Bill Doggett & His Combo..."soda Pop" Hear It - Opinions Please

Guest taylormadesoul

Guest taylormadesoul

BILL DOGGETT & HIS COMBO - SODA POP..... b/w....HAM FAT

US COLUMBIA ..RADIO STATION COPY 4-42689.....JZSP 58862

bought this blind yesterday at a local carboot £2

after givin it a spin...not really my bag.. although its not a bad little track really.......

full of organ sounds etc......

very "mod" , r n b , IMO

cant find out anything about it........

maybe the r n b crew know ??????

could any of you guys give anymore info on it.......

thanks guys..............................

Edited by taylormadesoul
Social source share

• Replies 13
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I don't actually know the record you refer to, or when it was issued. Bill Doggett was the organist who recorded the original of Honky Tonk in the 50s on the King label I think, one of the big instrumentals of the rock'n'roll era, and led to loads of similar sounding tracks.

He originally played with Louis Jordan and the Tympany Five.

Any chance of posting up a sound file please?

Social source share

Yep, that's the same guy who did "Honkey Tonk", "Honky Tonk Popcorn", "Sophisticated Soul", "Funky Whistler", etc.

The "Ham Fat" single is decent, but for his Columbia sides, I heavily favor "The Worm". If is hasn't been done by this evening, I can post sound files of "Soda Pop" and "Ham Fat"

Social source share

Yep, that's the same guy who did "Honkey Tonk", "Honky Tonk Popcorn", "Sophisticated Soul", "Funky Whistler", etc.

The "Ham Fat" single is decent, but for his Columbia sides, I heavily favor "The Worm". If is hasn't been done by this evening, I can post sound files of "Soda Pop" and "Ham Fat"

don't know much of his stuff but I do have a copy of the worm backed with an amazingly groovy hammond version of fingertips, it's a european press on columbia I think, and in a pic sleeve. Have another 45 by him on sue which is very dull (title escapes me)... any other sides worth tracking down by Bill from a hammond loving perspective?? I'd be interested in hearing these two as well Brian, don't know them.

Martin

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

don't know much of his stuff but I do have a copy of the worm backed with an amazingly groovy hammond version of fingertips, it's a european press on columbia I think, and in a pic sleeve. Have another 45 by him on sue which is very dull (title escapes me)... any other sides worth tracking down by Bill from a hammond loving perspective?? I'd be interested in hearing these two as well Brian, don't know them.

Martin

/quote]

He did one on Sue called Bacon Fat that I like (think thats by him). He is also on some Jr Parker and Bobby Bland tracks on Duke, probably quite a few other backing tracks of the era feature him. His mid sixties Verve stuff is okay as well. The Honky Tonk Popcorn stuff may be up your street.

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

I've never heard "soda pop" , I have a few singles on King but he recorded for a number of labels including Roulette and Harmony, if I'm not mistaken he was also organist for Arthur Prystock on Verve.

The album I have by Bill & combo is entitled "fingertips" sells for around £30 on Columbia , a bit of a drab affair really , but one of the titles "hot fudge monkey " is an eye catcher !

"Funky whistler" is a good track and appeared on the Blue Note compliations that surfaced in the early 90's

Btw - " The Worm" is this a reworking of the more famous Jimmy Mcgriff standard ?

Edited by Richard Bergman
Social source share

I've never heard "soda pop" , I have a few singles on King but he recorded for a number of labels including Roulette and Harmony, if I'm not mistaken he was also organist for Arthur Prystock on Verve.

The album I have by Bill & combo is entitled "fingertips" sells for around £30 on Columbia , a bit of a drab affair really , but one of the titles "hot fudge monkey " is an eye catcher !

"Funky whistler" is a good track and appeared on the Blue Note compliations that surfaced in the early 90's

Btw - " The Worm" is this a reworking of the more famous Jimmy Mcgriff standard ?

actually it's coming back to me now and I think I actually have said LP and recall it being really disappointing (probably why I didn't remember having it!)

Stuart- yes, bacon fat is the sue 45, but the mid 60's verve albums sound very interesting and I shall investigate further.... cheers :shhh:

Love a bit of hammond, me, and a bit of vibes as well if truth be told whistling.gif

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Love a bit of hammond, me, and a bit of vibes as well if truth be told :shhh:

Me too whistling.gif Got a room full of Jimmy Smith, Larry Young, Johnny Lytle and the like. And the LP covers are normally really nice to look at too.

Social source share

Guest taylormadesoul

please post sound files to both of these , im not able to do so at the mo....

thanks guys for the info.......

must admit the soda pop track is a real grower

Social source share

Guest taylormadesoul

Well, after languishing in my collection, neglected, I dug this one out tonight and wouldn't you know, but my memory has failed me once again. taylormadesoul is exactly right and I too prefer "Soda Pop".

Enjoy....

Soda Pop (real audio)

Ham Fat (real audio)

a great little tune.............. ranting_1.gif

thanks for posting sound.............

Edited by taylormadesoul
Social source share

a great little tune.............. :yes:

thanks for posting sound.............

Nice sound :P I've a couple by the group..One is on King and it is a nice instrumental of the James Brown classic "Night Train"..The other is on UK Warner bros and is called "The Hully Gully Twist" which I bought blind as it is listed as a Brazenose St Twisted Wheel sound in the book CENtral 1179 Twisted Wheel story...Its a Hammond and Sax lead tune punctuated with very smooth vocals...like "lets do the Hully Gully" and ends with the words "thats right" a strange but addictive tune that once heard, stays in your head all day! :thumbsup:

Oggie.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert