A Brilliant Day Out With Sammy Seaman From Selby

Guest Swish

A brilliant day out with Sammy Seaman from selby.

It's maybe 30 years since we met, I aren't sure, but either way it had been a long time.

We met in York last saturday and had a superb day.

I knew this man and all the Selby crowd in the early 70's when we all went to Torch, Crewe, and Catacombs.

I loved being with the Selby blokes (and especially the girls :thumbsup: ) .

Anyway in only a few months he has built up a superb collection of original top sounds and brought them to show me.

BOK TO BACH on UK DEMO stands out cos as we all know it s beautiful and mega rare. But all his sounds were the business.

He was the same man I always knew, funny, witty, down to earth, good to be with.

We got on instantly just like there had been no 30 year gap.

I remembered he was a MAN Utd fan and just happened to know a pub where one can watch Man Utd games that are not on Sky.

So I took him there and (although we talked for the most part) enjoyed watching the match.

He is coming to the Leeds Central reunion with his wife, Shirley on November 6th and I am DJ'ing and he has kindly offered to lend me some of his collection so (to anyone whom is going ) you will hear dynamite sounds.

(As if I'd ever play anything but dynamite)

Thanks Sammy and much love to anyone from Selby who reads this forum.

Swish

Social source share

• Replies 34
  • Views 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest topcatnumpty1

Swish ----ask Sammy if he wants to buy my cider all day -----as he did in 1979 at The Highwaymans Halt all dayer!!!!

c u soon

T..C

Social source share

I remember the Selby lot, they were all a little older than us, the girls were pretty & the guys thought they were the dogs danglies (Some of em was), one of the first places I went was on a bus from there to Hanley Top Rank 36 hour extravaganza where I was amazed by Frank Booper's dancing, my best mate Barry Cornthwaite (r.i.p.) worked with Sammy & some of the lads at Selby Shipyard but I don't remember them being around that long into the 70's (Think they'd done it all by then), I know the Dundas girls use to go to Prestatyn & Cleethorpes, plus I've seen Paul Weaver at Drax, usually after a round of golf & apparently Ady Dundas goes sometimes, I dont think I'd recognize any of them today, they & the York lot (And this isn't meant malicously or as an insult) were very much alike, full of Arrogance & their own self importance, Oh the joy of youth & a head full of hair. :D

Take care, be safe & remember, "Beauty fades, Clever is forever",

Spot. :shades:

Social source share

I am Leeds lot, Selby lot and York lot.

Yes, it's true we were full of our self importance.

It had to be that way.

There was a lot to deal with.

Social source share

I remember the Selby lot, they were all a little older than us, the girls were pretty & the guys thought they were the dogs danglies (Some of em was), one of the first places I went was on a bus from there to Hanley Top Rank 36 hour extravaganza where I was amazed by Frank Booper's dancing, my best mate Barry Cornthwaite (r.i.p.) worked with Sammy & some of the lads at Selby Shipyard but I don't remember them being around that long into the 70's (Think they'd done it all by then), I know the Dundas girls use to go to Prestatyn & Cleethorpes, plus I've seen Paul Weaver at Drax, usually after a round of golf & apparently Ady Dundas goes sometimes, I dont think I'd recognize any of them today, they & the York lot (And this isn't meant malicously or as an insult) were very much alike, full of Arrogance & their own self importance, Oh the joy of youth & a head full of hair. :D

Take care, be safe & remember, "Beauty fades, Clever is forever",

Spot. :shades:

Spot you would reconize sammy , hasn't changed at all apart from age

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

hi spot sorry to hear that barry is no longer with us,he was really nice lad we used to have a laugh at the shipyard,i did carry on into the middle to late 70s but having got married in 76 i had to cut down a bit,but i am still a soulie at heart, went to eggboro the other sat ,it was good to listen to the old sounds,and having a little dance,hope to go to drax this friday and the central alldayer on the 6th,maybe catch up with you,and you can tell me if i was one of the selby lot who was the dogs danglies

Social source share

• 4 months later...

I don't think it mattered where you were from way back then, all the Yorkshire crowds, Leeds, York, Selby, Bradford, Huddersfield, Halifax, Barnsley and Wakefield used to get on really well. It was a bit like the Three Musketeers, only there was a hell of a lot more of us. I've only got to know Sammy recently through hime re-introducing me to Ady Dundas after many years but every time we meet at the Central Alldayers it's like we grew up together, but isn't that what the whole scene was, and still is, about just one big family? But I think Pete's right, we big city boys from Leeds always thought we were the dogs bollocks.

Social source share

I don't think it mattered where you were from way back then, all the Yorkshire crowds, Leeds, York, Selby, Bradford, Huddersfield, Halifax, Barnsley and Wakefield used to get on really well. It was a bit like the Three Musketeers, only there was a hell of a lot more of us. I've only got to know Sammy recently through hime re-introducing me to Ady Dundas after many years but every time we meet at the Central Alldayers it's like we grew up together, but isn't that what the whole scene was, and still is, about just one big family? But I think Pete's right, we big city boys from Leeds always thought we were the dogs bollocks.

HI EASTY,

Got to agrre with the above sentiment. You always look out for "family" especially the people that you know and have known for years weather close to you or somewhat known from a distance.

Still that way today although not quite as strong a feeling as back in the day.

Nice to know that Swish is making regular appearances once again.

regards ROY

Social source share

Guest selmackie

if anyone is intrested ady dundas is havin his 60th birthday party on friday 11th of may 2012 at bubwith village hall near selby all who no him get down ktf

Social source share

will be there,what a dj line up he has on, would you expect anything else from one of the great lads from the start of our great adventure that we call northern soul,he took me to my ist nighter,up the junction , my life changed from that moment,for the best may i add,lol sammy

Social source share

Be good to all get back together again with the old crowed, we made the scene what it is today. Just a pity it's been hijack, I find it amazing the number liar's that claim to have visited the clubs in the old days.

Image from Va Va's

See you all at Ady's

Certified012.jpg

Social source share

Be good to all get back together again with the old crowed, we made the scene what it is today. Just a pity it's been hijack, I find it amazing the number liar's that claim to have visited the clubs in the old days.

Image from Va Va's

See you all at Ady's

Certified012.jpg

Excellent Stu, Friday night VA VA's mmmmm, now that was a crowded dance floor; i dont know where you keep getting the photographs and posters from? is your attic a tardis? but keep on with the good work, I wish i had looked after some of the ones i have had over the years, never mind. Ady has sent me an invite so to any body who knows me hope to see you there. Sammy have sent you an email.

Regards Jimmy Welsh.

Social source share

Guest selmackie

well hello sammy (DAVID) THEY ALSO CALLED YOUR PAUL SAMMY AND YOUR JOHN AS WELL BUT YOUR THE NO 1 SAMMY SEAMAN

Social source share

Guest selmackie

WAS AWAY AND THE FEB ONE KATIE AS BEEN IN HOSPITAL SO WAS OVER IN RUNCORN ( WAS GUTTED YOU WAS AT THE CENTRAL WHEN I FOUND OUT ) YES AM OFF TO ADYS 60TH HE RANG ME AND HE SENT ME A INVITE WILL SEND YOU ME NUMBER

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!