The General State Of Our Beloved Soul Scene

mrs soul

Keeping the playlists fresh is imperative, promoters insist that DJs fit 4 newies into their sets, regardless of what it says on the flyer.

Don't try to "educate" the dancefloor.

Blacklist DJs who rock up 30 minutes before their spot - they should be there from the starting whistle..

Cheers......Pete

Some great ideas there, but who'se gonna 'police' that - these soul police I guess, whoever they are.

And here's a wild idea - don't pay the DJs, only have volunteers. In Australia we do it for a pint, in fact most would pay the promoter for the privelege.

Cheers......Pete

But that's part of the problem here, everyone's a DJ in some places. Too many "volunteers" / pocket money blokes, and venue recirocals "you can do mine if I do yours" - honestly it's like a bloody wife swapping club in some parts of the UK.

Social source share

I am still of the mind that you never had it so good , choice is a good thing , imagine your town with only one PUB , the bitchin side of things is something you will never stamp out ... just keep away from those that bitch and intimidate you.

Points to rememeber -

1.In the main people that go out on mass want to hear Classic Northern soul , you will never entice these people into wanting to go to a rare unknown soul night , they are quite happy doing what they do. And being honest I don't understand the need for the crusade to try and convert these people ? Perhaps I am not fanatical ?

2. People that go out to hear unknown rare cuts have to travel if they are not fortunate to live in "rare soul hot spot" so these people tend to create their own little satalite soul do's where collectors get together and share ... numbers are few , but all enjoy themselves just the same.

These could turn into private members clubs going forward ?

If you want to have a "Standard" monthly rare /unknown soul nighter you will need to organize group 2 to sign up to some sort of membership ( bit like the Scouts/Brownies) to agree to have a ging gang goolie session (POW WOW ) where they all attend to enable them to create a big crowd

Personally the best nights I have had is when only two consenting adults are in the building :)

Love and peace ...

Lets get proactive ... name the most inspiring do you have been to this year ( and it must not be one you promote or Dj at on regular basis )

GRUMPY SOUL !

The long and short of it is the rare/soul fans are the minority ... You may achieve a crowd of 200 at best ... me thinks ..please correct me if I am wrong

Edited by Carms
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

I am still of the mind that you never had it so good , choice is a good thing , imagine your town with only one PUB , the bitchin side of things is something you will never stamp out ... just keep away from those that bitch and intimidate you.

Points to rememeber -

1.In the main people that go out on mass want to hear Classic Northern soul , you will never entice these people into wanting to go to a rare unknown soul night , they are quite happy doing what they do. And being honest I don't understand the need for the crusade to try and convert these people ? Perhaps I am not fanatical ?

2. People that go out to hear unknown rare cuts have to travel if they are not fortunate to live in "rare soul hot spot" so these people tend to create their own little satalite soul do's where collectors get together and share ... numbers are few , but all enjoy themselves just the same.

If you want to have a "Standard" monthly rare /unknown soul nighter you will need to organize group 2 to sign up to some sort of membership ( bit like the Scouts/Brownies) to agree to have a ging gang goolie session (POW WOW ) where they all attend to enable them to create a big crowd

Personally the best nights I have had is when only two consenting adults are in the building :)

Love and peace ...

Lets get proactive ... name the most inspiring do you have been to this year ( and it must not be one you promote or Dj at on regular basis )

GRUMPY SOUL !

The long and short of it is the rare/soul fans are the minority ... You may can a crowd of 200 at best ... me thinks ..please correct me if I am wrong

Without a doubt soul night wise, different strokes.

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Ton of Dynamite room, Gloucester.

Social source share

Points to rememeber -

Love and peace ...

GRUMPY SOUL !

The long and short of it is the rare/soul fans are the minority ... You may achieve a crowd of 200 at best ... me thinks ..please correct me if I am wrong

Hip City Soul, Berlin .... completely mind blowing!! and Solid Hit Soul London :)

Edited by rach
Social source share

How about separating the real deal from the pretenders and promoters sticking on the flyer ovo only so punters can see instantly that they are attending a venue with integrity whether it be popcorn/northern/latin or whatever and how about a plug for soulsource....we get over 200 punters sometimes and about 5 read soulsource.

post-18577-0-09342700-1315937896_thumb.j

Social source share

Doesn't take a genius to work out why the Northern scene is on its arse

1. Too many nights

2. Not enough people

3. Not enough nice people

4. A serious attitude problem

5. An unwillingness to change

Here's an idea to save your scene before it dies a long slow and horrible death

Pick a nice accessible venue not in the middle of nowhere

Advertise well (And by that I mean posters/branding, not just sticking a thread on here

Try the odd free night..I don't think anyone is into this for the money..it might encourage new blood to have a listen/look

Don't look at the aforementioned new blood like something you've just scraped off your shoe when they are unaware of the etiquette/dance moves..everyone started somewhere

This is the best music scene in the world..the only people that are holding it back is you

Something tells me that the majority don't want it ti become popular though..and want to take it..record box and all..kicking and screaming to your graves

You can't have your cake and eat it ;)

Social source share

Oh yeah..and less drugs..noone wants to see someone old enough to be your dad/grandad gurning like a twat

The music is good enough to stand on its own

Put yourself in the shoes of someone outside looking in and tell me what they would think..music aside

Social source share

I don’t think there is much wrong with the Allnighter scene, you always did have each venue presenting their own flavours and for me that is one of the joys.

One of the problems is forums such as Soul Source and facebook that suggests by default that we are some big Happy family who share the love of soul, we may be happy but this is a blurred and far too easily packaged view that really doesn’t represent a scene as complex as ours.

We have many layers within the scene and we are not all joined by our love of soul music like it or not.

I have nothing in common with those who are happy enough to dance to Moses Smith - Girl Across The Street every Friday night yet I find myself rubbing shoulders with those who have little to no understanding or appreciation of what I enjoy each time I log on.

I am not suggesting that people shouldn’t have a voice but you have to take a large pinch of salt when reading views and opinions written by people who either don’t do what I do or that they live so far in the past their views are rose tinted to the extent they are almost blind.

What is the answer?

Personally I love the Northernsoul Scene, I love my allnightrers and I thank the DJ’s, Dancers and promoters who allow me to worship in our church.

Social source share

How about separating the real deal from the pretenders and promoters sticking on the flyer ovo only so punters can see instantly that they are attending a venue with integrity whether it be popcorn/northern/latin or whatever and how about a plug for soulsource....we get over 200 punters sometimes and about 5 read soulsource.

Edited by Russ Vickers
Social source share

How do you know theyre not on SS ?.......just interested.

Russ

Oh yeah..and less drugs..noone wants to see someone old enough to be your dad/grandad gurning like a twat

Put yourself in the shoes of someone outside looking in and tell me what they would think..music aside

I think thats a personal choice & something that is down to the individual.

Russ

Social source share

How do you know theyre not on SS ?.......just interested.

Russ

I think thats a personal choice & something that is down to the individual.

Russ

Doesn't take a genius to work out why the Northern scene is on its arse

1. Too many nights - Agree

2. Not enough people - Agree

3. Not enough nice people - Explain ???

4. A serious attitude problem Explain ???

5. An unwillingness to change Explain ???

Here's an idea to save your scene before it dies a long slow and horrible death

Pick a nice accessible venue not in the middle of nowhere

Advertise well (And by that I mean posters/branding, not just sticking a thread on here

Try the odd free night..I don't think anyone is into this for the money..it might encourage new blood to have a listen/look

Don't look at the aforementioned new blood like something you've just scraped off your shoe when they are unaware of the etiquette/dance moves..everyone started somewhere

This is the best music scene in the world..the only people that are holding it back is you

Something tells me that the majority don't want it ti become popular though..and want to take it..record box and all..kicking and screaming to your graves

You can't have your cake and eat it ;)

Social source share

GRUMPY SOUL !

Carms

It's three for me............

The R n B room at Radcliffe nighter.

Rare & Underplayed Bradford.

Empty Bottle,Leeds.

Cheers

Martyn

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

Not mine Andy no

I tread a different..less trodden path ;-)

then why comment?

however, having said that more power to you. enjoy the path the choose, i do :thumbsup:

Social source share

Explaination ?.

Russ

I rarely listen to any soul these days Russ..I have two young kids and rarely attend soul nighters..and when I do I never venture in the soul rooms..there are bits I like but im an R&B enthusiast..even bits of Rockabilly..and tend to go to those type of dos when I can ;-)

Back on topic..I run a night called 'Out Of The Blue' which has been running 2/3 years now

It used to be held at various venues across Manchester and we have had some brilliant R&B DJs..decent names on the scene come play..we didn't charge much..but still struggled to get punters through the door

Recently we thought feck it..moved to the City Centre..free entry and now it's packed..mostly I add by people who have never heard a rhythm and blues record in their life..all dancing and loving it..what I'm trying to say is the R&B scene is even smaller than the soul scene and something has to give..it's the only way the music can progress..I take great delight in bringing the music to the uneducated..I'm not arsed if they wear the right clothes or dance the right way..so long as they are having a good time..then I'm having a good time

I'm rambling now..but hope I got my point across

Edited by Beeks
Social source share

I don’t think there is much wrong with the Allnighter scene, you always did have each venue presenting their own flavours and for me that is one of the joys.

One of the problems is forums such as Soul Source and facebook that suggests by default that we are some big Happy family who share the love of soul, we may be happy but this is a blurred and far too easily packaged view that really doesn’t represent a scene as complex as ours.

We have many layers within the scene and we are not all joined by our love of soul music like it or not.

I have nothing in common with those who are happy enough to dance to Moses Smith - Girl Across The Street every Friday night yet I find myself rubbing shoulders with those who have little to no understanding or appreciation of what I enjoy each time I log on.

I am not suggesting that people shouldn’t have a voice but you have to take a large pinch of salt when reading views and opinions written by people who either don’t do what I do or that they live so far in the past their views are rose tinted to the extent they are almost blind.

What is the answer?

Personally I love the Northernsoul Scene, I love my allnightrers and I thank the DJ’s, Dancers and promoters who allow me to worship in our church.

simon I dont do allniters and love the oldies so am I a non person with failing eyesight

think theres room for all in the house of soul and each one deserves a bit of respect

cheers b

Social source share

Its always the same on here anyone who,s not happy with attendances at their favourite venues with their own personal flavour of the soul scene, and its doom and gloom.There are plenty of well attended and well run nites thru out the uK,from out and out oldies venues to clubs featureing rare and underplayed soul.The problem is some clubs just dont appeal regardless of who is running or djing at em,which is obviously upsetting for those involved or supporters of these clubs.There will always be clubs springing up here there and everywere,if they arent wanted or supported they will cease to exsist.Just because it doesnt meet the criteria of some on the soul scene,doesnt mean the scene is doomed.Obviously just my personal opinion,but there is a soul scene beyond the pages of ss.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Yes Andy agreed.

I just want to know why so much aggressiveness sometimes

I put my heart on the soul table

I told everyone how I felt

I told everyone my thoughts

I am still as passionate as ever

I still believe in this scene as it stands now

I still love my music

I still get the chill down my spine

I still hope to be doing it for as long as I can

this has gone completely off topic now, I asked a question

no ones answered

every body has posted something and put their view across

but nobody has said what they did the week end , and if you think about it, this is to everybody, its a relevant question

Social source share

Guest SoulNinja

I’ve been on the scene for less than a year so it’s still pretty simple; turn up, pay on the door, and dance all night. I bloody love it. Still only been to one venue and can’t wait to get to others. I’ve taken along three mates who, this time last year, hadn’t been to a soul night before; they loved it, and I’m determined to get others there too.

Social source share

Points to rememeber -

Love and peace ...

GRUMPY SOUL !

I think I agree with all that Carms...................... :thumbsup:

Social source share

hi lou

am passionate about my scene , go out every w/end usually friday and saturday without fail ,attend the odd sunday sessions , do various w/enders going to soul in the sun, hate it when work stops me from going (fortunately not too often)

have a great circle of friends in the scene and have some great times , still eagerly look forward to going somewhere different and every now and then the hairs on the back of my neck stand up as I hear something for the first time,

long may it continue ,

cheers b

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I have to speak as I find, and whilst I've" been involved for a very long time", and have engaged in most of the "sub genres" of our beloved scene, and still respect most... and still collect aforementioned vinyl in particular with regard to such....find my interest once more in wishing to hear particularly the sounds of the sixties that have remained elusive/rarely heard ....in my world anyway! Burnley albeit a long round trip remains my choice niter, but must admit I require so much recovery time, from ANY niter nowadays....... However I must say from a Soul night perspective, my venue of choice whilst still distant Is SHS in Shoreditch,London and must add, that whilst Soul nights may sometimes be put down for whateve......, on a personal note....this nite keeps me looking forward to the next.....And that's what's important to me :yes:

Sorry Lou to diversify, but whereas the scene started out as a "BIG all of us"....Nowadays it's a "smaller some of us".....and seemingly each to his/her own perhaps? Best wilxy

Edited by wilxy
Social source share

best soul nite this year

sandown isle of wight at an impromptu night arranged only the day before at sands hotel where some great friends from the midlands invited us to come and play our cds we took along some good friends from the south all in about 60 people half a dozen dj,s , and had a fantastic night , no bull no grief and no politics , great banter , got pissed and didnt want it to end,and the music was sweet

cheers b

Social source share

What is the answer?

Take note people, this is a proper reply to ALL the posts on this subject, read them all and this is the best.

I am in the "Moses Smith" corner......loved it 30 yrs ago and love it just as much, if not more so today.Myself i am a proper dinosaur when it comes to what i want to hear at a nighter and just because at some venues they play sounds with which we all grew up with.......so what??

Hopefully got Imbers jist in what he was sayin, i think it goes something along the lines of so feckin what, i like this, you like that, but we are both here........pleased to meet you.

Me and Imber had a good natter at Cleethorpes about this very threads subject and i think (hope) we agreed to disagree but with the most important thing left well and truly in place.......RESPECT for another persons view and taste and how people have differing thoughts on what is right and what is wrong.

Darren.

Social source share

out every weekend...mainly in the sw about 60 miles radius of bristol due to £....due to diabetis nowadays i cant drive straight back from niters any further..need to get hotels and have a sleep first otherwise i do it on the motorway which niccis doesnt like!...

last weekend...friday soul at worcester then back home..intended to go straight to bed and go to cardiff a go go on the saturday but a some good friends of ours called and needed rescuing form a shit party so they came over and i think i stopped playing tunes about 4 in the afternoon saturday so didnt go out.....

best night this year not including ones i play at??

bloody hard...impossible infact out of the last radcliffe,a couple of lifelines,bidds on nye or maybe kings hall in july they have a great rare room now remember so best of both worlds!!...if i lived 60 miles more up the m5 i would be a regular at all of em instead of maybe one or two of each a year

ive got things booked for every weekend this year and already penciling in for next...

dean

this weekend...stayin in friday night,record fair early saturday mornin and then soulfusion in gloucester saturday

Social source share

What did I do last weekend

Because I had a very heavy weekend prior to last weekend I decided to have some time off souling , I find this is good for me as it makes me have more of an appetite for the next do I go to . I believe that you can have too much of a good thing and its good to try fasting at times , makes you want it more !

Friday was a very heavy day at work , I was so tired I just wanted to chill out at home , have a nice soak a bottle of wine and chill out...relax

Saturday breakfast at Browns in Manchester a walk around town and then spent the evening listening to sounds at home and having an early night.

This week I have had to cover someone elses work because they are on holiday so I very much needed a clear head approach to Monday , so yes my weekend was tame... but resposible becuase of the type of work I do I really need to be on top form , there is no hiding place in my occupation.

This weekend after a really hard weeks work I am going to do Brighouse Ritz , and I am going to get slightly drunk , love the venue and also seeing some yorky pals that I don't normally see elsewhere, it will be oldies in the main i guess, but I don't mind ..the social side will be grrrrrrreat I ma sure, plus the beer will be cheap.

Saturday its a long trek down to Gloucester ... but it will be worth it , If there is one modern room that does it for me its this one . Evryone down there looks so damn happy its brilliant :) and they really know how to get down .

Passion used to come into it but now other things take priority for me I am afraid ... having a clear head for work , cash , and just general health ... listen to your body it tells you when you need to step back.

I have to admit I am not a slave to it anymore :wink: I cut my cloth to suit my life , and I don't feel the need/obligation to convert anyone into the Church lol each to their own I say

Edited by Carms
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Last weekend stayed in and sulked, have children to consider, but every opportunity I get to go out is taken! Spent Friday night with Kev, playing records till silly O clock and prancing around the lounge to them ... fairly normal Friday night. Besides the weekend before we went to Soul Seekers in Corfe Mullen and then onto Gloucester allnighter and week previous to that LifeLine, so was resting from 2 great nighters, and of course the many miles travelled to reach them!

This week has been all change for Jessica, as she has started a new school 6th form studying her A levels, and Curtis is settling back into school which he finds extremely difficult, due to change .. always a challenge for him, new pupil in class and his support teacher has changed, he was also weaned off his medication during the summer holidays, so was somewhat nervous of how everything would go! Thankfully he has a great week so far and few days last week, not one incident MAJOR breakthrough! As well as looking forward to his 13th Birthday on Monday WOW! where does the time go?

As for this weekend Kev and I are off on another adventure searching for soul, this time to Derby Alnighter, the line up looks great in both rooms, we definitely sway towards the rare room at events .. always great to meet up with like minded people :D who are there for the same reason as us, and so the adventure which is Northern Soul continues, which I may add since I found have never looked back! In fact I LOVE IT

Happy Travelling everyone :thumbup:

Social source share

Guest Dr Pickles

Inspiring venues :

Stoke - I'd never seen that many people dancing to northern and loving it. Great dancers. Used go up on the balcony about 3.00am just to take it all in.

Middleton - These nights changed the way I viewed northern soul. A true epiphany listening to likes of Nick Hackett, John Weston and Flanny.

Move On - so many new records from so many like minded people.

Bidds

Burnley - didn't want to believe the hype for a night 4 hrs away. Took the plunge, was completly out of my depth, but could not get enough of what was being played.

Storming Soul - Barnsley

New Century - when it was at the Stables

Soul or Nothing @ radcliffe - Saw Steve Green and Bob Cornock play in this tiny, dark and sweaty room. Couldn't get on the floor so found a seat in a corner and just soaked it all up.

Doc

Social source share