Eddie Billups Helppp/garpax

• Replies 30
  • Views 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

If you are talking about Shake off that dream - yes there are at least three variants of this recording on at least 4 labels - maybe 5 (brain died). The best conclusion that anyone could come to (and I think it came out from the John Richborg interviews on Sound Stage 7) was that Eddie was a journeyman who touted this song round to any label that would have it - 77 being another. Why he recorded it more than once - maybe he was trying to improve on it. I'd have to try and find em all to give you a better answer I'm afraid.

Social source share

here are all the presses I know

Helpp 003/4 Shake Off That Dream / Alone

Seventy 7 127 Shake Off That Dream / Try Something New

(both as eddie billups)

Garpax 123 Shake Off That Dream (remixed) / Mrs. M

(as eddie billips & The C.C.C.’s)

Solid Gold Shake Off That Dream (remixed) / Alone

(as Shorty Billups)

is this correct? are there any more releases? are there two versions, and the seventy seven and helpp versions are the same and the garpax and solid gold releases are the same? also, do all versions feature a male group backing? thanks a lot.

Social source share

also, what is the number of the solid gold release? there is one in popsike but without a release number. there is a second solid gold record by billups that is #2.

SGR-011 A/B Shorty Billups was/is Eddie Billups brother and if I remember correctly Eddie used his name for som legal reasons on the SGR relelase. Comparing the amount of copies havingbeen available I thinkits safe to say the Solid Gold release is the rarest format.

Social source share

all 3 of these youtube videos sound the same to me, just higher or lower fidelity (more or less muffled sounding).

however, i'm suspicious of coming to any conclusions from them because lots of people make youtube videos from an audio file and a found image, who knows whether they actually match above.

Social source share

SGR-011 A/B Shorty Billups was/is Eddie Billups brother and if I remember correctly Eddie used his name for som legal reasons on the SGR relelase. Comparing the amount of copies havingbeen available I thinkits safe to say the Solid Gold release is the rarest format.

the other billups on SGR in popsike says something about garpax on the label btw.

Social source share

all 3 of these youtube videos sound the same to me, just higher or lower fidelity (more or less muffled sounding).

however, i'm suspicious of coming to any conclusions from them because lots of people make youtube videos from an audio file and a found image, who knows whether they actually match above.

the second one definitely different to the first 77 youtube clip, you can hear the twangy guitar at the beginning and through it but not there on 77 one, it is there also on the SGR release.

Social source share

the second one definitely different to the first 77 youtube clip, you can hear the twangy guitar at the beginning and through it but not there on 77 one, it is there also on the SGR release.

ok thanks. it seems like it would be a different mix at best and not a different recording.

Social source share

the hellp copy is the same as seventy 7 (local/national issues from 1972

the solid gold copy same mix as the garpax issue albeit 10 seconds longer both issued in 1977

the 1977 remixes have funk guitars/tambourines and what to my ears soundslike someone blowin bubbles underwater added :D

the 77 copy and the solid gold copies in the you tube vids i own.....bought the solid gold from geordie j

hope that helps a bit

dave

Edited by dave pinch
Social source share

the solid gold copy same mix as the garpax issue albeit 10 seconds longer both issued in 1977

the 1977 remixes have funk guitars/tambourines and what to my ears soundslike someone blowin bubbles underwater added :D

the 77 copy and the solid gold copies in the you tube vids i own.....

hope that helps a bit

dave

thanks again i appreciate it

Social source share

I have a Solid Gold 12 of this, that is credited to someone else, cant remember name now, but is deffo Eddie Billups, there are three other tracks, again cant check titles as I'm not home. I have never seen the 12 before & have mentioned it on here before & had no info.

Anyway, there are deffo 2 different mixes, possibly 3..One is m ore 'Northern', one is more crossovery & one has bubbles.

Best Russ

Edited by Russ Vickers
Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

so.....

is the hellp the copy to have?

i have nearly bought the garpax a few times but never been sure whether to bite the bullet

Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

Does this mean you'd get the most OVO points and pats on the back or something?

errrr

what do you think?

might just be an inquisitive thing!

Social source share

It's Eddie Owen Russ.

I have all label releases of this great song.

It was only recorded once Ady. The Garpax is a remix, made funkier.

Can provide the various recordings and scans if required.

Eddie told me he touted it around 'cos it was just a great record!'

:0)

Sean

Thats it Sean....woohoo, thought I was going doolally for years with this until now.......what is the score with this release Sean ???. BTW Looking forward to seeing you at the 100 Club, should be home & raring to go go.

Best Russ

Social source share

I have a Solid Gold 12 of this, that is credited to someone else, cant remember name now, but is deffo Eddie Billups, there are three other tracks, again cant check titles as I'm not home. I have never seen the 12 before & have mentioned it on here before & had no info.

Anyway, there are deffo 2 different mixes, possibly 3..One is m ore 'Northern', one is more crossovery & one has bubbles.

Best Russ

Hi Russ, hope you are fine mate!

I think its SOUND OF GOLD and not Solid Gold

https://www.popsike.com/SOUND-OF-GOLD-MEGA-Rare-4Tk-12-EDDIE-BILLUPS-Soul-Disco/4877841938.html

Social source share

the 77 copy and the solid gold copies in the you tube vids i own.....bought the solid gold from geordie j

hope that helps a bit

dave

plus the 12inch on Sound Of Gold Russ seems to have ..

https://www.popsike.com/SOUND-OF-GOLD-MEGA-Rare-4Tk-12-EDDIE-BILLUPS-Soul-Disco/4877841938.html

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!