How Not To Get Ripped Off As A Seller

Guest fifesoul

Hi all whats the best way to sell a higher priced 45s £500+ by that I mean what postage do I use what insurances can i make that I wont lose the record and the cash being paid for 45s

Kieran

Social source share

• Replies 12
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Dave's right I think, you have to say if the package is worth more than £500 and have the amount put on the receipt, it also has to be signed for at the buyers end, you get a tracking number to pass on to the buyer so you can tell where its at until actually delivered and signed for too.

Well worth it.

Paul

Social source share

Guest julesp1905

For UK delivery, send item through Royal mail Special Delivery service, do not confuse with recorded delivery.

Special delivery is insured up to £500, additional insurance can be purchased. and is tracked at every stage of the process.

For items aboard, the safest Royal Mail Service is International Airsure and not International signed for which is only tracked as far as leaving the country.

Social source share

You need to check with P/O when sending overseas.

Air sure isn't available to many destinations and unless I'm mistaken ,it doesn't require a signature on arrival,whereas international signed for does.

But for uk it has to be special delivery every time for me with high priced items.

Best

NEV

Social source share

Royal Mail will try and wriggle out of it if the record is not packed in bubble wrap as well as normal stiffners.

A few years ago I paid £300 for a record and when it arrived Special Delivery it was badly cracked. The record was packed with double stiff cards each side in a proper mailer, but during the sorting something heavy had gotten dropped on it (the crease line on the mailer was obvious).

When I sent It back I got in return an identical copy as replacement - I was more than happy.

Hovever I learned that the seller, although making what seemed a fireproof claim, was fobbed off by Royal Mail and never got compensation, telling him it should have been bubblewraped as well as all the stiffners used. It also left him £300 lighter.

Cheers

Mick

Social source share

Guest julesp1905

You need to check with P/O when sending overseas.

Air sure isn't available to many destinations and unless I'm mistaken ,it doesn't require a signature on arrival,whereas international signed for does.

But for uk it has to be special delivery every time for me with high priced items.

Best

NEV

Air Sure isn't available to all destinations, but it is the safest Royal Mail Service as it is tracked, the item is scanned via the barcode through out whole the process and confirms delivery to address which is the all important part, international signed for is reliant on information being exchange via postal carriers which doesn't always happen. Paypal will look at tracking information provided, if item is only down as leaving the country, they will side in favour of buyer

International signed for is treated in much the same way as recorded delivery, Airsure is treated in the same way as a special delivery, a huge difference .

The fact that Royal mail limit countries they provide Airsure service to is down to them not having the facilities to handle the service..

Social source share

there is a problem with airsure though, it is tracked all the way but does not have to be signed for at other end i know this as i sent 2 big money records to chicago and the package was left outside his door in an apartment block and they went missing...

Edited by cenco
Social source share

Guest julesp1905

there is a problem with airsure though, it is tracked all the way but does not have to be signed for at other end i know this as i sent 2 big money records to chicago and the package was left outside his door in an apartment block and they went missing...

I'm not sure how that is a problem, a hassle yes making a claim. but the product specification does not allow doorstepping, it can only be confirmed delivered if handed to a resident of the address on the item due to potential insurance value.

Did the postal carrier confirm the item had been doorstepped? And were you compensated to the value of insurance paid?

I have found the most important thing when sending items through the post is to protect yourself from any postal mishandling or buyers who may take advantage of a paypal system that is clearly bias towards them.

Social source share

Hi all,

I sold a camera lens via ebay a few months back which arrived broken, I refunded the buyer as it was fully insured.

That is when the problems started as royal mail were being a bitch and not wanting to pay out.

They wanted the original packaging the item was sent in and the original receipt showing what I paid for it and not what it sold for.

I thought I was water tight but my packaging was 3mm less than what they said it should have been and after all of the messing about, refused to pay out.........

Cheers, Heath

Social source share

Royal Mail will try and wriggle out of it if the record is not packed in bubble wrap as well as normal stiffners.

A few years ago I paid £300 for a record and when it arrived Special Delivery it was badly cracked. The record was packed with double stiff cards each side in a proper mailer, but during the sorting something heavy had gotten dropped on it (the crease line on the mailer was obvious).

When I sent It back I got in return an identical copy as replacement - I was more than happy.

Hovever I learned that the seller, although making what seemed a fireproof claim, was fobbed off by Royal Mail and never got compensation, telling him it should have been bubblewraped as well as all the stiffners used. It also left him £300 lighter.

Cheers

Mick

this sounds more like they were trying to find an excuse not to pay versus some specific rule about bubble wrap. Someone was telling me that they never successfully claimed against a record in new york because the post office people made stuff up every time about a record being too fragile, not insurable, etc.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!