Mike

• Replies 4
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Matt Male

I went to Kops last time i was in Tornonto about 3-4 years ago. It was shockingly poor for rare / northern soul.

I agree, I went in a few years back as well. Lots of northern all along the back wall but mostly reissue labels and common stuff.

Boiling hot as well. Couldn't stand it for long. :lol:

Social source share

I agree, I went in a few years back as well. Lots of northern all along the back wall but mostly reissue labels and common stuff.

Boiling hot as well. Couldn't stand it for long. :lol:

You should have asked to see what he had in his cellar! I went there 3 times in the mid 80s and it was like Alladin's cave in the shop, even better in the cellar. And he let us stay at his house for a few nights going through stuff in the huge cellar there + his own rare records room. THEN we went to his warehouse! While we were there he took a call from Snooker's Steve Davis enquiring about a deep soul 45. We had a great time and Martin was a great host and fantastic in directing us to rare stuff. I was collecting R&B, Latin, just what I liked rather than what was rare (although R&B/Latin hadn't really taken off by then). I got a few copies of Use It Before You Lose It/The Hawg/Prince Conley etc etc. Sold a few and virtually paid for the trip! My mates were more into Northern and got loads of stuff inc Reatha Rees/Matthhew Barnett etc. Martin also took us to Bad Bob's record shop and The Beat Goes On in Niagra where I got a few mint copies of Little Queenie & Little Red Book & Solomon Burke on Mint London's!

Social source share

Bad Bob is now dead and his store has gone. Legend is there are 2 tractor trailers full of vinyl somewhere that used to belong to him.

I have to agree that Kops is a shadow of its former glory, even in the 12 years I have been here. Saying that he does have some good stuff come through if you are there before it ships to UK. Last time it was HB Barnum - Heartbreaker on mint Canadian Capitol.

Aki at Cosmos is WWWAAAYYY over priced but it pays to ask to go into his basement. Had a good score there 2 or 3 years ago.

Sonic Boom is shite for 45's

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert