Recommended Record Of The Day, From Your Collection 2011

dthedrug

This is in the box...I wonder how it slipped the net in the golden era.....might be a bit too northern soul for some

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfVUakD_buw

Totally agree Wiggy..............This was going be one from me in the next few days...... How did this not go massive in it's time???

Still available for under £20 & great looking record too... Cab's daughter doing the do....... :thumbsup:

Social source share

Another day and another selection from the collection, I'll open myself up for abuse by saying that IMO this is the best version of this song bar none....

Social source share

Picked one of these up in New York last year, not many people seemed to know it but what an awesome record...Perfect tempo for today, with stunning vocals, somebody ought to get behind this...Only just appeared on youtube as far as I know. :hatsoff2:

Edited by rich chorley
Social source share

Another day and another selection from the collection, I'll open myself up for abuse by saying that IMO this is the best version of this song bar none....

Sounds like some geezer from Hartlepool screaming into an old Phillips tape recorder, with a copy of 'The Mighty Wurlitzer meets Tamla' LP playing on a very bad Fidelity stereo behind him! No abuse, but how that is better than the mighty Mr HATCHER'S piece of coolsville Detroit mastery beats me!!!..... :hatsoff2:

Social source share

Sounds like some geezer from Hartlepool screaming into an old Phillips tape recorder, with a copy of 'The Mighty Wurlitzer meets Tamla' LP playing on a very bad Fidelity stereo behind him! No abuse, but how that is better than the mighty Mr HATCHER'S piece of coolsville Detroit mastery beats me!!!..... :hatsoff2:

Rich , Sitting on the fence a bit mate :g: , agree (sorry Adam but that is not in the same league matey :no: )

Swifty :thumbsup:

Social source share

Hello Rich,

Understand where you're coming from and I agree that the production and vocal of Edwin's release stand head and shoulders above this. Which is actually part of the reason I prefer the Little Kenny version....Edwin's is almost too smooth and polished whereas this version is raw, gritty as hell and packed with power. The youtube clip doesn't really do it justice as it's one of those records that to be fully appreciated needs to be heard out on a club system. Reserve your final judgement for Saturday, when I believe you're DJing at the Brothers Of Soul afternoon warm up? I'm also DJing there and will spin this......whilst I very much doubt you will then think it the better version, I do think you'll be a touch less damning of it :thumbsup:

Rich , Sitting on the fence a bit mate :g: , agree (sorry Adam but that is not in the same league matey :no: )

Swifty :thumbsup:

No need to apologise mate, just trying to induce a bit of discussion about something other than the 'Oldies vs Rare' or 'Boots vs OVO' that are beginning to bore me ever so slightly :D

Social source share

The Angelenos - Lori (Highland). Only arrived in the post this afternoon, but reckon I've played it eight or nine time already - and uploaded it to YouTube. Not only is it one of those tracks that creeps up on you, but it's got Mexican/Mariachi-style horns - and that always does it for me! :thumbup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVDWcHf4sNA&feature=colike

Social source share

Bit of Motown today, Marvin Gaye "Baby dont you do it" Tamla, No UK release for this, released in 1964, Holland, Dozier, Holland, penned magic

Edited by miff
Social source share

This morning I have mostly been playing Carol Kay...always been a massive "girly tune fan" :wub: probably got more of this of type of stuff than any other ...still guilty pleasures are still pleasures :wicked:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZRZbMhBxzM

Oh yes, one of the ultimate girly records of all time, the type of record that takes you right back over the years...Fantastic stuff....the type of audio experience only Girly Northern Soul can deliver!! (one for all the real weirdos like me!).... :hatsoff2:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

ADAM TOPPING Said:

Hello Rich,

Understand where you're coming from and I agree that the production and vocal of Edwin's release stand head and shoulders above this. Which is actually part of the reason I prefer the Little Kenny version....Edwin's is almost too smooth and polished whereas this version is raw, gritty as hell and packed with power. The youtube clip doesn't really do it justice as it's one of those records that to be fully appreciated needs to be heard out on a club system. Reserve your final judgement for Saturday, when I believe you're DJing at the Brothers Of Soul afternoon warm up? I'm also DJing there and will spin this......whilst I very much doubt you will then think it the better version, I do think you'll be a touch less damning of it :thumbsup:

I'll take the Cool Soul swagger of EDWIN'S delivery and that crisp, Detroit engine purring along like a stripped down Rolls Royce every time ADAM! But look forward to hearing your 'garage' version up loud on saturday at 'The Rocket' mate, see you then!...and yes, dare I say it, this is much more interesting and - fun - than the endless OVO threads... :hatsoff2:

Social source share

I'll take the Cool Soul swagger of EDWIN'S delivery and that crisp, Detroit engine purring along like a stripped down Rolls Royce every time ADAM! But look forward to hearing your 'garage' version up loud on saturday at 'The Rocket' mate, see you then!...and yes, dare I say it, this is much more interesting and - fun - than the endless OVO threads... :hatsoff2:

:thumbup:

Just to show it won't be all souless garage from me on saturday, here's my choice for today and another I'll spin on saturday (unless beaten to it by someone else!). Detroit brilliance.....

Social source share

New one to me and I like, like, like it! What a fab label as well.....sort of label that would make you buy the record blind cos one look and you're thinking 'that has to be good'! Got to get this for myself, poverty here I come yet again....unless anyone has a clean and cheapish one they want to rehome :shades:

Social source share

Another one from me on Cassablanca, Greg Perry, "Come on down"

https://youtu.be/-ceKmWak1F8

What a fantastic album, bought it at time of release & just played it again & again & again.

He had another album released on RCA a few years later, unfortunately a big disappointment after One for the Road. Having said that I named my daughter after the beautiful track "Melodie"

• Helpful 1
Social source share

[quote name='SHSDave' timestamp='

What a fantastic album, bought it at time of release & just played it again & again & again.

He had another album released on RCA a few years later, unfortunately a big disappointment after One for the Road. Having said that I named my daughter after the beautiful track "Melodie"

Social source share

Dooley Silverspoon "Game Players", bought it new in on release in 1976, sold it in 1995, got another copy this week

Oddly, the rhythm and pace is very similar to Benny Troy "I wanna give you tomorrow", but I think Dooley is a better record IMO

you tube link is not my copy

• Helpful 1
Social source share

New one to me and I like, like, like it! What a fab label as well.....sort of label that would make you buy the record blind cos one look and you're thinking 'that has to be good'! Got to get this for myself, poverty here I come yet again....unless anyone has a clean and cheapish one they want to rehome :shades:

Hands off Mr.Topping!! :lol: .Played it at Burnley (10-11 slot). :thumbsup:

Social source share