Recommended Record Of The Day, From Your Collection 2011

dthedrug

Guest soulboy1965

Back from a fantastic 4 days in Mull (Eagles, Buzzards & Falcons in abundance), so here's mine for today.

Slow to start but what a double sider.

Barbara Banks - Sonny Boy (flip to Night Time Feeling)

Social source share

:hatsoff2: HI I totally agree with that one, 2 great sides, and one of the first US imports that I had?

:thumbsup: My latest record out of my box? no I am sober. I played down the phone (as you do!} is a forgottenn jem on the B side of the MOD CLASSIC "back to Georgia". "I'm a lonely boy" has all theingredientss to be a top play on todays scene, PYE INTERNATIONAL 7N35239 RATED ***** VALUE £40-50 ISSUE, DEMO?? However I got a cop last week of Ebay £5.08 in EX condition, if someone has a sound clip please, buy it blind if you don't no it, I promise you will love it. :thumbup: DAVE

post-13241-0-38106100-1319424396_thumb.j

Got it on Wand, as you say, Great Tune for not a lot :thumbsup:

T

Social source share

SS

It was released as a mail order give away from a Crisp company..........Frito-Lay Potato Chip company.

Hence it came out under the Capitol Creative Products banner.

Has a "Seekers" track (can't remember which one without digging it out) on the other side.

Didn't know it came out on an EP :thumbsup:

Cheers

Martyn

Also released on one of those Juke Box Mini LP things ( Soulin' ?? with out checking))-which is the one I got.

ATB

Tony

Social source share

:hatsoff2:HAPPY HALLOWEEN..HAVE TO LOOK AFTER MY GOOLIES TO-NIGHT.

:g: MM AS THERE AIN'T MANY TO PICK FOR TO-DAY? THIS I GOT OF MICK SMITH IN 1975.

"The LURCH" - TED CASSIDAY - CAPITOL UK CL 15423 A, OK! IT's a POP RECORD, VALUE £25 DEMO, But it is a good one, from the box, getting it's yearly play RATE***

I was going to pick the TORCH PLAY from CHICAGO. What's it called? :rofl: DAVE

post-13241-0-07870500-1320094387_thumb.j

Social source share

wow, so many good posts, i've been lost in parties all halloween weekend but here's a nice cheapie from my collection, 2 great sides here as well

JESSE JAMES "If You're Lonely, Take My Hand" / "Green Power"

https://youtu.be/469x4OmDIKo

looks like green power isn't on the tube, oh well, it's great :wink:

Social source share

:hatsoff2: HI ALL The First pick is from of me box, and was played at the Event of the Year "TORCH 11" last Saturday night, sounded excel ant, the vocal by BOBBY WELLS - BEACON 102 is rare on original yellow label and big at the WHEEL Manchester, however the Inst that come to the UK as ships ballast in 1971 was a TORCH spin "the PSYCHEDELIC THEME" It's got a nice flip side also :thumbsup:

post-13241-0-36030000-1319668806_thumb.jpost-13241-0-20960100-1319668842_thumb.j

:g: my record for today from in my box, is another UK Release on PYE INTERNATIONAL 7N 25492 "PUTIN IT ON, PUTTIN# IT OFF" Again this sounds right to me, and would easy fit in with much roarer current music, the A side is also excel ant more up-tempo, but a great dancer,

Again this is another recommended record and a bit hard to find, Value ISSUE £20+, DEMO £40+, If played demand could easy double the value.

this DEMO was £5 from EBAY, 2 GREAT SOUL SIDES ***** :shhh: SSHHUSH DAVE, KEEP IT AS A SECRET SOUND!

post-13241-0-90238700-1319668917_thumb.jpost-13241-0-60251500-1319668947_thumb.j

Dave had this for a long time on demo...the b side Puttin it off is the better side.Is it a us jobbie or UK,always wondered if it was the Outer Limits from leeds

Social source share

Brilliant tune-another I must remember to play out

T

T

Think that's what's great about this thread,some great stuff been thrown up that makes you think "I must dig that out & stick it in the playbox...........again" :thumbsup:

Been after a Louise for awhile now but hasn't been the easiest tune to track down even though it's a cheapie?

Cheers

Martyn

Social source share

One of my fave inst at the moment.LP only as far as I know,off the Viva Soul Atlantic LP.It's a great LP with about 5 or 6 really great tracks on it.It's got "the" version of Wishing & Hoping on it (would have put that up but couldn't find it on You Tube),far better then Billy Keene's version imo.

The Harvey Averne Dozen-The Word Atlantic LP

Fact for the day.......credited to Lennon & McCartney.

Cheers

Martyn

Edited by hullsoul
Social source share

I remember getting a copy of that DAVID AND JIMMY RUFFIN record about 10 years ago, playing it and thinking 'how the hell has this never had any plays' then it goes into that strange 'should old aquaintance be forgot' section which is a little messy, god knows whose idea it was! Still a terrifc record though, great vocals and a storming chorus....Good to see it posted on this thread :hatsoff2:

Social source share

Frankie Saunders "Take Another Look"

bloody brilliant stafford anthem which is still a cheap record,at least it was when i bought it,incredible when heard LOUD

jason

Big fav that one Jason, and deffo worth hunting out on Sho-Me rather than Juana, coz ya get another minute and a half of the superb flip "Blues Time In Birmingham" :thumbsup:

steve

https://youtu.be/jxWqH1MJkRM

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Double sider from me today.Drown My Heart is one of the best bits of Latin I've heard & still sounds as good now as the first time I ever heard it (if not better?).Another car fave for me & the boss.

David Coleman-Drown My Heart Barry

Foolish Heart isn't one that hits you straight away but once you've played it a couple times it'll get in your head & the one you'll find yourself whistling at work??

David Coleman - My Foolish Heart Barry

Cheers

Martyn

Drown my heart is wonderful-how much for this nowadays??

Tony

Social source share

Drown my heart is wonderful-how much for this nowadays??

Tony

Tony

It's always been around the hundred pound mark (give or take),even though it's been picking more plays up of late it doesn't seem to have gone up in price?Must admit since getting my issue I've seen more demo's for sale??Brilliant tune & sounds sooooooo good played out :thumbsup:

Cheers

Martyn

Social source share

Abraham & his Sons " Your mother understood " Revue. Top tune this should be played more, another one that seems strangely unkown to a lot of folks, Not SSs am sure, and is a common 45 and cheep

Edited by miff
Social source share

T

Think that's what's great about this thread,some great stuff been thrown up that makes you think "I must dig that out & stick it in the playbox...........again" :thumbsup:

Been after a Louise for awhile now but hasn't been the easiest tune to track down even though it's a cheapie?

Cheers

Martyn

Always been a hard one to find,i got lucky bagged a demo & issue on thesame day,will keep my eyes open for you

Social source share

Hope you don't mind me mentioning this and it is probably a fact you are aware of, but the same record was recorded twice on Volt that version being the more 70s track. The reason I know is that I had the record stolen maybe twenty years ago and when I eventually got another one it was a different cut. fortunately both tracks are blinders and I still have both. Sorry if I am informing you of facts your probably aware of but though would be worth a mention. All the Best Tony L Preston Lancs
Social source share

My numero uno JACKIE WILSON track, as with the RANCE ALLEN record, a simply awesome vocal performance, again one of the most accomplished ever cut, a true musical genius at his peak with a voice made in heaven and a range no other artist could match.... :hatsoff2:

Social source share

Hi Rich truly awesome what some may not be aware of the single white demo was given away as a freeby with the LP when it was first issued. Many people get mistaken thinking they have a British white demo copy of the record but in fact it was released without the larger American middle and has serrated edges around the run out just like many British records do. I am only aware because a friend still has the LP sealed with single inside unopened, Oddball?. All the best Tony L Preston

Social source share

Hi On One

I don't mind you mentioning it. Don't know much about this record. When you say a different cut, are you referring to the talking bit towards the end? When I first heard this on an MP3 on someones website, I think the fade out omitted the talking bit, but my copy includes it. I've also seen a copy where the label has got more detailed numbering etc on it. My copy was sold to me as VG+ I think, and is my only ebay purchase where I felt the description was wrong coz it's noisy on the quiet intro - pity. However, as you say it's a great record which has been commented on by a few others on here. The Vid is, of course, a classic. Wonder whether this was in his set list for the Torch gig?

ATB

Mike

Social source share

Abraham & his Sons " Your mother understood " Revue. Top tune this should be played more, another one that seems strangely unkown to a lot of folks, Not SSs am sure, and is a common 45 and cheep

Abraham & His Sons Your Mother Understood

Lovely track that, been getting into the flip of it too lately "I Can't Do Without You" :thumbsup:

steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share