Volcanos - Laws Of Love

Patto

so now people are saying that they have single sided demos with both types of "A"! Throws this argument out the window, will this topic ever be sorted!?! :g::ohmy::D

Don't know - if it's a different matrix to any other original Test Demo with the squashed A, then it suggests a different or later press.

Can whoever has it put up a label scan ??

I never mentioned this before, as it would have confused the situation, but I have a Test Press of the Voc / Inst with the reissue matrix as previously described. It's undoubtedly from the early 70's, as the matrix has the normal 'A'. I had never seen or heard of this until last year. (I mean 2010 !)

Social source share

• 1 year later...
On 10/8/2011 at 15:27, rotherham soul said:

Regarding the first and second issues is there any difference with the run in grooves as my copy has this label but very narrow run-in grooves

The Matrix reads A - VOL - 5 -A   LW     Virtue  on the Laws Vocal side

"         "         "       A - VOL -( 6 scratched out) 5B  LW    Virtue   Instrumental side

All the info i've given on this run out is etched in 

The only difference to the other posts on this thread is no one has mentioned the LW addition in the run out  :g:

This is for the Blue tint White issue record Blue lettering ,shiny paper label

atb Kev :hatsoff2:  

Edited by Kev John
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

the demo copies with "The Rules of love" on them are true originals, the rest are just reissues by Artic, after the horse has bolted, in various guises, the two sided demos state vocal/inst dont they, not like artics majority releases, inst sides only as a,s are few (mike & Ike-sax on the trax). Mine has Rules crossed out, and Laws ink pen written over the top. As with a lot of artic demo's there is nothing on the other side, just a rough sandpaper effect. All the copies ive seen, some have not had rules crossed out, are water damaged in various states. I bought mine in 74 for £4-KRoberts, after the initial reissue/boots first appeared. Im sure too there was a copy with Ed Bishops name in pen written to one side, again with rules crossed out.

The demos with the incorrect spelling, the correct spelling and the original blue issues are all originals!.  All part of the initial promotion or release.

If you want to split hairs, the issue copy is the only true original as it the only record for release to the public!

Edited by Guest
Social source share

so now people are saying that they have single sided demos with both types of "A"! Throws this argument out the window, will this topic ever be sorted!?! g.gifohmy.pngbiggrin.png

My single sided demo from Soul Bowl has a normal A (not squashed).

My original blue issue from John Manship has exactly the same markings as the demo and a normal A (not squashed).

There could have been more than one pressing master disc so the lettering could be slightly different.

Atlantic used four different pressing plants so how many master discs did they have for each release?

Edited by Guest
Social source share

• 10 months later...
Guest Chris J Cooper

Phew took some reading did that lot and not figured it yet can I just say my Demo does have a squashed A plus the numbers as does my blueish copy. They both have Virture as well but both copies have a tiny LM scrathed in is this of any significance rethe blueish one being a re issue or issue. .

Social source share

Funnily enough I was out with Frank Lipsius (owner of Jamie-Guyden) today as he's in town for a week. I'll ask him when I see him tomorrow. My guess is that Jamie-Guyden have always pressed to demand and will no doubt have used several plants for small pressing runs on hundreds of singles over the years. Frank even showed me some old Duane Eddy Jamie 45's which have been in the basement for years but which he's re-sleeved for Record Store day 2014! These guys are the kings of re-cycling so good luck to anyone trying to sort this out! I gave up trying by 1975.......

Ian D :D

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Funnily enough I was out with Frank Lipsius (owner of Jamie-Guyden) today as he's in town for a week. I'll ask him when I see him tomorrow. My guess is that Jamie-Guyden have always pressed to demand and will no doubt have used several plants for small pressing runs on hundreds of singles over the years. Frank even showed me some old Duane Eddy Jamie 45's which have been in the basement for years but which he's re-sleeved for Record Store day 2014! These guys are the kings of re-cycling so good luck to anyone trying to sort this out! I gave up trying by 1975.......

Ian D :D

I'd have thought most 45s that were released on Jamie Guyden owned labels as opposed to the labels it simply distributed were manufactured at their own plant surely? 

Please pass on my regards to Frank and assure him that the pdf of The Arctic Chapter I promised is being nailed down/edited 'as we speak'.

Regards,

Dave

PS. Every original single 45 and LP on the Arctic imprint will be shown in the upcoming book Philly Soul: It's Roots And History. I think this is the first time that's ever been done.   :thumbsup:

Social source share

Thanks Mike but when did this recent discovery on the re-issues take place,and you see my confusion when Dave recons mine is a good un.Hear this getting played out a lot and not on the rare Demos so most DJs are spinning the re-issues then.Also if you now know the tinted ones are re-issues what about the white ones why are both re -issues with two different label colours and same dead wax markings.Sorry again its a minefield i know beginning to say sod it like everyone else and just play any of the copies.

I remember ordering a Laws of Love from Soul Bowl some years ago..cost £10....a single sided "Rules Of Love" came through the post..well pleased

Edited by john parker
Social source share

Manships price guide 4th edition

Teddy and the Fingerpoppers... Soul Groove... light blue label blue text... £75

Teddy and the Fingerpoppers... Soul Groove... light blue label black text.. £25

Manships price guide 6th edition

Both labels.... £75 ???

Can't seem to fathom this, is the black text a second issue or what, if so then why explain the same price in 6th edition, is the price a mistake in edition 4 ?

Social source share

Manships price guide 4th edition

Teddy and the Fingerpoppers... Soul Groove... light blue label blue text... £75

Teddy and the Fingerpoppers... Soul Groove... light blue label black text.. £25

Manships price guide 6th edition

Both labels.... £75 ???

Can't seem to fathom this, is the black text a second issue or what, if so then why explain the same price in 6th edition, is the price a mistake in edition 4 ?

I Have the light Blue label with Black text.There is also an issue with Blue Text on one side and Black text on the other.I am lead to believe that all the issues are originals done around 1969.The Blue text one is probably the first run but who knows for sure i certainly dont so im happy to play my copy

Edited by Patto
Social source share

I Have the light Blue label with Black text.There is also an issue with Blue Text on one side and Black text on the other.I am lead to believe that all the issues are originals done around 1969.The Blue text one is probably the first run but who knows for sure i certainly dont so im happy to play my copy

Hi Patto. It was only 2 or 3 month back you put a want on SS for this, but you'd only pay for the original,

it had me thinking?? Mine is the same as yours so what are they classed as... original second issues ?

Social source share

Hi Patto. It was only 2 or 3 month back you put a want on SS for this, but you'd only pay for the original,

it had me thinking?? Mine is the same as yours so what are they classed as... original second issues ?

Hi Mate

Well i would class the Black Text ones as originals,possibly second run.But as i say who knows and where does the Blue Text One side Black Other fit in.The Fact that Manship prices them similar indicates the same.Arctics are a Nightmare

Social source share

Hi Mate

Well i would class the Black Text ones as originals,possibly second run.But as i say who knows and where does the Blue Text One side Black Other fit in.The Fact that Manship prices them similar indicates the same.Arctics are a Nightmare

Do you know, there was none of this Milarky (is that spelt right?) with British, God knows why the Yanks baffled us with all their tampering :g:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 3 years later...
Guest UPTITE U250A

Can someone confirm,as I suspect somewhat,what is the bootleg looking like and what/how is in the run out groove as compared to an original copy of Storm Warning.The reason I ask is because some years ago I recieved a packet from the US with an off-white/almost cream coloured Storm Warning.That is,the background of the label.The printing is all dark blue.It has the Virtue stamp.The matrix is with A,a space then a tiny -,and VOL,space,larger -,space3.Also,the "O" in Vol is not joined at the top,looking almost like a "U".

And the other side "Baby",the whole thing seems slightly more faded in colour(unless it's my imagination playing tricks on me).I read the topic about Global....but as I said at the start,this disc came from the US....

Thanks for any input if anyone cares to comment !

Social source share

I have the one sided demo of both 'Laws' of Love and Storm Warning. The scratched in letters on the both are 180 degrees past or opposite the virtue marking, but have different size lettering scratched in. Tried to capture this to post on here but can't get a clear enough image of either. Will try again in daylight.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!