Volcanos - Laws Of Love

Patto

Sorry to inflict everyone with another thread about this.After reading through the previous threads was it ever definitely stated that the whitish labels with blue text were later re-issues.Over the years think i have seen equally as many blueish tinged ones as clear whites.The Whites are always cheaper Why?.Like i said its all been covered before but i'm still confused as to the evidence that says they are not done at the same time ie whites later.Here is a scan of my White issue by the way.

post-8522-0-95751900-1316901132_thumb.jp

Social source share

Sorry to inflict everyone with another thread about this.After reading through the previous threads was it ever definitely stated that the whitish labels with blue text were later re-issues.Over the years think i have seen equally as many blueish tinged ones as clear whites.The Whites are always cheaper Why?.Like i said its all been covered before but i'm still confused as to the evidence that says they are not done at the same time ie whites later.Here is a scan of my White issue by the way.

:hatsoff2: HI That copy loks fine to me, there is a boot that sort of looks right, when you are at an ALL-NIGHTER but at home you can tell. it's not like the MIKE N IKE - BOOT, 1ST pressings and 2nd presings are prety easy to tell from bootlegs 2nd pres have a darker blue background, still worth haveing, the laws of love DEMO is a very rare record indeed, one for the big boys me thinks :g: DAVE

Social source share

Both the white label, and the blue tint label are reissues - an original looks like any other arctic issue. I think the reason for the price difference for these two reissues is that until recently a lot of us (myself included) thought the blue tint copies were the real deal - They are not.

Cheers

Mick

Thanks Mike but when did this recent discovery on the re-issues take place,and you see my confusion when Dave recons mine is a good un.Hear this getting played out a lot and not on the rare Demos so most DJs are spinning the re-issues then.Also if you now know the tinted ones are re-issues what about the white ones why are both re -issues with two different label colours and same dead wax markings.Sorry again its a minefield i know beginning to say sod it like everyone else and just play any of the copies.

Social source share

It's pretty difficult to pin down a lot of Jaimie Guyden stuff because it's always been pretty active in pressing it's catalogue from the 60's onward and always had good connections with the UK in terms of exporting it's wares - I remember Global in Manchester having loads of Arctic releases - Volcanoes records were on their wholesale lists at one point - I think I remember 'em selling "Help Wanted" for a £1 at the time and there were no shortage of copies. They'd use the same stamper and similar labels for subsequent represses across all their labels - Dionne, Jamie, Arctic, Top & Bottom, Phil-LA Of Soul etc, etc. If you think about Jaimie Guyden have always been pretty quick on the reissue button all the way back to "A Love You Can Depend On" and "Don't Stop Looking".

By weird coincidence, Frank Lipsius (owner of Jaimie Guyden) was in town this week. He's an anglophile so he's always been aware of the interest in the UK..........

Ian D :D

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Thanks Mike but when did this recent discovery on the re-issues take place,and you see my confusion when Dave recons mine is a good un.Hear this getting played out a lot and not on the rare Demos so most DJs are spinning the re-issues then.Also if you now know the tinted ones are re-issues what about the white ones why are both re -issues with two different label colours and same dead wax markings.Sorry again its a minefield i know beginning to say sod it like everyone else and just play any of the copies.

Well for me it was probably about a year ago I got to know about it. We had been having these threads and discussions for what seemed forever, seconded only by the relentless Epitome Of Sound questions. I think there is one of the Volcanos thread that has the real scan.

As to the deadwax, as I've explained in previous threads - there is a difference and I don't know why.

A single sided demo (Rules or Laws, makes no difference) has the A side deadwax of .. A-VOL-5- A

Both the White and Blue Tint reissues have the very same A side deadwax of .. A-VOL-5- A

Except they are NOT the same.

The A-VOL-5- is identical, no question there - it's the very last character "A" that is different.

On the reissues, the "A" is spaced normally, about the same as the opening "A" on A-VOL

On Original Demo the the "A" is squashed up to about half the width of the reissue.

(I would assume that an original issue would be the same as this, but cannot confirm.)

It has just occured to me that the "5" followed by a dash (consitent throughout various issues of this record) looks more like an "s" and dash and is actually just a "5" with the top line offset.

Hope that clears up the deawax. It would be great is someone who had both could photograph these deadwax markings, as a picture would make it obvious.

Cheers

Mick

Social source share

Why are the cheaper - because they came out in 1974 or 5. The blue and whites like that scan have always been regarded as first bootlegs then reissues. I'd be interested to see pic of a blue label reissue next to a blue label original.

Social source share

Sorry to diversify a bit , I've just put a 'Storm Warning' on ebay and I bought this as an original but does the same critrea

apply to this ? It has A-VOL-3 and Virtue scratched in also . I put that I assume it's an original but don't want to be trying to sell something that ain't.

Cheers

Swifty :thumbsup:

Social source share

Why are the cheaper - because they came out in 1974 or 5. The blue and whites like that scan have always been regarded as first bootlegs then reissues. I'd be interested to see pic of a blue label reissue next to a blue label original.

So would I because I still cannot work out whether the one you sold me is an original or a reissue :g::lol:

Edited by rich chorley
Social source share

Well if I described it as an original, I'd expect it to be one, and if I did and it's not - I'd give you your money back!

I know you would mate, we talked about it before and neither of us were sure in the end, going to have to dig it out when I get back from holiday and look at all this stuff, just recall last time we did this somebody posted some photos which were a very vivid blue but think he did that himself (painted it) for some reason, the one you sold me is light blue but I would like to see an image of what the supposed didfference is between a 'blue' original and a 'blue tint' reisssue, that's confusing me....The one you sold me just looks like other arctic releases, BARBAR MASON 45s etc,...

Social source share

From what I remember about the Arctic stuff when I worked at Global is that they were a bit thinner and lighter than 60s pressings . This could have been due to the hike in vinyl prices caused by the oil crisis of the mid 70s . One result of this was a lot more than usual came back from shops as warped. Also they were always in plain white sleeves whereas 60s ones were often but not always in Jamie Guyden sleeves.

Rick

Social source share

:hatsoff2: HI That copy loks fine to me, there is a boot that sort of looks right, when you are at an ALL-NIGHTER but at home you can tell. it's not like the MIKE N IKE - BOOT, 1ST pressings and 2nd presings are prety easy to tell from bootlegs 2nd pres have a darker blue background, still worth haveing, the laws of love DEMO is a very rare record indeed, one for the big boys me thinks :g: DAVE

Wasn't the demo a one-sided thing only, with B side blank ? :g:

Social source share

Guest enchantedrythm

the demo copies with "The Rules of love" on them are true originals, the rest are just reissues by Artic, after the horse has bolted, in various guises, the two sided demos state vocal/inst dont they, not like artics majority releases, inst sides only as a,s are few (mike & Ike-sax on the trax). Mine has Rules crossed out, and Laws ink pen written over the top. As with a lot of artic demo's there is nothing on the other side, just a rough sandpaper effect. All the copies ive seen, some have not had rules crossed out, are water damaged in various states. I bought mine in 74 for £4-KRoberts, after the initial reissue/boots first appeared. Im sure too there was a copy with Ed Bishops name in pen written to one side, again with rules crossed out.

Social source share

the demo copies with "The Rules of love" on them are true originals, the rest are just reissues by Artic, after the horse has bolted, in various guises, the two sided demos state vocal/inst dont they, not like artics majority releases, inst sides only as a,s are few (mike & Ike-sax on the trax). Mine has Rules crossed out, and Laws ink pen written over the top. As with a lot of artic demo's there is nothing on the other side, just a rough sandpaper effect. All the copies ive seen, some have not had rules crossed out, are water damaged in various states. I bought mine in 74 for £4-KRoberts, after the initial reissue/boots first appeared. Im sure too there was a copy with Ed Bishops name in pen written to one side, again with rules crossed out.

post-4408-0-96941000-1317044229.jpg

post-4408-0-84707300-1317044242_thumb.jp

Pay yours money and takes your choice......................

Social source share

:hatsoff2: HI ALL, After going through all my ARCTIC RECORDS and also a few J/G VIRTUE Pressed records, it seems there is a pattern to them, all originals will have virtue on and 180 degrees will have the hand written matrix info, reissues there will Bean extra letter, any thing that is not in line, 45, 90, 135. 180. 225. 270. 315. 360 degree's on most records world wide indicates to me, it's dodgy! big corporation's take pride on what they want there product is, and this is so true in the music industry, Thats why collecting rare soul is so addictive, for example who in their right minds would hold back and destroy the FRANK WILLIAMS RELEASE! but they did because of standards in the corporation, if they had known about the taste of the UK market and it's loe for up tempo soul, they would of capitalized on it, the UK soul scene was not an oldies scene as we know today most records released in the UK at the time where at best 6 months old and the up-tempo soul was 2 to 4 years old, to-days dance scenes how old a record is does not matter any more, it's a different world now. but back then the standards where high and aimed at money making not at making a loss,

I have 5 different Arctic labels from darkish blue and black writing to what i know clearly what is an original 1st press, more info from collectors of US SOUL is needed to help as I am no expert, but would like to know more.

I always look for the symmetry in the run of Grove as a starting point to identify the genuine from fake, it applies here with all J/G VIRTUE pressings? :g: DAVE

Social source share

Almost bought a RULES a couple of years back at Cleethorpes for £200 but the guy in front of me got to it 1st :ohmy: I still have my LAWS....The single sided demo`s are what to go for if you want a definate original. :thumbsup:

post-7917-0-54540000-1317731796_thumb.jp

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Mr.Grumpy.Wait till the Mirwood thread starts. :lol: .

Nothing grumpy about what I said or me Kev. Just a simple fact we seem to be going round in circles and the more that is said the more confusion there seems to be. Maybe we should have a different topic for Arctic and cover all the issues and reissues etc.

It would certainly make life easier with decent 300dpi and 400 x 400 scans with matrix details.

There is even confusion in this topic with "you're number 1" now to add to it.

Social source share

Nothing grumpy about what I said or me Kev. Just a simple fact we seem to be going round in circles and the more that is said the more confusion there seems to be. Maybe we should have a different topic for Arctic and cover all the issues and reissues etc.

It would certainly make life easier with decent 300dpi and 400 x 400 scans with matrix details.

There is even confusion in this topic with "you're number 1" now to add to it.

I know you're not really grumpy Chalky.But you can't have enough info on these subjects,plus as you get older the memory goes.

Social source share

I know you're not really grumpy Chalky.But you can't have enough info on these subjects,plus as you get older the memory goes.

I agree Kev you can't have enough info but don't you think it's time we got the right info on this subject by now? Lets see some decent scans and info or the disc and clear up the confusion that surrounds this record.

Social source share

OK, I've explained the deadwax differences in post #7, but that still needs photographs - which I can't do. Until someone can put up photos, here's the next best thing.

I've recreated both deadwax markings by hand and scanned them.

post-4623-0-50087100-1317875241_thumb.jp

Original - from single sided Demo (either Laws or Rules)

post-4623-0-06520000-1317875311_thumb.jp

Reissue / Boot

This is as close to a genuine representation as I can do at 5:30 in the morning, but as I keep saying, it is only the last "A" that is different, also it's spacing, as hopefully you can see. The rest of it is identical.

Cheers

Mick

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Social source share

The demo with title of ' It's against the RULES of love ' easily the rarest one, don't think there is much to choose between the demo's and issues of 'Against the laws of love ' originals, seen plenty of those one-sided demo's in my time - issues possibly just as rare / not rare (if you get my meaning) ! Still a classic northern Philly great.

Social source share

"Help wanted" / "A lady's man" looks the same as Chalky's scan of Storm Warning.(first issue).

"Help Wanted" text,slightly less defined,and paler, than the text on "A Lady's Man".

HW in run out... A - VOL - 4

ALM in run out...A - VOL - 7.

Thoughts.....?

Edited by KevH
Social source share

• 1 month later...

I've read this thread about 3 times and I'm still not 100% clear.

post-4408-0-88987100-1322161190_thumb.jp

post-4408-0-58199600-1322161203_thumb.jp

Guess I'll just have to wonder.............................

ps these are actually blue;

My info which I took from SS a while back is either to go for the vinyl white demos with black writing and molded labels......or in the case of issues - light blue label with dark blue writing with molded labels on vinyl.

These 2 types are as far as I know are the genuine first press demos and issues.....anything else are either boots or re-presses.

Social source share

My info which I took from SS a while back is either to go for the vinyl white demos with black writing and molded labels......or in the case of issues - light blue label with dark blue writing with molded labels on vinyl.

These 2 types are as far as I know are the genuine first press demos and issues.....anything else are either boots or re-presses.

Thank you Dennis for such a straight forward answer :thumbsup:

What an issue worth nowadays ?

Chris L

Social source share

• 1 month later...
Guest fleetwoodsoul

bought single sided demo only to be told it was a boot as the last A was normal and not squashed up a bito so much for boot guide on laws of love

Social source share

bought single sided demo only to be told it was a boot as the last A was normal and not squashed up a bito so much for boot guide on laws of love

I don't think there is a boot of the one sided demo, someone else showed me one that he'd been told was a boot just last week and it was a definite original

Social source share

I don't think there is a boot of the one sided demo, someone else showed me one that he'd been told was a boot just last week and it was a definite original

Yep!

Social source share

£4 eh....I insist you sell it me back.

It would have been Jimmy Bishop as he owned Arctic in the 60's.

Arctic was one label I had multiple stock on most titles, largely supplied by the old Chips team Ed Gilreath, Alex Araco and Weldon Mcdougal.

KR

Social source share

OK, I've explained the deadwax differences in post #7, but that still needs photographs - which I can't do. Until someone can put up photos, here's the next best thing.

I've recreated both deadwax markings by hand and scanned them.

post-4623-0-50087100-1317875241_thumb.jp

Original - from single sided Demo (either Laws or Rules)

post-4623-0-06520000-1317875311_thumb.jp

Reissue / Boot

This is as close to a genuine representation as I can do at 5:30 in the morning, but as I keep saying, it is only the last "A" that is different, also it's spacing, as hopefully you can see. The rest of it is identical.

Cheers

Mick

so now people are saying that they have single sided demos with both types of "A"! Throws this argument out the window, will this topic ever be sorted!?! :g::ohmy::D

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!