Is Playing A Boot At A Venue Ever Acceptable

102 posts and there's your answer.

no its not Matt .... 102 posts and its one of the answers. read back through and you will see there are various answers yet again. And yet again we have the "right thing" being said for the forum...but not neccesarily what is always done in practice :wink:

Edited by mikecook
Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

What happens if a DJ does play a bootleg,are the Soul Police called and the offender banned from DJ'ing for a while or fined (or both)

at my venue, the best that will happen is they will never dj for us again , the worst(and depending what mood i'm in) is they are removed from the decks in mid spot and told never to darken our door again

Social source share

Yeah... sure, play whatever, boots, second issues, CDs. We're kinda chilled about things like that on here :wicked: :wicked:

thats made me giggle, someone with a sense of humour on soul source!

great! :thumbsup:

Social source share

if it sounds exactly the same I couldnt give a fook if it was played on jews harp and spoons

and another giggle, i need to read these forums more often.

cheers up guys , its Saturday!

Social source share

what about playing a reissue of Frank Beverly .... how would you stand on that ?

Its simple really: Its Black or White with lots of Grey Areas

ha!..well i actually did that at go go a few years back on inferno before i had it on sassy...it was for a good friends birthday,his fave tune and all that...but as a rule only on the 3 yankie 60s issues...as there wasnt a 60s uk issue

dean

Social source share

ha!..well i actually did that at go go a few years back on inferno before i had it on sassy...it was for a good friends birthday,his fave tune and all that...but as a rule only on the 3 yankie 60s issues...as there wasnt a 60s uk issue

dean

not having a pop Dean...i'm just saying that what is sometimes said on here aint what actually happens.

Its simple really: Its Black or White with lots of Grey Areas :wink:

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

no its not Matt .... 102 posts and its one of the answers. read back through and you will see there are various answers yet again. And yet again we have the "right thing" being said for the forum...but not neccesarily what is always done in practice :wink:

There is such a thing as the right answer you know? :lol:

You keep saying it's all shades of gray etc... Mike, but for me and Dave and many others it's black and white, you just don't play boots and that's it. You keep coming up with the same old chestnut of people on here imposing their 'rules' on others, we've been here before haven't we? No one is saying there are rules, people are giving opinions that they believe are right. I and others happen to think that playing boots is unimaginative and certainly not necessary these days, and as Pete said earlier if it's been booted then 99% of the time it's probably overplayed anyway.

We all know what people say and what people do are different in practice and I believe that if a promoter wants his DJs to play boots and the customers don't mind, and it's clear the venue plays boots, then that's their choice. In my opinion it's a mistake. Personally what I say and do are the same thing. It's called integrity. If anyone has ever played a boot at Move On then they've done it without my knowledge.

Anyway, massive issue that's been done to death and not worth falling out over. :thumbsup:

Social source share

I know some DJ's who play some monster originals but still throw in the odd boot,obviously the crowd think it's an original as 95% of the DJ's playlist is genuine.I'm talking along the lines of playing Al Williams on Palmer,then Ray Pollard on Shrine followed by a John & The Weirdest boot.

ohi :g: .i play all 3 of those and folks that know me know where the record mentiond came from i also let anyone examine them any time they like , forgive me if i sound just that little bit paranoid but talk like this can also cause a lot of bother and we all know how friendly this scene is :no: so with talk like this i think it only right that you say just exactly who you are talking about ? and who you are ?

Social source share

Absolutley Not :no: I try my very best to go to venues that have a OVO policy, not that i`m a collector or anything ( I leave that to the big lads ) im just a music loving punter :thumbsup: Ive seen first hand the effort put in of ppl travelling all over the show to bring us these gems, also the hard saving some do to reach their ultimate collections of original , W/D etc ...........you may well think what the f**k she on about ? in a nut shell this is my vho ...............If I pay £10 to get into a venue which states ovo i expect to get what it says on the tin or i may aswell stay at home and play the boots which YES i have.........hense the saying "anyone can be a dj"if i can be gaurenteed ov i would be prepared to pay £20 to listen to them :thumbsup:

Thats my pennyworth :D

Regards

Julie :hatsoff2:

Social source share

So nearly 3 pages on this & here is the conclusion that we always come to.............................

No..............................but if .....................................that's ok !!!!

Glad we are all agreed on that then !!!!

Just as an aside - Original, boot, reissue, emidisc, carver, CD, minidisc, USB stick, Traktor or laptop - what is the effect on your "dancing experience" when any of these mediums are played ?

Social source share

as long as you're 100% sure then thats fine..........down northants way they all do......don,t expect anything else from em thats why we don,t attend em either atb T

Absolutely, positively sure.

To Whit

Heywood

Bradford EBUC

Burscough B. L.

are three that spring immediately to mind..

Apologies to any I've missed, but these are probably the ones I go to on a regular basis, for reasonds that should be obvious.

Regards

Tony

Social source share

ohi :g: .i play all 3 of those and folks that know me know where the record mentiond came from i also let anyone examine them any time they like , forgive me if i sound just that little bit paranoid but talk like this can also cause a lot of bother and we all know how friendly this scene is :no: so with talk like this i think it only right that you say just exactly who you are talking about ? and who you are ?

I'm just talking about DJ'S in general,i still say most top DJ'S don't play 100% originals,ie.Al Williams on La Beat could be considered a re-issue technically,as i said i was just talking in general and haven't heard you DJ or know of you.

Social source share

This is funny, all this and all the payin punter wants is to dance to the music thats inside the grooves, no matter from what grooves it comes from.

Havin said that i made myself look a complete tw*t at Cleethorpes weekender. A well known respected DJ of long standing was doing an immense spot when he flicked on Billy Woods, now me being a collector who knows his onions was just a wondering....is it?? i hopped up to the decks to be greeted with the bootleg white promo doing the turns on the deck. Shock horror and i gave him a knowing look of "i did not think it would be" What a tw*t i suddenly became (again!!) as he pulled from his DJ box a fookin mint multi coloured ISSUE!! in company sleeve.....he then proceeded to give me that same knowing look i gave him 30secs earlier, i just smiled and crawled back from where i came from...........never gonna do it again!! lesson well and truly learned. :facepalm:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

as long as you're 100% sure then thats fine..........down northants way they all do......don,t expect anything else from em thats why we don,t attend em either atb T

Who told you that Terry? Is this another one of your fictitous " I've seen it with my own eyes" occasions again?

By your own admission you play boots and you,ve also had other occassions where it,s cropped up......the crowd that attend these venues don,t give a fig.......and thats why it,s o.k at these type of venues........but just to put the record straight.....Al Leighton,nidge,cliff,trev,val,lenny and of course danny and john mcc all play 100% proper records however at least 5 of them will not dj in the area.......for any of the local promoters

Edited by gordon russell
Social source share

Guest davethedisc

i'll not be playing my CUB issue of 'let me be your boy' then? or my black Bell issue of Bob brady ?? those who frown on UK issues (1st or subsequent) & pukka U.S releases need to get off soap boxes. ridiculous!

Well, well, well, interesting comments given that only a short time ago on this very website you were championing the OVO route "They play OVO only and I'll be following suit" you even added the strapline on your posts along the lines of "OVO quality it's the only way". You seem to be confused (deluded) about the authenticity of certain "releases". I would say that those who have not passed their "11 plus" in Northern Soul studies should not enter in to debates on the subject with those who posses a "degree". I don't have a (re) issue with people playing boots, but if you have to, show some respect to the other DJs who are on and have original copies to play and keep those "low fidelity" versions in your box. I've been listening to, buying and trying to dance to Northern Soul for about thirty six years now and in all that time it's always been about respect, nobody has a divine right or "copyright" on any aspect of the scene. You pay your money and make your choice. Whether you want it authentic and original or dressed up in "lace and bows" like some sort of "Disney does Northern" just don't make out you're something your not you're only fooling yourself.

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

To Whit

Heywood

Bradford EBUC

Burscough B. L.

Apologies to any I've missed, but these are probably the ones I go to on a regular basis, for reasonds that should be obvious.

Regards

Tony

Tony......l have said "down northants way" l can,t speak for other areas......atb tezza :)

Social source share

I'm just talking about DJ'S in general,i still say most top DJ'S don't play 100% originals,ie.Al Williams on La Beat could be considered a re-issue technically,as i said i was just talking in general and haven't heard you DJ or know of you.

ok thats fair enough , its funny you mentiond the all williams on la beat as a freind of mine who has the record on la beat. he is always saying his is the label to have it on . ive never realy given it mutch thought myself

Social source share

Are you for real ????

Al Williams on LA Beat ..a re-issue :ohmy::lol:

I've heard it all now .....

lets break it down ....re-issues = records cut to supply the demand for a record ,that was made quite some yrs earlier ,to allow people who neither care for, nor wish to pay for a real one..

boots = records made to try and dupe unsuspecting soul collectors to buy ,thinking they are original ..oh and for those who neither care for ,nor wish to pay for a real one..

Some people say the four voices on the gold label are the exception to the rule as they were actually re-released by the band a few yrs after they cut the original green voice copies....

But sadly even the gold copies have been re-issued ...or booted :g: ,which begs me to ask the question ...why didnt they boot the green ones :g:

But a La Beat ..and im no expert ,nor am i gonna scour the net to find the actual facts ..would have been cut when Al Williams was actually singing the record and being payed royalties from any original sales .

La Beat / Palmer ..both original copies ..both rare and imho upto the collector which one you like or desire the most :yes:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Some people say the four voices on the gold label are the exception to the rule as they were actually re-released by the band a few yrs after they cut the original green voice copies....

If "by a few years" they mean 20+ years, then by all means! :lol::g: The gold labeled Four Voices 45 is from the mid-80's at the very earliest, probably more like early 90's. Regardless of its legality, the fact that it was done from the original plates or who reissued it... it's a totally worthless record to someone who collects original releases.

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

If "by a few years" they mean 20+ years, then by all means! :lol::g: The gold labeled Four Voices 45 is from the mid-80's at the very earliest, probably more like early 90's. Regardless of its legality, the fact that it was done from the original plates or who reissued it... it's a totally worthless record to someone who collects original releases.

Would agree totally Sebastian ...GREEN VOICE only for me ..but some people who play it on gold,have used such excuse ..believe me ,ive heard it :yes:

Social source share

This is funny, all this and all the payin punter wants is to dance to the music thats inside the grooves, no matter from what grooves it comes from.

Havin said that i made myself look a complete tw*t at Cleethorpes weekender. A well known respected DJ of long standing was doing an immense spot when he flicked on Billy Woods, now me being a collector who knows his onions was just a wondering....is it?? i hopped up to the decks to be greeted with the bootleg white promo doing the turns on the deck. Shock horror and i gave him a knowing look of "i did not think it would be" What a tw*t i suddenly became (again!!) as he pulled from his DJ box a fookin mint multi coloured ISSUE!! in company sleeve.....he then proceeded to give me that same knowing look i gave him 30secs earlier, i just smiled and crawled back from where i came from...........never gonna do it again!! lesson well and truly learned. :facepalm:

so now its ok to play the bootleg if you have the original but dont want to risk damaging it incase it reduces your investment , seen this done on a couple of occasions by a dj or 2 in my area but still dont think its right

Social source share

MickH has a scratchy hissey copy ( on Demo ) of Gwen Owens and plays it. He could get a 'copy' for £20 but he has integrity and carries the spirit of Northern Soul with him. I would be embarrassed and ashamed to play it in his presence. You should therefore assume that other DJs may be carrying an Original copy of what you are about to play out in there box. Don't do it. Have respect for the music. Go to The louvre, they put up a Print of The Mona Lisa but, hey, they have the original in their Vaults. Would you accept that, I think not !!!

Social source share

How can Al Williams be considered a re-issue? It came before Palmer.

Social source share

so now its ok to play the bootleg if you have the original but dont want to risk damaging it incase it reduces your investment , seen this done on a couple of occasions by a dj or 2 in my area but still dont think its right

Is it ok to play a re-issue if you used to own an original but have since sold it :g:

Please say yes :yes: ....ive sold more rare records than i now own .........and better ones too :D

Joking aside ....it's down to your own integrity what path you take ..but don't be surprised if peope lose respect for you as a dj ,if you choose to try and dupe peope and get caught out :(

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest kev such

By your own admission you play boots and you,ve also had other occassions where it,s cropped up......the crowd that attend these venues don,t give a fig.......and thats why it,s o.k at these type of venues........but just to put the record straight.....Al Leighton,nidge,cliff,trev,val,lenny and of course danny and john mcc all play 100% proper records however at least 5 of them will not dj in the area.......for any of the local promoters

By my own admission YES I USED to play boots, past tense. And I hold my hands up that on 2 seperate occassions 2 guests I have booked turned up and their collections were not OVO, as they had led me to believe. On both occassions as soon as I was informed I came off the door and went up to the dj's in question and pointed out in no uncertain terms that The Cream Cracker is 100% OVO. Ask John as he was in the room on the first incident and he can testify that while he was throwing a hissy fit I went up to the stage and did my job. Hammie, Nidge and Ian J were there on the night and can testify this. We do not play boots and you really are going to have to stop listening to childish tittle tattle. In the past I have sent you my number on numerous occassions to iron out any discrepancies, but you have ALWAYS declined to ring or meet me. May I suggest that you check any discrepancies before posting on public forums,as I have said before you can call me, I'll even call you back so you dont have to pay for the call. I have nothing to hide and I will tell you straight good or bad Terry.

Very kind regards

Kev

Edited by kev such
Social source share

I think what you mean to say is that most people people that play at local soul nights don't play originals, but then in truth they're not DJs...are they ?

I don't know any 'top DJs' that play re-issues, it's one of the reasons they are top DJs... they don't compromise.... fact.

As for your thoughts on Al Williams on La Beat..... well that just about puts into perspective your first statement...... you just don't what you're talking about. :no:

Social source share

Guest JimSLH

:hatsoff2: HI That's a great question, that I don't know the answer to, I have done a little bit of DJing, but nothing this side of 2000, why! as I have a decent collection, I admit that I am a blockhead but thats no reason, i put it down to this, if the venue has not got a record dealer selling rare soul, you can guarantee that the music is not on original records, that is not to say you are in for a bad night, far from it, the issue though is if you are at an all nighters, this is time to egg and flour the DJ time :thumbup: DAVE

At the Venue I run we would dream of playing boots

and have no dealers but they have been invited

Social source share

Are you for real ????

Al Williams on LA Beat ..a re-issue :ohmy::lol:

I've heard it all now .....

lets break it down ....re-issues = records cut to supply the demand for a record ,that was made quite some yrs earlier ,to allow people who neither care for, nor wish to pay for a real one..

boots = records made to try and dupe unsuspecting soul collectors to buy ,thinking they are original ..oh and for those who neither care for ,nor wish to pay for a real one..

But sadly even the gold copies have been re-issued ...or booted :g: ,which begs me to ask the question ...why didnt they boot the green ones :g:

But a La Beat ..and im no expert ,nor am i gonna scour the net to find the actual facts ..would have been cut when Al Williams was actually singing the record and being payed royalties from any original sales .

La Beat / Palmer ..both original copies ..both rare and imho upto the collector which one you like or desire the most :yes:

I did use the word 'technically',i was using Al Williams as an example of certain records which were originally cut on small independant labels to be later 're-issued' by larger labels, examples Billy Thompson Columbus/Wand, Al Williams Palmer/La Beat, Sandy Waddy SOS/Wand.
Social source share

To Whit

Heywood

Bradford EBUC

Burscough B. L.

Regards

Tony

you forgot Les' do

Social source share

would like to add dave vanner , smiggy and kev such to that list , kev now spends a fair bit of money on ov vynal , his past is behind him .

not every venue in northants plays boots or pressings terry , the cracker has had its problems in the past with certain djs playing dodgy records

a so called big name dj from derby , ( who conned his way in for a spot ) another from the peterborough area , 2 djs in the past 4 years .

is it the promoters fault or the djs ?, hes had some good lads on with nice ov collections at the cracker he does try not like others around this area who could not give a toss. best nige

Social source share

I did use the word 'technically',i was using Al Williams as an example of certain records which were originally cut on small independant labels to be later 're-issued' by larger labels, examples Al Williams Palmer/La Beat, .

LaBeat was the local release, Palmer the later national release. Either way they are still both originals (same for the other examples you gave), nothing technically about it.

Social source share

How can Al Williams be considered a re-issue? It came before Palmer.

OK sorry i thought Palmer was the original release, well in that case you could argue that technically the La Beat release is a re-issue,i'm using the word loosely as in O J Simpson technically didn't murder his wife,oh and for the record the Grapevine release would do me.
Social source share

the most amount of people say they don,t play boots.........but they DO........theres not a local venue (to me that is ) that dosn,t whatever they may say......it,s a fact of life at soul nights and perfectly ok the important factor at these events is that they are there behind those decks by hook or by crook what format they use is (to them ) irrelevant at the venue, only important they say the right thing on this site ........places l go have dj,s with proper records and mainly stuff that wouldn,t even be on the bootleg radar.......there have however been a few rumours at the odd nighter that all is not right

Hi Peg,

Would just like to say that here at "Backstreet" in Norwich we have a policy of original vinyl only - some of the guys have been collecting for 40+ plus years and would never play a bootleg (and probably don't own one!)

To be honest most of our crowd probably don't give a monkeys but to those that DJ and myself it is a no brainer...OVO

Mark C

ps...I see you now have a son/daughter at the UEA so pay us a visit if your next trip coincides...

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Hi Peg,

Would just like to say that here at "Backstreet" in Norwich we have a policy of original vinyl only - some of the guys have been collecting for 40+ plus years and would never play a bootleg (and probably don't own one!)

To be honest most of our crowd probably don't give a monkeys but to those that DJ and myself it is a no brainer...OVO

Mark C

ps...I see you now have a son/daughter at the UEA so pay us a visit if your next trip coincides...

hello mark, hope you're well after your op..........next time we,re up we,ll let ya know and come round for a beer/coffee.....you're sorely missed out and about.....atb tezza & jan

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Hi Peg,

Mark C

hello mark, hope you're well after your op..........next time we,re up we,ll let ya know and come round for a beer/coffee.....you're sorely missed out and about.....atb tezza & jan

would like to add dave vanner , smiggy and kev such to that list , kev now spends a fair bit of money on ov vynal , his past is behind him .

not every venue in northants plays boots or pressings terry , the cracker has had its problems in the past with certain djs playing dodgy records

a so called big name dj from derby , ( who conned his way in for a spot ) another from the peterborough area , 2 djs in the past 4 years .

is it the promoters fault or the djs ?, hes had some good lads on with nice ov collections at the cracker he does try not like others around this area who could not give a toss. best nige

hello mate........how ya doing....you did a good spot at smiggys.....my problem with kev is he don,t attend other folks venues,but he loves soul music umm!...he shows no respect to the lifeline boys by living a mere hour and a half from thier venue ,but never going yet he sends his flyers up there regularly.......who would not wanna hear the best two dj,s ever butch and andy beggars belief and also questions his words.....ie words and actions don,t match thats all........always a great pleasure to see you....again thanks for the tune at smiggy's atb tezza

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Hi Peg,

Mark C

hello mate........how ya doing....you did a good spot at smiggys.....my problem with kev is he don,t attend other folks venues,but he loves soul music umm!...he shows no respect to the lifeline boys by living a mere hour and a half from thier venue ,but never going yet he sends his flyers up there regularly.......who would not wanna hear the best two dj,s ever butch and andy beggars belief and also questions his words.....ie words and actions don,t match thats all........always a great pleasure to see you....again thanks for the tune at smiggy's atb tezza

LaBeat was the local release, Palmer the later national release. Either way they are still both originals (same for the other examples you gave), nothing technically about it.

By my own admission YES I USED to play boots, past tense. And I hold my hands up that on 2 seperate occassions 2 guests I have booked turned up and their collections were not OVO, as they had led me to believe. On both occassions as soon as I was informed I came off the door and went up to the dj's in question and pointed out in no uncertain terms that The Cream Cracker is 100% OVO. Ask John as he was in the room on the first incident and he can testify that while he was throwing a hissy fit I went up to the stage and did my job. Hammie, Nidge and Ian J were there on the night and can testify this. We do not play boots and you really are going to have to stop listening to childish tittle tattle. In the past I have sent you my number on numerous occassions to iron out any discrepancies, but you have ALWAYS declined to ring or meet me. May I suggest that you check any discrepancies before posting on public forums,as I have said before you can call me, I'll even call you back so you dont have to pay for the call. I have nothing to hide and I will tell you straight good or bad Terry.

Very kind regards

Kev

Don,t understand your reply.....you,ve just said boots get played sorry fella why do you need to talk over the phone to say what you've said on here.......you saw me at smiggy's ?........strange?......

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

my problem with kev is he don,t attend other folks venues,but he loves soul music umm!...he shows no respect to the lifeline boys by living a mere hour and a half from thier venue ,but never going yet he sends his flyers up there regularly.......who would not wanna hear the best two dj,s ever butch and andy beggars belief and also questions his words.....ie words and actions don,t match thats all........always a great pleasure to see you....again thanks for the tune at smiggy's atb tezza

I don't know any of you so this is totally unbiased, but maybe Lifeline isn't his thing ? For example I love soul music and I went to the first Lifeline and being honest I didn't like it, in fact I could live next door to it and wouldn't go because I didn't like it.... that doesn't make him a bad person does it ?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!