Events Wise Is Motown Now The Same As Karaoke, Quiz Nites, Etc

Mike

often see motown events all over the place

motown theme shows at theatres, mainstream motown weekenders at local hotels, motown nites at pubs etc

question is..

has it now just got to be a term here in uk along lines of karaoke, quiz nites, abba revial, blue bros etc ?

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

people are advertising Motown nights to get a packed venue and make loads of money, why else would they put one on as most of them are NS djs anyway :lol:

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

motown nights easy listening/middle age singles nights.......warm and comfey and safe........inevitable really.....bit like stoke without the big oldies

Social source share

Depends what "Motown" 45's are on the playlist though surly??

I collect Motown in a big way and yes there is the ones everybody knows even the ones we would call "Northern"......remember one thing Motown/Tamla/Soul/Gordy/V.I.P./ etc...are ALL just record labels under one umbrella......"Motown"

I know, i could do an hour spot at any venue (all dancers) and you would not know it was "Motown" that was being spun.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Depends what "Motown" 45's are on the playlist though surly??

I collect Motown in a big way and yes there is the ones everybody knows even the ones we would call "Northern"......remember one thing Motown/Tamla/Soul/Gordy/V.I.P./ etc...are ALL just record labels under one umbrella......"Motown"

I know, i could do an hour spot at any venue (all dancers) and you would not know it was "Motown" that was being spun.

I think when you see a Motown night advertised it is more than likely Jimmy Mack & My Girl rather than Suspicion and Come On Back To Me Baby.

Social source share

Thats quite true Chalky, In the years gone by I too didn`t realise Motown has such an array of music but i was soon banged to rights on that one :yes::lol: but i do think they should specify state

what sort of motown it will be as i for one wouldn`t like to go and pay to listen to "Baby Love" its ok doing the housework to :thumbsup:

Edited by Julie Moore
Social source share

"we" may not like it but in just about ever town across the UK these type of nights give middle-aged people a night out ,and whilst they are not the majority on heres cup of tea they'll generally be packed.Is that a bad thing probably not ,just so long as you know what you're getting.Having been to a few over the years and so long as you dont take it seriously there a good laugh,but dont thing you're gonna be amazed at the play list because it'll be chart motown,atlantic & disco..And if thats there or your cup of tea then fair play.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!