Spacey Female Detroit Soul

boba

I'm looking for suggestions for records that have a specific 60s female detroit sound ... records that sound "airy" or "spacey". specifically records that sound like these:

monique - never let me go - maurci

debonairs - how's your new love treating you - golden world

debutantes - strong foundation - standout

gambrells - find a love - pioneer

embraceables - here i go - sidra

they don't specifically have to be from detroit (and I'm not sure if monique is from detroit or not, obviously the label is chicago), but i'm just looking for that specific sound. thanks in advance.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• Replies 83
  • Views 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

I'm looking for suggestions for records that have a specific 60s female detroit sound ... records that sound "airy" or "spacey". specifically records that sound like these:

they don't specifically have to be from detroit (and I'm not sure if monique is from detroit or not, obviously the label is chicago), but i'm just looking for that specific sound. thanks in advance.

Sandy Hollis - Tables will turn (Big Wheel)

Social source share

most of these suggestions are awesome, thanks so much. if I get enough I will do a mix and post it. I actually would include the other side of the three degrees, "no no not again"

re: debutantes, every blue label styrene copy I've had has played with distortion, still looking for a pink label vinyl copy. the psychedelic sound makes sense on that one given that they were a white girl rock group.

Social source share

most of these suggestions are awesome, thanks so much. if I get enough I will do a mix and post it. I actually would include the other side of the three degrees, "no no not again"

re: debutantes, every blue label styrene copy I've had has played with distortion, still looking for a pink label vinyl copy. the psychedelic sound makes sense on that one given that they were a white girl rock group.

The white DJ copies on styrene play fine. Reportedly a subsidiary of Golden World via the Myto Music credit too.

Social source share

Margaret Mandolph's "I Wanna Make You Happy Tonight" on Planetary has that eerie, echoey sound. I think it can be attributed to arrangers trying to copy the Wall Of Sound but with small combos and very few tape tracks: hence the use of lots of reverb on the rhythm sections, strings and vocals.

Social source share

OK here are the tracks I have so far, I thought of some more and used some of the suggestions. Everyone suggested awesome tracks, the ones I didn't use were either the wrong tempo or don't have exactly the production sound I'm looking for. If I get some more I will make a mix and post it. I don't own the september jones but can rip it from youtube and I couldn't find audio of the tobi lark on USD to hear it, I don't own that record either. Thanks again.

sea shells - quiet home

three degrees - no no not again

rose st john - fool don't laugh

september jones - i'm coming home

theresa lindsey - wonderful one

ultimates - just because you've gone and left me

romey rand - say you're mine

maybes that are close but i probably won't use:

tiares - let's be lovers

tobi lark - challenge my love (same backing as monique so i don't want to use it)

miki farrow - could it be

margaret mandolph - i wanna make you happy

juanita williams - baby boy (too fast)

deletts - what's the use

sandy hollis - tables will turn

barbara mercer - doin things together with you

barbara mercer - so real

Social source share

Margaret Mandolph was arranged by David Gates. Thus the "Wall of Sound" tracks.

I'd be surprised if Monique was from Detroit (despite the Detroit tracks used on her cuts). ALL the other Maurci artists were from Chicago, as were Simtec Simmons and Gene Chandler. Only McKinley Jackson(among their staff) was from Detroit, and I would guess that he brought the Detroit tracks with him (despite their having belonged to Dave Hamilton).

Social source share

Gloria Walker 'Deep inside of you' in columbia 45 is a detroit recording and I think fits your bill, but i'm not sure when it was recorded? they added a more disco-ey beat to the 'deep inside you' 12" e.p. but the 45 is the pre-disco version. Just put it on and thought of this thread. Immense 45.

cheers Sutty

Edited by Sutty
Social source share

Gloria Walker 'Deep inside of you' in columbia 45 is a detroit recording and I think fits your bill, but i'm not sure when it was recorded? they added a more disco-ey beat to the 'deep inside you' 12" e.p. but the 45 is the pre-disco version. Just put it on and thought of this thread. Immense 45.

cheers Sutty

someone else also suggested gloria walker to me, many of her tracks are definitely spacey detroit soul. I think I'm trying to stick to the mid-60s sound in this though. Love that gloria walker ep though.

Social source share

someone else also suggested gloria walker to me, many of her tracks are definitely spacey detroit soul. I think I'm trying to stick to the mid-60s sound in this though. Love that gloria walker ep though.

Thought it might be a little too late although it has the sound - when was it recorded do you know? I know the 12" e.p. that came afterwards was 70's, but they were old recordings with additional instrumentation added on, so the 7" is different and i'd suspect maybe 69/70???

cheers Sutty

Social source share

cheers Sutty

Gloria Taylor!

Social source share

Gloria Taylor!

I'm an idiot.

Either way, great records, but the sound I'm looking for is 60s and the taylor records are definitely 70s sounding. I have about 15 records now, will work on a mix in the next few days. hopefully someone can add something else before then though. thanks everyone.

Social source share

Bob, I hope you realise the trouble this is gonna cause with yet another genre to add to the Northern Soul Family........Spacey Detroit night coming your way soon!!

yes, everyone will only be playing the same 15 records on repeat.

cookie scott is a pretty good one. carol jones is too heavy for the mix but i'm using the sophisticates on mutt

Social source share

Dena Barnes - Who Am I (Inferno) ultimate spacey or not? :g:

that is a good one. i never heard it before, listening now on youtube. if the background vocals were present for more than a few seconds it would be "spacier" as they add to the sound a lot.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!