William Cummings - Make My Love A Hurting Thing

Guest Bearsy

Guest Bearsy

has this been booted and if so anyone got a label scan of it please and also an original label scan if possible,

many thanks

Bearsy

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

didnt think so but there is one on ebay at the moment thats looks like a red label when im sure it sure be a purple colour, does anyone know if there are any stamps or matrix numbers for it so i can ask the seller to confirm things are all ok ??

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Never booted,not as rare as the price tag now suggests,soul bowl had it in quantity way back

in that case has anyone got a clean perfectly playing copy for sale cheapish :D

Social source share

Did Soul Bowl have the instrumental in same quantities? Been playing it for a while and it always goes down well.....seen more copies of the vocal for sale even though its a grand more expensive!

I cant recall having seen more than two copies in the last three years of William Cummings...its not that easy to obtain really, is it ?

Marc

Social source share

I've seen maybe three to four in the last two years - its certainly not easy to find at all - but thats more copies than i've seen of the instrumental which is what prompted the question. Also I think what Soul Salmon is saying is the quantity of WC that SoulBowl had back int he day is probably staying in collections hence its rarity. Just wondered if the same went for Zeke & The Soul Setters?

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I've seen maybe three to four in the last two years - its certainly not easy to find at all - but thats more copies than i've seen of the instrumental which is what prompted the question. Also I think what Soul Salmon is saying is the quantity of WC that SoulBowl had back int he day is probably staying in collections hence its rarity. Just wondered if the same went for Zeke & The Soul Setters?

Cheers bud ,thats exactly what i was trying to say

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Did Soul Bowl have the instrumental in same quantities? Been playing it for a while and it always goes down well.....seen more copies of the vocal for sale even though its a grand more expensive!

didnt know there was an instumental of this :huh: any info you can share Joel please matey :g:

Social source share

Think Nev has the very original of the vocal version on Bang Bang?

at least his version is/was defo c&w (sorry nev) but I doubt its the first version...a fellow collector who also collects c&w once played me a very old version of MMLAHT which sounded like early fifties to my ears.

NB

please send me your file too, would love to hear the instumental version

Social source share

Funny you mentioning it Joel.....I just sent some cash in a mailer to pay for a 45 and decided to stick the lance hill in as a stiffener .lol

I'll stick with my William Cummings on bang bang :)

P.s bearsy i haven't forgot but good luck if you find one in the meantime.

Social source share

Never booted,not as rare as the price tag now suggests,soul bowl had it in quantity way back

I'm not saying this wasnt the case, but what quantity are we talking about here & how do we know ???.........Whilst it was played at the Mecca, it never really got the true recognition it deserved until much later, so was there a demand for it then ?.

The original run couldnt have been more than 300/500 (?)......In my experience a difficult record to locate......certainly no copies swanning around in Richmond when I was there & I worked very hard at locating copies & in the end bought my copy from the UK, that one came from an old burnt out record store in Richmond, in which I spent a memorable day covered in soot n sh*t, with no electrics & literally risked life & limb going thru the stock, only to find the dynamic duo of Chris & Shifty had hit it a few weeks before......where you guessed it, Shifty found the WC that I ended up buying :lol: .

Russ

Social source share

I'm not saying this wasnt the case, but what quantity are we talking about here & how do we know ???.........Whilst it was played at the Mecca, it never really got the true recognition it deserved until much later, so was there a demand for it then ?.

The original run couldnt have been more than 300/500 (?)......In my experience a difficult record to locate......certainly no copies swanning around in Richmond when I was there & I worked very hard at locating copies & in the end bought my copy from the UK, that one came from an old burnt out record store in Richmond, in which I spent a memorable day covered in soot n sh*t, with no electrics & literally risked life & limb going thru the stock, only to find the dynamic duo of Chris & Shifty had hit it a few weeks before......where you guessed it, Shifty found the WC that I ended up buying :lol: .

Russ

Always rare. I got my original copy in 1975 from Steve Caesar in Leeds who I think got it from Stuart Cosgrove when he was over in Washington studying in the mid 70's. I'm pretty sure mine went to Pat Brady in the late 80's. Never really seen it since...........

Ian D :D

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

lets not talk about Nev and his copy he is selfish and keeps refusing to sell it to me frusty2.gif:wicked::D :D

Social source share

Same as Richard Caiton eh :ohmy:

If it was being sold by soul bowl " back then " ....did they have that many that everyone who wanted it could get one?

The label is local ,so probs no large quantity? ....even if soul bowl had a 50 count ,or even a 100 count box ,it would still be rare .

I think what your really saying is ,if this was to your liking back when soul bowl had a few copies,you would be lucky enough to have gotten a copy for peanuts.

Just like those who were fortunate to nab a Richard Caiton back when soul bowl had em in quantity .

I havent seen many William Cummings for sale ,the last one i saw was Tony Parkers copy ,which wouldnt count as it was a re-sale ...other than the copy on ebay now ,which i'm led to believe is also a re-listed copy due to the seller being evasive with his facts ...thus meaning no bugger trusts him enough to part with their cash :g:

As for the other version ..it could well be rarer but sadly it's not a patch on the W.Cummings ,so it will never matter ....demand = price :yes:

Social source share

Which other version do you mean Nev - the country one (obviously bad news) or the instrumental? If you mean the latter its pointless to compare - it doesn't have vocals so its a totally different sort of record really!

Hi Joel

Zeke and the soul setters (hit bound)

Was sort of trying to answer the question to your post above...

" Did Soul Bowl have the instrumental in same quantities? Been playing it for a while and it always goes down well.....seen more copies of the vocal for sale even though its a grand more expensive! "

Its a grand more expensive because its more indemand as imho it's far superior :wink:

P.s Notice how i said "IMHO" :wave:

Social source share

Yes i was asking more about the rarity of it rather than it's comparative price. I would say though that more people will know Wc than the instrumental - at least most i've spoken to, but it maybe an oldie in some parts, not sure - but of course vocals will always be coveted more, stands to reason :)

Edited by corbett80
Social source share

could you please bring it to switzerland in december nev?

Of course Henning .... to be honest i'm glad this has been mentioned as i havent played it for ages ..why ???i don't know :ohmy:

Edited by NEV
Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Of course Henning .... to be honest i'm glad this has been mentioned as i havent played it for ages ..why ???i don't know :ohmy:

:ohmy: sounds like it needs a good home that will love cherish and play the fook out of it if you ask me Nev :wicked::lol:

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

this really is a tough one to find ive put it up as a want a few times on here and scoured and asked everyone and anyone for a copy over the last 2/3 years and apart from the ones i know own a copy (a hand full) it very rarely ever comes up for sale and when it does it aint cheap, its not just rare and bloody expensive it is above all a fooking amazing Soul record of the highest quality imho of course

Social source share

has this been booted and if so anyone got a label scan of it please and also an original label scan if possible,

many thanks

Bearsy

ORIGINAL COPY HAS A TINY LITTLE TRIANGLE ,PRESSED IN THE RUN OUT GROOVE ,WITH THREE CAPITOL LETTERS INSIDE THAT LOOK LIKE

I

AM

post-5460-0-85984900-1317998191_thumb.jp

Social source share

........"its not just rare and bloody expensive it is above all a fooking amazing Soul record of the highest quality imho of course"

I second that!

Been looking for one ever since I heard it at the Dome years ago.

So hard to find one that someone is willing to part with. Even if you have the cash waiting......... :yes:

One day Willie Cummings will be in my grasp ! :huh::D

Social source share

This was on Lew Stanleys auction about 3yrs back along with a wdj of the Devotions on nation ...i ummed and arred which one i would go for :g:

My mind was made up when the lovely Marsha updated me on the latest offers on both ...put in a conservative bid and to my surprise W.C was mine :ohmy:

Amazingly a mate of mine made a call to a contact in the USA only last yr and bagged one for himself at the same price as mine :yes:

So if it helps ...they are out there ....it's a case of who you know and not what you know :thumbsup:

Social source share

Still not talking about a lot of copies in three or so years - compared to some similarly priced records. Whats the flip like Nev?

Nothing to write home about Joel..... but if mem serves me right, according to those Ol' Virginia soul cd's ,he cut another 45 on the label and it sounded good ,but ive never ever seen it or know of anyone who has one ?

So if it does exist it must be rarer than the m.m.l.a.h.t :yes:

Social source share

A friend of mine was telling me that the Zeke & the Soul Setters discs all came out in a relatively short period of time. One of the band, Zeke maybe, was terminally ill & they were trying to score a hit before he passed on, thats why William Cummings & Jay Griffin were credited, so the records wernt all credited to the band as such, apparently both were members of ZATSS & WC was actually a horn player.........not sure how reliable this info is, but interesting all the same.

Best Russ

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Nothing to write home about Joel..... but if mem serves me right, according to those Ol' Virginia soul cd's ,he cut another 45 on the label and it sounded good ,but ive never ever seen it or know of anyone who has one ?

So if it does exist it must be rarer than the m.m.l.a.h.t :yes:

Apparently there is another 45 by WC & was told it was quite funky, but never seen or heard it myself, think it was Andy Dyson who told me this ?

Best Russ

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

I second that!

Been looking for one ever since I heard it at the Dome years ago.

So hard to find one that someone is willing to part with. Even if you have the cash waiting......... :yes:

One day Willie Cummings will be in my grasp ! :huh::D

ditto Eddie sometimes money cant buy you something :hatsoff2:

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Apparently there is another 45 by WC & was told it was quite funky, but never seen or heard it myself, think it was Andy Dyson who told me this ?

Best Russ

yes there is another ive seen it and heard it somewhere a while back but was shite, would buy it for me dad and he likes a bit of shit kicking music now and then, yea har :lol:

Social source share

yes there is another ive seen it and heard it somewhere a while back but was shite, would buy it for me dad and he likes a bit of shit kicking music now and then, yea har :lol:

Paul.. the other 45 by W.C is called "your soul searchn love " and it most certainly ain't shite :no:

very hard to find indeed ....infact very,very hard to find indeed :yes:

Social source share

A friend of mine was telling me that the Zeke & the Soul Setters discs all came out in a relatively short period of time. One of the band, Zeke maybe, was terminally ill & they were trying to score a hit before he passed on, thats why William Cummings & Jay Griffin were credited,

Guy Hennigan used to play the instrumental take (Zeke & Soul Setters) every now and then, but wasn't one of his 'A list' spins.

The Jay Griffin was around in quantity (£8 or less - Domar had loads) and is an excellent tune...worth checking out, if y'all don't know it.

William Cummings...never floated my boat, so if I alleviate a copy from the ones in collections over here, you can be sure it'll end up within my sales pages.

:hatsoff2:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!