Is Playing A Boot At A Venue Ever Acceptable

Sorry if this has been a topic before but,

Is a boot / pressing ever acceptable for a DJ to play out ?

What if DJ has the original but in poor condition and would cost thousands to replace

What if the DJ has the original copy but daren't play it in case some knobhead knocks the deck and scratches his prize possession

Westy

Social source share

Guest kev such

NO.

If you have the tune at home and dont want it scratched etc.... Play something else or dont DJ.

Edited by kev such
Social source share

What if DJ has the original but in poor condition and would cost thousands to replace

What if the DJ has the original copy but daren't play it in case some knobhead knocks the deck and scratches his prize possession

Westy

Now you've gone and done it get ready for the fall out !!! :boxing::facepalm:

atom.jpg

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Guest kev such

Had someone stamp on the stage once when a prized tune was playing ( you know who you are Mr P), risk you take Im afraid. .

Edited by kev such
Social source share

Asked a similar question way back (tongue in cheek) best answer was ..yes as long as you have the original on the other deck with the arm raised and spinning at the same time. :wink:

Other than that it don't sit right with me, I personally would not play a boot and would encourage others not to do so either....

Social source share

Asked a similar question way back (tongue in cheek) best answer was ..yes as long as you have the original on the other deck with the arm raised and spinning at the same time. :wink:

Other than that it don't sit right with me, I personally would not play a boot and would encourage others not to do so either....

i wouldn't be the least bit surprised if that had been a serious response :g:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Westy

:hatsoff2: HI ALL ONLY IF YOU WANT TO BUST THE PICK UP ARM?? NO DJ SHOULD PLAY A BOOTLEG EVER, SO THE ANSWER IS A 100% NO, IF YOU DISAGREE MOVE OVER AND LET SOMEONE ELSE THE SPOT, WHO PLAYS RARE SOUL ORIGANALS :boxing: DAVE

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Byrney

Westy

Yeah... sure, play whatever, boots, second issues, CDs. We're kinda chilled about things like that on here :wicked: :wicked:

Social source share

think this has been done to death but agree with kev, nothing worse than someone on before you playing a boot of a tune youve searched for years to get one and probably paid a price for it ranting_1.gif

Totally agree 100% but if the dj owns the original and plays a boot of it and the next dj knows then whats the problem.Surely the next dj wouldnt play it no matter if original or not,unless he's the kind of dj that turns up 10 minutes before his spot starts.The dj isnt tricking anyone as he has the original.

Didnt that happen with Frank Wilson or am I mistaken.

Social source share

Totally agree 100% but if the dj owns the original and plays a boot of it and the next dj knows then whats the problem.Surely the next dj wouldnt play it no matter if original or not,unless he's the kind of dj that turns up 10 minutes before his spot starts.The dj isnt tricking anyone as he has the original.

Didnt that happen with Frank Wilson or am I mistaken.

dave im talkin about a dj who plays out and out boots and knows ive got the originals that i would have played but then have to stay in the box

Social source share

So why would a promoter book a DJ who plays boots

:hatsoff2: HI That's a great question, that I don't know the answer to, I have done a little bit of DJing, but nothing this side of 2000, why! as I have a decent collection, I admit that I am a blockhead but thats no reason, i put it down to this, if the venue has not got a record dealer selling rare soul, you can guarantee that the music is not on original records, that is not to say you are in for a bad night, far from it, the issue though is if you are at an all nighters, this is time to egg and flour the DJ time :thumbup: DAVE

Social source share

NO.

If you have the tune at home and dont want it scratched etc.... Play something else or dont DJ.

Funny thing is though Kev if you had abided by that opinion a few years ago you probably wouldnt be a dj/promotor now...cos in the first few years of the "cracker" you played and owned mainly "boots" now you are "V.C.Correct" maybe you should start a self help group for people who play or feel they might want to dj with boots, so they can become vinyl cool as well...atb :thumbsup:

Social source share

Westy

this was done (again) a little while ago and the answer I was finally given was 'yes' & 'no' ... and was summed up with "Its simple really: Its Black or White; with lots of Grey Areas"

hope that helps you as much as it helped me

regards,

mike

Social source share

Guest kev such

Funny thing is though Kev if you had abided by that opinion a few years ago you probably wouldnt be a dj/promotor now...cos in the first few years of the "cracker" you played and owned mainly "boots" now you are "V.C.Correct" maybe you should start a self help group for people who play or feel they might want to dj with boots, so they can become vinyl cool as well...atb :thumbsup:

Agreed Jem. Certainly did used to play off boots, and have and do freely admit the fact. As Im sure a very high percentage of people have. That was then though and I was guided in the correct direction. I was asnswering the initial post as I was told when I asked the same question of people not long after starting the Cream Cracker.

Kev

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

We used to run a small local gig at the leisure center in Ashby.Basicly it was one friday a month we'd have a few brews nip out for a bit of puff ect and we had real open decks where everyone played five or six records each most of the folk there were mate's from school so most played boots ect (now refered to as file copies !!) and we had a good relaxing night .However it wasn't really a northern/rare soul night I'd never contemplate playing a "file copie" at a gig and even if I lost my collection and have to start again I believe that anyone can fill the floor with an hour of under thirty quid originals .Although there is a place for reissues and a lot of people buy them so at the right venue as was the leisure centre at Ashby i genuinly can't see a problem best regards Simon.

Edited by sharmo 1
Social source share

i dont but.....

what if a dj has one of only two known copies and his is styrene and not in the best nick surely its fine for him to play a carver to keep his in good nick? and he's not on the same nigt as the other original owner ...at least we get to hear the tune for years rather than for a few months(if he's a busy dj) till its f***** or not at all if he doesnt wanna risk it ?

dean

Social source share

So there you go if its un-issued go fill your boots it's official !!,well i say only if you have a legal format of the song in your collection.

Social source share

Unissued material has been played off an emi disc carver or whatever you want to call it for decades, even by those at the top of the dj tree. If you have permission and the only original source is tape what is wrong with that? We would never have heard some fantastic recordings if followed what some say.

Social source share

Unissued material has been played off an emi disc carver or whatever you want to call it for decades, even by those at the top of the dj tree. If you have permission and the only original source is tape what is wrong with that? We would never have heard some fantastic recordings if followed what some say.

You did not say that you said if un-issued carve it, if you have the tapes,original cds /LP's maybe it's ok bet there are some stupid rules about who can give permission can we clarify some of these please it's a minefield,i'll only play proper emi's(must get them carved to keep them in good order) myself and got one carver with permission and the promo cd that goes with it.

Edited by ken
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

the most amount of people say they don,t play boots.........but they DO........theres not a local venue (to me that is ) that dosn,t whatever they may say......it,s a fact of life at soul nights and perfectly ok the important factor at these events is that they are there behind those decks by hook or by crook what format they use is (to them ) irrelevant at the venue, only important they say the right thing on this site ........places l go have dj,s with proper records and mainly stuff that wouldn,t even be on the bootleg radar.......there have however been a few rumours at the odd nighter that all is not right

Edited by gordon russell
Social source share

Guest lifeandsoul

boots should not be played clearly but playings devils advocate for a minute because its a different angle -

for something (the soul scene) who want to preserve and promote major historical references (vinyl records) why is it allowed for precious originals to be used, to the point of deterioration and (ultimately) destroyed by carrying them around, showing them around, playing them, playing them on systems that you know nothing about (surely every dj carries their own headshells - i think not and why not?) and getting generally battered!

For the sake of just enjoying the tune there are other methods these days (perish the thought!)

Social source share

Guest ruffsounds

One of the problems is that some major dj's/dealers sell the boots so obviously some are going to get played somewhere, sometimes even Uk only issues get frowned upon, so there is always gonna be some form of issue over whats being played out.

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

i think more boots should get played and to be honest im defo thinking that CDs should be getting a chance to be heard and accepted, come on guys and girls its 2011 not 1971 anymore :yes:

Social source share

Guest Marky Tee

i think more boots should get played and to be honest im defo thinking that CDs should be getting a chance to be heard and accepted, come on guys and girls its 2011 not 1971 anymore :yes:

Gulps....... passes you a tin hat and kevlar body armour

Social source share

:ohmy: is your tongue in your cheek Bearsy? :unsure:

Social source share

kill um all , set there boots on fire and dance around them , i also think they shouldnt be sold on these forums but if so' they should have there own separate sales thread ,

Just reminded me of the Mercy video :lol:

when i get me head out of me arse i will double check Rach :lol:

:g::lol:

Social source share

ive already mentioned on here about the soultown boot of the sweets - satify me baby, which includes the totally unissued instrumental backing track on the b-side. whilst it would be nice to have a genuine with the official b-side - something about my baby, for say,£900 i think there's no problem with playing the instrumental of the a-side because its actually UNISSUED, and to this day still is. and there's nothing wrong with vinyl carvers so long as we are talking about completely unissued tracks ( on vinyl that is )....what about cutting tracks from lps because you dont want to cart lps about when you are djing?, especially if those tracks never made it to a single but were considered good enough to be played on the scene?

Social source share

its like the beige copy of porgy and the monarchs my heart cries for you , you cant play this side as its not the original at soul nights but the flipside is an unreleased track, its a dream ive always had , that was covered up as the peppermint men by butch i think , so oneside of the record is ok to be played but dont flip it over or you will get shot or whatever happens to people who play boots

strange world of northern soul

Social source share

ive already mentioned on here about the soultown boot of the sweets - satify me baby, which includes the totally unissued instrumental backing track on the b-side. whilst it would be nice to have a genuine with the official b-side - something about my baby, for say,£900 i think there's no problem with playing the instrumental of the a-side because its actually UNISSUED, and to this day still is. and there's nothing wrong with vinyl carvers so long as we are talking about completely unissued tracks ( on vinyl that is )....what about cutting tracks from lps because you dont want to cart lps about when you are djing?, especially if those tracks never made it to a single but were considered good enough to be played on the scene?

But the Sweets is still a bootleg, no one gained financially except the bootlegger.

I can't see the point doing a cut from an LP, just take the LP with you. Why spend £20 on a cut when you can spend that elsewhere.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!