Corbett80

• Replies 39
  • Views 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Proppa Northern Soul, didnt realise Earl Gaines was on lead on this......remember Saus having this covered up years ago.....love the Carolinas stuff, always have & there still seems to be stuff out there too.......c'mon Jason get diggin harder :yes: .

Thanks for posting Joel awesome stuff..........

Anyone wanna sell me this, especially as I didnt know 'I Tried' until now & its kin fab....

Best Russ

Social source share

Remember Johnny Weston playing 'I Tried' down at the first Prestatyn I went to maybe 2003 Russ - steam came out my f*cking ears - sounds amazing out...

Having said this I think this is a Virginia 45? Still - that whole area of the US and scene made for some blinding records. I think this whole area of 60's soul music in the states is really underated. Looking at the Hey Baby book theres tons of super obscure groups and 45s to be ofund I'd imagine? Anyone got any good stories of Carolina / Virginia finds?

Edited by corbett80
Social source share

Remember Johnny Weston playing 'I Tried' down at the first Prestatyn I went to maybe 2003 Russ - steam came out my f*cking ears - sounds amazing out...

Having said this I think this is a Virginia 45? Still - that whole area of the US and scene made for some blinding records. I think this whole area of 60's soul music in the states is really underated. Looking at the Hey Baby book theres tons of super obscure groups and 45s to be ofund I'd imagine? Anyone got any good stories of Carolina / Virginia finds?

It was out of Portsmouth VA mate, about 20 mins from where I used to live.

Best Russ

Social source share

Your right Joel, loads of fine stuff from the area. I found Ida Sands when I lived in VA Beach, also Barbara Stant, at the time BS refused to meet me as she was very active in the church 7 didnt recognise her secular career, since she has performed her old material live again. I also met Joe Webster from the Anglo's who was a terrific guy & was also part of the Soul Duo on Shiptown.

Shiptown was a fantastic label with some awesome output, one of my faves being Ida Sands - You Came along to Rescue Me - Shiptown, also released on Chief out of NY but the NY release is a different mix, Shiptown is a tougher mix. The Ida Sands & Barbara Stant stuff is well documented, but there are other releases worthy of note, for example the Grooms, How Big Records was a subsiduary of Shiptown & also has some great stuff, Wilson Williams Honey Rock is a side I have championed for some years & I think it sounds great for now with that fierce funkish driving beat.........

The Parliaments - Rainy Day was out of VA too, the list goes on, I think the area is vastly underated & I reckon there is a wealth of stuff yet to be discovered properly.......

there's a starter for ya Joel........

Russ

Social source share

No mate, deffo out of VA, cant remember until I check my notes, but Danville rings a bell, deffo West Virginia. Hope you are well & that Hitsville exceeded expectations yet again.

Best my friend

Russ

Damn!! I been looking in the wrong place!! :D :D

I always believed it was Texas, can't remember why now? Found lots of their other one but alas no Rainy Day as yet! The hunt goes on Mucker!

Hitsville 2011 = :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Enjoy your upcoming leave Matey, You able to make Brothers Of Soul?

Best,

Dave

Social source share

Damn!! I been looking in the wrong place!! :D :D

I always believed it was Texas, can't remember why now? Found lots of their other one but alas no Rainy Day as yet! The hunt goes on Mucker!

Hitsville 2011 = :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Enjoy your upcoming leave Matey, You able to make Brothers Of Soul?

Best,

Dave

I'm hoping to make a last minuit last dash, is there any dance aswell ???.

Best Russ

Social source share

Sold quick Ady! I'd sell mine too if any ones interested,nice VG+ copy.

:thumbup: 'I Tried' swung it, cant believe I have known this record all these years yet never knew that was the flip, had a few chances previously, but always passed it over.........'I Tried' is a bit special tho' methinks & deserves some hammer !.

Best Russ

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

I've never had any positive reaction to the regents I played it at no more doggin for years and the Hally soul nights and the west end soul nights and at Leicester and no bugger danced.So I gave up with it , it's in the garage so I'll have to dig it out.The Parliments has just been reissued and is available for a tenner(not from me).regards Simon.

Edited by sharmo 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!