Just A Little Misunderstanding

Guest Marky Tee

Hi,

I have only posted a handful of times before, but wonder if i may offer my thoughts on a topic that seems current.....?

I am in my late 40's, started attending soul nighters at Clifton Hall, Rotherham circa 81-82, and since then have sporadically attended soul do's all over the country, from Stafford to the 100 Club, Blackburn to St Ives etc as so many of you will have done.....however.....i have never collected, i listen to 'soul' music for 2 hours every day travelling to/from work, and i will forever be thankful i found music that can both make the hairs on my neck stand up or nearly reduce me to tears of joy....i really envy those born years before me who did Wigan, Torch, Wheel, Catacombs etc..

Over the last 3-4 years i have not ventured much further than local nights and weekenders but always imagined 'us' to be one big, tolerant, 'family' whose common love for the genre transcended any smaller differences.

I've always believed there are only opinions in life, no absolute right and wrong, whether it be choice of literature, politics, football teams etc etc, but just lately all i seem to read/hear is divisive sniping, where upfront people taking the scene forward are at odds with dinosaur handbaggers covered in talc! (terms i've read, not mine!)

I don't like to categorise myself in either of those, as stated i have never collected, know very little about the actual tracks, could not tell you the catalogue numbers of releases on Shrine, or who wrote them, i could probably not even define an 'oldie' - i used to get C90 cassettes compiled by DJs - i must have close to 200 with ~40 tracks on each, with little duplication, yet i can attend a soul night that consists of 80% i have never heard before, such is the wealth of material uncovered for people like me by collectors over the decades, for which i thank them and am grateful.

I am always looking to hear a new track (to me) that blows my mind, but after a hard weeks work, when i splash on the aftershave and attend a do, i do like a fair portion of that night to be stuff i know so i can take to the dancefloor and lose myself in the music.

One of the best quotes i read on here a short time ago was (apologies if i get it wrong) that a gent called Pete Lawson had said to someone that the definition of a great track is that it sounds as great when you next hear it as it did when you first heard it - that sums it up for me........

My point? sorry, i'm rambling away here knowing what i want to say but finding it hard to articulate...why does one person have to be 'right' and another 'wrong' - why does one soul do sneer in an elitist stylee at another one for their policy, or promoters?

I have attended Bradford, Radcliffe, Drax and a few others in the past 3 months and have had great times at them all, albeit some better than others - some i will definately attend again, others i may choose to miss, but i will certainly not slag any of them off, either in private or public

I sometimes attend soul nights where much of the music is 'new' to me - if so, albeit frustrated at not getting my time in on the dancefloor, i try and source playlists and see whats on YouTube, in that way, instead of calling the night/venue/dj/promoter, i find some of these sounds become new favourites (although as with anything, some leave me cold and always will) and i can eventually dance to them the next time i hear them played.

Thank you to anyone who's persevered with this, i've wrote so much and said so little, (i'll put it down to the male menopause!) but i've always thought of folk i don't know at nighters/nights/weekenders as friends i've not yet been introduced to (as the Irish may say) - i would hate to think there are various factions passing snide looks & comments re peoples attire or the tracks they're dancing to...........i'm an old hippie/idealistic fool at heart who actually believes we can all get along fine if we accept and respect each others differences.

Well said mate, I agree with the vast majority of what you say.

The one thing to remember at all times is THIS IS YOUR SCENE!!!!!!!!!! It is not the personal property of the soul snobs who have attended every elite soul event since 1960 and own every original tune ever made. Equally it is not the property of the handbag brigade who are diluting the scene somewhat with no knowledge and no intention or desire to open their ears, minds or purses. It is whatever you want it to be. Enjoy your music, enjoy your dancing, keep your mind open to new sounds, new venues and new friends. Don't let anyone make you feel inferior to them because of where they reckon they have been, or what they have in their boxes.

If Wigan/Torch/Wheel/Cleggy was actually attended by all the people who claim to have actually attended they would have to have been be housed in giant aircraft hangars. Take a lot of what's said with a pinch of salt. But above all ................ ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!!

KTF

MT

Social source share

Guest Marky Tee

MT - thank you for taking the time to read and respond to my post, your says so succinctly what i was trying to say, and in a fifth of the words!

Next time i'll ask if you could truncate my posts for me! :)

Wise words mate - KTF

we will probably be excommunicated for this blasphemy lol

Social source share

Hi,

I have only posted a handful of times before, but wonder if i may offer my thoughts on a topic that seems current.....?

I am in my late 40's, started attending soul nighters at Clifton Hall, Rotherham circa 81-82, and since then have sporadically attended soul do's all over the country, from Stafford to the 100 Club, Blackburn to St Ives etc as so many of you will have done.....however.....i have never collected, i listen to 'soul' music for 2 hours every day travelling to/from work, and i will forever be thankful i found music that can both make the hairs on my neck stand up or nearly reduce me to tears of joy....i really envy those born years before me who did Wigan, Torch, Wheel, Catacombs etc..

Over the last 3-4 years i have not ventured much further than local nights and weekenders but always imagined 'us' to be one big, tolerant, 'family' whose common love for the genre transcended any smaller differences.

I've always believed there are only opinions in life, no absolute right and wrong, whether it be choice of literature, politics, football teams etc etc, but just lately all i seem to read/hear is divisive sniping, where upfront people taking the scene forward are at odds with dinosaur handbaggers covered in talc! (terms i've read, not mine!)

I don't like to categorise myself in either of those, as stated i have never collected, know very little about the actual tracks, could not tell you the catalogue numbers of releases on Shrine, or who wrote them, i could probably not even define an 'oldie' - i used to get C90 cassettes compiled by DJs - i must have close to 200 with ~40 tracks on each, with little duplication, yet i can attend a soul night that consists of 80% i have never heard before, such is the wealth of material uncovered for people like me by collectors over the decades, for which i thank them and am grateful.

I am always looking to hear a new track (to me) that blows my mind, but after a hard weeks work, when i splash on the aftershave and attend a do, i do like a fair portion of that night to be stuff i know so i can take to the dancefloor and lose myself in the music.

One of the best quotes i read on here a short time ago was (apologies if i get it wrong) that a gent called Pete Lawson had said to someone that the definition of a great track is that it sounds as great when you next hear it as it did when you first heard it - that sums it up for me........

My point? sorry, i'm rambling away here knowing what i want to say but finding it hard to articulate...why does one person have to be 'right' and another 'wrong' - why does one soul do sneer in an elitist stylee at another one for their policy, or promoters?

I have attended Bradford, Radcliffe, Drax and a few others in the past 3 months and have had great times at them all, albeit some better than others - some i will definately attend again, others i may choose to miss, but i will certainly not slag any of them off, either in private or public

I sometimes attend soul nights where much of the music is 'new' to me - if so, albeit frustrated at not getting my time in on the dancefloor, i try and source playlists and see whats on YouTube, in that way, instead of calling the night/venue/dj/promoter, i find some of these sounds become new favourites (although as with anything, some leave me cold and always will) and i can eventually dance to them the next time i hear them played.

Thank you to anyone who's persevered with this, i've wrote so much and said so little, (i'll put it down to the male menopause!) but i've always thought of folk i don't know at nighters/nights/weekenders as friends i've not yet been introduced to (as the Irish may say) - i would hate to think there are various factions passing snide looks & comments re peoples attire or the tracks they're dancing to...........i'm an old hippie/idealistic fool at heart who actually believes we can all get along fine if we accept and respect each others differences.

Hey Andy, Ali here :wave: from Radcliffe the other month, & Bradford Queens Hall 24 years ago :D

Nail on the head mate, and I know many people feel the same.

I read, with interest, many threads on here, lots of great ones, and some that have ended up in nothing more than a bxtch fest. I've learn't not to analyse the ones that, I feel, are negative, too much, as I love my soul life, and no keyboard warrior is going to change that. I make up my own mind what people I mix with, & which venues I go to (to be honest I like to mix with everyone & would try any venue) I refuse to be pidgeon holed into "rare" or "northern" or "oldies" or "modern" or "r&b" or "crossover" or "funk" I like the WHOLE DAMN LOT and I'm not afraid to admit it !!! and I won't say I like "just" a certain type, because it seems to be the "IN" thing to do (like I feel some do, but hey, each to their own)

It's my soul life and I'll live it how I like, and so should you, which I'm sure you are, but please don't worry about anything negative that get's said on here, there's a lot of positive so focus on that

Hope to see you out & about soon

Take care

Ali x

Edited by Alison H
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Hi Ali, Nice post, thanks for taking the time to respond.......wholeheartedly agree, was good to see you at Radcliffe also, long time since Bradford Queens Hall :) - hope to bump into you on our travels soon. Take care x

Edited by hullsoulie
Social source share

Refreshing to hear from one of the folk who imho is and always will be the mainstay of our scene.

Scene is the important word though .. without the cynics, obsessives, And people who probably care about it a little to much..for there own good.

It would have been a passing fad.

Their contribution has been crucial..although I agree at times annoying..

Next time you are at a nighter / soul night, look around..... the vast majority are just like yourself, people with a real love of this (our) music.

Draw the line at the hand baggers though... ranting_1.gif spilling beer over talcing the floor....and not appreciating beat ballads & ghetto funk :lol:

I

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Read the post with interest and agree with points raised, the snobbery and sniping has been with us a long time (perhaps as soon as the phrase Northern Soul was coined) and will probably remain with us, but no matter what make sure you go to venues of your choice, enjoy what you hear whilst respecting the choice of others and most of all have a good time, anyway that works for me.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!