The General State Of Our Beloved Soul Scene

mrs soul

And if this and Kev Spittles post aint evidance that the cream dont rise to the top then im elvis presley :yes: 2 of my favourite nights having to take a break cos too many nights on, these nights are what the scene is and should be about, exciting fresh music played by enthusiastic djs playing the best in current old and forgotten sounds of the highest quality of rare soul/northern soul or whatever you wanna call it :hatsoff2:

oh and both venues run by promoters that dont do it for a dj spot they leave it to the djs the book :yes:

Social source share

As you know so have we, we still get asked, whens Disciples on again..theres just not a clear date its a nightmare, as some one said already, a lot of the problems are greed, and people with records, wanting to play their records so, they start a venue, and I really put my foot in my mouth last nite, but thats not usual for me :lol: as we was chatting about my posts, and I said, the trouble with where I live is yet another fooking motown nite sprouting..to the person whos doing it, went down like a heavy lead balloon of the biggest order.

Sheridans, was fabulous when at Dewsbury , I can remember one particular nite, Tim Brown was Dj ing I was on the dance floor, and I was thinking, it dont get much better than this.Fabulous atmosphere...and it was a bloody long way for us to travel there, but many times we did, and it was worth it, but I ask you if it came back next week ,would it get that same support, I think not.

As for people playing expensive records, there's nothing wrong with that , I guess all of us posting on here , we appreciate just how hard it is and how rare they are, and you can play a ten pound tune rite after it, if it follows, but what I hate is somebody playing what they think is the dogs bollocks, and if fact a load of tripe, thats when the selfishness comes into it, and that's down to the promoter, who really needs to look at who they are booking, instead think about the whole picture, think about your paying customers, do it right, so many times I see line ups that for me dont work, but its not for me to say is it, or is it?

Social source share

Ian D, the idea of a 2000 person capacity venue firing up every month is lovely, but just not viable for obvious reasons. Music policy, what is it?., Promoter who is it? , DJs, who would they be? financing said venue, who could afford it? but above all getting 2000 people to travel again, not sure you'd be thanked for cutting down choice and basically curtailing a lot of punters social lives?

Winnie :)

Wow, it seems my utopian vision of a major rallying point for the scene is just a dream then. I wouldn't say it would be cutting down choice though - most people on here seem to be moaning about too many venues with low attendances don't they?

I guess age is a massive factor isn't it? Somehow travelling hundreds of miles every week when we were teenagers made all the sense in the world when we had bags of energy and enthusiasm.

Mind you I did two all-nighters last weekend but in Ibiza and obviously a totally different type of music. Not quite the same thing over here is it....? :lol:

Ian D :D

Social source share

Wow, it seems my utopian vision of a major rallying point for the scene is just a dream then. I wouldn't say it would be cutting down choice though - most people on here seem to be moaning about too many venues with low attendances don't they?

I guess age is a massive factor isn't it? Somehow travelling hundreds of miles every week when we were teenagers made all the sense in the world when we had bags of energy and enthusiasm.

Mind you I did two all-nighters last weekend but in Ibiza and obviously a totally different type of music. Not quite the same thing over here is it....? :lol:

Ian D :D

now your talking Ian :D

Social source share

I think years ago there were very few alternatives and you had to really travel to hear the music and it was uptempo sixties until the Mecca stuff and look at the uproar that caused....now there are about 20 different varieties under the umbrella of northern soul and it's all been diluted.Ebay/internet/films/press/CD's has blown the mystique it once had.You can travel to five different nights and get 5 different variations. I had to start a night up in the south east as in my opinion there wasn't a night that played traditional northern soul and I'm not just talking hammered oldies.A lot put northern soul/rare soul/boogaloo/latin but that's not what I was after.I do think you have to set your stall out and be blatant on the flyers.I knocked up a youtube vide of the sort of stuff i spin....nobody can be under any illusion when they come and start asking for Doug Banks etc.As for a nantional weekly large niter...there would be 700 dj's and 5 dancers and 1 dancer on the floor at a time due to the different varieties.

Social source share

Guest Mark Holmes

Has anyone seen whats happening in the US. I go to Seattle annualy for their weekender and it is incredible. The music is varied and at times not traditional, people are not judged by how they dance, there are no soul police, the energy is incredible, there is maybe seating for 30 people max and there are 500 people in the place. The average age I would say is 25 to 30 and people love the music. Its advertised as a dance night, you can hear rare, modern and underplayed soul music.

Opinions are like arseholes everyone has one and for the most part they all stink! not so in Seattle the guys who run this have such a strong following they do 2 soul nights a month in Seattle. At the weekender they typically give up all of the slots to guests and fill in as neccasary.

In Chicago there is the Empty Bottle, In LA a strong scene is developing.

So if you want energy, fun, dancing, no soul police and an overall great time look into the US for a soulfull experience with a differenc...however if you are a chin stroking anorak who wants to force their opinion on everyone and you can't survive outside of a clique and worry about how someone enjoys their selves....go down the street with you best mates to the local church hall. IMHO

Social source share

I've never seen the soul police at a venue? I've never seen (or rarely seen) anyone being judged for how they dance. I don't see chin stroking anoraks at venues forcing their opinion on anyone either, in fact I haven't seen anyone have an opinion forced upon them :no:

You say opinions are like arse holes and for the most part they stink. What makes your opinion any different? It's a discussion forum, a place to give your opinion isn't it?

Still plenty of energy (despite the ages of some), fun and dancing over here, and not a uniform in sight.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Has anyone seen whats happening in the US. I go to Seattle annualy for their weekender and it is incredible. The music is varied and at times not traditional, people are not judged by how they dance, there are no soul police, the energy is incredible, there is maybe seating for 30 people max and there are 500 people in the place. The average age I would say is 25 to 30 and people love the music. Its advertised as a dance night, you can hear rare, modern and underplayed soul music.

Opinions are like arseholes everyone has one and for the most part they all stink! not so in Seattle the guys who run this have such a strong following they do 2 soul nights a month in Seattle. At the weekender they typically give up all of the slots to guests and fill in as neccasary.

So if you want energy, fun, dancing, no soul police and an overall great time look into the US for a soulfull experience with a differenc...however if you are a chin stroking anorak who wants to force their opinion on everyone and you can't survive outside of a clique and worry about how someone enjoys their selves....go down the street with you best mates to the local church hall. IMHO

Do you want to name some venues where the soul police hang out, people are judged by their dancing and chin strokers sit around forcing their opinions on everyone?

I can't think of any.

It gets on my nerves when people run down the UK scene and compare it with other places, like they are some kind of soul nirvana. I haven't been anywhere in the last ten years (and before) where I didn't feel welcome, had great conversation, made new friends and (most of the time) really enjoyed myself. I feel part of something good.

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

What I would like to know is when did people stop listening to new sounds?The scene is/was built on passionate dj's championing new sounds they love?

As a wet behind the ears young soulie once you'd shown some commitment the older soulies took you under there wing & showed you the ropes & etiquette of the scene.A major part of that was hearing the next big tune to come along & all that went with it.....C/U name..........even better who it was really........which Dj was playing it.......what venue was playing it etc.

So why do I keep hearing all the new stuff played is shite or you can't dance to it?I must be going to different night's as I keep hearing some brilliant stuff I don't know & can't help but dance to it.

My heart will always be with the nighter scene,for me they will always be the frontrunners of the scene.For reasons already mention by others in prior posts I'm one them that is unable to attend as many as I would like but feel lucky that there are a few quality soul night's run on nighter lines (musically) which manage to give me my fix in-between my visits to nighters.

Once dj's stop looking/playing different tunes that is the beginning of the end imo?I personally don't think that is any time soon as there still seems plenty about with a passion for new music,maybe not to fill big halls but enough to fill those great small intimate venues.

I leave you with a thought amongst all this doom & gloom..........the worst northern night I've ever been to is still 100 times better then been stood in the pub listening to some party dj or dross from the jukebox :yes:

Cheers

Martyn

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Mark..its an entirely different kettle of fish in the states.. its still a young scene there at the moment , as it is in Germany, they are up for it all, and good on them, as you say Chicago..is developing... give it time , then come back and in a few years time and tell me the same. Were really on about the shameful tosspots who insist on doing there utmost to fook everything up, all I am hoping for this thread will hi-light to us all ,as we seem to sometimes forget what its all about..just a reminder as it seemed to be getting outa hand again, make us sit up and do sommat about it :thumbsup:

Social source share

What I would like to know is when did people stop listening to new sounds?The scene is/was built on passionate dj's championing new sounds they love?

As a wet behind the ears young soulie once you'd shown some commitment the older soulies took you under there wing & showed you the ropes & etiquette of the scene.A major part of that was hearing the next big tune to come along & all that went with it.....C/U name..........even better who it was really........which Dj was playing it.......what venue was playing it etc.

So why do I keep hearing all the new stuff played is shite or you can't dance to it?I must be going to different night's as I keep hearing some brilliant stuff I don't know & can't help but dance to it.

My heart will always be with the nighter scene,for me they will always be the frontrunners of the scene.For reasons already mention by others in prior posts I'm one them that is unable to attend as many as I would like but feel lucky that there are a few quality soul night's run on nighter lines (musically) which manage to give me my fix in-between my visits to nighters.

Once dj's stop looking/playing different tunes that is the beginning of the end imo?I personally don't think that is any time soon as there still seems plenty about with a passion for new music,maybe not to fill big halls but enough to fill those great small intimate venues.

I leave you with a thought amongst all this doom & gloom..........the worst northern night I've ever been to is still 100 times better then been stood in the pub listening to some party dj or dross from the jukebox :yes:

Cheers

Martyn

your not alone, great post :thumbsup:

Social source share

Martyn, if you got to offending venues a lot of the people there were never there first time around and so dont get it in that sense. I'll bet a fair % at some nights have never done an all nighter.

Thats not a dig before anyone shouts me down but the whole scene has been diluted down to accommodate people and increase attendances.

Social source share

Guest Mark Holmes

I rest my case your emminences and honors....its like a game of Snap..the person who shouts loudest wins.

I have been reading the comments on this site for a long time boys and girls and at one time of another all of the things I have mentioned have been dragged up, commented on and verdicts been given.

Nuff said.

Social source share

Not posted on here for a long while, and nothing seems to change, same old arguments about the same old things. I hold my hands up, I was a guilty as the rest, and more than some, for having a go about-baggies-pressings- oldies v newies-CD's etc ad infinitum, but you know what? I really don't care anymore! Live and let live and wake up people! Most northern venues consist of a run down club, playing 40 odd year old music to a handful of punters. It is not the whole world, it's not even a microscopic part of it! On any given weekend, if you took ALL the folk attending northern do's and put 'em all together, they would'nt even fill the terrace behind the goal at Stamford Bridge! Which means more people know the name of the bloke who sells the pies, than any of the so-called 'Top' DJ's! Really makes all the pathetic squabbling seem even more petty and stupid! Do what you do, go where you go, have a laugh with your mates and actually ENJOY yourself for what it is, not what you think it should be, before you rip apart even further the little we have left! I'm too old for this shit! Off over to F/B, where I can have a laugh! Now, tell me I ain't right!

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

Not posted on here for a long while, and nothing seems to change, same old arguments about the samw old things. I hold my hands up, I was a guilty as the rest, and more than some, for having a go about-baggies-pressings- oldies v newies-CD's etc ad infinitum, but you know what? I really don't care anymore! Live and let live and wake up people! Most northern venues consist of a run down club, playing 40 odd year old music to a handful of punters. It is not the whole world, it!s not even a microscopic part of it! On any given weekend, if you took ALL the folk attending northern do's and put 'em all together, they would'nt even fill the terrace behind the goal at Stamford Bridge! Which means more people know the name of the bloke who sells the pies, than amy of the so-called 'Top' DJ's! Really makes all the pathetic squabbling seem even more petty and stupid! Do what you do, go where you go, have a laugh with your mates and actually ENJOY yourself for what it is, not what you think ot should be, before you rip apart even further the little we have left! I'm too old for this shit! Off over to F/B, where I can have a laugh! Now, tell me I ain't right!

Bang on m8y,hope ur well .

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

:no:

Still plenty of energy (despite the ages of some), fun and dancing over here, and not a uniform in sight.

Exactly!!........age has nowt to do with it it,s mind set that makes the difference. You think ya to old,to tired or just can,t be bothered and thats exaclty how you,ll be because it,s how ya wanna be.

If you don,t want to go out anymore then say so!! don,t use the rest as an excuse. Asolutely sure these kind of people have this take on all aspects of their lives..........you know the sort "it,s alright for them" when talking about folk who have made something for themselves ....in the winter "it,s to cold" as soon as it starts getting dark a bit early. Spend their f**king lives sat in front of the telly watching all sorts of mindless shite big brother,strictly come dancing and the soaps. Stuffing themsleves with allsorts of crap convienience food.....and on this scene when they can be bothered going to spoon fed shite venues were they accept whatever poor product in fed to them as long as the place looks like wigin and the rubbish dj,s continue to shout the same old crap about the old days.....

This thread is about what,s wrong.......for me (aside from my earlier post which people know about but choose to sweep under the mat ) l choose venues where my good people attend and l have a right good crac so it,s not all bad just a small part of it tezza

Social source share

Not posted on here for a long while, and nothing seems to change, same old arguments about the same old things. I hold my hands up, I was a guilty as the rest, and more than some, for having a go about-baggies-pressings- oldies v newies-CD's etc ad infinitum, but you know what? I really don't care anymore! Live and let live and wake up people! Most northern venues consist of a run down club, playing 40 odd year old music to a handful of punters. It is not the whole world, it's not even a microscopic part of it! On any given weekend, if you took ALL the folk attending northern do's and put 'em all together, they would'nt even fill the terrace behind the goal at Stamford Bridge! Which means more people know the name of the bloke who sells the pies, than any of the so-called 'Top' DJ's! Really makes all the pathetic squabbling seem even more petty and stupid! Do what you do, go where you go, have a laugh with your mates and actually ENJOY yourself for what it is, not what you think it should be, before you rip apart even further the little we have left! I'm too old for this shit! Off over to F/B, where I can have a laugh! Now, tell me I ain't right!

Please refrain from bringing the bridge into this please lol

Social source share

In a nut shell & encapsulates the PROPER NS Scene, the one I got in to & still love passionately......see you on a dance floor at a real Nighter soon..Mr Abbott........prepare ones self for a road trip !!!Best Russ

Hello again Russ (repiled to your early post on this thread mate)

We all have more days behind us than we have in front so lets all enjoy it while we can.

Nothing else to say really.

Best

ROB

Social source share

Cheers

Martyn

Good post Martyn :thumbsup:

I must be getting old cos i've heard so much new stuff on facebook ,my brain refuses to take anymore in :(

Ok it may not be new to everyone ,but seriously, i like to think i'm open ears and spend most of my spare time trawling for new sounds but the list is endless...like my wants list :D

on topic ..the people you refer to who moan about soul ..are not into soul music ,they are into a scene .

a scene they were'nt into when some of their mates were going to underground soul venues ..they missed it and all the trimmings that came with it...they never got it then, and don't get it now....they just wanna tell people who don't know better ...." im a northern soulie" got the "t" shirt ..the mug ...the clothes and a bag...with dancing shoes / a vest and some talc :wave:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

hi there I'm thinking about doing a monthly soul night at a nudist camp do you think this could get people intrested in going to a new open minded do ? regards Simon.

Social source share

Thing with this sort of debate is there is NO ANSWER to it! According to various vews over the years the scene has been on its uppers since the Wheel/Torch/Wigan/Cleethorpes/Stafford etc closed! Everybody thinks their period was best. Om sure Cro-magnon man cried into his mammoth stew about how it was better before Homo erectus showed up, and in the year 2525, if man is still alive, we will still be moaning about it and the 'good old days' when we were not just brains in jars! Point is, the past is gone, over, kaput. "Where are those blue remembered hills, I see them shining plain, those happy highways where we went and cannot go again" Today is all we have, and tomorrow is unknowable. Grasp this idea, and make the most of it, I gave up caring what records are worth, and who paid thousands for what. Today I respect a DJ who plays an imaginative, interesting set that pleases me, not one that reflects his spending power. At a do, I enjoy the company of those that make me laugh with an amusing tale, not those that drivel on about how much so-and-so spent on whatever 45 bought him 'respect' this week. When there is no solution to a never ending debate Iremember Doris Day "Que Sera, Sera, Whatever Will Be Will Be" so stop moaning, trying to change it, just enjoy it, your a long time dead! :-)

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

Cheers

Martyn

Hi Martyn,

What do you mean by new sounds in this context ?

In the "old days" that I missed ; I have played some of the live tapes and it is clear that the main floor played a mix of temp and styles and releases new in that year.

They seemed to worked because the new releases, at that time, had a similar feel and therefore easier mix to the current plays.

I don't hear many new sounds, ie releases in 2010 and 2011, that fit into the main floors of today ; unless its a so called modern set. Happy to hear any 2010, 2011 and recent releases that people think do fit with a more traditional 60ts set. (pm away)

Or did you mean "new sounds" to the mass who are on the floor enjoying generally what they know.

Thanks

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

I'll come along Simon,if i've got nothing on.

Brilliant Kev please no jokes about record holes .I'm just hoping non of the dj's want to do cover ups ( BUM BUM) regards Simon.

Social source share

Only go out to have fun and enjoy yourself :thumbup:

Only go to venues you enjoy going to :thumbup:

Be friends with people you enjoy being friends with :thumbup:

If you don't enjoy yourself when out - don't go, why on earth do something in life you don't enjoy when its a choice :g:

Few of problems as I see it (generalisations of course)

1. promoters only care for themselves - not real regard for other nites that will / do clash

2. some events have as many guests / dj's / friends not paying to be there as the few who (often travel) and do pay

3. djs attend to get spots (because that's part of how it works at the moment) and give them in return if they run there own do

4. I disagree that there are too many djs - I don't think there are enough (especially given chance to play) ; I attend many events were the djs are constant as are the records they play

5. No one will write a bad review for fear of being blanked / disliked. They can say private but not public. Hence poor venues continue and drag down the good (both being half empty)

6. Events need to be clearer on music style played ie Northern Oldies, RnB and be very clear on OVO or not. Most promoters wont be because they just want numbers........I think the days of one room suits all is dead. I think the best option is a main room of (mainly oldies) and a progressive side room (carried by the main room), playing the rnb, funk tinged, gospel or for some modern etc

7. Smaller rooms (especially now when times are hard) is prob sensible, where like minds will gather, and have an atmosphere

I am quiet positive that the scene will continue and evolve...

I prefer the rare and underplayed niters myself, one room, dark, low ceiling, great sound system and like minded people (ideally who i like and can chat too). There are still some events around that do this for me, so I just have to seek them out............

Seek out what you like and enjoy it :D

Nail on head there Kev

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Hi Martyn,

What do you mean by new sounds in this context ?

In the "old days" that I missed ; I have played some of the live tapes and it is clear that the main floor played a mix of temp and styles and releases new in that year.

They seemed to worked because the new releases, at that time, had a similar feel and therefore easier mix to the current plays.

I don't hear many new sounds, ie releases in 2010 and 2011, that fit into the main floors of today ; unless its a so called modern set. Happy to hear any 2010, 2011 and recent releases that people think do fit with a more traditional 60ts set. (pm away)

Or did you mean "new sounds" to the mass who are on the floor enjoying generally what they know.

Thanks

Hi

I was meaning dj's were finding "new" records that hadn't been played before on the scene & later would become the tunes we know as anthems now,not a release from that year although the odd one was.

There's been the odd 2011 releases that have been getting a few plays recently...........Frootful-Fish In The Sea..........Jo Stance-Hey Girl & Wicked Lesters re-mix of Ain't No Mountain High Enough.

Cheers

Martyn

Social source share

HAVE TO AGREE WITH CHALKY AND PIKEY'S DOG HERE VENUES SHOULD GO BACK TO ONE ROOM POLICY THAT WAY EVERY GERNE OF OUR BELOVED MUSIC IS SAMPLED BY EVERYONE ,BE IT OLDIES UNDERPLAYED MODERN R&B EVERYONE'S KEPT HAPPY .YOU GET A FAR BETTER ATMOSPHERE AND HOPEFULLY PEOPLE GET TO APPRECIATE JUST HOW GOOD OUR MUSIC REALLY IS IF YOU OPEN YOUR EARS. THOSE OF US THAT WHERE ROAROUND IN THE DARK DAYS OF THE 80'S & 90'S SEEM TO HAVE A MORE DIVERSE AND APPRECIATIVE OF THE DIFFERENT GERNE'S OF OUR MUSIC . SO COME ON PROMOTERS GET YOUR ACTS TOGETHER BEFORE ITS TO LATE . :)

Social source share

I actually like a venue with two rooms, for if I feel the musics not to my taste , I can always divulge my self in another room, although most times .I never seem to move from where the records are :)

If I am right, going back to marks post, we have go go children In Bristol ? which is the same kind of format ,age range 18 to 50 odd year olds, all mixing to gether ect. I have not ventured there, but I believe that anything go,s including a bit of ska as long as its 60T,s

But saying a small venue is the way to go, actually dont think these days , anyone really can get a full house in that format, from what I can observe , most people seem to go by where the crowd is, instead of making there own mind up, and will happily go to a certain venue, if their mates go, and they know it will be busy ect, and bypass, a better musically and forwards thinking soul nite. I really dot think there is an answer to this. however at least we have had a good discussion . put our thoughts to print, even if I , or others don't quite agree with what's been said. The posts on here have been excellent, but I think this thread has run its course, for I fear that we will still be chewing the soul fat this time next year.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

One room for me please with the lot goin' on & DJ's mixing it up sensibly in one set..... 6ts, 7ts,Oldies, newies, Modern, Xover, stomping, midtempo, & soulful, if its got the X factor play it........including appropriate new releases..........thats my soul heaven & always was. NS is just a record that is popular at Nighters, there's no rules......

I have my favourite DJ's these days, but would love to see Spenna DJ out again, lots more of Carl Fortnum & Shifty should get behind the decks again too & of course...Irish Greg, Flynny...... exciting DJ's, who got excited over records & create an atmosphere, they can build sets properly & drop in the newies between more established sounds whilst still being creative & working the floor...................promoters should also have a vision for the venue & create a sound that is the 'sound' of that venue, thats what creates the buzz & a loyal following.........dont book boring DJ's who are just going thru the motions, spend time choosing residents who will create the kinda sound & atmosphere you want & choose guest DJ's carefully to compliment them, not just a big play box & no enthusiasm, passion or commitment to the cause & promote the bloody thing properly, work ya friggin ass off, put flyers in peoples hands & look em in the eye, make it personal, create a bond with ya punters.

I want another Droyesden (spelling), Shotts, Albrighton, Newbury, Tony's type nighter & soul nights like the Dome & Water Rats, walk in these places & it was f*ckin electric..some of the so called Nighter goers these days would piss em selves....dark, sweaty, pounding & exciting, not a local hotel in sight, no cakes or sweeties cos if you ate summat you'd boff......n you come out into the blinding day light with your ears ringing & your head spinning, full of last nights 'sounds' & knowing you'd had a proper night............& nothing would be the same until Tuesday, when you would decide to sell up :lol: ........but by Wednesday you were planning the next lost weekend........its all a bit vanilla right now......pass me a Latte.........phewwww got carried away there a bit, but you get the point dontcha. .

Best Russ

Edited by Russ Vickers
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

One room for me please with the lot goin' on & DJ's mixing it up sensibly in one set..... 6ts, 7ts,Oldies, newies, Modern, Xover, stomping, midtempo, & soulful, if its got the X factor play it........including appropriate new releases..........thats my soul heaven & always was. NS is just a record that is popular at Nighters, there's no rules......

I have my favourite DJ's these days, but would love to see Spenna DJ out again, lots more of Carl Fortnum & Shifty should get behind the decks again too & of course...Irish Greg, Flynny...... exciting DJ's, who got excited over records & create an atmosphere, they can build sets properly & drop in the newies between more established sounds whilst still being creative & working the floor...................promoters should also have a vision for the venue & create a sound that is the 'sound' of that venue, thats what creates the buzz & a loyal following.........dont book boring DJ's who are just going thru the motions, spend time choosing residents who will create the kinda sound & atmosphere you want & choose guest DJ's carefully to compliment them, not just a big play box & no enthusiasm, passion or commitment to the cause & promote the bloody thing properly, work ya friggin ass off, put flyers in peoples hands & look em in the eye, make it personal, create a bond with ya punters.

I want another Droyesden (spelling), Shotts, Albrighton, Newbury, Tony's type nighter & soul nights like the Dome & Water Rats, walk in these places & it was f*ckin electric..some of the so called Nighter goers these days would piss em selves....dark, sweaty, pounding & exciting, not a local hotel in sight, no cakes or sweeties cos if you ate summat you'd boff......n you come out into the blinding day light with your ears ringing & your head spinning, full of last nights 'sounds' & knowing you'd had a proper night............& nothing would be the same until Tuesday, when you would decide to sell up :lol: ........but by Wednesday you were planning the next lost weekend........its all a bit vanilla right now......pass me a Latte.........phewwww got carried away there a bit, but you get the point dontcha. .

Best Russ

YES but at least we still got Butch . he breaks the new stuff still.

Social source share

Cheers

Martyn

Cheers

Martyn

100% soulfully stated with-out any animosity , malice or soap-box ( its so easy ) the worst northern night I've ever been to is still 100 times better then been stood in the pub listening to some party dj or dross from the jukebox :yes:says it all

Social source share

45 years ago i attended my first NITTA ( château impany ) & the sounds were the sounds of today (back then) no talk of oldies & newies for the next 10 years it stayed that way then two words hit the scene northern soul thus bringing the first split although catalogued circa 71 newbies post 73 would start to utter those two words ......6ts soulies avoided its utterence nitta sounds or rare soul being used thus another split albeit only a verbal split but the need to classify for some and blend for others happened from blending come specification splits aka hype fill the dots in upto date with buy in D.Js who no matter how expensive your discs if you dont know when to play them & follow on D.J you aint i ihave no probs with expensive record on the scene its part of the record -collecting scene & record collectors can be & are good D.Js julia & myself go out to enjoy ourselves wnen we dont we'll stop im not going out to be boringly bored we are selective where we do go because good times did stop for us a few years back but back on the right track now...................................lulu wish id read your post before seeing you sat nite but dont worry this scene (which ever bit you choose) will never end ......if all but a hand -full of soulies got wiped out they'd find each other & start all over again.........YOUNG-BLOOD .........sat night a soul pal of mine attended a nitta with three of his off-spring all 4 kickin that dance floor good time soul ....& STOP KEEPIN THE FAITH SPREAD IT AROUND GIVE IT RESPECT & LOVE

Social source share

thanx for the mention mrs soul,(did mick introduce us outside worcester friday night?)...go go children in bristol does tick a lot of the boxes that people seem to want..BUT...although we play mainly rnb and northern and some funky edged there may be a little ska or even a couple of soulful british beat so i suppose its not strictly a soulnight.... we do play 'new' tunes every month as we are all collectors before we are djs but we wont play a tune because of its value,none of us can afford a tune we dont love and have faith in!...we do let the djs play want thay want(as long as its 60s)...there will be classics..but there will also be unknowns....we have older soulies who have been there and done it but we have loads of youngsters hearing this music for the first time...sometimes its rammed (120) and you wont have loads of room on the floor....but the atmosphere the youngsters create at these nights is brilliant..and it gets f****** hot!...everyone is friendly and we have a good sound,wooden danceloor,low ceiling and a balcony by the floor to chill out on...its taken a few years but even the youngsters are not taking their drinks on the floor...our guest djs have included sean chapman,pete tebbutt,des parker,mick lloyd,johnny beggs,trowbridge matt and a couple of local unknowns steve conner and rocker...and in the next few months we have matts return visit,dr pickles and big george

weve thought about takin on downstairs in the club makin room for another 150 people but this would cost us more money so adm would go up from our credit crunching £3 and some people say would lose the vibe we have at the moment with one room...and ofcourse things can change overnight especially in a recession so will carry on as we are for now...3 years ago when we started we woud have hoped but really never have thought we would be as we are..but who knows

it wont be everyones cup of tea but what night is...maybe theyre being polite but most people i know from the soul scene who have attended have loved it and its been said 'its like a breath of fresh air'....

i go out everyweek and enjoy almost everynight i go to but i dont want it all my way...like people have said search for the nights you like...live and let live a bit..and have a good time....the scene IS alive and kicking...maybe its you that are not

dean

Edited by spacehopper
Social source share

Best Russ

Intersetingly and perhaps revealing the best Dj's Ive heard this year dont come form a northern background and I'd say are below the age of 40, heads up to Gumbo and Big George.

Social source share

Guest Dr Pickles

Best Russ

Now, that's the sort of drive and enthusiasm I'm looking for when I go to a nighter.

Put me down Membership number 001.

Doc

Social source share

Guest chorleybloke

Tolerance & respect says it all - we're all batting for the same side.

Keeping the playlists fresh is imperative, promoters insist that DJs fit 4 newies into their sets, regardless of what it says on the flyer.

Don't try to "educate" the dancefloor.

Blacklist DJs who rock up 30 minutes before their spot - they should be there from the starting whistle.

Give away free CDs on the door.

And here's a wild idea - don't pay the DJs, only have volunteers. In Australia we do it for a pint, in fact most would pay the promoter for the privelege.

Cheers......Pete

Social source share

I have my favourite DJ's these days, but would love to see Spenna DJ out again, lots more of Carl Fortnum & Shifty should get behind the decks again too & of course...Irish Greg, Flynny...... exciting DJ's, who got excited over records & create an atmosphere, they can build sets properly & drop in the newies between more established sounds whilst still being creative & working the floor............

Weeeeeeell, you may be pleased to learn Russ, that both Irish Greg and myself will be DJing on the same bill at the New Years Eve Va-Va-Voom...in the main hall...in good ole London town...plus AlanH will also be in the R'nB room...almost like a Capitol Soul Club reunion!?! I believe Soul Sam and Arthur Fenn will be our 'support' hahaha...and not forgetting your hosts for the evening, Ady, Yann and Joel...plenty of quality tuneage and atmosphere guaranteed!

:shhh:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Tolerance & respect says it all - we're all batting for the same side.

Keeping the playlists fresh is imperative, promoters insist that DJs fit 4 newies into their sets, regardless of what it says on the flyer.

Don't try to "educate" the dancefloor.

Blacklist DJs who rock up 30 minutes before their spot - they should be there from the starting whistle.

Give away free CDs on the door.

And here's a wild idea - don't pay the DJs, only have volunteers. In Australia we do it for a pint, in fact most would pay the promoter for the privelege.

Cheers......Pete

tell ya what mate.....superb ideas.........heres another that should be implimented.....if a dj asks for a spot or indeed if he,s asked he should be prepared as part of the deal to waive his fee if he kills the dancefloor......if he thinks he,s good enough he,ll have no problem with that.......cause if they don,t play the clubs music policy then they are the ones at fault....if they do then everones happy.....and they,ll get paid gladly

Social source share

Now, that's the sort of drive and enthusiasm I'm looking for when I go to a nighter.

Put me down Membership number 001.

Doc

I may well hold you to that Chris if I ever open the Newbury Club again

which is an idea starting to come to mind.

But Russ might be first in the queue!

Best

ROB

Social source share

I actually like a venue with two rooms, for if I feel the musics not to my taste , I can always divulge my self in another room, although most times .I never seem to move from where the records are :) If I am right, going back to marks post, we have go go children In Bristol ? which is the same kind of format ,age range 18 to 50 odd year olds, all mixing to gether ect. I have not ventured there, but I believe that anything go,s including a bit of ska as long as its 60T,s But saying a small venue is the way to go, actually dont think these days , anyone really can get a full house in that format, from what I can observe , most people seem to go by where the crowd is, instead of making there own mind up, and will happily go to a certain venue, if their mates go, and they know it will be busy ect, and bypass, a better musically and forwards thinking soul nite. I really dot think there is an answer to this. however at least we have had a good discussion . put our thoughts to print, even if I , or others don't quite agree with what's been said. The posts on here have been excellent, but I think this thread has run its course, for I fear that we will still be chewing the soul fat this time next year.

Quite some thread in the space of a week hey Lou?! I've certainly found it interesting following this subject and once again would like to add that as a relatively new joiner (but now regular attendee at a growing number of nights), I'm really enjoying wherever I go to most weekends and it looks to me like all others I see are too, even if some don't always look like it from their facial expressions at the time!

I feel quite lucky that I have a good choice of events to go to...both locally & nationally, and whilst I completely understand many of the posts on here regarding too many events diluting things over the years, I can't comment too much as I wasn't around when things were greatly different. I think it's healthy to have choice of some good regular(ish) local events as well as big known "national" or "regional" weekenders / nighters. Not so healthy when "local" events clash for whatever reason.

I've only been to a couple of multi room events and tended to spend more time outside the main room at each event, as I personally prefer the atmosphere of a smaller room and being able to pop up and see what's being played from time to time etc, but that said, it's amazing to then see 1000+ people enjoying themselves in a single massive room now and then.

Your closing comment got me thinking, maybe there ought to maybe an official annual "soul census" or something?! Could maybe sum up in one place how many soul nights running / average numbers attending / average ages / music policy etc etc. We already have this I guess, in the form of Soul Source and all the many different threads and posts on here, but to see something in the same format each time, that captures all this stuff in one easy to read place might be an interesting.....or not!! :D

All the best, Steve :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Best Russ

hey hey russ.....got me hotel room booked already.......just ask that ya play the salvadors 8 times :lol: :lol: :lol:

Social source share

most likely my last post,But just as a matter of interest..what did you all do the weekend, woody drove back from London Friday , went to sleep, we then went up the motorway again, to Worcester (yes it was me spacehopper), listened to some great music, bought some tunage off Des, cos it 75% cheaper aint it. went to bed very late, got up, had some tea, up the motorway again, went an allniter , sold some records, traded, chatted, listened to more music, went home, woody says, we aint stopped,all weekend , cost us a fortune in petrol, knackered on sunday, slept some more. played some records, then he went back up the motorway to london to work on the sunday night. got twenty ponds to my name.

better than watching the shite on TV though aint it :D

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I may well hold you to that Chris if I ever open the Newbury Club again

which is an idea starting to come to mind.

But Russ might be first in the queue!

Best

ROB

Hi Rob

Hope you are well buddy.....working abroad at present so not home that regularly, so promoting anything at the moment has had to take a back seat, as Len mentioned earlier I still have the enthusiasm, but regardless I think there are too many events right now, I;m waiting until I'm working back in the UK or my leave dates back to the UK become a lot more reliable . The Uptown Down South Nighters at Newbury I did in your club were something I feel very proud of.......you & Elaine were always fantastic & brilliantly supportive & you worked tirelessly with regard to the behind the scenes support you always gave...I will be back at some point, but the timing is crucial.

Would love to know what you have in mind with regards to the Newbury club......PM me mate.

Love to Elaine

Best Russ

Edited by Russ Vickers
Social source share