and still gives me a buzz, I also still keep some records and buy the odd one now and again. I'd probably go out to an "old friends" night under duress but nothing else. Venturing out into what seems to be a real hotch potch of a scene where the chances of a decent night are slim (despite what it says in lookbacks :D ) isn't for me and my own experiences bore that out. Its never been the b-all and end-all for me though, but the analogy of Teddy Boys pretty much fits it IMHO.

Each to their own. :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest BAKUNIN

I am a bit :lol: .....f*ck em all, I'll be searching out proper Nighters & dancing to imaginative soul music for a long time yet, passsing scores of wannabe, neverwillbe Pussy soul nights on the way up the M6 or where ever, my nearest nighter is 2 hours away, most a min of 4........& while we're at it, what the feck is a Mini Nighter !!!......its either a Nighter or not, before 6am finish NOT,NOT,NOT....stop kiddin' ya selves.

Russ

Social source share

Guest BAKUNIN

I am with you all the way Russ

.Long time no see mate!

As far as this particular thread is concerned I am for continuing as long as I am able or as long as the "soul" is within me but

I personally think that small room intimate cellar type venues are the way to go (in fact to return to the Colony Club in Newbury which I had unfortunately to sell) maybe even exclusivefying by making membership only.

We used to have such a club in Newbury called Bernets which would be perfect now and then there was of course Newbury Soul Club based at the Plaza which entertained a whole host of American acts from the nearby American Air Base but I am getting nostalgic again.

Those type of venues engender soul camaraderie and create atmosphere.

Smaller venues playing original and rare UNDERPLAYED (the key word I think) 60s.. and 70s(if you must!) till say 5pm in the morning are the only way to please those of us approaching our 60s and who wish to rekindle relive and reclaim those happy days

I would be happy with that

Take care bud.

ROB

Social source share

I am with you all the way Russ

.Long time no see mate!

As far as this particular thread is concerned I am for continuing as long as I am able or as long as the "soul" is within me but

I personally think that small room intimate cellar type venues are the way to go (in fact to return to the Colony Club in Newbury which I had unfortunately to sell) maybe even exclusivefying by making membership only.

We used to have such a club in Newbury called Bernets which would be perfect now and then there was of course Newbury Soul Club based at the Plaza which entertained a whole host of American acts from the nearby American Air Base but I am getting nostalgic again.

Those type of venues engender soul camaraderie and create atmosphere.

Smaller venues playing original and rare UNDERPLAYED (the key word I think) 60s.. and 70s(if you must!) till say 5pm in the morning are the only way to please those of us approaching our 60s and who wish to rekindle relive and reclaim those happy days

I would be happy with that

Take care bud.

ROB

went to one on Withington, 'get to steppin' the other week, we were the only soul heads in there apart from the dj's, a very open mionded music policy that included funbk and 60's garage and it twas awsome.

Social source share

yes in some areas there are too many nights...you would expect that those promoters who are the most passionate would be the better nights and even if numbers where down due to a shit promoter down the road,mr passionate isnt in it for the money so as long as he breaks even will be around after mr shit has given up..as hes not so passionate and also isnt makin money witha split crowd...

yes there are many different 'styles of soul' (good name for a night,maybe i'll start a new one :wink: ) how can this be bad,whether a 3 room event or all in one just find what you like best, attend and enjoy...oldies,newies,rnb,funky edged...no ones right or wrong

yes a lot of soulies will not be around in 5/10 years through difficulties dancin ona polished floor with with a zimmer..but maybe more twenties and teens who will be older,outgrown pop shite and not so bothered about dancin with us in our30s/ 40s who will then be in our40/ 50s will...who knows

djs...maybe there are too many but as im one cant blame anyone for doing it...and some of the older ones will also give up in years to come...and as long as we keep the ovo policy i shouldnt have thought there would be as many starting...same old sets?...yes but as the the scene is split there are plenty who love to know everytune they are gonna get ...sadly...but again most of these are reliving their teens back in the days of wigan so wont be around for ever whereas those youngsters getting into it now are not so blinkered cos they dont know whats a classic and what isnt...and are getting into all sttyles not just 'northern'

there are plenty of djs who play a mixed set,love what they are doin, but never get enough slots :thumbsup:

bad attitudes ?..probably due to the internet,people wouldnt be so rude face to face

anyway i love the soul scene...NEARLY always enjoy myself and support loads of nights and i know loads more people like me so im not worried about' the end is nigh'

some of us on forums take it all a little too serious and think without us it couldnt possibly carry on...others like me are havin a slow day at work :)

see you out on the floor somewhere..i'll be the one enjoying myself

dean

Social source share

oh nad none of this is unique to the soul scene either....

years ago i used to dj with a sound system playing dancehall reggae (long before sean paul ,shabba etc were household names) in norwich,...yes thats right,norwich....loads of people didnt wanna know,kept askin for something they knew..israelites,one in ten or bob marley

about 6 years ago i was asked to be resident at a bristol indie night...tried to play great new bands,real indie...nobody danced..put pulp blur or oasis on the place went mental...

back in the rave days of the 90s you could go to a techno or drum and bass night in 3 or 4 different clubs every thurs/fri and saturday in bristol...got to a point where there was too many...scene didnt die,its still there every weekend if you want it just fewer nights

dean

Social source share

Dont bother to advertise your soul night/nighter, just send out personal "invites" to friends and punters who share your taste and ideas as you, they in turn can invite their friends etc etc, no need for flyers etc!!. Ask all who attend not to do any "reviews" after the event to avoid any negative feed back from arm chair soulies who love to slate even tho they didnt attend!,

Simple! :thumbsup:

Social source share

Dont bother to advertise your soul night/nighter, just send out personal "invites" to friends and punters who share your taste and ideas as you, they in turn can invite their friends etc etc, no need for flyers etc!!. Ask all who attend not to do any "reviews" after the event to avoid any negative feed back from arm chair soulies who love to slate even tho they didnt attend!,

Simple! :thumbsup:

made me chuckle

Social source share

Its been said many times, but to many dj's, playing out of the same box for the last 10 years has killed it for me, theres not a lot making the hairs on the back of my neck stick up much these days, to many promoters employing dj's with the same records as the dj before ( down south anyway ) to many people playing inferior bootlegs also doesnt help, how many people keep saying they wanna hear something different, but when it comes to it, they dont turn up at the do's that offer this.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

One of the problems with NS today is that compared to contemporary dance scenes the dancing bit of it is simply not very good.

Whereas in the early days we could hold our own with virtually anybody we are deluding ourselves if we believe this is true today.

And I'm talking across the age spectrum here not just about the old fart originals with pace makers and hip replacements.

Social source share

If somewhere doesn't do it for you - just don't go again. Simple.

Thats why venues are not getting the numbers in.

but what about if the event you go to does do it for you and when you arrive you realise that not that many peeps are there cos of another 5 events on in the same area on the same night splitting the same crowd, everyone has a choice but cant the choice be an easier one and everyone just work together for good of their event and the paying punter and the area in general. no cos there are too many events and too many djs desperate to dj and far too many djs that are basically fooking boring but think they are the bolox, they dance to thier own tunes behind the decks and if another dj was to play the exact same tune they wouldnt move except to mutter to anyone that will listen that they have a copy of that, ffs sake djs are meant to be entertaining so fooking entertain and smile sometimes and unfold your arms and please dont talk too much on the mic its about the music not you,

i really wish at times that their was only 1 event on a weeknd in the whoile country and it was a 1 room event that played reall accross the board music and not just battered oldies from every decade :yes:

Social source share

Its been said many times, but to many dj's, playing out of the same box for the last 10 years has killed it for me, theres not a lot making the hairs on the back of my neck stick up much these days, to many promoters employing dj's with the same records as the dj before ( down south anyway ) to many people playing inferior bootlegs also doesnt help, how many people keep saying they wanna hear something different, but when it comes to it, they dont turn up at the do's that offer this.

its called, saying the right thing after they have just slated the last dj for not playing what they want to hear :rolleyes: 3 years ive been down southampton now and tbh if i never go to another soul do down this way again i would be missing much :cheese1:

Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

i really wish at times that their was only 1 event on a weeknd in the whoile country and it was a 1 room event that played reall accross the board music and not just battered oldies from every decade :yes:

at least then everyone could moan about the same thing instead of the constant backbiting as it is now, there would be a sense of unity, just one promoter for all to hate and ridicule

Social source share

Buck stops with the DJ (imo), grow some balls like the dj's at Stafford, 100club, Va Va Voom, Ghetto Soul.Life line etc etc used to/still do!, if punters dont like what you play then **** em!, thats why i propose "invite" only events, that way you will have an idea of who you are targeting?, also some newer stuff takes a bit of time to settle in, Butch works with records over period of time so be patient and keep plugging it if you believe its good enough :hatsoff2:

Social source share

but what about if the event you go to does do it for you and when you arrive you realise that not that many peeps are there cos of another 5 events on in the same area on the same night splitting the same crowd, everyone has a choice but cant the choice be an easier one and everyone just work together for good of their event and the paying punter and the area in general. no cos there are too many events and too many djs desperate to dj and far too many djs that are basically fooking boring but think they are the bolox, they dance to thier own tunes behind the decks and if another dj was to play the exact same tune they wouldnt move except to mutter to anyone that will listen that they have a copy of that, ffs sake djs are meant to be entertaining so fooking entertain and smile sometimes and unfold your arms and please dont talk too much on the mic its about the music not you,

I think purely from a music perspective that sounds good, but the scene is exactly that now a scene. The social side is the reason why there's so many events, because people enjoy meeting mates and having a laugh, and if you look at lookbacks from some of the more upfront events exactly the same thing is said, the only differences are the music being played and in most cases they're attending a nighter. If the northern soul crowd wanted something 'new', as the musical diet then oldies events would be the ones in the minority. Simple truth is that most people want to have a beer and not travel, if there was only a one room event to attend, most simply wouldn't go. IMO

Edited by Winnie :-)
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

One thing some folk seem to lose track of is wether you go to a local soul nite or travel to your nighter of choice......it,s not just about hearing new stuff just coz it,s new as if that,s the riason det're for going out....it,s a small part,but a part never the less. some l know and who,ve posted on this thread look as if someones just shot their dog (whenever l look at em anyway lol). It,s about the crac, the music and just fun..........don,t forget the original question though

Social source share

As a relative newbie to "the scene" (a late starter yes, but a soul lover in its many forms since my teens) I've had the best 12 months musically and socially since I met Len and Co here in Northants last August.

I've really enjoyed many different local nights as well as first timer this year to Brid, Boomerang, Stoke & Lifeline (all of which I'll go to again and more I want to try)...hearing amazing new records all the time and still loving most of the ones I do know well.

Learning so much about the scene as it was and as it is now, but no spring chicken myself at 40, it does leave me wondering why more people my age and younger are not also enjoying this AMAZING music. Another thread on this somewhere I'm sure!

With much respect to all of you who've been riding the highs and lows of Northern Soul over many years, as it does seem like hard work sometimes, even through my relatively new eyes.

Steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

As a life server for my sins, and as a punter, promoter, collector, and hopefully DJ, the scene is an ever changing one, sometimes for the good , but most times not would I would like. for the most part. what I really cant get my head round, and it really displeases me , why some people feel the need , to put down ,or go out of there way to have ago, or make a nasty dig, on forums, about other people, I know its all part of a healthy debate, however, sometimes it gets very personal, I thought we where all in this to-gether? for the greater good. to hear fantastic music, to send that shiver up your back ect, to be enlightened, to go out and just have a bloody good time,As someone said to me a long time ago, the scene is very tribal, which is true, of course I understand that we all have our favourite venues, theirs no shame in that, I for one, have mine. and make no bones about it, BUT..its getting worse IMO.The scene is over saturated, week by week even more nites, niters, DJ,s, at the end of the day, each and all have every right to DJ or promote, and the days when we was all youngsters.adorning our big name Dj s have long gone. Good thing or bad thing? we are getting older, of course, dying, illness , all these things impact on us all. There is a younger generation, waiting to fill the shoes of us old school soulies,and I think the scene will be very different in 10 or twenty years time, it has to evolve, for all things do.Yes I know all about the you pat my back I will pat yours, that will never change, Tit for tat DJing always goes on and it allways will.And I know some people will never get on! But I still ask the question why? Beasys made a comment about my passion and that's why I have decided to post up this thread, and for no other reason.......

just try the Red Bar Wakefield or Just Soul venue and all your problems are solved :yes:

all the best

dave

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

As a relative newbie to "the scene" (a late starter yes, but a soul lover in its many forms since my teens) I've had the best 12 months musically and socially since I met Len and Co here in Northants last August.

I've really enjoyed many different local nights as well as first timer this year to Brid, Boomerang, Stoke & Lifeline (all of which I'll go to again and more I want to try)...hearing amazing new records all the time and still loving most of the ones I do know well.

Learning so much about the scene as it was and as it is now, but no spring chicken myself at 40, it does leave me wondering why more people my age and younger are not also enjoying this AMAZING music. Another thread on this somewhere I'm sure!

With much respect to all of you who've been riding the highs and lows of Northern Soul over many years, as it does seem like hard work sometimes, even through my relatively new eyes.

Steve

nice to see you out and about at different venues......you,ll like what ya like and not what ya don,t........don,t let anyone tell what ta like theres nowt to prove to anyone.......see you run a venue in NORTHANTS hope you don,t get sucked into the rubbish that lot over there are renowned for which part of my earlier post touches upon......you,re a mate of len,s lol, so i,m sure you won,t ...have fun see ya around tezza

Social source share

It wasn't that long ago that there was one venue in Dewsbury, Sheridans and it had three or four promoters who each promoted their night after each other. You had a different music policy every week and the place was rocking, oldies, newies, R&B, modern right across the spectrum of Northern Soul. Great venue and a great time was had by most who went there. It was a bit of a dump but it had atmosphere.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Whether I go out or not thesedays has nothing to do with whether I love the music and the scene and more to do with what kind of week i've had at work. If i've had a crap week I just don't fancy it. Stupid really cos i'm missing some good nights. Like Dave says, get out and enjoy yourselves, we're all a long time dead.

Social source share

excellent post John I would expect nothing less from you..see you at rugby for a good old chin wag as we always do :thumbsup:

Social source share

I have to just say, me and woody are not full of " doom and gloom " by any means, and we do go out and have a whale of a time , we go where we want, to all sorts of venues , and sometimes, some of the things that have happened to us would have you all falling off your seats with laughter, but that's for another thread me thinks..

as for being old and hip replacements ect...and being over 50 myself, let me tell you about a time when we did the Sunflower, small basement venue, dance-floor the size of a postage stamp, upstairs a bar with all kinds of younger folk shall we say, and some 20 year old,s heard the music and came down , with a quick U turn,,saying god this place is full of OLD people, and they smell FFS :lol:

I cant tell you how we laughed :ohmy: after the shock :lol:

However just how many of us have had hip and knee replacements, nowt wrong with that, at least it keeps on the dance floor a bit longer, and lets hope that out kids can still enjoy some kind of scene that they are into now,when they reach our age..thats something to think about.how often have all of us come home after a niter, and been greeted by our children asking us well the hell have we been till this time of the morning.

As for the SOUL SCENE..its evolved as its meant to be , as we live in a completely different era now say from 30 years ago, media of all formats rules, so it is going to entice people, who if it was still an underground scene as it was years ago, most likely would not get into it otherwise, when I was a younger lass :wink: if someone asked you what kinda music you like and you said northern soul, they looked at you as if you were off your trolley..however ,to-day its a completely different game, commercialism at its best rules, and even the girls at work who really don't have a clue about what, I do or where I go, say there's a northern soul nite by us with great anticipation, waiting for me to say yeah yeah where is it I will go, I say, its crap and they play CD,s they just dont get it ..thank god, cos soul as I know it has saved me from many an awful works xmas anal party!!!!

Social source share

I have to just say, me and woody are not full of " doom and gloom " by any means,

I wasn't talking about anyone in particular - I was talking generally as in I don't think the scene is doomed and I certainly don't think it's gloomy.

I am as passionate as the next person and like the majority have spent many years analysing and talking about how things used to be and how I wished things were. Not any more. Well, not to the extent I used to anyway.

One thing's for sure, there is no way I am going to look back in years to come and think I wish I had just gone out and enjoyed it for what it was.

Social source share