Is Playing A Boot At A Venue Ever Acceptable

surly would this all not lead to bitter old corpses in graves clutching to records and the tunes dying with them? how do you expect a young fan of the genre to get into something like djing when the older generation wont give them a chance. You cant out price someone from wanting to share great tunes! the fact that these bootlegs are pressed tries to keep things tangible, you should be grateful they exist and give young people an affordable platform into the genre do you want kids to use mp3s and out price current djs altogether.

If young kids coming onto the scene are told that its ok to DJ with bootlegs then the future of the scene isnt gonna be too bright really.

It would be like playing Vinnie Jones in Barcelona's midfield and Guardiola telling him to get out there and kick the sh*t out of everyone.

In other words devaluing a thing of beauty and substance.

There nothing to stop young uns coming in and enjoying themselves, but if they want to get in the first team they'll have to be able to pass like Iniesta & Xavi

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Soul Shakedown

If young kids coming onto the scene are told that its ok to DJ with bootlegs then the future of the scene isnt gonna be too bright really.

It would be like playing Vinnie Jones in Barcelona's midfield and Guardiola telling him to get out there and kick the sh*t out of everyone.

In other words devaluing a thing of beauty and substance.

There nothing to stop young uns coming in and enjoying themselves, but if they want to get in the first team they'll have to be able to pass like Iniesta & Xavi

haha if you adopt that principle the music will be worthless. If coming generations dont show an interest due to being unable to to obtain these records whos gonna dance to the records when the classes of the 60's 70's have died and further who will want them? I aint gonna quote football but i think most know this one "cut your own nose off to spite your face". Why did the records become so expensive in the first place? someones made their thousands out of a 45"s that didnt even cost one pound to press. So how can it be wrong if a label records off the original acetate's and keep the ball going and the good ship soul afloat.

Social source share

haha if you adopt that principle the music will be worthless. If coming generations dont show an interest due to being unable to to obtain these records whos gonna dance to the records when the classes of the 60's 70's have died and further who will want them? I aint gonna quote football but i think most know this one "cut your own nose off to spite your face". Why did the records become so expensive in the first place? someones made their thousands out of a 45"s that didnt even cost one pound to press. So how can it be wrong if a label records off the original acetate's and keep the ball going and the good ship soul afloat.

Coming generations can obtain and listen to this music easily on CD, bootleg vinyl, legitimate reissue vinyl such as Kent, mp3 etc etc and listen to their hearts content at home or wherever.

What they CANT or shouldn't be able to do is DJ at a serious soul event with them.

You seem to perceive that all these youngsters who "might" come on to the scene are going to be DJ's ? How's that gonna work?

There are actually quite a lot of good young DJ's around the country playing good original records anyway.

To answer the second part of your post, the scene is a rare soul scene, an underground scene where music is played that any Tom, Dick or Harry at your local disco hasn't got access to or even knows exists.

That is the ethos that the whole thing was based on from day 1, and that's why some of the records are expensive - because they're rare!! Note I said some, because there are 100's of cheap original records out there that any aspiring young DJ could cut his teeth on.

Social source share

if they want to dj then they can start the same way everyone else has and thats with what you can afford at the time, why woulda youngster want to play what everyone else has been playing for the last 30/40 years, buy as you can afford learn about the tunes go out and enjoy the djs and watch listen and learn and as they have youth on their side it wont be long before all the expensive records will become cheap enough cos there wont be anyone else to buy them lol, i certainly wouldnt want to be like my grandad i would want to be different and have my own style and not be just another jukebox dj cos buy buyinh and playing boots you will only be playing the tunes that have been hammered since the year dot, there aint no rush and the youngsters will get their chance if they are good cos age is no barrier imho its what any dj has to offer and if they have something to offer they will get dj spots if thats what they really want, so why not embrace what the scene is and has always been about and that is RARE SOUL. so many events and 10 times more djs than there is events so hang in there and be yourself and time will tell :hatsoff2:

why is there such a rush to be a dj when so young it can at times be a thankless task and could a youngster even playing boots handle being critised for trying to do the right thing by getting people to dance, go out enjoy dance buy records and dont waste money on boots there are so many great tunes the same price as the average boot that could fill a dance floor anywhere :thumbsup:

Social source share

In a way this is a pretty sensible arguement, at a top ´niter/soul night i would expect originals to be played , but a youngster at a local do playing bootlegs/re-releases in a way i could understand,

to be fair i would think most of us started the same way? i know i did until the dreaded bug took over.

Also is there one rule for some or is it a snob thing if so in the past i was guilty of playing Tony Hestor-Down in the dumps( off tony Warots RCA /Grapevine advance thing) How else could i play it? also , Doni Burdick -Candle ,What you gonna do..got these done off a tape and Johnny on the spot(which incidently had not been played out before that night at Blackburn) Was i such a naughty boy?

or did this make me a shittier d´j than i was :wave:

What i do disagree with and it happened on a regular basis at Yate(no names mentioned Brian S ) is a dj playing an acetate/emidisc/carver or whatever of a record that he knows another guy who is on later will be playing the original! thats just bad manners.

What i find surprising is that all you lot who go out and about in England just keep on moaning about f---ki++.everything :yes: why don´t you just try and have fun ? after all at the end of the day its whats in the grooves that count :lol::wicked:

Steve(not really trying to wind anybody up :wave: )

oh stop moaning Steve :lol::wicked:

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Yet again someone making the mistake of thinking if it's original it has to be expensive.

There's nothing to stop anyone buying originals that are quality and cheaper than some boots. They may not get the big nighter places without the big ticket items if they want to DJ but at least they'll have a paybox they can be proud of and reflects their taste rather than that of every other boot playing muppet in the country.

I'd book a young DJ in a second who had spent time (not necessarily money) putting together an innovative playbox, but not one with a box of oldies on bootlegs.

Social source share

In a way this is a pretty sensible arguement, at a top ´niter/soul night i would expect originals to be played , but a youngster at a local do playing bootlegs/re-releases in a way i could understand, to be fair i would think most of us started the same way? i know i did until the dreaded bug took over. Also is there one rule for some or is it a snob thing if so in the past i was guilty of playing Tony Hestor-Down in the dumps( off tony Warots RCA /Grapevine advance thing) How else could i play it? also , Doni Burdick -Candle ,What you gonna do..got these done off a tape and Johnny on the spot(which incidently had not been played out before that night at Blackburn) Was i such a naughty boy? or did this make me a shittier d´j than i was :wave: What i do disagree with and it happened on a regular basis at Yate(no names mentioned Brian S ) is a dj playing an acetate/emidisc/carver or whatever of a record that he knows another guy who is on later will be playing the original! thats just bad manners. What i find surprising is that all you lot who go out and about in England just keep on moaning about f---ki++.everything :yes:why don´t you just try and have fun ? after all at the end of the day its whats in the grooves that count :lol::wicked: Steve(not really trying to wind anybody up :wave: )

Dont worry mate, me and the lads I knock around with have plenty of fun and very rarely fail to enjoy ourselves :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Soul Shakedown

Coming generations can obtain and listen to this music easily on CD, bootleg vinyl, legitimate reissue vinyl such as Kent, mp3 etc etc and listen to their hearts content at home or wherever.

What they CANT or shouldn't be able to do is DJ at a serious soul event with them.

You seem to perceive that all these youngsters who "might" come on to the scene are going to be DJ's ? How's that gonna work?

There are actually quite a lot of good young DJ's around the country playing good original records anyway.

To answer the second part of your post, the scene is a rare soul scene, an underground scene where music is played that any Tom, Dick or Harry at your local disco hasn't got access to or even knows exists.

That is the ethos that the whole thing was based on from day 1, and that's why some of the records are expensive - because they're rare!! Note I said some, because there are 100's of cheap original records out there that any aspiring young DJ could cut his teeth on.

So your argument is they cannot play a major event with bootlegs, which can be understandable if you pay out for the rare soul you would be cheated otherwise. Steve a lot of young people on the scene have a go (they have youth on there side with nothing to loose) when you have online stores such as jazzman, sounds of the universe, juno who selling 45's with more than 60% to young djs there is a lot about. I don't think they are gonna take over the all dayers of Blackpool yet, they have there own venues in bars, pubs and clubs forging their own crowd on a weekly basis. I got the idea that surly if a record is pressed as a bootleg its because people want to hear and enjoy a record to dance too, the dj didnt not write or compose the record so why is the bootleg such an issue, Id rather hear a dj play some good records one who's took the time to spend £10 + on a bootie reissue (or any record for that matter) than 50p off itunes and in my mind thats a start they are not top of their game but they want and try to make things as they see it should be naive comes with enthusiasm. Digging for records is not what it was and a lot of dealers have their disk jockeys who they look after. i hope young people do embrace original with new and take out of it what they will they and forge their own scene.

Social source share

Guest Soul Shakedown

Yet again someone making the mistake of thinking if it's original it has to be expensive. There's nothing to stop anyone buying originals that are quality and cheaper than some boots. They may not get the big nighter places without the big ticket items if they want to DJ but at least they'll have a paybox they can be proud of and reflects their taste rather than that of every other boot playing muppet in the country. I'd book a young DJ in a second who had spent time (not necessarily money) putting together an innovative playbox, but not one with a box of oldies on bootlegs.

i used expensive as an example as those releases bootie releases are of expensive originals most of the time. I dont have an issue with heaing a bootie being played out as i think it aint easy for younger people to come across material.I like the fact you would book a younger dj in a second as if they have a box to impress, a young person with enthusiasm can take on what they have seen and be very creative.

Social source share

So your argument is they cannot play a major event with bootlegs, which can be understandable if you pay out for the rare soul you would be cheated otherwise. Steve a lot of young people on the scene have a go (they have youth on there side with nothing to loose) when you have online stores such as jazzman, sounds of the universe, juno who selling 45's with more than 60% to young djs there is a lot about. I don't think they are gonna take over the all dayers of Blackpool yet, they have there own venues in bars, pubs and clubs forging their own crowd on a weekly basis. I got the idea that surly if a record is pressed as a bootleg its because people want to hear and enjoy a record to dance too, the dj didnt not write or compose the record so why is the bootleg such an issue, Id rather hear a dj play some good records one who's took the time to spend £10 + on a bootie reissue (or any record for that matter) than 50p off itunes and in my mind thats a start they are not top of their game but they want and try to make things as they see it should be naive comes with enthusiasm. Digging for records is not what it was and a lot of dealers have their disk jockeys who they look after. i hope young people do embrace original with new and take out of it what they will they and forge their own scene.

I dont think we're talking about the same thing here. The all dayers of Blackpool? what's that? weekly

venues in bars, pubs and clubs? You got any examples so I know what you're talking about?

I'm talking about the rare soul scene, all nighters and everything that goes with it.

Social source share

Dave,

If you read post 479 you will see that I made a comment about integrity with regard to Butch`s actions and by making that observation,I fully agree with and applaud his decision.I was with Butch at the time-not just a bystander involved in hearsay.

I have no feelings of shame or embarrassment and my username is an attempt at humour.

The symbol is my exasperation on reading the "extra" information that is rendered in your post referring to the legalities of the use of a hammer and the eternal/inevitable drug references.

Sorry if I offended you.

All the best.

:hatsoff2: I Fully understand, and there is no need to be sorry, as I should of took time to reflect back, On a personal I got to met BUTCH through Mick Smith, not as a punter, but one mate introducing me to a Friend that I did not know, the fact that Butch was also a mate of Tim Ashabendy (who I have always looked up to) as such, I will always stick up for them, especially in incidents like this,

Over the years that BUTCH has been a DJ, I cant think of any other ex WIGAN DJ, that has given so much to the RARE SOUL SCENE and as a individual has the gift of empathy tto-wardsothers, he is indeed a rreallydecent bloke, It does ssaddenme that others are not inspired by his contribution to the scene, thats not to say I have lLittlerespect for other Wigan DJs but most have some form of iirritationsince the closure of Wigan, and act as if they where above us, Ian Levine is a good example of this?

To conclude I just wish for at least 18 months that every one made an effort to try and get back to some of the ununwrittenules of DOE'S & DODON T'Shat made our scene, esespeciallyn a fraternal way, that for me is erveryuch declined in fafavorf small click's who omcompetegainst each other, and establish at least 3 must attend all nighters, not all these liLittleoe's just for the locals, apart from the 100 CLUB where are the other top all nighters in the UK :thumbup: DAVE

Social source share

Guest Soul Shakedown

I dont think we're talking about the same thing here. The all dayers of Blackpool? what's that? weekly

venues in bars, pubs and clubs? You got any examples so I know what you're talking about?

I'm talking about the rare soul scene, all nighters and everything that goes with it.

i used the blackpool alldayer (nov) as an example. when i referenced bars and clubs there is now a surge of younger crowds playing out soul, you got nights appearing across birmingham nottingham manchester wolverhampton at different pubs, bars and clubs. The reason im in this thread is im not focusing on the rare soul scene but for my views on bootleg records.

Social source share

As an aside.......whilst washing the wifes car last week (naivety or onset of sight issues denying the obvious, and no I don't wash hers very often :wicked: )......I unearthed a "gem"......And whilst I fully advocate the authenticate turntable output, I was overcome by a wry smile, when realising her( not so recent) purchased vehicles numberplate begins......OVO :yes:

So "bootleg freaks"......keep watching your rear view mirror.....Because you don't know who's looking over your shoulder :wave::D

Social source share

In a way this is a pretty sensible arguement, at a top ´niter/soul night i would expect originals to be played , but a youngster at a local do playing bootlegs/re-releases in a way i could understand,

to be fair i would think most of us started the same way? i know i did until the dreaded bug took over.

Also is there one rule for some or is it a snob thing if so in the past i was guilty of playing Tony Hestor-Down in the dumps( off tony Warots RCA /Grapevine advance thing) How else could i play it? also , Doni Burdick -Candle ,What you gonna do..got these done off a tape and Johnny on the spot(which incidently had not been played out before that night at Blackburn) Was i such a naughty boy?

or did this make me a shittier d´j than i was :wave:

What i do disagree with and it happened on a regular basis at Yate(no names mentioned Brian S ) is a dj playing an acetate/emidisc/carver or whatever of a record that he knows another guy who is on later will be playing the original! thats just bad manners.

What i find surprising is that all you lot who go out and about in England just keep on moaning about f---ki++.everything :yes: why don´t you just try and have fun ? after all at the end of the day its whats in the grooves that count :lol::wicked:

Steve(not really trying to wind anybody up :wave: )

i think you are :wicked:

Social source share

• 9 years later...

Some people will only dance to original demo copys. Theres a certain amount of snobbery on the scene and as Berry Gordy said its whats in the groove that counts and in my opinion they all sound the same. If I was still playing records I bought at Wigan Casino they would be in a sad state now. For me its all about how a DJ puts a set together and if the musics good I couldnt give a hoot if it was a boot KTF

Social source share

12 hours ago, Laurie said:

Some people will only dance to original demo copys. Theres a certain amount of snobbery on the scene and as Berry Gordy said its whats in the groove that counts and in my opinion they all sound the same. If I was still playing records I bought at Wigan Casino they would be in a sad state now. For me its all about how a DJ puts a set together and if the musics good I couldnt give a hoot if it was a boot KTF

A DJ who has a box of originals has probably more experience than someone with a box of recent reissue lookalikes. So I would think he would have a better idea of what to play and when to play it.

If you have taken the time and given the commitment to buy the originals, it stands to reason you must be more commited, therefore more experienced to DJ to a knowledgeable crowd.

Edited by D9 Ktf
Social source share

As a predominately nighter goer . Its a unwritten law that it's original only. And that goes back to when I first started this incredible journey in 75.

Soul nights I normally attend are  shall we say the more discerning type of venue that doesn't play the  played out oldies  type stuff anyway ( obvious what's played out to some are not to others and  geographical boundaries  still come into play regarding this comment. )  i much prefer a across the board music  type policy right up to new releases so I tend not to hear bootlegs anyway but I wouldn't be to  bothered.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Many moons ago, I was talking to one of the top DJ's around, I mentioned a 45 I had on original vinyl which he had been playing, and he wanted to buy it. When I questioned why, it turns out he'd been playing a carver recorded from another DJ's radio show 😲 I sold him the 45 and he offered to give me the carver....I politely declined.

So the lesson is don't always believe what you see and hear.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

1 minute ago, Billy Jo Jim Bob said:

Many moons ago, I was talking to one of the top DJ's around, I mentioned a 45 I had on original vinyl which he had been playing, and he wanted to buy it. When I questioned why, it turns out he'd been playing a carver recorded from another DJ's radio show 😲 I sold him the 45 and he offered to give me the carver....I politely declined.

So the lesson is don't always believe what you see and hear.

I think when you are a top/prominent dj,no one is gonna question what your playing! And even if they got a glimpse of a carver etc, you will put it down as a one off test press or something like that and not a carver! Having said that,if a dj has reached the top ranks,then i cant imagine they would need or want to play a cheap imitation!

• Up vote 1
Social source share

7 minutes ago, Dobber said:

I think when you are a top/prominent dj,no one is gonna question what your playing! And even if they got a glimpse of a carver etc, you will put it down as a one off test press or something like that and not a carver! Having said that,if a dj has reached the top ranks,then i cant imagine they would need or want to play a cheap imitation!

The carver was a mock up resplendent with a fake 'looky likey' label....naughty naughty 😲

Social source share

And in answer to the original question…no its not acceptable! Once you go down that road you may aswell stick a cd on! Of play youtube through the speakers! 😂

2 minutes ago, Billy Jo Jim Bob said:

The carver was a mock up resplendent with a fake 'looky likey' label....naughty naughty 😲

In that case someone should have fed it to him! Shameful😂

• Up vote 3
Social source share

34 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

As a predominately nighter goer . Its a unwritten law that it's original only. And that goes back to when I first started this incredible journey in 75.

Soul nights I normally attend are  shall we say the more discerning type of venue that doesn't play the  played out oldies  type stuff anyway ( obvious what's played out to some are not to others and  geographical boundaries  still come into play regarding this comment. )  i much prefer a across the board music  type policy right up to new releases so I tend not to hear bootlegs anyway but I wouldn't be to  bothered.

Hi Steve , I have learned the hard way it’s better to keep quiet regarding this subject over many years but what I will say is this their seems to be youngsters mentioned a lot , well my disappointment isn’t with them it’s with very well known established names best I leave it at that 🙈

• Up vote 3
Social source share

1 minute ago, Paul Shirley said:

Hi Steve , I have learned the hard way it’s better to keep quiet regarding this subject over many years but what I will say is this their seems to be youngsters mentioned a lot , well my disappointment isn’t with them it’s with very well known established names best I leave it at that 🙈

Hi Paul. Hope your well mate 🙏.  Know where your coming from. 👍

Social source share

48 minutes ago, Billy Jo Jim Bob said:

So the lesson is don't always believe what you see and 

Social source share

On 07/10/2011 at 13:43, Pete S said:

Thats a really good point actually, anything bootlegged has, in 99% of cases, been a top sound, done the rounds, and should then be retired or bought out at oldies only do's.

When i was getting some DJ gigs back in the day i received a copy of "Esperanto" by the Grand Piano company from "Tony Just" Manchester underground market.

He had received this from "Les Mccutcheon" via "Simon Soussan" towards the end of 79/80 it became common practice to send 6 or so advance copies of his latest bootleg via "Airmail" to "selected" DJs to hype the record while the rest came by Sea.

It was a pretty big tune and so i took it covered it up as the original cover up name (which escapes me) and got about 3 weeks playing it as did the other DJs (including "Russ Winstanley") who were bigger names than me. 

The bootleg hits the shops including "Tony's" (who was in the top 3 retailer of Bootlegs at his peak) and sells ,simple !

I'm afraid it was the poor music being played ( i should know i discovered "Sue Lynne") and peeking behind the curtain of incidents like this that made me drop out of the scene less than a year after this.

Social source share

52 minutes ago, Paul Shirley said:
1 hour ago, Billy Jo Jim Bob said:

So the lesson is don't always believe what you see and 

Expand  

Forgive the messing around with posts I’m not familiar with all this but very similar storey to the one above ,  it’s becoming common knowledge on the rarer side sadly it’s rife 

Edited by Paul Shirley
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

51 minutes ago, Siz Sale said:

I'm afraid it was the poor music being played ( i should know i discovered "Sue Lynne") and peeking behind the curtain of incidents like this that made me drop out of the scene less than a year after this.

I thought Esperanto was played at Wigan in 77 about the same time as Sue Lynne If memory serves me right. 

I actually bought my first copy of  Sue Lynne at Wigan , it had the BBC record library stamp on the Orange RCA label and was complete with the BBC clear half circular  polythene storage bag .it was a monster record at the time and still a tough one now having only got a republic of Ireland 🇮🇪 release as far as I'm aware 

Social source share

On 19/07/2021 at 14:57, Winsford Soul said:

I thought Esperanto was played at Wigan in 77 about the same time as Sue Lynne If memory serves me right. 

I actually bought my first copy of  Sue Lynne at Wigan , it had the BBC record library stamp on the Orange RCA label and was complete with the BBC clear half circular  polythene storage bag .it was a monster record at the time and still a tough one now having only got a republic of Ireland 🇮🇪 release as far as I'm aware 

Wasn't Grand Piano Company covered up as "Derek and Ray" - Esperanto.

Edited by Bo Diddley
Social source share

It’s not snobbery to want to play an original 45 or LP it’s written in stone and  has been the expected more / norm of the scene since time in memorium . 
On the Top DJ side I would ask who are the ones playing carvers  before anyone throws stones . I will be honest it’s not like so called big DJs have their name in lights anymore , most things these days are under scrutiny. 
I post up a thread of what I play and  show the disc when I DJ seems to work better particularly on Facebook etc , then people can discuss etc . 
In  relation to OVO it’s the longest most controversial topic on the scene because a lot of punters do not care , there want a good night with friends on the drink etc , it’s just means choose your venues careful you can count the ones on two hands that play original vinyl . 

• Up vote 2
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

8 hours ago, Petesi said:

Ah at last  The truth! or pretty close to it imo.   Anyone who has the dosh could go out and pay 100/200k plus for a box load of top class origional`s but... unless he had a clue about dancing and reading the floor he/she would not have a cat in hells chance of becoming a top level DJ,. I cant believe the number of times I have have been at a do when so and so (who is regarded as having a great collection) comes on and shows of his collection by playing some great sounds BUT in totally the wrong order mixing tempo`s and genre in a dancers nightmare....The records mean nothing if you can`t construct a set.

What a load of tosh. Richard Searling, doesn’t dance, Butch, Andy Dyson and I can think of many others who you never or rarely see on the floor. You don’t need to be a dancer to put a set together.  I do agree that there  are many cheque book djs who cannot put a set together, dancers or not. 

Edited by Chalky
  • Up vote 3
Social source share

20 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

But many top Djs played carvers/emi discs throughout the 70s and 80s.  It was the only way you heard many sounds.   These days though there is no reason or excuse as the market opened up most of the top records turned up and there are p,enty of Djs who can do a set with the biggest records. No reason for anyone at any venue to be playing carvers or boots. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

29 minutes ago, Chalky said:

What a load of tosh. Richard Searling, doesn’t dance, Butch, Andy Dyson and I can think of many others who you never or rarely see on the floor. You don’t need to be a dancer to put a set together.  I do agree that there  are many cheque book djs who cannot put a set together, dancers or not. 

Exceptions there will always be, and age will play a big part in that.  I cant speak for Butch as not really a rare soul fan BUT Andy Dyson has more idea about dancing and dancers tempos etc than most other DJ`s put together and Richard Searling does a good job too. My main point was Money will not make a top DJ ..practice and experience will. Any way back to the main point boots,carvers re-issue or ovo etc . I say....Leave the label collectors to collecting and leave the DJ`s to entertaining. 

Edited by Petesi
Social source share

8 minutes ago, Petesi said:

Exceptions there will always be, and age will play a big part in that.  I cant speak for Butch as not really a rare soul fan BUT Andy Dyson has more idea about dancing and dancers tempos etc than most other DJ`s put together and Richard Searling does a good job too. My main point was Money will not make a top DJ ..practice and experience will. Any way back to the main point boots,carvers re-issue or ovo etc . I say....Leave the label collectors to collecting and leave the DJ`s to entertaining. 

The best Djs IMO are collectors. It is the depth of their collections and knowledge that give them the edge.  Hot boxers come and go. 

Everyone seems to equate Djing with spending lots of money but that shouldn’t be and isn’t the case.

There is certainly no nee to resort to playing bootlegs. There are countless 45s well within the budget of most good enough for the dancefloor and I would sooner hear these, a set put together with imagination.

There is no skill or imagination in a set full of expensive classics. 

• Up vote 3
Social source share

6 hours ago, Chalky said:

The best Djs IMO are collectors. It is the depth of their collections and knowledge that give them the edge.  Hot boxers come and go. 

Everyone seems to equate Djing with spending lots of money but that shouldn’t be and isn’t the case.

There is certainly no nee to resort to playing bootlegs. There are countless 45s well within the budget of most good enough for the dancefloor and I would sooner hear these, a set put together with imagination.

There is no skill or imagination in a set full of expensive classics. 

We are basically saying much of the same thing with a minor difference of opinion on the grey areas, and dont even start me on the " Awake 502"  discussion.😉

Edited by Petesi
miss spelt
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!