Modern Music With That Northern Feel?

Guest soulboy1965

Guest soulboy1965

Obviously there's;

Amy's - Black To Black

Paul Weller - No Tears To Cry

The Mood Club - First Born

Frank Popp Ensemble - Catwalk (and I've only just discovered this group)

but are there any others members can recommend?

Social source share

• Replies 22
  • Views 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Of course the correct answer to this is there is none, and the best stuff is Modern Music with a Modern feel, although I suspect I am in a minority here!

Some of the best examples are on here already, but also some of the worst (Ffin Frank Popp, the most appropriate name ever!), I can't see the youtube clips so apologies if on here already but would say Eli Reed is one of the most authentic old school acts out there, Noel McKoy deserves a mention for his performance at Cleggy, being the strongest vocal by far with some retro material and dig a bit further back for some of James Hunter material, although try before you buy.

Enjoy, and throw in a bit of Broken Beat just for something quite old now, but newer than above! :-))

Social source share

When it first started , I thought I was listening to / going to hear " Ton Of Dynamite " :D

THE RYAN HALL TORCH REUNION 2011

SATURDAY OCTOBER 22ND

STILL A FEW TICKETS LEFT PRICED £8.00 EACH

Contact burtonmalc@yahoo.co.uk to arrange purchase & shipping

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

Hi Soul boy skipping around the retro sounding pop music there are still some really good northrny soul thing's coming out by soul artists we sell loads of this kind of thing I'd recomend the followwing ;

1 Charles Bradley Golden rule on Dunham records Soul sam play's this and I heardit played at life line .

2 Sharon Jones I just dropped in ect on Daptone This has to be our best seller on this new take from the Bettye Lavette record.

3 Cesars Salad Afrolypso An amazing piece of contempary jazz soul inst. really close to Ramsey Lewis type trip.

4 Cultures of rhythum Big Shrimp on Tramp same comments as above

5 Budas Band Up from the south on Tramp Again another inst. in a simular vein to harlem rumble.

6 Joe Henry Who is the king on Daptone (2nd) Fantasic modern funk monster.

7 Lucky Brown Don't go away on Tramp Same comments as above .

8 Sharon Jones Why don't we all stop paying taxes Daptone Same comments as above

9 Binky Griptite Mellomatic mood daptone A really frantic piece of modern funk

10.Sunlight square I believe in miracles on sunlight A latin rework of this soul masterpiece.

so there's ten that are new release records in different traditional styles that have a kind of northerny appeal on today's contempary northern tastes regards Simon.

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

Another intresting thing is Peter Lamarr's "under lock and key" on Soul Intention records recorded a couple of years ago at Ascot !! ex Drifter does an intresting 45 of an Ian Levine number .Regards Simon.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!