What Is Wrong With You Promoters ?

Yet Another Oldies V Rare Underplayed /Forward Thinking Post in Disguise! :shhh: ! :sleep3:

Not until turns it into one.

Everybody's moanin' that there ain't enough people to go round- but with every Night having around 200 in-Nighters 500 in and weekenders over 1000 in .

That adds up to...........

let me see

85 x 200

plus

er

5 x 500

plus a coupla 1000

Well,

Loads.

Tony

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

gotta remember that there are a fare few handbagging do's amongst em......do's that if they wern,t on the punters at em would go nowhere else anyway add to that all the promoters and dj,s that only go out when they're promoting and djing. Then add in the factor that there are do's from Devon to scotland which won,t apply to most because of distance and you,ll probably find theres only one or two events on :lol:

p.s those that say northern soul and motown......fit in the first catagory :lol: :lol:

Edited by gordon russell
Social source share

ref. ps...if you were serious ? not always,im guesting at a night in bath on friday which is advertised as northern,tamla and i cant talk for the other djs but i certainly wont be playing any handbag soul!...even if i do slip a couple of motown tracks in..for a change..

dean

whats handbag soul, cheers billy
Social source share

Gavin tells me there are 126 soul weekenders globally next year.....ohmy.png

wow ...the majority must take place in the UK though..only five in Germany, one in Switzerland, two (?) in Italy, half a handful in Spain.one in France (if that is going to happen again in 2012?)..leaves about 100+ for the UK..thats about two a week ohmy.png

Social source share

wow ...the majority must take place in the UK though..only five in Germany, one in Switzerland, two (?) in Italy, half a handful in Spain.one in France (if that is going to happen again in 2012?)..leaves about 100+ for the UK..thats about two a week ohmy.png

There's about 30 listed in events/weekenders up until September next year I think. Thats world wide but I guess not everyone uses SS to advertise. Still the equivalent of over two per month between now and then.

Social source share

There are certainly still plenty of punters out there, which is good, but the lack of unity such a situation brings isnt positive.

So many many middle aged men who wanna dj, myself included, thats great if it stems from a passion for music, rather than a desire to feed an ego, the former reason leads to musical diversity and quality, :hatsoff2: the later can lead to punters hearing hammered pricey oldies over and over again or sub standard but again expensive, exclusives's imho. :sleep3:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Not until turns it into one.

Everybody's moanin' that there ain't enough people to go round- but with every Night having around 200 in-Nighters 500 in and weekenders over 1000 in .

That adds up to...........

let me see

85 x 200

plus

er

5 x 500

plus a coupla 1000

Well,

Loads.

Tony

Every soul night having 200 in..?

85 x 200 = 17,000.(ave of £5 otd = £85,000)

5 x 500 = 2,500.(ave £10 otd = £25,000)

+ 2,000.(add another £20,000)

21,500 peeps on the move this weekend? :lol: £130,000 thru the tills.? :lol: I'm starting one up................

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Supply and Demand?

or

Greed and Arrogance?

The strongest will survive, as always.

Ed

when i first joined Soul Source back in 2006 ish i remember looking in the events section to see where else i could go apart from in the South East to get a soul fix and there only used to be about 2 or 3 on a Friday and 20-30 on a Saturday at most, i started a thread either beginning or this year or last year saying that there was night on 70 events on one weekend, at this rate there will be over 100 evants on this time next year, is this amount of events on week in week out really doing the scene any favours ?? i dont think so but choice IS good but too much choice cant be good can it ??

the cost of living, petrol and everything else must have an effect and is this part of the reason somany events are popping up and the sheer amount of people wanting to dj cos they beleive they can do a better job than other djs they have to listen too must all add up to these mass of events, me im staying in again cos im skint but if i wasnt skint would i be out ?? probably not cos most of these events just dont do it for me, musically very sub standard and boring with djs prancing around behind the decks having the time of their lifes but go back into a comotosed state as soon as they finished djn, no passion for the music just about them :sleep3:

:hatsoff2:

Social source share

i often wonder how much bitching went on before forums like this ..... there does seem to be an awful lot of bithcing about 'other dj's' and assumptions that people know how other people live there lives ..... good grief :facepalm:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Bearsy

i often wonder how much bitching went on before forums like this ..... there does seem to be an awful lot of bithcing about 'other dj's' and assumptions that people know how other people live there lives ..... good grief :facepalm:

really Mike wheres that been written ?? or you just bitching for the sake of it, this thread is about opinions on the amount of events on this weekend your post says naff all about that, work that one out :rolleyes:

Social source share

when i first joined Soul Source back in 2006 ish i remember looking in the events section to see where else i could go apart from in the South East to get a soul fix and there only used to be about 2 or 3 on a Friday and 20-30 on a Saturday at most, i started a thread either beginning or this year or last year saying that there was night on 70 events on one weekend, at this rate there will be over 100 evants on this time next year, is this amount of events on week in week out really doing the scene any favours ?? i dont think so but choice IS good but too much choice cant be good can it ??

the cost of living, petrol and everything else must have an effect and is this part of the reason somany events are popping up and the sheer amount of people wanting to dj cos they beleive they can do a better job than other djs they have to listen too must all add up to these mass of events, me im staying in again cos im skint but if i wasnt skint would i be out ?? probably not cos most of these events just dont do it for me, musically very sub standard and boring with djs prancing around behind the decks having the time of their lifes but go back into a comotosed state as soon as they finished djn, no passion for the music just about them :sleep3:

:hatsoff2:

do you dj by any chance ?

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

do you dj by any chance ?

yes Mike im one of them i wrote about, your problem is what ?? i dj about 1 in every 5 nights i go out, i never ask to dj and never will and if asked i will consider if i could do that event justice if not i would rather not dj, im a soulie first and not a promoter or a wannabe dj, can you tell me you have never felt the same as the points you have highlighted, how often do you go out and do you ever dj ??

Edited by Bearsy
Social source share

yes Mike im one of them i wrote about, your problem is what ??

no problem Bearsy .... its just opening a thread thinking it may be of interest and saddened when a lot of em just turn into bitching about other dj's and assuming they know what people do in there lives .... its become quite common sadly

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Bearsy

no problem Bearsy .... its just opening a thread thinking it may be of interest and saddened when a lot of em just turn into bitching about other dj's and assuming they know what people do in there lives .... its become quite common sadly

where has anyone written they know how djs live their lives, you have quoted me, why ?

why dont you put something of an opinion about the thread instead of starting accusations about what you think people are writing or saying, if you have no opinion i would prefer you go pick on someone else cos personally i couldnt give a fook if you had enougbh of people saying what they THEMSELVES what their OWN opinions are, over to you :hatsoff2:

Social source share

my opinion of the thread is that it appears every couple of weeks but under different headings. same result time and time again: too many gigs, these do's are crap coz they play this, were better coz we play that ... the scene is split .... i'm a 'proper' soulie and they are not because they dont do the same as me ..... ad infinitum

they all turn into a bitch fest eventually under the disguise of opinions .... never reaching any conclusion.

....and no i dont have to read them that is why i wont return to this one :hatsoff2:

best regards,

mike

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

my opinion of the thread is that it appears every couple of weeks but under different headings. same result time and time again: too many gigs, these do's are crap coz they play this, were better coz we play that ... the scene is split .... i'm a 'proper' soulie and they are not because they dont do the same as me ..... ad infinitum

they all turn into a bitch fest eventually under the disguise of opinions .... never reaching any conclusion.

....and no i dont have to read them that is why i wont return to this one :hatsoff2:

best regards,

mike

your defo reading a different thread to the one im reading, hey ho :wave:

Social source share

your defo reading a different thread to the one im reading, hey ho :wave:

There's 92 do's on, and you said you're skint but you probably wouldn't go out if you weren't cos the events are 'musically sub standard and boring', how can you possibly know that? I get it nothing appeals to you, but the need to make such a sweeping generalisation, that I don't get.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

best regards,

mike

I pretty much agree with this, I don't really get the point of the thread. 92 soul related events, I agree that's too many, so what happens next?

Social source share

For the record- :) - I ain't a promoter.

I do gob off about a certain night in particular.

Cos-

1) I can walk to it, have a few pints and walk home.

2) I like the music policy

3) I get to play a few .

4) If I didn't, it would be over before Steve got round to telling anybody it was on... :lol:

I don't get to as many as I would like to- however, The ones I do go to are the ones where I enjoy the range of sounds on offer and you will find me vocal in my support for those.

ATB

Tony

• Helpful 1
Social source share

post-16505-0-88442500-1317850077_thumb.j

post-16505-0-82977200-1317850095.jpg Mmmm if anyone is stuck what to buy me for Christmas, you can forget the Mulberry Handbag, this little beauty is the one for me :D

post-16505-0-53430900-1317850109_thumb.j

post-16505-0-72712300-1317850124_thumb.j Lads, don't zoom in on the label either, it is a handbag night after all :wicked: & I'm not having a dig at handbag nights, I like them too :thumbsup: I just found these bags interesting :)

I WANT ONE,MAY BE TWO BILLY :g:

Social source share

i wonder how much bitching about bitching went on before...

can't you see that you posting up your bitches has just caused more bitching

there's a button called new topic - try starting a few new topics if don't like other members topics

Social source share

i wonder how much bitching about bitching went on before...

can't you see that you posting up your bitches has just caused more bitching

there's a button called new topic - try starting a few new topics if don't like other members topics

Ah yes Mike, but then people would start bitching about the thread that was started because of bitching about bitching on the other thread which means the new thread would then have people bitching about people bitching about people bitching on the original thread.

Life's a bitch sometimes

• Helpful 1
Social source share

When you turn up with a bag over your shoulder ..with slippy shoes..spare vest (with

badges) ..talc ..oh and some nice spray for under your arm pits :P

Get ready were gonna swing

Going going to a handbging

Got my slippy shoes and holdall on

Spray my talc and dance all night long

Gonna do what we feel

f*ck You !

Were gonna dance at THE twisted wheeeeel

Get ready were gonna swing

Going going to an happening

Who are you the soul police????

Edited by chalky
edited the quote tags, i.e. reply was inside the tags.
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Promoters are the problem not punters. Just looked local to me and there are 21 promotions this weekend.

Saturday, there is Wakefield, Knottingly and Leeds, all within close proximity to each other, especially Wakefield and Knottingly which are just 20 minutes apart. Surely it would be better too have one packed promotion than three with smaller poorer attendances. Not saying who is in the right or wrong...all three might be packed but from what I have heard that is far from the case at times. There are more than one event in places like Sheffield and Barnsley with two or more within 30 minutes drive of each other. I dare say this is repeated all over the country?

Surely at some point common sense has to take over?

Maybe it is time promoters got together, put on a bigger event locally, catering for everyone, oldies with other stuff intelligently mixed with some imagination? Attendees have also got to do their part and accept they won't like every record, accept others will like what they won't and show a bit of patience and understanding.

This would all make for a healthier and stronger scene, not just locally but nationally too.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Promoters are the problem not punters. Just looked local to me and there are 21 promotions this weekend.

Saturday, there is Wakefield, Knottingly and Leeds, all within close proximity to each other, especially Wakefield and Knottingly which are just 20 minutes apart. Surely it would be better too have one packed promotion than three with smaller poorer attendances. Not saying who is in the right or wrong...all three might be packed but from what I have heard that is far from the case at times. There are more than one event in places like Sheffield and Barnsley with two or more within 30 minutes drive of each other. I dare say this is repeated all over the country?

Surely at some point common sense has to take over?

Maybe it is time promoters got together, put on a bigger event locally, catering for everyone, oldies with other stuff intelligently mixed with some imagination? Attendees have also got to do their part and accept they won't like every record, accept others will like what they won't and show a bit of patience and understanding.

This would all make for a healthier and stronger scene, not just locally but nationally too.

That would appear to be Common Sense.

Unfortunately, Common Sense just isn't that Common.

ATB

Tony

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Here`s the thing:-

Of all the "events" that are on every weekend does absolutely everybody really enjoy themselves because there is a lot of moaning about the "top 500" formula nights,but never a direct criticism in lookbacks,just lots of "backslapping"(sycophantic behaviour).

Or don`t most of you have anything else to do? :ohmy:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Here`s the thing:-

Of all the "events" that are on every weekend does absolutely everybody really enjoy themselves because there is a lot of moaning about the "top 500" formula nights,but never a direct criticism in lookbacks,just lots of "backslapping"(sycophantic behaviour).

Or don`t most of you have anything else to do? :ohmy:

Maybe most are of the opinion that if nowt good to say then don't say owt.

Social source share

My idea with so many events in Manchester was to ask another promotion to join me, just take one of the dates we both had each month... One promotion each month with our joint crowd and freinds...

Look at monthly promotion, maybe its too often.... if there are 2 events clashing each month then look at bi- monthly, then you could both get all the crowd at each event..

Put your toys back in the pram and lets have promoters chatting to each other.... There is a way but you would have to play at being an adult, some folk aint quite there yet...

Peace and love you son of a bitch...... :hatsoff2:

Edited by little-stevie
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

With age creeping on many of us are gonna retire, thousands of soulies then with pensions, lump sums....

Maybe billy big balls promoter as got this in mind....

Never mind weekenders, lets have soul weeks :lol: ..... no f"ck it, a soul month....

I joke but bet some have got this kind of thing in mind.... :ohmy: ....

Social source share

Maybe most are of the opinion that if nowt good to say then don't say owt.

It could be that they actually enjoy themselves, how many of the alleged sycophants venture onto threads like this, how often do those complaining about the top 500 go onto a lookback thread to give a view? If you haven't been to the event difficult to hold a position, so can't really comment directly on the thread, better it seems, to come onto/start a seperate thread and call them 'handbag' or 'sub standard and boring', not exactly building bridges or attempting to unite the scene. Yourself and Andy have both made positive comments recently regarding having oldies lovers at your events, that's the way forward surely?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!