Guest miff

• Replies 40
  • Views 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest in town Mikey

I'm pretty sure I remember the live version of "George Benson - On Broadway" getting a few spins back in the late 1970's/early 1980's

Des Parker

I think you are right Des. i've vague memories of Yate, and probably the roundabout as two possibles.

Social source share

T

I'm pretty sure I remember the live version of "George Benson - On Broadway" getting a few spins back in the late 1970's/early 1980's

Des Parker

Think the "live" version is the only one that he cut to vinyl - didn't Dave Evison play it at Wigan ?

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

I'd like to hear Les McCann and Eddie Harris' live version of Compared To What more often. Recorded at the Montreux Jazz Festival.

On the Swiss Movement LP.

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

Des Parker

Played it out a couple of weeks ago to a live crowd in Ibiza and thwacked on my 9/11 New York tribute radio show 11 days ago. The Jimmy Michaels edit of course. A work of art and one of the greatest live recordings I've ever heard.

Both "Joy & Pain" and "The Look In Your Eyes" by Maze are definitive live recordings.

But the best of the lot is Dionne Warwick and Isaac Hayes's live version of Earth, Wind & Fire's "Can't Hide Love". Which is basically unbeatable.

Ian D :D

Social source share

Des Parker

Yeh but is that a live rcording or is it just the one bit live or dubbed on to the track, as the crowd are pretty quiet for the rest of the track ?? great track stll.

Social source share

Des Parker

:yes:

I played it a couple of weeks ago on the Soul Time show on afro-disiac, as a special request to Webby - who aint too over keen on the track :D

Social source share

Guest topcatnumpty1

Back in 1989 Snake Davis and his band had a black female singer--Ebony and they did a great version of Little Ritchie,s --Just Another Heartache -----i bought the c90 Cassette and a well known Leicester chap cut 2x 7,s and these live recordings were played as Little Rita ---an unreleased version and even got written about in Echoes at the time!!

Tony

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

Back in 1989 Snake Davis and his band had a black female singer--Ebony and they did a great version of Little Ritchie,s --Just Another Heartache -----i bought the c90 Cassette and a well known Leicester chap cut 2x 7,s and these live recordings were played as Little Rita ---an unreleased version and even got written about in Echoes at the time!!

Tony

Tony I think Rudzie from Leicester used to play this at Leicester "Holy cross " Soul night's I'm sure he said that it was a singer from Bradford or somewhere who sang in clubs in the north but had died of a drug overdose.This has to be the same recording although not sure how authentic the origins of the story is !!! regards Simon.

Social source share

In the early 70s in the Blackpool area the local midweek soul nights used to play Major Lance "Ain't No Soul" off The Torch album & "The Ghetto" from Donny Hathaway Live was massive in clubs in & around The Fylde Coast - it packed floors too !!!

The Major used to get played at my local youth club late 70s from a Contempo 45 and used to go down Great

Social source share

Guest veep1296

I have played the following which "appear" to be live recordings but I stand correcting of course ......

A little frantic but still a great record in my opinion Arr by The Wiz

Donnie Burkes "Satisfaction Guaranteed " Decca Floor clearer! :ohmy:

The Perigents " Lets Get into Something" Maltese So long ago I cannot remember.. :g:

DF I will get my coat !....

Social source share

Tony

now then tony are we talking about the unissued roshell anderson version here

Social source share

James Brown ' there was a time ' of the king lp [ well a good slug of it if not all of it ], has gone down well at Soul Nights @ Bridgwater in the last few years

does this qualify - I've always believed that was a real live recording not studio enhanced

pete

4mins of class from Live at the Apollo Vol 2 Album played at the rev in Sutton late 6ts and played by me ever since great song

Social source share

James Brown ' there was a time ' of the king lp [ well a good slug of it if not all of it ], has gone down well at Soul Nights @ Bridgwater in the last few years

does this qualify - I've always believed that was a real live recording not studio enhanced

pete

Actually my previous statement above was incorrect. Many apologies. The greatest live performance of all time is obviously James Brown's "There Was A Time".

When I first heard this out circa 1972 (in the Funk clubs and good local nights), it really changed my life. I think I knew the Gene Chandler version first, but that never actually did much for me. When I heard the James Brown original live version it knocked me out. It's a king hell bastard performance.

So great call Ricticman! James Brown's "There Was A Time" surely must be the greatest ever live recording played out. Can anything else even get close?

Social source share

pete

Actually my previous statement above was incorrect. Many apologies. The greatest live performance of all time is obviously James Brown's "There Was A Time".

When I first heard this out circa 1972 (in the Funk clubs and good local nights), it really changed my life. I think I knew the Gene Chandler version first, but that never actually did much for me. When I heard the James Brown original live version it knocked me out. It's a king hell bastard performance.

So great call Ricticman! James Brown's "There Was A Time" surely must be the greatest ever live recording played out. Can anything else even get close?

Social source share

i'm pretty sure the version of 'these boots' by ella fitzgerald i have is a live recording

it definitely says so on the 45, Ive had great results with this one but am giving it a (short) rest for now :thumbsup:

Social source share

Very very cool Matt, made my thursday night

I'd like to hear Les McCann and Eddie Harris' live version of Compared To What more often. Recorded at the Montreux Jazz Festival.

On the Swiss Movement LP.

made my night as well great post!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!