Question: What Is Boogaloo?

Guest miff

This may be a stupid question but can someone tell me

To me it is, Funky R&B, I know its the name off a dance but did the dance spawn the music or the music spawn the dance

Just wonderd :wicked:

title amended. Shane

Edited by miff
Social source share

• Replies 52
  • Views 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Boogaloo (shing-a-ling, popcorn music) is a genre of Latin music and dance that was very popular in the United States in the late 1960s. Boogaloo originated in New York City among teenage Cubans and Puerto Ricans. The style was a fusion of popular African American R&B, rock and roll and soul with mambo and son montuno. Boogaloo entered the mainstream through the American Bandstand television program.

Social source share

Guest Brian J

Boogaloo (shing-a-ling, popcorn music) is a genre of Latin music and dance that was very popular in the United States in the late 1960s. Boogaloo originated in New York City among teenage Cubans and Puerto Ricans. The style was a fusion of popular African American R&B, rock and roll and soul with mambo and son montuno. Boogaloo entered the mainstream through the American Bandstand television program.

Some Boogaloo bands;

Joe Cuba, Johnny Colon, Ricardo Ray, Joe Bataan, King Nando, Joey Pastrana, the Lebron Brothers, the Hi-Latins, Pete Terrace and Pucho and the Latin Soul Brothers.

Social source share

Although Boogaloo was Latin in origin (it followed the same musical structure as the Mambo), it evolved out of the Barrio by fusing Mambo with R&B. It's cradle was the ghetto's of New York and was a direct result of the open mindedness of the young Porto Ricans and Blacks that shared the same landings in the Ghettos tenements. This peak was during the mid, and ended by the later part of the sixties. It was rejected by the older generations in the Barrio - because it lacked authenticity to their Latin Roots. Even Tito Puente was on record as hating it! - although during its peak he had no options commercially other than to follow the trend.

It was often instrumental though not exclusively, which I think was deliberate to offer itself to all of the neighbourhoods. Being instrumental based it was obviously focused on the dance floor again linking it to the youth - who as always wanted to create something new and the fact that it didn't appeal to elder players on both sides of the fence was a bonus (we all know how much the youth like to be rebel's). The sound was very popular (because it was appealing to both camps) within New York and it spread. With the bigger artists like Ray Barretto and Joe Bataan singing a lot of their songs in English the sound was moving further away from its Mambo roots and closer to that of contemporary R&B. The R&B and Jazz instrumentation that had been the base of many black dance records, started to take on board the trickier rhythms of the Boogaloo and now the sound was not just based in the Barrio but was spreading through all the ghettos of all the major Towns and Cities. This was the turning point in the inception of Funk - Fusing the tricky rhythm's of Latin America with the primal R&B sounds of people such as JC Davies.

The one thing that I've found is the rhythms of the more traditional Boogaloo artists (Lebron Brothers etc), are very much based on dancing with a partner ie slower with a stronger Mambo influence. Although this could also be that the favoured drugs of choice within the Porto Rican communities at this time were Cheeba and LSD - Hence only a few of the tunes being suitable for the dance floors of clubs in this country where we dance as individuals.

Then BANG!!!

Socially things changed after the assassination of MLK. Both the Blacks and Porto Ricans started to look back within their own societies and the music changed at grass roots level. It became more honest and harder with less focus on fun (the dance crazes of early to mid sixties) and more focused on the plight of the people and social commentary. Life wasn't Fun, the promises of equality had been broken and before the turn of the decade a lot of the black guys who had played it moved over to the heavier Funk sound - This was the sound of Anger, Helplessness and above all awareness. In the Barrio the Latin musicians returned to their roots, and just like the Blacks they felt their identity was perceived as negative so stopped focusing on what others thought or had, and their communities pulled together once again. The music reverted back to its South American origins and the massive boom in Salsa that followed right through the seventies was the result.

Social source share

Thanks for info, Anybody got a sound file of what they consider A typical boogaloo sound

My next question is, would you consider Latin soul the same as Boogaloo

Social source share

Thanks for info, Anybody got a sound file of what they consider A typical boogaloo sound

My next question is, would you consider Latin soul the same as Boogaloo

All the Latin soul stuff I know is, boogaloo with English vocals . Like I stated above it was the stuff which had greater commercial appeal, true crossover music. Like Motown, it was aimed at a greater audience.

I'll try and post some sound files up when I return from work.

Simon

Social source share

Although Boogaloo was Latin in origin (it followed the same musical structure as the Mambo), it evolved out of the Barrio by fusing Mambo with R&B. It's cradle was the ghetto's of New York and was a direct result of the open mindedness of the young Porto Ricans and Blacks that shared the same landings in the Ghettos tenements. This peak was during the mid, and ended by the later part of the sixties. It was rejected by the older generations in the Barrio - because it lacked authenticity to their Latin Roots. Even Tito Puente was on record as hating it! - although during its peak he had no options commercially other than to follow the trend.

It was often instrumental though not exclusively, which I think was deliberate to offer itself to all of the neighbourhoods. Being instrumental based it was obviously focused on the dance floor again linking it to the youth - who as always wanted to create something new and the fact that it didn't appeal to elder players on both sides of the fence was a bonus (we all know how much the youth like to be rebel's). The sound was very popular (because it was appealing to both camps) within New York and it spread. With the bigger artists like Ray Barretto and Joe Bataan singing a lot of their songs in English the sound was moving further away from its Mambo roots and closer to that of contemporary R&B. The R&B and Jazz instrumentation that had been the base of many black dance records, started to take on board the trickier rhythms of the Boogaloo and now the sound was not just based in the Barrio but was spreading through all the ghettos of all the major Towns and Cities. This was the turning point in the inception of Funk - Fusing the tricky rhythm's of Latin America with the primal R&B sounds of people such as JC Davies.

The one thing that I've found is the rhythms of the more traditional Boogaloo artists (Lebron Brothers etc), are very much based on dancing with a partner ie slower with a stronger Mambo influence. Although this could also be that the favoured drugs of choice within the Porto Rican communities at this time were Cheeba and LSD - Hence only a few of the tunes being suitable for the dance floors of clubs in this country where we dance as individuals.

Then BANG!!!

Socially things changed after the assassination of MLK. Both the Blacks and Porto Ricans started to look back within their own societies and the music changed at grass roots level. It became more honest and harder with less focus on fun (the dance crazes of early to mid sixties) and more focused on the plight of the people and social commentary. Life wasn't Fun, the promises of equality had been broken and before the turn of the decade a lot of the black guys who had played it moved over to the heavier Funk sound - This was the sound of Anger, Helplessness and above all awareness. In the Barrio the Latin musicians returned to their roots, and just like the Blacks they felt their identity was perceived as negative so stopped focusing on what others thought or had, and their communities pulled together once again. The music reverted back to its South American origins and the massive boom in Salsa that followed right through the seventies was the result.

Good info Simon.

Jordi

Social source share

Guest Brian J

R&B Style Boogaloo

Excellent tracks Simon, especially liked Mullin Around.

Have you got anythin' by Ray Barreto?

That bloody Mike's gonna move this thread any minute! :Dranting_1.gif

Social source share

Excellent tracks Simon, especially liked Mullin Around.

Have you got anythin' by Ray Barreto?

That bloody Mike's gonna move this thread any minute! :Dranting_1.gif

Yes I've got a lot of his stuff, fantastic artist.

The track MULIN' AROUND is a fairly new release - Its the SUGARMAN THREE from their "SOUL DONKEY" LP (Desco). Again the man Gabriel Roth producing those grubby sounds - like all the best producers back in the day. All the Desco/Soul Fire/Daptone/Truth and SOUL/Timmion releases should at least be heard, these guys have got Soul - even if its found in a hard funk instrumental, cue....................

Edited by simonb
Social source share

Guest Brian J

Latin Soul/boogaloo

Another excellent track Simon..........the intro reminds me of another track and I can't for the life of me think what it is! ??????

Social source share

Guest Brian J

Yes I've got a lot of his stuff, fantastic artist.

The track MULIN' AROUND is a fairly new release - Its the SUGARMAN THREE from their "DYNAMIC SOUL SOUND" LP (Desco). Again the man Gabriel Roth producing those grubby sounds - like all the best producers back in the day. All the Desco/Soul Fire/Daptone/Truth and SOUL/Timmion releases should at least be heard, these guys have got Soul - even if its found in a hard funk instrumental, cue....................

I've gotta get myself this one at least.

I've mainly collected Mainstream, Fusion & West Coast Jazz in the past along with Soul & Blues. I've got some Latin that's emerged thru fusion but nothing like this. Looks like I'm into another long musical trip. ranting_1.gif

Social source share

Guest Brian J

Just found Mulin' Around on their 'Soul Donkey' album on Desco, released January 2000.

I've always chased good sax-based music and Sugarman's got somethin' worth listenin' to.

Social source share

R&B Style Boogaloo

Yep like this, :shhh::wicked::P

So theres, Modern Boogaloo, Crossover Boogaloo, & Boogaloo Oldies, Seem to of come across those terms somewhere :thumbsup:

Social source share

karen_bridges_anime04.gif I am a mahoooosive fan of this genre, doesn't it make you want to dance karen_bridges_anime03.gif

That Freak Off one is superb :thumbsup:

Is there a compilation CD available so I can hear more of this stuff?

Edited by Soulgirl
Social source share

I've got that Sugarman Three Lp, some really good tracks on there. Also saw them live at the Jazz Cafe, was probably about 2000, they were really good.

Try here for some really good tunes https://www.daptonerecords.com/ . I especially love the Sharon Jones version of What Condition My Condition Is In. Another great track by her is How Long do I Have to Wait for You?

I believe Neil Sugarman now plays with Sharon Jones in The Dap Kings, I'm not sure that the Sugarman Three are still together.

Cheers

Richard

Edited by richard
Social source share

Thanks pikeys dog... I just ordered the other two so will see if they are good... then I might venture to buy a 3rd whistling.gif Oooooh... I'm feeling all Carmen Miranda karen_bridges_anime10.gif

Social source share

I believe Neil Sugarman now plays with Sharon Jones in The Dap Kings

I think he was playing sax on the recent tour and wearin a CU Jimmy hat without the ginger wig. I thought he had bought it from Tam Shepherd's joke shop ut apparently it's his normal attire

QD0451026_jpg.jpg

Social source share

Here's a playlist of stuff I put together for a Sub Tropique show on radiomagnetic. Unfortunately it did not make the archive. Quite a bit of Bugalu

The TnT Boys Musica del alma

Jerry O Karate Boogaloo

Alvin Cash and the Registers Alvin's Boogaloo

Mongo Santamaria Fatback

Joe Bataan La Botella

Jangal Dom um Romao

Patti labelle Teach me tonight

Dizzy Gillespie Band Bang

Willie Bobo Boogaloo in room 802

Willie Rosario Watusi Boogaloo

Cool Benny Wobble Cha

Bobby Valentin Use it before you lose it

Poncho Sanchez Hey Bud

Harvey Averne Dozen The Word

Di Melo Kilario

Troubleman Nina Miranda Paz

Jack Costanza Gerry Woo Jive samba

Fran "El Chuchi"Anaya No me Puedo Quedor

Hector Rivers I want a chance for romance

Joey Pastrano King of latin Soul

Candido Tic tac Toe

King Nando Funk Shingaling

Ricardo Ray Nitty Gritty

Ricardo Marrero a Taste of latin

Cal Tjader Evil Ways

Social source share

Guest Brian J

Here's a playlist of stuff I put together for a Sub Tropique show on radiomagnetic. Unfortunately it did not make the archive. Quite a bit of Bugalu

The TnT Boys Musica del alma

Jerry O Karate Boogaloo

Alvin Cash and the Registers Alvin's Boogaloo

Mongo Santamaria Fatback

Joe Bataan La Botella

Jangal Dom um Romao

Patti labelle Teach me tonight

Dizzy Gillespie Band Bang

Willie Bobo Boogaloo in room 802

Willie Rosario Watusi Boogaloo

Cool Benny Wobble Cha

Bobby Valentin Use it before you lose it

Poncho Sanchez Hey Bud

Harvey Averne Dozen The Word

Di Melo Kilario

Troubleman Nina Miranda Paz

Jack Costanza Gerry Woo Jive samba

Fran "El Chuchi"Anaya No me Puedo Quedor

Hector Rivers I want a chance for romance

Joey Pastrano King of latin Soul

Candido Tic tac Toe

King Nando Funk Shingaling

Ricardo Ray Nitty Gritty

Ricardo Marrero a Taste of latin

Cal Tjader Evil Ways

Damn und blast!! Pity it wasn't archived Frank, would have loved to have heard it.

I've got a couple of Cal Tjader albums, I'll check thru them again to see what's on.

'Evil Ways'........was that covered or the original by Santana? Or am I thinkin' of somethin' else?

Social source share

Use it Before You Lose It .... one of the few records that has remained a gotta dance favourite of mine over the years. Heard regularly at Boogaloo in Greenwich and even at Desborough a coupla weeks back! So it may be doing the rounds again, and about fkn time!

Been trying to find a CD with "You Got BB" on it.... to no avail. :yes:

(Also knowed as Bang Bang - I think it's Ray Barreta).

Hector Rivera is fantastic for this sorta stuff too. biggrin.gif

With more and more RnB clubs popping up, let's hope they'll be digging out more and more of this stuff to delight us with :thumbsup:

PS Oi Miff! LTNS. :lol:

Edited by Trifle
Social source share

Wow! Thanks PD! What speedy service. I hope for your sake, that was not off the top of your head..... :thumbsup:

Bobby Valentin eh. I searched hi and low on the information shooperhighway, so you'd think I would remember that, but I dont remember my own name most of the time, so .... Oh and by the way, what was Bang Bang then? Just another version? Or a completely different record??

Miff... Wilton is not really my cuppa cappuccino, but if you wanna lift to the next Lincoln RnB thingy, let us know. Not sure when it is, but definitely want to give it a try.

Social source share

Wow! Thanks PD! What speedy service. I hope for your sake, that was not off the top of your head..... :thumbsup:

Bobby Valentin eh. I searched hi and low on the information shooperhighway, so you'd think I would remember that, but I dont remember my own name most of the time, so .... Oh and by the way, what was Bang Bang then? Just another version? Or a completely different record??

Miff... Wilton is not really my cuppa cappuccino, but if you wanna lift to the next Lincoln RnB thingy, let us know. Not sure when it is, but definitely want to give it a try.

Bang Bang was a hit by Joe Cuba Sextet.

Bad Breath 'borrowed' some of it....

And yes it was off the top of my head.

Social source share

Wow! Thanks PD! What speedy service. I hope for your sake, that was not off the top of your head..... :lol:

Yes would'nt mind let me when and if ime off work I will go, Cheers :yes:yes.gif:yes::thumbsup:

Social source share

'Evil Ways'........was that covered or the original by Santana? Or am I thinkin' of somethin' else?

I always thought the original was by Santana from their album Abraxas but it looks as if they covered it. Possibly the original was by Willie Bobo. It was written by Sonny Henry and i have a chessy version by Al De Lory who covered Santana's version. Kent included Cal Tjader's version on a vinyl compilation and it's on one of their MOd Jazz series. The Village Callers definitely recorded it before Santana and they were based in San Francisco.

Social source share

This is a great thread and just to many references to look into in one spell. I adore the latin/boogaloo sound. There was a period in the 80's when it was very popular at the 100 club.

I think The isonics - Sugar can be slotted into this genre too. I feel a strong latin downloading session coming on.

Simon, thanks for the great info and to everyone else for the references.

Social source share

I received my first CD yesterday, Latin Soul, it's superb - I've burst my eardrums already and the pink neons have trouble keeping up with the beat LOL.

The playlist on it is:

1. TNT Boys - Musica Del Alma

2. Harvey Averne - Never Learned To Dance

3. Lebron Brothers - Dance Dance

4. Ray Barretto - Hard Hands

5. Joey Pastrana - Afro Azul

6. Joe Bataan - Gypsy Woman

7. Eddie Palmieri - Everything Is Everything

8. Bobby Valentin - Keep The Faith

9. Pete Rodriguez - I Like It (I Like It Like That)

10. Joe Cuba Sextet - What A Baby

11. Chollo Rivera & The Latin Soul Drives - Latin Soul Drive Is Here

12. Joe Bataan - Cowboys To Girls

13. Bobby Paunetto - Why Is Woody Sad

14. Russell Cohen - I'm Gonna Leave You

15. Joey Pastrana - My Girl

Edited by Soulgirl
Social source share

Guest Brian J

I received my first CD yesterday, Latin Soul, it's superb - I've burst my eardrums already and the pink neons have trouble keeping up with the beat LOL.

The playlist on it is:

1. TNT Boys - Musica Del Alma

2. Harvey Averne - Never Learned To Dance

3. Lebron Brothers - Dance Dance

4. Ray Barretto - Hard Hands

5. Joey Pastrana - Afro Azul

6. Joe Bataan - Gypsy Woman

7. Eddie Palmieri - Everything Is Everything

8. Bobby Valentin - Keep The Faith

9. Pete Rodriguez - I Like It (I Like It Like That)

10. Joe Cuba Sextet - What A Baby

11. Chollo Rivera & The Latin Soul Drives - Latin Soul Drive Is Here

12. Joe Bataan - Cowboys To Girls

13. Bobby Paunetto - Why Is Woody Sad

14. Russell Cohen - I'm Gonna Leave You

15. Joey Pastrana - My Girl

How's about postin' a snippet of your fave track off the album!

Social source share

Funny you should ask that... there are several I love from this album but I have just been ChaChaCha'ing around my conservatory to this, and might I add it's quite approprately titled to!

Bobby Valentine - Keep The Faith

The chollo Rivera track is sublimely Samba, Harvey Averne has been one of my faves for ages and got a mention in my cleethorpes review for this year... Joe Bataan's Gypsy Woman is fabuloso - he's good isn't he :wicked:

Dare I say there are poor quality snippits on my site for this genre now as I have become quite taken with it!

Edited by Soulgirl
Social source share

Use it Before You Lose It .... one of the few records that has remained a gotta dance favourite of mine over the years. Heard regularly at Boogaloo in Greenwich and even at Desborough a coupla weeks back! So it may be doing the rounds again, and about fkn time!

Been trying to find a CD with "You Got BB" on it.... to no avail. :D

(Also knowed as Bang Bang - I think it's Ray Barreta).

Hector Rivera is fantastic for this sorta stuff too. :(

With more and more RnB clubs popping up, let's hope they'll be digging out more and more of this stuff to delight us with :wicked:

PS Oi Miff! LTNS. :D

Here here! Of course Ray Pollard had a connection with Hector and is even said to have been the vocalist on a couple of outings with him. Can't recall the 7" but I'm sure its been mentioned on this thread. I'm just pure lazy to look back!!!!!

Social source share

Blimey... am I being watched? I just got an email with a flyer for a new Cuban Band called Asere!!! (edit - I can't bloody type today)

post-19-1131791611_thumb.jpg

Edited by Soulgirl
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert