Articles: A Look at Billboard via Google Books

Rob Moss

• Replies 5
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

There's a complete set (along with Cashbox) in the UK National Sound archive in Kensington. I once spent a week there going through them photopying many adverts'n'info...I'm sure the staff thought I was mad spending so much money!

Some of the adverts are amazing in that there are full/half-page ads for what we may think were obscure releases...Delcos - Arabia, Tommy Navarro - DeJac, Silky Hargraves - Dearborn, Lee Rogers - D.Town, Frank Howard - Barry, Barbara Mills - Hickory etc...I have a few scanned up on my site...have a look:

https://capitolsoulclub.homestead.com/souladverts.html

:thumbup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

As the title suggests, ‘Billboard’ magazine began life as a trade paper for the bill posting industry at a time when slapping posters on blank walls was viewed as a helpful and constructive pursuit, not an act of anti social vandalism. It was started in 1894 by two American visionaries called William Donaldson and James Hennegan as a ‘paper of record’ for circuses, carnivals, amusement parks, fairs, minstrel shows, whale displays and whatever else appealed to the public taste of the day, and evolved into a publication that covered motion pictures in 1909, radio in 19...

this is an 500 chrs clip of the article - use link below to view the article in full (images, video etc)

Click here to view the soul article in full

Hello again Rob,

hope all is well for you mate.......

Thanks for posting this up,some really amazing looking ads on there.......excellent info too

Best, Ivor

Social source share

Excellent article - well put together and a very good read. Billboard is an essential archive for anyone looking to do a bit of info digging on artists, labels and the music industry as a whole. It's been a great source of information for me about Loma Records.

I have to admit to missing the item on the Billy Storm sales, but that just goes to show what a real treasure trove it is. Keep looking and you're sure to find out something else you didn't know.

Through the Google Books archive of Billboard, I came across a number of Loma trade ads, which I've subsequently been able to track down physical copies of. Without a doubt, it's one of the greatest musical resources on the web.

Social source share

Hello again Rob,

hope all is well for you mate.......

Thanks for posting this up,some really amazing looking ads on there.......excellent info too

Best, Ivor

Great to hear from you Ivor. Hope you are 'in the pink'! I'm fine ...gearing up for the Brothers of Soul on 22nd October. Glad you enjoyed the piece. It really is a fascinating resource.

Cheers

Rob

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!