Rance Allen - Showdown

• Replies 30
  • Views 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I've got it on an album,

Its called: Stax Northern Disco Sounds (STXB 3002)

The tracks on it are as follows:

Side 1

At Last by The Temprees

Happy by William Bell

Wade In The Water by Little Sonny

Friday Night by Johnnie Taylor

There's Gonna Be A Showdown by Rance Allen

Free For All by Mel & Tim

Side 2

You Need A Friend Like Mine by Annette Thomas

Oh La De Da by The Staple Singers

Bet You I Win by Little Milton

That's The Story Of My Life by Major Lance

Chains Of Love by Jimmy Hughes

The Right Track by Jones & Blumberg

Medicine Bend by Margie Joseph

It dates from 1975 and there's sleevenotes from Ian Dewhirst on it. There's also a mention for the album 'Stax Southern Disco Sounds', which I've never seen.

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

It's also included on the new Stax compilation from the German Stax reissue label "I believe that the whole damn world is going crazy" a quality CD btw if you like your soul on the crossover side ;o)))

John

Social source share

sure recently had this version "showdown" pass thru on a double sided us "goldie oldie" type of atlantic re-issue

that stax lp - nothern disco has to be one of the contendors for one of worse northern comp lp covers ever - memory says the southern disco one featured a similar southern style version photo,

Social source share

You will find that Archie Bell covered it on Atlantic as a type of "dance" showdown with the words changed from Rance Allen version.

Both good tracks but Rance Allen wins due to the harmony of vocals. Great to see it getting the plays nowadays.

H.

Social source share

You will find that Archie Bell covered it on Atlantic as a type of "dance" showdown with the words changed from Rance Allen version.

Both good tracks but Rance Allen wins due to the harmony of vocals. Great to see it getting the plays nowadays.

H.

Yaaaaaaa. I know. Got one. Rance Allen is one of those tracks that makes the hair on the back of you neck stand up, and far better than Archie's cover... Whoever the hell Archie is... Never heard of him...

Social source share

Yaaaaaaa. I know. Got one. Rance Allen is one of those tracks that makes the hair on the back of you neck stand up, and far better than Archie's cover... Whoever the hell Archie is... Never heard of him...

Pity, trying to get rid of one,lol

Social source share

Guest Adam G

H.

I thought that Archie Bell did the original? and was later redone ala gospel by Rance and the boys.

Truth is marching on is my favourite Rance Allen track this week

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Truth is marching on is my favourite Rance Allen track this week

Good Call Adam a fantastic stomper of a record a good one to look out for and cheap as chips too did you know it charted in the US was one of his more successful records apparently

JoT

Social source share

Guest Adam G

Good Call Adam a fantastic stomper of a record a good one to look out for and cheap as chips too did you know it charted in the US was one of his more successful records apparently

JoT

Rightly so how it hasnt been sampled by some hipply hopply whizkid producer I dont know.

Social source share

Surely Archie Bell did the original didn't he? I could be wrong (not for the first time!) but didn't it pre-date the Rance Allen thing by a couple of years?

Archie wins it anyway, hands down. But then I've been a sucker for his voice and those great G&H productions ever since I was a baby!

Social source share

Guest LeoLyxxx

Other great tracks by R.A.G.

"reasons" (Columbia?)

"ain't no need of crying" (Truth)

"i know a man who" (Truth album track)

"showdown" is deffo by Archie Bell first hand..

best

Leo

Social source share

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I've got the two version somehwere. I played The Rance Allen Group at the Caledonia and Goodfoot. There's gonna be a Showdown was written by Kenny Gamble and Leon Huff for Archie Bell.It was released in 1969.

Rance Allen and his brothers recorded it in the seventies. They got lost when Stax went bust and they returned to gospel

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!