Ian Dewhirst & A Cast Of Hundreds Talk Northern Soul History - Free Podcast

About two and half years ago I shot over to Essex to spend a day with my Six Million Steps colleagues......

Six Million Steps

https://sixmillionsteps.com

......we're a collective of Black Music fans who got together about 10 years ago and decided to pool resources and do albums, radio shows, mixes, club dates and passionate recordings/podcasts and shows.

One of the guys, J.J., likes nothing better than to spend 4 nights a week in a former mental institution which now houses the studio that the guys have used since the beginning. His workrate is prolific (check out the website and you'll see what I mean).

Anyway, J.J. had been bugging me for ages to do a Northern Soul show that he could produce. So I did it. That was 3 years ago LOL....

Finally Part 1 is ready. I've just listened to it and it's like all my favourite records but interspersed with me waxing lyrical about the scene in the early 70's but J.J.'s somehow managed to dig up hundreds of interviews with both fans and plenty of stalwarts of the scene - I think I caught the dulcit tones of Keb Darge, Tim Brown and Richard Searling on there but I'm sure I've missed loads of others.

It's very tasteful. God bless J.J. He did a lovely job IMO! Hope ya like it.

Ian Dewhirst & A Cast Of Hundreds Talk Northern Soul History - Part 1

https://www.sixmillionsteps.com/ams/6MS-JJSmokingSessions-83.mp3

Ian D :D

Social source share

• Replies 5
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

fantastic ! And i can listen to it on my mobile. Thanks

You're welcome Toad. I'm on the second listen and I think it comes across OK. Now, instead of having to spend half an hour trying to explain what Northern Soul was all about to people who don't understand, I can just send 'em a link...... :lol:

Social source share

Guest mickeyb

About two and half years ago I shot over to Essex to spend a day with my Six Million Steps colleagues......

Six Million Steps

https://sixmillionsteps.com

......we're a collective of Black Music fans who got together about 10 years ago and decided to pool resources and do albums, radio shows, mixes, club dates and passionate recordings/podcasts and shows.

One of the guys, J.J., likes nothing better than to spend 4 nights a week in a former mental institution which now houses the studio that the guys have used since the beginning. His workrate is prolific (check out the website and you'll see what I mean).

Anyway, J.J. had been bugging me for ages to do a Northern Soul show that he could produce. So I did it. That was 3 years ago LOL....

Finally Part 1 is ready. I've just listened to it and it's like all my favourite records but interspersed with me waxing lyrical about the scene in the early 70's but J.J.'s somehow managed to dig up hundreds of interviews with both fans and plenty of stalwarts of the scene - I think I caught the dulcit tones of Keb Darge, Tim Brown and Richard Searling on there but I'm sure I've missed loads of others.

It's very tasteful. God bless J.J. He did a lovely job IMO! Hope ya like it.

Ian Dewhirst & A Cast Of Hundreds Talk Northern Soul History - Part 1

https://www.sixmillionsteps.com/ams/6MS-JJSmokingSessions-83.mp3

Thanks Frank! Brilliant. Do a Salsoul one too and achieve legendary status again in our house.

Social source share

Thanks all. By the way, here's the tracklist which is a bit like a list of my most played records at the time but the whole thing was really designed to explain what Northern Soul was all about to people who don't understand what it was all about......

Four Tops - I Can't Help Myself

Bobby Treetop - Wait Til I Get To Know You

Salvadors - Stick By Me Baby

Alexander Patton - A Little Lovin' Sometimes

Lou Pride - I'm Com'un Home In The Morn'un

Tobi Legend - Time Will Pass You By

Tomangoes - I Really Love You

Detroit Executives - Cool Off

Frankie Beverly & The Butlers - If That's What You Wanted

Bob Relf - Blowing My Mind To Pieces

Invitations - Skiing In The Snow

Mel Britt - She'll Come Running Back

Duke Browner - Crying Over You

Kenny Smith - Lord What's Happening To Your People

Jodie Mathis - Don't You Care Anymore

Patrice Holloway - Stolen Hours

Billy Woods - Let Me Make You Happy

Frankie Crocker - Ton Of Dynamite

Carstairs - It Really Hurts Me Girl

Richard Popcorn Wylie - Rosemary What Happened (instrumental version)

Timi Yuro - It'll Never Be Over For Me

Jimmy Radcliffe - Long After Tonight Is Over

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!