Pete Rodriguez - Oh Thats Nice

I have been watching the e bay recently, and have noticed that this 45 has gone shooting up in value ?

Over 150 quid !!!!

I despair, as a latin fan and collector.

Although I have some of his stuff (4 lps on alegre including oh thats nice) Pete Rod was the most one dimensional, untalented boogaoo artist of the 60s

Even Larry Harlow hated his weak style of Latin pop

Who is playing this ?

Why has this 45 gone up in value ?

Someone on this scene or the mod scene must be playing it !

Whoever it is

Play something good and funky .........dont kill the boogaloo with the worst records first

buy some lps and discover the music !

there are hidden and inspiring boogloo tracks out there without having to resort to crap alegre 45s

I could put up with "rod" on "dirty dancing", (i like it like that) - easy to explain and good to hear a 60s latin track on a film , but all his english tunes are similar or the same. I don't even include any of his tracks on my compilations, even though I do have them......cause i fooking hate them !

Boogaloo by numbers !

Go listen !

Edited by luiz arruda paez
Social source share

• Replies 16
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I suppose we are all entitled to our opinion.

In my opinion 'Pete's Madness' from the 'I Like it Like That 'album is an outstanding piece of latin jazz.

Do yourself a favour and check it out.

Nick.

Do myself a favor ?.................I bought Petes "I like it like that" LP the same time as Bobby Valentins LP when I was a 16 year old Mod

Pete R is fooking dog shit................anyone paying 150 quid for this pile of fooking shit needs their bollocks kicking in

Try Solid States Rainy Night, or a big handful of great Fania LP tracks .

Loads of real boogaloo

without having to make do with this weak fooking rubbish !

Social source share

Oh thats nice is a great track ! its always been a quite in demand latin track , gets regular plays too ! its not suprising , its a great sound , 150 is steep but i know they regularly fetch 80 ,

p.s i have a nice copy up in the sales section now for 55 Ukp if anyones interested , along with some other nice latin 45´s :o)

Edited by soulgirl85
Social source share

I have been watching the e bay recently, and have noticed that this 45 has gone shooting up in value ?

Over 150 quid !!!!

I despair, as a latin fan and collector.

Although I have some of his stuff (4 lps on alegre including oh thats nice) Pete Rod was the most one dimensional, untalented boogaoo artist of the 60s

Even Larry Harlow hated his weak style of Latin pop

Who is playing this ?

Why has this 45 gone up in value ?

Someone on this scene or the mod scene must be playing it !

Whoever it is

Play something good and funky .........dont kill the boogaloo with the worst records first

buy some lps and discover the music !

there are hidden and inspiring boogloo tracks out there without having to resort to crap alegre 45s

I could put up with "rod" on "dirty dancing", (i like it like that) - easy to explain and good to hear a 60s latin track on a film , but all his english tunes are similar or the same. I don't even include any of his tracks on my compilations, even though I do have them......cause i fooking hate them !

Boogaloo by numbers !

Go listen !

i Think there are collectors of latin on here that would know a lot more than you do ! and your comments are a bit insulting as ive got some really rare latin 45s on alegre and they are belting tracks , yeah we all know there is rare stuff out there on obscure labels , but we all have 45´s like this too ! it doesnt make the alegre 45s crap , or in your words fooking rubbish !!! ray rodriguez´s delusion for example is a belter , rare as hens teeth too ! so i dont know what you are trying to get at by having a stabb at pete rodriguez and the whole entire alegre label , its a bit insulting really and a bit narrow minded ! if you dont like the price of a 45 on ebay then just dont buy it , i dont know why you need to get offended , and preaching to people on here about what latin they should listen too is kind of like teaching my gran how to suck eggs !!

Edited by soulgirl85
Social source share

£150 for 'Oh that's nice' is ridiculous to be fair, and yes it sounds very similar to 'I like it like that' (which was the one used in the Orange ads Ady)

I'd have thought £50 was about it's money, though they both used to sit at around £25 for years.

'Delusion' is a lot tougher to find, so can understand higher price tag for this.

Also noticed at least 3 copies of 'Here comes the judge' go for around $180 in the last 6 months.......whereas 'Guagaloo' still seems to be selling at a reasonable price (for the time being) and is as good, if not better, than all of the above imo.

Social source share

i Think there are collectors of latin on here that would know a lot more than you do ! and your comments are a bit insulting as ive got some really rare latin 45s on alegre and they are belting tracks , yeah we all know there is rare stuff out there on obscure labels , but we all have 45´s like this too ! it doesnt make the alegre 45s crap , or in your words fooking rubbish !!! ray rodriguez´s delusion for example is a belter , rare as hens teeth too ! so i dont know what you are trying to get at by having a stabb at pete rodriguez and the whole entire alegre label , its a bit insulting really and a bit narrow minded ! if you dont like the price of a 45 on ebay then just dont buy it , i dont know why you need to get offended , and preaching to people on here about what latin they should listen too is kind of like teaching my gran how to suck eggs !!

How the f*ck do you know what I have got in my collection ?

My originals kill me every day !

if there are latin fans on here i hope they are spinning better tunes than peter rod

you keep on selling peters 45s for whatever you see fit

his output will always be weak / crap / shite to my ears...and I cant understand why just because its on a 45 and its latin it commands money

thats all I was saying

suck your own eggs kiddo !

OK... babalu by ray barretto .................. tico 45..... (got mine in the 80s for 3 dollars).............and one of his most boring 45s imo

why has this sold for 150 pounds recently ?

I just cant work it out !

When there are some brilliant funky latin things hidden away on LPs

..................Celebrate the great Boogaloo things ! Ignore the weak shit !

Social source share

'Here comes the judge' go for around $180 in the last 6 months......

I have a copy.............just listened to it....................crap record

then put on monguito santamarias on top lp ...................loved it

give me the fania production !

Social source share

We all have our favourite tunes within the latin genre which have that certain 'something' for us.

I think that the large sums paid for the big tunes, Bobby Valentin, Harvey Averne etc.are a result of djs and collectors within the soul scene trying to find tunes within the latin genre that tick the ' soul ' box.A lifetime obsession with soul and the search for that special record, in particular a 'white label demo ' can easily become a trophy sound.

Personally I find very little 'soul ' in many of the latin tracks which have been played over the years on 45, they are great dance tracks.

Coming more from the jazz end of town I collect both albums and 45s and have had the privelege over 30 years of djing to play both formats.

To this end I have no problem playing album tracks,as Luiz above recommends, however this is often frowned upon by 'the scene'.I am sure that many collectors have great latin albums in their collections with soulful tracks, Ray Terrace 'Listen to Me ', being a personal favourite.

Ultimately, the consequence is that prices go up for the fair to middling 45s within a relatively small genre and an element of the emperors new clothes will exist.

Find the records,play them out,whether Lp or 45, let the dancefloor enjoy.

You can also sit at home listen to what the f*ck you want and bask in the joy of having such impeccable taste.

We all got Latin Soul.

Nick.

Social source share

A bit harsh on Pete really. 'I Like It Like That' is great, and his Bezito Con Monzancha is fantastic pure Latin action (not boogaloo). Certainly many of the finest latin records are on LP. Soul fans should check out 'Dance Dance Dance' by the Lebron Brothers on Cotique. It's astounding!

Social source share

£150 for 'Oh that's nice' is ridiculous to be fair, and yes it sounds very similar to 'I like it like that' (which was the one used in the Orange ads Ady)

I'd have thought £50 was about it's money, though they both used to sit at around £25 for years.

'Delusion' is a lot tougher to find, so can understand higher price tag for this.

Also noticed at least 3 copies of 'Here comes the judge' go for around $180 in the last 6 months.......whereas 'Guagaloo' still seems to be selling at a reasonable price (for the time being) and is as good, if not better, than all of the above imo.

Thanks Mace, i knew it was one of 'em.

Incidentally a couple of years ago someone told me my Johnny Colon 'You Gotta Love Me' was so rare on Cotique that nobody knew it was a 45. Is that right or am I gonna be shot down in flames?

Ady

Social source share

Thanks Mace, i knew it was one of 'em.

Incidentally a couple of years ago someone told me my Johnny Colon 'You Gotta Love Me' was so rare on Cotique that nobody knew it was a 45. Is that right or am I gonna be shot down in flames?

Ady

Johnny Colon 'You gotta love me' is a tough one, I've got a copy on 45 and know of quite a few other copies out there, so debatable just how rare....

Social source share

Personally I find very little 'soul ' in many of the latin tracks which have been played over the years

I have also collected Latin music for 25+ years...especially firey 50's big-band and hardcore Boogaloo...sooooooo many great 'dance tunes', but as Nick points out, very few are worthy of a 'Soul' night per se...imo.

Yes, Pete Rodriguez tracks are watered down fun-time tunes...aimed successfuly at the Pop market of the day (nothing wrong with that), but they are not the finest examples of their genre and seem to fetch money as they are conveniently on 7"...but still they don't deserve a severe dissing, imo.

Happy days reflective moment - I also once had the pleasure of meeting Celia Cruz and raiding the Fania, Tico, Cotique, Alegre catalogues, when working for a certain record label during the 80's...had a few compilations ready to roll before I left them!

In support of Mr.Rodriguez, here's a rare Japanese release of ILILT:

post-9555-0-56400600-1318005412_thumb.jp

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!