What Is Wrong With You Promoters ?

Guest enduro

I was reading some old fanzines the other day from the mid to late 90's and there is no mention of handbaggers or slagging northern and motown nights off. The old fanzines seem to be more focused about the music and having a fun and a unity for the music rather than picking up on where people go what tunes they listen to or if its a boot or not. I think a lot of people have forgot why we are into the scene no wonder the scene is so fragmented.

do you suffer from some form of memory loss?

just in case you do then i'll remind you of your 'sad t****' comment on a grovenor rooms thread!

Edited by enduro
Social source share

do you suffer from some form of memory loss?

just in case you do then i'll remind you of your 'sad t****' comment on a grovenor rooms thread!

Well if you read my comment on that thread properly you would realise its not aimed at anyone in particular so take it as you see fit. :hatsoff2:

Social source share

Guest enduro

Well if you read my comment on that thread properly you would realise its not aimed at anyone in particular so take it as you see fit. :hatsoff2:

take note sad *****, this is what northern is all about! ring any bells?

no not aimed at anyone in particular, just anyone who likes different to the grovenor. how can anyone see it any other way?

Social source share

Have been involved in promoting events in the Northants area for the last 6 years and despite some of the bad press the area gets (mainly on here from a few individuals) up untill recentley I thought local promoters managed to communicate quite well. not much clashing and events spread around.

However it only takes someone to come along and put an event on too close to another as happened locally a while back and everybody is a loser ...attendees dont want it as it comprimises the events they can afford to attend and promoters get the arse cos numbers can be down.

Tried making this point a few years back on here and basically got accused of being jealous of another event which was not the case.....funny, that event has since finished after a short run but we are still going so . I suppose the lesson is be respectful to attendees and other promoters and right will out.

All that said I notice that another long established local promoter has decided to clash directly with the next event at the Pemberton Centre in December (Pembo dates for 2011 been posted up for over a year) and this event only added recentley, events are within an 8 mile radius and musically will be very similar...ridiculous in my opinion :huh: ....but hey dont say we didnt try.

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Right then, that's it, the weekend's (nearly ) over.

Anybody honest enough to tell us how they did ??

Tony

stayed in after all that :lol:

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Have been involved in promoting events in the Northants area for the last 6 years and despite some of the bad press the area gets (mainly on here from a few individuals) up untill recentley I thought local promoters managed to communicate quite well. not much clashing and events spread around.

However it only takes someone to come along and put an event on too close to another as happened locally a while back and everybody is a loser ...attendees dont want it as it comprimises the events they can afford to attend and promoters get the arse cos numbers can be down.

Tried making this point a few years back on here and basically got accused of being jealous of another event which was not the case.....funny, that event has since finished after a short run but we are still going so . I suppose the lesson is be respectful to attendees and other promoters and right will out.

All that said I notice that another long established local promoter has decided to clash directly with the next event at the Pemberton Centre in December (Pembo dates for 2011 been posted up for over a year) and this event only added recentley, events are within an 8 mile radius and musically will be very similar...ridiculous in my opinion :huh: ....but hey dont say we didnt try.

to right fella......didn,t another local promoter borrow his mates avetar.....so he could write a vile nasty lookback about your event.....so you wouldn,t know who did it........that takes the biscuit :wink: .....what was his name? can you remember?.........slipped my mind

Edited by gordon russell
Social source share

In the south, there are far too many people promoting, too many little ego driven scenes and too many do's by far....One of the reasons for this is the way the Scooter scene has kind of worked it's way inside the Soul scene and as such we now have promoters and DJ's all over the scene who were not around in the 70s and 80s...Having said that, it is probably not worth discussing because there is nothing that can be done, if people have others who will attend their venues then nothing anybody says on here will have any affect... :hatsoff2:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Right then, that's it, the weekend's (nearly ) over.

Anybody honest enough to tell us how they did ??

Tony

Haigh hall niter oldies room very busy,rare room with a very good line up bout a fifth full.Lots of talk from some people,and lots of action from others.

Social source share

played in bath..was as i expected only a couple of dozen tops BUT was just a little room at the back of a pub...free entry...me (playing ovo,trying to slip some unknown things in) and the 2 residents one playing mainly handbag motown,the other classics,the expensive ones being reissues etc they are a couple who support go go children and are tryin to do a little something for bath.....bath has always been a hard nut to crack with very few locals into soul and unlike bristol the younger ones dont really seem to wanna know...with the local travellers mainly travelling to torquay and porthcawl on saturday i knew it would be quiter than last time i played...but it was a favour for some friends and i always try to play if people are nice enuff to ask me!...and a chance to give some flyers out for weston this friday and go go children too so.....

dean

Social source share

to right fella......didn,t another local promoter borrow his mates avetar.....so he could write a vile nasty lookback about your event.....so you wouldn,t know who did it........that takes the biscuit :wink: .....what was his name? can you remember?.........slipped my mind

Such..Matters should maybe discussed elsewhere :wink: However that incident and others plus the latest direct clash , has lead us to seriousley consider the future for the Pembo , its looking like December's event with Soul Sam will be the last, if people are gonna stoop that low then we aint playing, we have all got better stuff to do, good news is that Len Dopson is jumping back on board for this one in an effort to send the Pembo off with a bang and help get support for Soul Sam who, when we first asked was reluctant to visit Northants due to a certain run in with a Northants promoter. however in His words He had heard good reports about the venue so said yes!.

Ref. the event that is clashing, what I find distasteful is that it is billed as a charity night, nothing wrong in that very worthy but surely if you genuinely wanted to earn as much as possible for this,why would you compromise the ammount you could raise by clashing . I know of at least fifty people that are attending the Pembo from the Rushden/Wellingboro area that would have also attended this event if on another night and other dates are available at this venue!

Being a commitee member for a registered charity myself, working hard along with others for charitable local causes.this is a subject very close to my heart,so to see a good cause maybe not fully benefit really angers me atb Jem :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Ref the original question...it's a good one I think and has certainly generated some passionate / emotional comments, like so many other threads on here.

Ref posts above from Jem & Chris...As a fairly new "regular" to the Pembo + most other local(ish) soul nights as well as increasing number of events further away, I too think it a shame in a way that December's could well be the last there. Certainly hope it won't be the end of events in soulful Rushden though! I also sincerely hope it's the last local clash of dates (within say 20 mile radius, just for purpose of this post), as a good few punters would like to go to both events..me included actually. I did make effort to go to two on the same eve a few months back when two local established nights clashed, but I won't personally do that again in December for various reasons.

Ref this thread and hundreds of others like it which I've read since I discovered SoulSource (only last year, I'll be honest)....Ref all the dozens of conversations I've had at different nights since I started going out more just over a year or ago as a relative "newbie" to soul nights...Ref all the people I've met and talked to / got to know a bit and the countless hours on the phone talking about soul and soul nights etc etc (you know who you are!)...

....Basically it can't be more than 2 years ago I had absolutely NO IDEA of the size and depth of the cave I was entering when I ventured outside my own little cocoon of a record room!!! Hell, I don't mind admitting, honestly, that I didn't even know I could listen to music on YouTube and other places like it until last year + had never used ebay either. Had never needed to, as just happy buying records from one or two trusted shops / websites when I had the time to look and when I could afford them.

Scary to then somehow make a decision to have my first go at putting on a night at a "new" venue this July, after first seeking the agreement and support of some respected and established local promoters / DJs.

This was not to make any money or to try to "compete" (far from it!), but to help the venue owner make more people aware of the impressive refurbishment of his premises....which myself and a few others thought was ideal for a soul night. Okay hands up that it did also follow some months of me getting interested and having a go for the first time at playing some original records outside the house, but I'm NOT a DJ and have not really done anything much more than a few very local early doors 45 mins spots in all honesty. Have really enjoyed the experience without stepping on anyone's toes, but hats off to all the established DJs out there as it's only now I have a fuller appreciation and even more respect for what you guys and gals do!

Anyway, what I'm trying to get to is that I had no idea how much effort had to go into making a night go well, and I also didn't really have an appreciation until that point about just how many events do actually go on across the UK. Feedback was strong for a second night and after SERIOUS deliberation about whether to go ahead, and even more deliberation about a date which wouldn't clash with anything else locally or otherwise (which I now know is impossible), a second date is booked for this year, but I'm really not sure about 2012 at this moment. Why? I can clearly see there's enough nights on already & I enjoy too much going to the ones I like and collecting / listening / dancing / discovering amazing new sounds to my ears as well appreciating the records I know and love . I don't enjoy the politics and soul mood-hoovering.

ATB, Steve.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Two good posts Chris and Steve , lots of insight and some very salient points raised.

Steve dont be put off trying your night out at the "Snooks" You have the use of a great venue plus the support of most in the area , wether you do 2 or 200 I wish you the best of luck and will support and help if needed plus attend when I can.

Chris I take on board the issues raised ref. the Pembo ie poor managment , bar staff etc. and yes you are right all the things make you wonder wether its worth carrying on sometimes and i do accept the following rules if you are promoting.

Rule 1.Remember No one asked you to promote an event.

2.Expect criticism, moans from customers and venue manager/owners ..you cant please all the people etc.

3. You will get other promoters bitching

And so on you get the picture . I know you have been there mate, all in a days work really and part of the job so to speak , yes you may have a point sometimes a venue runs its course and comes to a natural end. Accept all of that and am happy to move on as you know have plenty of future projects (not all N.Soul related) to be getting on with.

However the direct clashing subject takes it to another level. bear in mind in 5 years of promoting in the area this is the first time i can remember another promoter ever doing it. This on the back of other related incidents confirms it is personal in my opinion.... Gonna move on now......but would ask people to remember this.

When this promoter comments on the over inflated! looksback fo the December event in question. I guarantee it will include the following,or similar phrases sentances.

"great night! well attended considering there was another local event on"

"good ammount raised for the charity or cause".

In advance all I ask is that people understand it could have been better attended and more dosh could have been raised for the cause.

atb. over n out Jem :wink:

Edited by gogopro
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest kev such

I had initially no intention of replying to the claims made regarding the unfortunte clash of events locally in December. But when it was stated that I "DECIDED to clash directly" with the next event at The Pemberton centre and it was "personall" and this may cause the Pemberton centre event to end, I felt obliged to set the record straight.

I was informed 8 days prior to the March 2011 event that the venue at which we had held The Cream Cracker for the last 5 years had gone bust and was closed.

Luckily, Tresham Hall in Rothwell was available on the 19th, consequently the Cream Cracker could go ahead as planned. However we knew that this venue would only be a stop gap as it was full to capacity at approx 130. The Anniversay and Charity Cream Cracker usually have numbers exceeding this. Therefore another venue had to be found.

As anyone knows finding a venue that ticks all, or as many boxes as possible is difficult. We needed a 2am finish, talc friendly, cheap bar prices, large carpark, approx 200 capacity venue to cater for "The Jacobs" by the 21st of May. After visiting Burton Latimer Community Centre we knew we had found what we were looking for. The only problem was the available dates. We had to reschedule the remaining Cream Crackers for 2011 to fit in. The only date available to us for the Christams Charity Cream Cracker was the 10th of December. IF there had been another date available we would have taken it. The Community Centre manager ( Jill) even tried her utmost to move her 3rd of December kids Christmas party to the 10th so we could have the 3rd. But she couldnt. Also Trevor Butlands widow, Mandy had already informed the chosen childrens charity that they would be receiving the money raised, in December to coincide with the first anniversary of Trevors passing.

THERE IS NO WAY WE WOULD HAVE "CLASHED" WITH THE PEMBERTON CENTRE IF IT COULD HAVE BEEN AVOIDED.

And to quote a third party (above) "its unfortunate timing is not, I repeat not the reason for the likely ending of the Pembo".

Kind Regards

Kev

Edited by kev such
Social source share

I had initially no intention of replying to the claims made regarding the unfortunte clash of events locally in December. But when it was stated that I "DECIDED to clash directly" with the next event at The Pemberton centre and it was "personall" and this may cause the Pemberton centre event to end, I felt obliged to set the record straight.

I was informed 8 days prior to the March 2011 event that the venue at which we had held The Cream Cracker for the last 5 years had gone bust and was closed.

Luckily, Tresham Hall in Rothwell was available on the 19th, consequently the Cream Cracker could go ahead as planned. However we knew that this venue would only be a stop gap as it was full to capacity at approx 130. The Anniversay and Charity Cream Cracker usually have numbers exceeding this. Therefore another venue had to be found.

As anyone knows finding a venue that ticks all, or as many boxes as possible is difficult. We needed a 2am finish, talc friendly, cheap bar prices, large carpark, approx 200 capacity venue to cater for "The Jacobs" by the 21st of May. After visiting Burton Latimer Community Centre we knew we had found what we were looking for. The only problem was the available dates. We had to reschedule the remaining Cream Crackers for 2011 to fit in. The only date available to us for the Christams Charity Cream Cracker was the 10th of December. IF there had been another date available we would have taken it. The Community Centre manager ( Jill) even tried her utmost to move her 3rd of December kids Christmas party to the 10th so we could have the 3rd. But she couldnt. Also Trevor Butlands widow, Mandy had already informed the chosen childrens charity that they would be receiving the money raised, in December to coincide with the first anniversary of Trevors passing.

THERE IS NO WAY WE WOULD HAVE "CLASHED" WITH THE PEMBERTON CENTRE IF IT COULD HAVE BEEN AVOIDED.

And to quote a third party (above) "its unfortunate timing is not, I repeat not the reason for the likely ending of the Pembo".

Kind Regards

Kev

Sorry Kev but no one has said that the clashing was the only reason for the likely ending of the Pembo , please read the posts carefully...more like the final straw in a list of other incidents and not forgetting your self proclaimed war with us and whatever we promote!. Let me ask you a question if the boot was on the other foot how loud would you squeal.. pretty damn loud I know.

I have read your excuses/reasons for having to take the 10th and quite frankly if dates were not available in December why not do it in January , remember you changed your venue. We checked your original dates When We booked 10th to aviod your event so the owness was on you.The fact is you knew the Pembo was on the 10th and you chose to clash with it ...didnt even have the decencey to contact us and explain ...read into that what you wish.

Ref. promising the money to the charity in Dec, dont wash mate, I am a committee member of a registered charity (swivelclub.com) no 1138750 check out the website we donate to major charities as well and can confirm the is no pressure to donate money immiedately. We raised £500 for crazy hats cancer appeal and £500 for Help for heros through our music festival on 27th August this year, help for heros got there money approx a month later and crazy hats had their cheque this week (Monday) I know cos I was at the cheque presentation.

I sincerely hope plenty of money is raised for your good cause its just that through your poor organisation the charity could be down on the ammount because it is a fact that many people will attend the pembo but would have attended this.. a phone call or email would of been nice :thumbsup:

TELL YOU WHAT KEV YOU CHANGE YOUR DATE AND I PROMISE THAT ANY PROFIT WE MAKE AT THE PEMBO IN DECEMBER WE WILL DONATE TO YOUR CHARITY ALL COSTS ETC. WILL BE AVAILABLE FOR YOU TOO SEE AND YOU CAN CHOOSE AN INDEPENDANT PERSON TO TAKE THE MONEY ON OUR DOOR

Edited by gogopro
Social source share

Certainly an idea worth serious consideration, accepting admin time / bit of cost / hassle of changing a date that's already booked and advertised / + pride etc. The charity should be the winner (two sets of "proceeds" from two events, rather than one), the punters who enjoy both events get to still go to both, and also an opportunity to build some bridges between established local promoters who, for whatever reason(s), don't get on notwithstanding mutual love of Northern Soul. After all, it will be the season of goodwill at that time. :thumbsup:

As for 2012 in this little corner of East Northants...I see that "Cream Cracker soul" dates are already booked up, which is great. "Pemberton soul" seemingly has unknown future (but guessing there'll be something else which will fit around Cracker dates). "Simply Soul", "Yum Yum" etc and other established Northants events will no doubt book more dates if there's enough demand, and if I do decide to help the venue owner arrange one or two more nights at "Snooks" in the future, I'll be checking VERY carefully as to what dates look best... to the point that if none look any good &/or demand isn't there, I won't bother. What's the point. Although that would be shame for the venue as I think it's great and could potentially accommodate EVERYONE who regularly attends Northants soul nights, say two or three times a year in terms of a decent sized dual room venue (ground floor / first floor) with great landlord & bar staff.

Either way, I will carry on going out enjoying myself at other people's events locally and nationally most weekends, as that's much better than the hassle of helping to put on a night, with all the stress grief that goes with it!

ATB Steve :thumbsup:

Social source share

Certainly an idea worth serious consideration, accepting admin time / bit of cost / hassle of changing a date that's already booked and advertised / + pride etc. The charity should be the winner (two sets of "proceeds" from two events, rather than one), the punters who enjoy both events get to still go to both, and also an opportunity to build some bridges between established local promoters who, for whatever reason(s), don't get on notwithstanding mutual love of Northern Soul. After all, it will be the season of goodwill at that time. :thumbsup:

As for 2012 in this little corner of East Northants...I see that "Cream Cracker soul" dates are already booked up, which is great. "Pemberton soul" seemingly has unknown future (but guessing there'll be something else which will fit around Cracker dates). "Simply Soul", "Yum Yum" etc and other established Northants events will no doubt book more dates if there's enough demand, and if I do decide to help the venue owner arrange one or two more nights at "Snooks" in the future, I'll be checking VERY carefully as to what dates look best... to the point that if none look any good &/or demand isn't there, I won't bother. What's the point. Although that would be shame for the venue as I think it's great and could potentially accommodate EVERYONE who regularly attends Northants soul nights, say two or three times a year in terms of a decent sized dual room venue (ground floor / first floor) with great landlord & bar staff.

Either way, I will carry on going out enjoying myself at other people's events locally and nationally most weekends, as that's much better than the hassle of helping to put on a night, with all the stress grief that goes with it!

ATB Steve :thumbsup:

Agree Steve, could be a good oppurtunity to put any issues to bed once and for all and benefit a charity...two positives.The offer is genuine and I will go further than that!

If Kev moves his event to say early January, He and Karen will be free on the December date theoretically and are welcome to come along to the Pembo, They can do the door if they wish and bring a collection bucket for the charity, we wll encourage people to give generousley, plus they can take home the profit and any other money raised on the night so the charity gets hopefully a good ammount in December as planned , Then they get another sum in January....Hows that!

Also for once Northants could be seen in a positive light and it may show promoters elswhere the way to go.It also addresses the subject matter of this thread ie too many do's on in a weekend....thats four positives now!

OVER TO YOU KEV! I have even thought of a title for your do if you move it "The late late Christmas Cream Cracker"

atb :thumbsup:

Social source share

Agree Steve, could be a good oppurtunity to put any issues to bed once and for all and benefit a charity...two positives.The offer is genuine and I will go further than that!

If Kev moves his event to say early January, He and Karen will be free on the December date theoretically and are welcome to come along to the Pembo, They can do the door if they wish and bring a collection bucket for the charity, we wll encourage people to give generousley, plus they can take home the profit and any other money raised on the night so the charity gets hopefully a good ammount in December as planned , Then they get another sum in January....Hows that!

Also for once Northants could be seen in a positive light and it may show promoters elswhere the way to go.It also addresses the subject matter of this thread ie too many do's on in a weekend....thats four positives now!

OVER TO YOU KEV! I have even thought of a title for your do if you move it "The late late Christmas Cream Cracker"

atb :thumbsup:

Edited by Winnie :-)
Social source share

Sorry Kev but no one has said that the clashing was the only reason for the likely ending of the Pembo , please read the posts carefully...more like the final straw in a list of other incidents and not forgetting your self proclaimed war with us and whatever we promote!. Let me ask you a question if the boot was on the other foot how loud would you squeal.. pretty damn loud I know.

I have read your excuses/reasons for having to take the 10th and quite frankly if dates were not available in December why not do it in January , remember you changed your venue. We checked your original dates When We booked 10th to aviod your event so the owness was on you.The fact is you knew the Pembo was on the 10th and you chose to clash with it ...didnt even have the decencey to contact us and explain ...read into that what you wish.

Ref. promising the money to the charity in Dec, dont wash mate, I am a committee member of a registered charity (swivelclub.com) no 1138750 check out the website we donate to major charities as well and can confirm the is no pressure to donate money immiedately. We raised £500 for crazy hats cancer appeal and £500 for Help for heros through our music festival on 27th August this year, help for heros got there money approx a month later and crazy hats had their cheque this week (Monday) I know cos I was at the cheque presentation.

I sincerely hope plenty of money is raised for your good cause its just that through your poor organisation the charity could be down on the ammount because it is a fact that many people will attend the pembo but would have attended this.. a phone call or email would of been nice :thumbsup:

TELL YOU WHAT KEV YOU CHANGE YOUR DATE AND I PROMISE THAT ANY PROFIT WE MAKE AT THE PEMBO IN DECEMBER WE WILL DONATE TO YOUR CHARITY ALL COSTS ETC. WILL BE AVAILABLE FOR YOU TOO SEE AND YOU CAN CHOOSE AN INDEPENDANT PERSON TO TAKE THE MONEY ON OUR DOOR

Social source share

fed up with promoters slagging others off on here doesnt look good for northants does it, also people reading this can get the wrong impression of others which isnt fair, those that live in glass houses shouldnt throw stones

Edited by tammy
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

fed up with promoters slagging others off on here doesnt look good for northants does it, also people reading this can get the wrong impression of others which isnt fair, those that live in glass houses shouldnt throw stones

Me too darling...more faces ...Town Clock???...comes to mind here.... :glare: ...xxx

• Helpful 1
Social source share

it seems to me after reading this thread everyone has forgotten about the music !

I got past my ego years ago

I could not give a shit about being a DJ

There are hardly any fans anymore.

Just carry on collecting vintage 45s and 33s if you mean it !

Fook your politics ! You won't stop me digging !

Jesus.............this was only about classy old records

Your politics kills me

dont come on here then and spend more time looking for records if it pains you that much :wave:

Social source share

Sorry but think this comment trivializes some of the good constructive posts made on here by promoters, after all this thread was aimed at promoters relating to ammount of events on in a weekend etc. So naturally they are gonna reply. As for Northants I can honestly say that for the last 5 years or so most promoters have got on well! managed not to clash and provide some different nights and an alldayer in the county.

I have commemted on one local promoter, who this year has clashed directly with one other local established night and is planning to clash with another in December dont know why He clashed with the first but the excuses He has given for the other really dont hold water in my opinion.Ok I accept there was a forced change of venue and advertised dates were not available , so if you cant get dates around the advertised ones then try other months if you have to change the date then whats difference. You can always get back in sync the next year.

Far from turning into a slanging match I think some positive solutions to the situation have been put forward by myself and others which have been endorsed by people, not just on the thread but also in private.I have purposely left it a few days to see if anything materialised but to date as yet, have recieved no reply or contact from this promoter concering the offer. What ever impression people get of this is up to them. I am only stating facts ...nothing else. One thing is for sure I will not rest untill I have done all I can to get satisfactory outcome for myself ,other promoters and the many people who have spoken or contacted me wondering why they have been put in a situation where its one night or the other on the 10th Dec. When they would have preffered to attend both.not just my words but the views of many I spoke to last night at a local night in Rushden

atb Jem :thumbsup:

Social source share

sold more on here than i have ever bought on here - but what point is that ? I buy more on e bay than i sell on e bay

I used to love this site because of refosoul, and have a chat about records

but all there is now is politics.

politics always been about on here just as the site as grown so too have the politics probably, there is another part of the scene other than buying and selling records there is the out and about scene and on Saturday might i attended a local event that had ok numbers through the door but there was also another event on the same night in the same town and in the south of England there aint that many soulies and in such tough times why woudl you want to clash with another event in the same town :( over the next few weeks there aint nothing going on in that town :huh: one does it for the music and plans over a year in advance the other does it purely for the money and call it what you want but that type of situation is why there are so called politics aired on soul source, you keep buying and selling thats your choice but many of us love to go out to hear enjoy and dance to said records cos thats what the scene is about, :hatsoff2:

Social source share

its your politcs ,

you lot are killing and spoiling your scene

I was just pointing it out

If I was in my 20s at the moment - this is the last place i would be

And before anyone says anything

You wont be seeing me again on here

(cue childish response)

I will carry on and collect 60s soul without your scene politics

i love it

always collecting and music for me!

But I think I can live with out this stuff on here !

This is the last days of a once great music scene !

And yes.................. It is sad to watch

but you aint 20 and 20 years olds aint getting into the scene in ther masses and its not just about getting into the scene its about getting the music and if you get the music the rest will come and the poitics as they are known included now and probably always have been in soem form or other,

talking and discussing what many see as a real problem in the scene is a bad thing then, the bad thing is thee sheer amount of events on every weekend imho and my post above is a fine example, stop knocking what we do its our choice we choose to discuss debate and argue and even if i agree or not i believe all this is not a bad and negative thing i think it shows that people on the scene DO care, just a shame a few dont hence too many events on,

Social source share

its your politcs ,

you lot are killing and spoiling your scene

I was just pointing it out

If I was in my 20s at the moment - this is the last place i would be

And before anyone says anything

You wont be seeing me again on here

(cue childish response)

I will carry on and collect 60s soul without your scene politics

i love it

always collecting and music for me!

But I think I can live with out this stuff on here !

This is the last days of a once great music scene !

And yes.................. It is sad to watch

You make some good points but then spoil it with 'you won't see me on here again'. If you have an opinion continue to voice it, doesn't matter if people agree or not, the politics on the scene have been there for ever, and are of little consequence, so accusing a few vocal people of 'killing/spoiling' the scene is inaccurate. Carry on carrying on :thumbsup:

Social source share

I refuse to be drawn into anything heavy this week :rofl: as its holiday countdown for me , but I will ask the question have the politics been around forever?

My guess is it seems to be far more political nowadays because there is a sort of Soul houses of parliment on here :D the debate is global and can be viewed by all and many memebrs can have their say.

I do wonder what the politics side of things meant 20 years ago?

Edited by Carms
Social source share

I refuse to be drawn into anything heavy this week :rofl: as its holiday countdown for me , but I will ask the question have the politics been around forever?

My guess is it seems to be far more political nowadays because there is a sort of Soul houses of parliment on here :D the debate is global and can be viewed by all and many memebrs can have their say.

I do wonder what the politics side of things meant 20 years ago?

It has always been there Carms only 20 years ago it was discussed round someone's house at a weekend while waiting for the allnighter or alldayer to start.

The internet has a lot to answer for :lol:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Politics years ago was in the pages of Blues & Soul and Black Echoes, just read some of them back issue, no different and there was always tons of nights years back but you just didn't get to hear about them if they where outside your area unless it was one of the big niters, plus back in the 70's lots of town centre disco's played northern, well they did in North Wales and I guess that was no different anywhere else and some of the tracks were supplied by rare soul collectors so amongst the snake, do I love you plays you also got some quality tunes as well. Come back Ian at least the politics was about Music lol.

Social source share

It has always been there Carms only 20 years ago it was discussed round someone's house at a weekend while waiting for the allnighter or alldayer to start.

The internet has a lot to answer for :lol:

Indeed Joan..

Allllllllllllllllllllllllll ways been there...

The internet is out of control beast with no break pads....

Politics gone global now with internet in seconds, in the past these comments had to be passed on via pigeon or stagecoach and made the odd article in fanzine letter pages.... Now its there at the press of a button....

beware of the beast..

peace and love x

Social source share

You make some good points but then spoil it with 'you won't see me on here again'. If you have an opinion continue to voice it, doesn't matter if people agree or not, the politics on the scene have been there for ever, and are of little consequence, so accusing a few vocal people of 'killing/spoiling' the scene is inaccurate. Carry on carrying on :thumbsup:

for info mossy account closed at members request

recent posts removed at members request, later posts will be removed when time allows

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!