News: Film: Lost Vinyl Gems Of The 60's Episode 2 Now Online

Pete S

• Replies 23
  • Views 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Looking forward to watching this when I get home (no access tho streaming media/podcasts etc at work unfortunately). Last one was great, and I actually learned a couple of things!

Glad to see The Buckinghams, Slade (didn't Dave Hill live near your nan?), and The Mysterians in there, I'm interested to see what you have to say about them!

Keep up the good work, you never know who's watching.....

:thumbup: :thumbup:

Social source share

Very entertaining - shame about that sticking on the marvelous KNIGHT BROTHERS record! Yeah I would agree, that ELEENA record is without a doubt the best ever british attempt at a bona fide Girly sound, you'd bet money on it being an american record all day...got to be honest as well, the HELEN SHAPIRO one is a nice record, never been keen on her biggie, but had the other one been discovered as an ultra rare Philly record it would be 'hailed'....do you know what PETE, watching this is making me regret selling my 60s pop collection...I had about 5-600 immaculate 45s, a few on here, some rare, some not so rare, just a teally nice collection but succumbed to my ex-Mrs's complaints about records and sold'em over a year to keep her off my back as regards my Soul records...wish I had'em back now...BUCKINGHAMS is a lovely record, very sexy JERRY JACKSON demo... :hatsoff2: Take it 'chocolate rolls' will be on Episode two Part Two?

Social source share

Very entertaining - shame about that sticking on the marvelous KNIGHT BROTHERS record! Yeah I would agree, that ELEENA record is without a doubt the best ever british attempt at a bona fide Girly sound, you'd bet money on it being an american record all day...got to be honest as well, the HELEN SHAPIRO one is a nice record, never been keen on her biggie, but had the other one been discovered as an ultra rare Philly record it would be 'hailed'....do you know what PETE, watching this is making me regret selling my 60s pop collection...I had about 5-600 immaculate 45s, a few on here, some rare, some not so rare, just a teally nice collection but succumbed to my ex-Mrs's complaints about records and sold'em over a year to keep her off my back as regards my Soul records...wish I had'em back now...BUCKINGHAMS is a lovely record, very sexy JERRY JACKSON demo... :hatsoff2: Take it 'chocolate rolls' will be on Episode two Part Two?

Rich to be honest, it's taken me so long to get that shrunk into a manageable size and then split it, I didn't take any notice of where it actually ended! Did you see episode one by the way?

I just intend this to be the visual equivalent of picking up a fanzine to read about records. Everyone loves looking at records, I could just look at pages and pages of them.

Social source share

Rich to be honest, it's taken me so long to get that shrunk into a manageable size and then split it, I didn't take any notice of where it actually ended! Did you see episode one by the way?

I just intend this to be the visual equivalent of picking up a fanzine to read about records. Everyone loves looking at records, I could just look at pages and pages of them.

Yes I did see it, but we were hard into a battle then!

Yeah, it's a good idea...enjoyed them both, now when is Part 2 of Episode 2 on? :hatsoff2:

Social source share

Yes I did see it, but we were hard into a battle then!

Yeah, it's a good idea...enjoyed them both, now when is Part 2 of Episode 2 on? :hatsoff2:

Unfortunately not until monday, unless I pay $59 to upgrade for the year (or $9.99 for the monthly payments - I could do that I suppose)

* means I'll have to do more of them to justify it LOL

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

Rich I have just realised I made a mistake with the Elena record; it's actually recorded by Roulette Records in the States - it even says so on the label but the writing is so small that I didn't actually see it previously! No wonder it sounds so authentic.

f*ck me, what a shame!!!! you know what PETE, i just got back from Rosehill and walked past the old St Helier Hospital where OLLIE REED worked before he became a movie star and I kept thinking about the Brill Building and that bloody record and the sound and thinking where the f*ck did they manage to pull that off in England and how come the bloody birds were not then on every single Columbia/Hmv/Parlophone/Pye record ever made instead of all those other english back up Girls and I just could not square it all - was driving me mad - then I get back in here and you say that lol :thumbup:

Social source share

Always had a soft spot for this one.

Could this track sound any more British!?!

Such a clean production, nothing loose about it at all..'polite' even!

:thumbup:

REGARDS 'The Rat Catchers'....yeah, even the title sounds positively Dickensian.... :yes:

Edited by rich chorley
Social source share

Thanks Pete I've wasted a whole morning watching your excellent Vids. My manager is still hovering..............

Forgot about Lesley Dawson if my memory serves me right Iain Stewart discovered it ( if lt was really that lost :D )

On of his 'junking' trips. And it arrived at Wigan via Al Sazz.....

It brings back great memories of sitting at home on a Saturday evening playing loads of interesting looking British stuff (most of it awful) from the junk shops of East London & funding trips up t'norf on the profits.

Keep up the good work mate much appreciated. :hatsoff2:

Social source share

GREAT STUFF PETE I BOUGHT RATCATCHERS OFF YOU A FEW YEARS AGO ALONG WITH A FEW OTHER BRITISH 45'S,WHERE IS THE LISTING FOR PART TWO OR AM I MISSING SOMETHING

KEV

THESE VIDS WILL COST ME A FORTUNE

I didn't do one I don't think, didn't want to spoil the fun, but just for you..

THE GOLDEN APPLES OF THE SUN – CHOCOLATE ROLLS, TEA AND MONOPOLY – IMMEDIATE

JACKIE DESHANNON – FIND ME LOVE – LIBERTY

BENNY SPELLMAN – FORTUNE TELLER – LONDON DEMO

SISTERS LOVE – I’M LEARNING TO TRUST MY MAN – MOWEST DEMO

KAREN YOUNG – TOO MUCH OF A GOOD THING – MAJOR MINOR

DEE DEE WARWICK – WORTH EVERY TEAR I CRY – MERCURY

LESLEY DAWSON – RUN FOR SHELTER – MERCURY

BROOK BENTON – REVENGE – MERCURY

NITA ROSSI – EVERY LITTLE DAY NOW – PICCADILLY

NITA ROSSI – UNTRUE UNFAITHFUL – PICCADILLY

LEON YOUNG STRINGS – GLAD ALL OVER – PYE DEMO

HUGO MONTENEGRO – SHERRY – ORIOLE

SHEILA CARTER & EPISODE SIX – INCENSE – PYE

NELLA DODDS – COME SEE ABOUT ME – PYE INTERNATIONAL DEMO

NELLA DODDS – FINDERS KEEPERS, LOSERS WEEPERS – PYE INTERNATIONAL

DON CHARLES – THE DRIFTER – PARLOPHONE

BOBBY SHAFTO – THE SAME OLD ROOM – PARLOPHONE DEMO

THE SHANGRI LAS – RIGHT NOW AND NOT LATER – RED BIRD

THE CHANTS – BABY I DON’T NEED YOUR LOVE – RCA

JIMMY CLANTON – HURTING EACH OTHER – STATESIDE DEMO

THE ISLEY BROTHERS – NOBODY BUT ME – STATESIDE

THE CHIFFONS – I GOT PLENTY O’ NUTTIN’ – STATESIDE

JOHN’S CHILDREN – DESDEMONA – TRACK

SAMANTHA JONES – SOMEOBODY ELSE’S BABY – UNITED ARTISTS DEMO

DELANEY BRAMLETT – YOU HAVE NO CHOICE – VOCALION

THE VOLUMES – I JUST CAN’T HELP MYSELF – AMERICAN ARTS DEMO

FREDDIE SCOTT – WHERE DOES LOVE GO – COLPIX DEMO

THE TARTONS – LONELY HEARTACHES - CRAB

Social source share

I'm really grateful for all of your positive comments, I kind of knew people would like to see this sort of thing, maybe it's because it's all totally off the cuff and done live? I never have any idea what I'm going to say until I see the next record, then the cogs start turning and I try to remember something about the artist. The funny thing is, and I've been trying to work out why this is, I could do this all day, it's a piece of cake for me, but put me in the same position behind the decks at a venue and I just can't do it. And I'm not shy - I just can never get comfortable with a mic.

Social source share

HI PETE WELL DONE, AT FIRST I HAD TO CHECK MY RECORDS, IT'S INTERESTING HEARING YOUR VIEWS, THE GOLDEN APPLES OF THE SUN WAS GLEN BELLAMY PLAY AT MARKET HARBOURGH AS WE ARE HALF WAY THE B SIDE IS THE MONEY SIDE AND I LAST PLAYED IT ARTHER BLACK HORSE, NOT BEN ASKED TO DJ SINCE THEN, RUMOR OF A DECCA DEMO? PART 2 AWAITS DAS GOD

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!